IGNORED

Just Got Back From Northampton

Loderingo

Anyone who wants the short report - see last year's home games against Burnley and Blackburn.

Sixfields was an OK lower league ground. City fans had the East stand and a section of the North stand. Pretty good turn out from City. The Coventry fans were pretty much all in the Grandstand. I suspect there were quite a few locals going to see what the fuss was about - one guy I spoke to in the car park was a Blackburn season ticket holder living in Peterborough. Their lot were very quiet no anti-Sisu chants or banners, just a smattering of polite applause and a little bit of a song when they got their fifth.

City were playing towards the City end in the 1st half. Not particularly fluent but City had a bit more possession. Then they get a very soft penalty when Flint and the attacker looked to be going shoulder to shoulder. After that City got progressively worse. Coventry won all the balls in the air. They harried us when we had possession and frequently bullied us off the ball. You could see goals 2 and 3 coming. City were deservedly booed off at half time.

Half time Taylor replaced Kilkenny and City looked much better and more competitive. JET was again a shining light and was a big threat for us. Our goals were all up the other end so didn't get a great view.

I think it was their 4th that was a shocking goal to conceed. Lots of fumbling in the goal month before they slotted home. Elliott brought it level but not surprised to conceed another. If we had equalised in the 6 minutes of injury time they would surely have got a 6th!

All-in-all, Kilkenny deserved to be substituted. Fielding does not inspire me with confidence. He did his run off his line and kick it routine again today but got away with it this time. Didn't think Williams or Maloney were that great. Elliott got a goal but didn't do well enough defensively. Pack and Wagstaff looked decent.

I am not too downhearted. It was pleasing that we came back in the second half and we competed much better with a physical team. Hopefully there is a learning there for some of our youngsters. I still believe we can do well this year aslong as we learn the key lesson from today's game:

Liam Fontaine must NEVER be allowed to wear a City shirt EVER again.

I Don't blame O'Driscoll for giving him a second chance but this has to be the last chance he gets. He was a liability in the Championship and he is still a liability in league 1. We have just got a million for Adomah and we need to spend half of that on a decent league 1 centre back who can actually tackle! Even an average league 1 centre back would be better than Fontaine! Hey you could pay me 5k to stand there and have strikers run past me!

Seriously O'Driscoll and Burt need to act rapidly because I fear without action Fontaine will drag the rest of the team down with him. You can't expect the strikers to have to score SIX goals to win a football match.

Amazing how Fontaine is getting all the blame, he didn't lose his man for 2-0 or knock Wilson down for the pen

Fontaine isn't getting all the blame. The defence as a whole was poor, but Fontaine was definitely the worst.

And I'm not sure anyone knocked Wilson down for the penalty.

Wilson did the splayed leg trick that I could see from where I was, blame the Ref for falling for it and player for cheating.

Fontaine continues to commit the schoolboy error that we were all taught when kids - don't let the ball bounce! The defending throughout the game was as bad as anything I have ever seen.

We should also mention the 3 one on one's that Baldock squandered, if he took the first chance after 10 minutes, which was the easiest, we would have bossed the game.

Fair reflection of the game - top post

Forgot to add the referee was definitely a homer. Considering we were bullied off the ball at times it was a joke that we got 4 yellow cards and they got 2.

Maloney's not only looked harsh for not receiving a free-kick when he was brought down, he landed near enough the ball to pick it up having thought he'd deserved a free-kick. Stupid for the ref to book him, disrupted the flow and cause for concern down the right which was exploited as a result.

Fair reflection of the game - top post

Maloney's not only looked harsh for not receiving a free-kick when he was brought down, he landed near enough the ball to pick it up having thought he'd deserved a free-kick. Stupid for the ref to book him, disrupted the flow and cause for concern down the right which was exploited as a result.

Refs at this level are crap, as befits the third level of football :(

I listened on the radio but the impression I got was at 0-0 we had a few chances, a soft penalty was given and then much like last season our heads dropped and before we knew it we was 3-0 down.

They then go into the dressing room and SOD gives them a talk and then were back in the game, it's clear to me we need some real leaders on that pitch, some who are going to lift the other players when we go behind. When we do we lose our heads and we need some players that don't do that, we need players that following a goal are determined to turn the game around, players with a never say die attitude.

