IGNORED

I Am Not A Customer - I Am A Fan

Bat Fastard

My latest brush with the club further emphasises the gulf between them and me. There was a bog up about renewing the player facility to listen to the game. I was told that I should have had my account frozen because I had tried to log in more than once in my frustration. Just when I was about to listen to the match!!

This is just another unsatisfactory incident following on from ticketing fiascos, problems with getting in to the ground, parking.........lousy food, difficulty in getting a pee in the Dolman - and lots more.

The trouble is that our "wet behind the ears" management are treating us as customers and not fans - they clearly do not understand the difference. A customer can choose to take their custom elsewhere - a fan cannot. If I could choose not to do business with a company that treats it's "customers" so badly - I would. I cannot vote with my feet and start supporting Yeovil, Rovers or the Mangos. After nearly 50 years of supporting City I feel frustrated at nearly every turn - and it must be due to the people who run our club.

How can they display such gross incompetence at every turn? How can they not understand that us elderly fans ar confused by all this technology - Customer Relationship Management they call it!!

Having spent tens of thousands of pounds supporting City - it would be nice to get a bit of respect. All I can do is not buy the food or merchandise in protest. I know many lifelong fans who have now stopped being active supporters because of the issues such as those mentioned. The people running our club are costing the club a fortune. For two pins - and if I could get a reliable radio signal in Taunton, I would stop going to the games and listen on the radio. But why should these people drive me away from one of the greatest passions in my life?

It feels very personal. Does anyone else feel the same?

My latest brush with the club further emphasises the gulf between them and me. There was a bog up about renewing the player facility to listen to the game. I was told that I should have had my account frozen because I had tried to log in more than once in my frustration. Just when I was about to listen to the match!!

This is just another unsatisfactory incident following on from ticketing fiascos, problems with getting in to the ground, parking.........lousy food, difficulty in getting a pee in the Dolman - and lots more.

The trouble is that our "wet behind the ears" management are treating us as customers and not fans - they clearly do not understand the difference. A customer can choose to take their custom elsewhere - a fan cannot. If I could choose not to do business with a company that treats it's "customers" so badly - I would. I cannot vote with my feet and start supporting Yeovil, Rovers or the Mangos. After nearly 50 years of supporting City I feel frustrated at nearly every turn - and it must be due to the people who run our club.

How can they display such gross incompetence at every turn? How can they not understand that us elderly fans ar confused by all this technology - Customer Relationship Management they call it!!

Having spent tens of thousands of pounds supporting City - it would be nice to get a bit of respect. All I can do is not buy the food or merchandise in protest. I know many lifelong fans who have now stopped being active supporters because of the issues such as those mentioned. The people running our club are costing the club a fortune. For two pins - and if I could get a reliable radio signal in Taunton, I would stop going to the games and listen on the radio. But why should these people drive me away from one of the greatest passions in my life?

Yes

Exactly the same. I now just go to away games. The people that run this club will not be getting a penny of my money.

I get accused of not being a proper fan, accused of undermining the club. Get tild to shut the **** up etc etc. But like you, after spending thousands on supporting this club, the treatment and non answers to questions (not things posted here, but letters I have written) my patience broke this season.

So I can fully see and agree with your point of view.

Who is losing out? Me probably, but if more start thinking the same way eventually the club will lose. They really have to wake up, and start making positive changes rather than talk about positive changes

Well said, Bat, but even if the club management read it, which they won't, it won't make any sense to them. The vendor / customer relation is the only one their tiny little commercial minds can understand.

To précis Marx, "under capitalism, all human relations are reduced to relations of exchange". Nowhere is that more obvious than in modern football.

Edited for spelling

Very nicely put BF and defininately sums up how I've felt for many seasons. The relationship between club and fans has always been a difficult one. So many cock ups to remember not least when the club god rid of long standing season ticket holders/seats to refurbish and change the function of the old SC bar. Too many ticket mess ups to mention over years as well.

You would hope that with modern customer relation professionals that things would improve but what we have is fans liaison officer who takes his job very seriously and who does his best but is repeatedly let down by his employers.

