IGNORED

'irene' Is A Bore!

BcFcOneLove

I was in the Eastend on wednesday night, and the noise and array of songs we produced was exactly what I expected and hoped for from our fans in there.

what I did not expect though was the Gas eads to have only their beloved 'Irene' to blast out in reply to our witty gas hating chants!

Am I the only one who thinks it is a ridiculous song 'albeit their anthem' and is nothing like YNWA, which sounds a lot more rellavant than some strange bird called Irene who by all accounts is always going to sleep! Bore off with your Irene, I bet most of their fans haven't got a clue why they sing Irenes name every week, or where she came from!

I was in the Eastend on wednesday night, and the noise and array of songs we produced was exactly what I expected and hoped for from our fans in there.

what I did not expect though was the Gas eads to have only their beloved 'Irene' to blast out in reply to our witty gas hating chants!

Am I the only one who thinks it is a ridiculous song 'albeit their anthem' and is nothing like YNWA, which sounds a lot more rellavant than some strange bird called Irene who by all accounts is always going to sleep! Bore off with your Irene, I bet most of their fans haven't got a clue why they sing Irenes name every week, or where she came from!

In the original song, the first line "I asked your mother for you, she said that you were too young" implies that the song is written from the point of view of a paedophile.

Some anthem!

This is true. All about a peado being caught out and commiting suicide. Only the gas could find and choose such a song as their anthem. Plus use an insult for their nickname. Inteligent bunch arnt they?

In the original song, the first line "I asked your mother for you, she said that you were too young" implies that the song is written from the point of view of a paedophile.Some anthem!

Yeah, as potw alludes,how an anthem's first verse consists of the line: "sometimes I have a good notion, to jump in the river and drown..." and can still resemble sanity in any which way, please let me know.

The song really grinds. They use it relentlessly.

It's tradition though, so they have little choice but to continue using it. At City games they'll sing it more than normal I suspect.

As for stupidity/intelligence, most groups of football fans are as stupid as each other.

Eastend is going the way of the gas. Nothing innovative happening copying everybody else now. who r ya, tear your apart. Wolves described it as generic that three four years back wouldnt have happened.

I bet there's also a lot of City fans who don't know like myself :unsure: so can someone please explain the story!

We were playing Plymouth in 1950, with Rovers winning some Argyle fans began leaving early, 'Goodnight Irene' was a popular song of the time, and the Rovers fans began to sing 'Goodnight Argyle', and it stuck from then on.

I'd be more interested to find out when City fans starting claming 'Drink Up Thee Zider' as their own, it certainly used to get sung regularly by Rovers fans on The Tote.

We were playing Plymouth in 1950, with Rovers winning some Argyle fans began leaving early, 'Goodnight Irene' was a popular song of the time, and the Rovers fans began to sing 'Goodnight Argyle', and it stuck from then on.

I'd be more interested to find out when City fans starting claming 'Drink Up Thee Zider' as their own, it certainly used to get sung regularly by Rovers fans on The Tote.

About the same time as the Wurzels created One For The Bristol City, I imagine. What with the Wurzels being closely associated with Bristol City this seems entirely plausible, would you not say?

Now back to your stolen song - it's dull and, frankly, shit. Much like your team

Heard that before. Often wondered why Rovers fans would sing a song written by a City fan.

That's not how I understood it.

The Argyle support used to sing it as it was a song about a 'lady of the night' and Devonport was a renowned red light area so the dockers used to sing it at Argyle games.

Argyle were singing it at the game mentioned and the sags sang goodnight Argyle as mentioned, nicked the dirge and it stuck (sounds familiar).

I'm not surprised you used to sing it, it's a brilliant song but you certainly didn't start singing it before us.

It doesn't actually matter if you used to sing it on the Tote anyway, does it? If you wanted it as your anthem you could've ditched the suicide ditty before we claimed it as ours but you didn't. Besides the Wurzels are Somerset, City are South Bristol and therefore draw a lot of support from Somerset. Plus Adge Cutler (despite apparently watching both City and Rovers) preferred City.

You can claim you used to sing it as much as you like, it's recognised by everyone else as Bristol City's anthem and most of us are very proud of it. Not surprised you lot would love to nick it though, I mean 'Goodnight Irene' FFS, what's that got to do with Bristol or the Westcountry?

I'm not surprised you used to sing it, it's a brilliant song but you certainly didn't start singing it before us.

It doesn't actually matter if you used to sing it on the Tote anyway, does it? If you wanted it as your anthem you could've ditched the suicide ditty before we claimed it as ours but you didn't. Besides the Wurzels are Somerset, City are South Bristol and therefore draw a lot of support from Somerset. Plus Adge Cutler (despite apparently watching both City and Rovers) preferred City.

You can claim you used to sing it as much as you like, it's recognised by everyone else as Bristol City's anthem and most of us are very proud of it. Not surprised you lot would love to nick it though, I mean 'Goodnight Irene' FFS, what's that got to do with Bristol or the Westcountry?

Why the **** would we 'want it back', I was just passing comment that we used to sing it and wondered when or why it became a exclusively a City song

SAG Fool!

That was our lot every time we played there and took over the Tote.

Ask yer older mates - "Drink up the Cider" was never sung by your lot.

Archived