I don't think Fontaine is that bad, but he has been here a long time, most of that time we have been on a downwards spiral, I wouldn't blame him following the first goal going in he got a sense of here we go again what's the point, he has gone stale here and I think for himself he probably needs to look for a new club which will be beneficial to him.

Anyone who wants the short report - see last year's home games against Burnley and Blackburn.

Sixfields was an OK lower league ground. City fans had the East stand and a section of the North stand. Pretty good turn out from City. The Coventry fans were pretty much all in the Grandstand. I suspect there were quite a few locals going to see what the fuss was about - one guy I spoke to in the car park was a Blackburn season ticket holder living in Peterborough. Their lot were very quiet no anti-Sisu chants or banners, just a smattering of polite applause and a little bit of a song when they got their fifth.

City were playing towards the City end in the 1st half. Not particularly fluent but City had a bit more possession. Then they get a very soft penalty when Flint and the attacker looked to be going shoulder to shoulder. After that City got progressively worse. Coventry won all the balls in the air. They harried us when we had possession and frequently bullied us off the ball. You could see goals 2 and 3 coming. City were deservedly booed off at half time.

Half time Taylor replaced Kilkenny and City looked much better and more competitive. JET was again a shining light and was a big threat for us. Our goals were all up the other end so didn't get a great view.

I think it was their 4th that was a shocking goal to conceed. Lots of fumbling in the goal month before they slotted home. Elliott brought it level but not surprised to conceed another. If we had equalised in the 6 minutes of injury time they would surely have got a 6th!

All-in-all, Kilkenny deserved to be substituted. Fielding does not inspire me with confidence. He did his run off his line and kick it routine again today but got away with it this time. Didn't think Williams or Maloney were that great. Elliott got a goal but didn't do well enough defensively. Pack and Wagstaff looked decent.

I am not too downhearted. It was pleasing that we came back in the second half and we competed much better with a physical team. Hopefully there is a learning there for some of our youngsters. I still believe we can do well this year aslong as we learn the key lesson from today's game:

Liam Fontaine must NEVER be allowed to wear a City shirt EVER again.

I Don't blame O'Driscoll for giving him a second chance but this has to be the last chance he gets. He was a liability in the Championship and he is still a liability in league 1. We have just got a million for Adomah and we need to spend half of that on a decent league 1 centre back who can actually tackle! Even an average league 1 centre back would be better than Fontaine! Hey you could pay me 5k to stand there and have strikers run past me!

Seriously O'Driscoll and Burt need to act rapidly because I fear without action Fontaine will drag the rest of the team down with him. You can't expect the strikers to have to score SIX goals to win a football match.

Pretty much my thoughts, only I thought pack and wagstaff weren't that good, they lost the ball too much, baldock missed a chance when we were 2-0 down that he should have scored but city as a team were abysmal for the first half

Second half the team were better but not great, just we were better than coventry second half, appalling time wasting by one of their players when being subbed, Fontaine at fault for the 4th goal but I feel fielding could have done a lot better with it (although he shouldn't have needed to)

When Williams came on I thought he looked ok, didnt do much wrong but didnt stand out

Not long back from Sixfields. Wow, what a bizarre, exciting, mental & depressing 90 mins of football that was...

We got bullied today, badly. Coventry sported a team of physical, hard working (If not great technically) players who quite frankly made us look like a bunch of school girls for most of the game. I've never seen a Bristol City side look as narrow as it did today, and what the hell happened to the interchanging positions from our midfielders like what we saw at Gillingham? Pack is a talented boy who hardly ever gives the ball away, and he quite clearly has the eye for a telling through ball. So why he wasn't pushed further up the pitch at times I'll never know. That brings me to Elliot, yes he finished his goal well and he fought hard in the 2nd half, but I would have much rather had him sat in front of our back four like we saw Wynter do for the first few games.

Both defences were so bad at dealing from the ball over the top that it was like a bug in a video game. I'm not surprised to see both teams utilise it so much as both Coventry & ourselves were creating chance after chance through it. That style put Baldock through early in the game and he got his 2nd goal from a similar long ball. The kick and whoosh for Coventry's 4th goal was possibly one of worst pieces of defending I've ever seen in any standard of football ever. Terrible from Fontaine & then Fielding (I'm really not sure about this bloke either) The ball must have bounced 3 times in our box before their chap drilled it home.

Just so depressing to watch, and also on the verge of slap-stick comedy.

As for their winner, horrible ball watching with regards to the knock down at the back post, allowing their free running midfielder to slot home from 6 yards.