We are nothing more than a source of income to the club as well a source of irritation.

The trouble is that our "wet behind the ears" management are treating us as customers and not fans - they clearly do not understand the difference.

Know where you are coming from, but disagree with this line. The problem is that they are treating us like fans - knowing they will put up with a lot. Increasingly, they DO need to treat us as customers.

They should put at one level fan loyalty behind them, and say, what do we need to do to make sure that those who buy from us get excellent service, top to bottom.

Today agree with CE, it's because we are fans they get away with the shit they do - any other business would have lost my custom to a competitor years ago.

Tickets fiasco('s), food, queuing to get in, prices of food (bottle of coke £2.20, that's at least a 100% mark up ffs) - its time the club thought about the fans as customers and really tried to provide an excellent service all around rather than cut corners everywhere they can

Just for balance. The club has no control over the prices of food, the availability or functionality of player or the online ticketing.

Perhaps their due diligence was not forthcoming when selecting these companies to provide these services but its them who your gripes should be with.

Constructively asking the club to change providers at the earliest opportunity (if you're disappointed with the service) is much better than a forum (with no official links to the club other than two blokes who come on in their spare time) full of moans and groans.

The club controls the contracts Jordan and as far as I am concerned I am purchasing items/services from Bristol City football club as that's the banner from which they operate, so for me it's down to the club to rectify.

And as far as I'm aware this is a forum of opinions about the football club, this is exactly where the discussions should be, as well as contacting the club directly.

The club controls the contracts Jordan and as far as I am concerned I am purchasing items/services from Bristol City football club as that's the banner from which they operate, so for me it's down to the club to rectify.

And as far as I'm aware this is a forum of opinions about the football club, this is exactly where the discussions should be, as well as contacting the club directly.

Of course that is right. Someone at the club has bought the sales pitch from these suppliers - but they must have had some kind of vision in the first place that caused them to invite the suppliers to pitch their wares in the first place. I have struggled with most of the online stuff and that must be because young people as purchasers and suppliers do not understand the issues that duffers like me have with technology. They think that because they can use technology with comfort - maybe because they were bought up with it - that everyone should be able to also. It is a huge lack of imagination and respect. There are not even help screens and prompts ffs.

I totally agree with you and everything you've written so far on this thread. Ultimately, the club fields a third tier playing side and the way the club is managed off field is also third rate. The long suffering BCFC faithful deserve better. The benchmark for this club seems to be to do just better than the Gas, but with the Gas in the fourth tier of English football that benchmark is far too low.

There are fans who have had season tickets for decades and are treated no different than someone who is going to their first game,in fact people going to their first game are treated better.

There should be some show of loyalty by rewarding those supporters who have been supporting for a long time.

Like I said, just applying some balance. I'm absolutely certain that the club isn't happy with the service providers they have paid for letting fans down. This thread reads (in parts) like people think the club has maliciously planned to employ crap people.

Mistakes happen. Hopefully the contracts with G4S, Lindley's and the current Website and highlights provider can be terminated at the earliest opportunity. It's those companies I don't rate. Though, as I said before the club is accountable for choosing them.

I sincerely hope someone from behind the scenes IS reading this thread because if things have got so bad as to alienate such a steadfast SUPPORTER as my old mate BF then I can only fear the ravens at the Tower are preparing for takeoff ...

I sincerely hope someone from behind the scenes IS reading this thread because if things have got so bad as to alienate such a steadfast SUPPORTER as my old mate BF then I can only fear the ravens at the Tower are preparing for takeoff ...

Hi RU - now don't read too much into this. You know that I Havana always struggled with the computerisation issue that sophisticated IT professionals like you simply take for granted. I love - and will always love Bristol City until the day I croak. It is the attitude of the people running the commercial aspects of the club, and their suppliers, where I have issues. You know that I have always supported the manager of the day and the players on the pitch......although the Pulis era did severely test my patience. Hell - I even supported Benny!!

Just for balance. The club has no control over the prices of food, the availability or functionality of player or the online ticketing.