Yes, Fontaine was terrible, but Flint looked wobbly most of the game, and Maloney & Cunningham looked like scared rabbits. Can't remember if either of them managed to put a cross over which is a major disappointment considering their attacking qualities. Wagstaff seems to be full of running, but I'm not convinced he's full of quality, time will tell with that one.

JET looks one of the classiest players I've ever seen at this level, and we must work harder at giving him the ball to feet in and around the opponents box, and just getting him into the game whenever we can. Another great byline pull back/cross for our 1st goal and a great strike for the free-kick (Even with the help of a deflection) Also, his long throw in's caused all sorts of problems in the Coventry box, so that was nice to see.

Considering there were only 2000 in the ground, I would have thought to hear how vocal some of our players were. Well, I didn't hear much come out of anyone's mouth? Still think we lack a real leader, maybe it's Flint, maybe it's Pack, who knows. I'm just not sure Sammy B is the right man for the arm band.

We need to gather ourselves and go again against Wolves on Saturday. I'd like to see Bryan get a game for a bit of width down the left, and I'd like to see Pack & Wynter in the middle of the park with Wagstaff on the right. I'd also like to see Fontaine & Fielding dropped on their asses...

SOD, over to you...

You Reds :fingerscrossed:

Not long back from Sixfields. Wow, what a bizarre, exciting, mental & depressing 90 mins of football that was...

We got bullied today, badly. Coventry sported a team of physical, hard working (If not great technically) players who quite frankly made us look like a bunch of school girls for most of the game. I've never seen a Bristol City side look as narrow as it did today, and what the hell happened to the interchanging positions from our midfielders like what we saw at Gillingham? Pack is a talented boy who hardly ever gives the ball away, and he quite clearly has the eye for a telling through ball. So why he wasn't pushed further up the pitch at times I'll never know. That brings me to Elliot, yes he finished his goal well and he fought hard in the 2nd half, but I would have much rather had him sat in front of our back four like we saw Wynter do for the first few games.

Both defences were so bad at dealing from the ball over the top that it was like a bug in a video game. I'm not surprised to see both teams utilise it so much as both Coventry & ourselves were creating chance after chance through it. That style put Baldock through early in the game and he got his 2nd goal from a similar long ball. The kick and whoosh for Coventry's 4th goal was possibly one of worst pieces of defending I've ever seen in any standard of football ever. Terrible from Fontaine & then Fielding (I'm really not sure about this bloke either) The ball must have bounced 3 times in our box before their chap drilled it home.

Just so depressing to watch, and also on the verge of slap-stick comedy.

As for their winner, horrible ball watching with regards to the knock down at the back post, allowing their free running midfielder to slot home from 6 yards.

Yes, Fontaine was terrible, but Flint looked wobbly most of the game, and Maloney & Cunningham looked like scared rabbits. Can't remember if either of them managed to put a cross over which is a major disappointment considering their attacking qualities. Wagstaff seems to be full of running, but I'm not convinced he's full of quality, time will tell with that one.

JET looks one of the classiest players I've ever seen at this level, and we must work harder at giving him the ball to feet in and around the opponents box, and just getting him into the game whenever we can. Another great byline pull back/cross for our 1st goal and a great strike for the free-kick (Even with the help of a deflection) Also, his long throw in's caused all sorts of problems in the Coventry box, so that was nice to see.

Considering there were only 2000 in the ground, I would have thought to hear how vocal some of our players were. Well, I didn't hear much come out of anyone's mouth? Still think we lack a real leader, maybe it's Flint, maybe it's Pack, who knows. I'm just not sure Sammy B is the right man for the arm band.

We need to gather ourselves and go again against Wolves on Saturday. I'd like to see Bryan get a game for a bit of width down the left, and I'd like to see Pack & Wynter in the middle of the park with Wagstaff on the right. I'd also like to see Fontaine & Fielding dropped on their asses...

SOD, over to you...

You Reds :fingerscrossed:

Pretty Much agree with this.

My only emphasis would be on how bad Fielding is, or was today. Doesn't look comfortable receiving the ball and does not give our back four any confidence whatsoever. Seems a decent one on one keeper or shot stopper whatever you wanna call it, but that is not enough at this level. Although Fonts did have a shocker (again) today, why FF didn't come of his line for the 4th goal I will never ever know.