Perhaps their due diligence was not forthcoming when selecting these companies to provide these services but its them who your gripes should be with.

Constructively asking the club to change providers at the earliest opportunity (if you're disappointed with the service) is much better than a forum (with no official links to the club other than two blokes who come on in their spare time) full of moans and groans.

Well it wouldn't be when the person from the club responsible selected a company of whom he is director of to provide catering...

Allegedly..

I totally agree with you and everything you've written so far on this thread. Ultimately, the club fields a third tier playing side and the way the club is managed off field is also third rate. The long suffering BCFC faithful deserve better. The benchmark for this club seems to be to do just better than the Gas, but with the Gas in the fourth tier of English football that benchmark is far too low.

I suspect most Conference sides are better run than us.

Hi RU - now don't read too much into this. You know that I Havana always struggled with the computerisation issue that sophisticated IT professionals like you simply take for granted. I love - and will always love Bristol City until the day I croak. It is the attitude of the people running the commercial aspects of the club, and their suppliers, where I have issues. You know that I have always supported the manager of the day and the players on the pitch......although the Pulis era did severely test my patience. Hell - I even supported Benny!!

Like I said, just applying some balance. I'm absolutely certain that the club isn't happy with the service providers they have paid for letting fans down. This thread reads (in parts) like people think the club has maliciously planned to employ crap people.

Mistakes happen. Hopefully the contracts with G4S, Lindley's and the current Website and highlights provider can be terminated at the earliest opportunity. It's those companies I don't rate. Though, as I said before the club is accountable for choosing them.

This G4S mob, is it jus an unfortunate coincidence or are they the same G4S who made a balls up of the Olypmic security.

Different fields I know, but just wondered.

This G4S mob, is it jus an unfortunate coincidence or are they the same G4S who made a balls up of the Olypmic security.

Different company I think. I don't know if Green 4 Solutions go by G4S, just me shortening it!

I've gotta say though, it looks like GAS. I don't like that!!!

Well it wouldn't be when the person from the club responsible selected a company of whom he is director of to provide catering...

Allegedly..

:source:

I believe that BCFC chose the appalling Lindley's for the same reason as did Glos CCC - they give the maximum financial return to the club. The fact that the food is expensive pigswill doesn't matter to the club management, because they don't eat it.

Not so much of a problem at Nevil Road because I can come and go as I please and get a good meal at the Sportsman just down the road. A real problem for evening matches at the Gate.

I feel your pain BF and take City's place in your heart as read, permanent and true.

My deliberate use of the word supporter was with regard to the financial side of things. The club management could do worse than call upon your services and business experience as part of a usability testing team before going live with its systems (and pies) ... They must know where you are?!

As for Pulis/Lennartsson, in effect SoD is now charged with overseeing the sort of fundamental cultural changes that were needed (and didn't happen) on the occasion of our last relegation. No mean task, especially without a new stadium. From what you've said it sounds like there's just as far to go on the business side.

Used to be Group Four Security, more commonly known as Rentathug.

I feel your pain BF and take City's place in your heart as read, permanent and true.

My deliberate use of the word supporter was with regard to the financial side of things. The club management could do worse than call upon your services and business experience as part of a usability testing team before going live with its systems (and pies) ... They must know where you are?!

As for Pulis/Lennartsson, in effect SoD is now charged with overseeing the sort of fundamental cultural changes that were needed (and didn't happen) on the occasion of our last relegation. No mean task, especially without a new stadium. From what you've said it sounds like there's just as far to go on the business side.

My levels of intellectual energy have never been particularly high - and as one of the most intelligent people that I have ever met, it would be a good thing if you could articulate the problems to the powers that be. I am in the process of being degraded to the status of "armchair supporter" - and you know how upsetting it can be to carry that label ;-)

At ****** last, someone who is stating the glaring truth! For all too many at this club, from top to bottom, doing better than the Gas is the most important thing..it should be doing better than Crapdiff....that should be our aspiration rather than a fourth rate bunch of pikeys who have only just got their own ground after what thirty chuffin' years...

well said Gobsta...well said..

Archived