Still can't really get over what I've witnessed today, Elation, Despair, Pride, Frustration and just about every other feeling possible!!! The reaction and the feeling when our 3rd goal went in was just ******g insane, something I won't forget for a very long time.

Same again at MK Dons anyone!!!!!

Fontaine isn't getting all the blame. The defence as a whole was poor, but Fontaine was definitely the worst.

And I'm not sure anyone knocked Wilson down for the penalty.

You must have missed the 3-page merged thread on him then.

Flint barged into Wilson for the penalty, whether he went to ground easily is irrelevant. Making any sort of challenge when Wilson was at the byline and going nowhere was amateur, and as a result he thought it more wise to give him three yards of clear space to double the lead.

The pair are both badly culpable for today but where's Flint's criticism?

You must have missed the 3-page merged thread on him then.

Flint barged into Wilson for the penalty, whether he went to ground easily is irrelevant. Making any sort of challenge when Wilson was at the byline and going nowhere was amateur, and as a result he thought it more wise to give him three yards of clear space to double the lead.

The pair are both badly culpable for today but where's Flint's criticism?

The difference is this was Flint's second league game for us on the back of a stellar first game. If he was losing us points game after game in 100 games time he will be getting the same stick as Fontaine.

The criticism levelled at Fontaine is two years worth of disbelief that he's still a BCFC player let alone first name on the team sheet under a multitude of managers, all of which have lost their job because of defensive calamity.

The difference is this was Flint's second league game for us on the back of a stellar first game. If he was losing us points game after game in 100 games time he will be getting the same stick as Fontaine.

The criticism levelled at Fontaine is two years worth of disbelief that he's still a BCFC player let alone first name on the team sheet under a multitude of managers, all of which have lost their job because of defensive calamity.

In the context of today's game to defend Flint purely because he hasn't been here as long as Fontaine is lunacy. He's as culpable as Liam and by all means had a shocker.

Just got back myself.

Fontaine was only at fault for their 4th goal but that mistake in itself is a droppable offence when taken in the context of a consistently poor 12 months. He was absolutely shot to pieces after that & needs to be dropped for his good and ours. Would like to see Williams start against Wolves.

Baldock could & probably should have scored 5. The ones where he was clean through with the ball at his feet & nothing came of it were particularly poor.

JET was our best player. Again.

Main positive is that despite a poor overall performance we very nearly nicked a result. There are some bang average teams in this league & as soon as we sort ourselves out we'll be near the top of the league.

In the context of today's game to defend Flint purely because he hasn't been here as long as Fontaine is lunacy. He's as culpable as Liam and by all means had a shocker.

To judge Flint on one game and not to judge Fontaine on a hundred is also lunacy.

We were so bad defensively, Flint and Fonatine were so weak, Fielding doesn't fill me with confidence either. Really dissapointed with todays performance. At least we are scoring goals!

JET was again a bright spark, with him edging to the right he didn't get as much of the ball in the first half, but when on the ball in the 2nd half was good. JET will tear you apart again!

Our fans did well we were loud and a good turnout, shame the lads couldn't give us a top performance. In the east stand (?) where where we had a bunch of fans I think there was about 5 or 6 Coventry fans! A group of fans also watched from the banks.

My view:

1st half was very poor the back 4 looked like they didnt know each other and we struggled to contain coventry going forward. Cov pressed us well and we were unable to pass the ball forcing it to be lumped to Baldock. All 3 goals were poor defending.

2nd half saw a completely different side and the change to 3-4-3 and the introducion of Taylor worked wonders. We had the momentum after the first goal back and although we didnt play much passing football we were intelligent and made coventry defend. Superb comeback to 3-3 boys showed real character then straight from KO Fonts gifted them another. We did well to claw it back to 4-4 then gifted them a winner. Heartbraking all hard work undone. Ratings:

Fielding: 5 - made some decent saves but any keeper who concedes 5 in a game will be questioned

Maloney - 5 one of his poorer games defensively

Flint - 4 love the guy but was exploited numerous times with pace. Gave away pen

Fontaine - 2 at fault for 2 if not 3 goals. Shocking

Cunningham - 5 see maloney

Killa - 4 not in the game at all but played RM

Pack - 6 sprayed ball nicely one of better players could have been sent off first half for a lunge

Elliot - 7 hard to judge, didnt do anything wrong kept the ball and scored a great goal

Wagstaff - 5 didnt offer much going forward just neat and tidy

JET - 8 was the only way we were going to score was through him, looked dangerous every time he got the ball

Baldock - 7 thought he actually had a poor game but strikers are judged on goals and he got 2 so no complaints

Subs:

Williams - 6 did okay 10x better than Fonts

Taylor - 8 was superb when he was on won everything and possibly changed the game

Harewood - 6 wasnt on for long did nothing of note

City fans - 7.5 - loud at 0-0 and throughout the 2nd half also great numbers but was quiet at times

Overall it was probably the best game of football i have ever seen live

You asked the question, he gave you an answer, from the highlights I can only say that defensive centreback partnerships are forged through trust, awareness and understanding, it's clear that the goalkeeper and Flint have no faith or trust in Fontaine.

I'm not standing up for Fielding or Flint but Fontaines positioning and concentration are appalling, a good defender knows where his keeper and partner are, Filding and Flint don't have a clue whether Fontaine is going to be the correct side of his man, if he will react to a pass etc so are doing things that thy wouldn't normally do.

It's not just how the individual plays,it's the effect it has on his team mates, positioning, confidence, tactics etc, bottom line is, he's a liability and the only thing we can rely on with him is mistakes, that is not good enough, at any level.

To judge Flint on one game and not to judge Fontaine on a hundred is also lunacy.

As is assuming that's been suggested when it hasn't.

You asked the question, he gave you an answer, from the highlights I can only say that defensive centreback partnerships are forged through trust, awareness and understanding, it's clear that the goalkeeper and Flint have no faith or trust in Fontaine.

I'm not standing up for Fielding or Flint but Fontaines positioning and concentration are appalling, a good defender knows where his keeper and partner are, Filding and Flint don't have a clue whether Fontaine is going to be the correct side of his man, if he will react to a pass etc so are doing things that thy wouldn't normally do.

It's not just how the individual plays,it's the effect it has on his team mates, positioning, confidence, tactics etc, bottom line is, he's a liability and the only thing we can rely on with him is mistakes, that is not good enough, at any level.

So Fontaine is causing Flint to play badly - right, that'll be it. The perpetual OTIB love-in for new players continues.

As is assuming that's been suggested when it hasn't.

So Fontaine is causing Flint to play badly - right, that'll be it. The perpetual OTIB love-in for new players continues.

Not a love in at all, read what I said and then switch your brain on rather than trying to make a flippant, amusing remark (failed).

I'm talking about confidence, systems and how that effects other players, it's clear to everyone apart from you that none of our players seem to have much confidence in Fontaine, think how that must effect your decision making, it can and has had a catastrophic effect on results and to continue with him is ridiculous, not based on today's performance or result but on his performances over and over again for the last 12 months.

If you can't see this then I suggest you save your money and don't go.

Just back myself, pretty much the same as above. Fontaine looks so out of his depth its unreal, just backs off backs of and backs off, looks nervous as hell all game and I think that drains all of our defences confidence. Needs to be moved on to revive his career because he looks shot. Our midfield simply didn't work today against a poor but hard working cov team, we needed winter in their as marv is no way near as mobile. Baldocks finishing was off but he got his goals in the end, could have had about 5! Our defending was woeful the whole back four looked so weak today, every single goal they scored was down to poor defending, and on this showing we will do well to finnish top ten.

Special mention for Jet who was outstanding, carried the team at times today, never seen a player so good on the ball play for us imo he is far too good for this division, and we are lucky to have him. Don't know what that referee was doing today either, jet ran past about 6 players was going through on goal and the ref blew up and gave us a free kick? at 0-0 if he had created a goal that could have been a pivotal moment.

Overall on that showing im worried about what wolves will do to us next week.

Not a love in at all, read what I said and then switch your brain on rather than trying to make a flippant, amusing remark (failed).

I'm talking about confidence, systems and how that effects other players, it's clear to everyone apart from you that none of our players seem to have much confidence in Fontaine, think how that must effect your decision making, it can and has had a catastrophic effect on results and to continue with him is ridiculous, not based on today's performance or result but on his performances over and over again for the last 12 months.

If you can't see this then I suggest you save your money and don't go.

Exactly what I have been saying today, he needs to be moved on, gone stale completely, clearly this effects the whole back four as they don't know when he is going to make a mistake. Its clear to see that he is impacting fielding and flints performances as they are having to cover for his ineptitudes. How people don't see this is beyond me.

Archived