IGNORED

'irene' Is A Bore!

BcFcOneLove

I don't think that's anyone's kind of thing mate, but two songs we do like 'Drink up the cider' and 'one for the Bristol City' sound good as football songs on the terraces.. Don't think too many people would be blasting out the original Irene from their car stereo's either!

It's okay, City fans just have shit taste in music, it's not really a problem :)

Woah there fella, I didn't accuse you of 'wanting it back', it was never yours in the first place. I also pointed out that its a great song that has a connection to this City....unlike Goodnight Irene.

I've heard Gasheads say that Drink up the Zyder has been sung in the past by Rovers fans. My point was that its up to you what you sing, it doesn't change the fact that its our anthem and (mainly lower league) football fans around the country know it as our anthem.

The sag is correct, Rovers did indeed sing Drink Up Thy Cider on the Tote End in the seventies. Never with anything like the volume or intensity that it was delivered from the East End mind. I know this, as I was taken to football by my mate's dad between about 1976 and 1981, Eastville one week, Ashton Gate the next.

Despite being presented with a choice, it was a fairly straightforward decision for me as to which team to follow, the contrast between the two clubs, their stadiums, the standard of football and of their crowds, couldn't have been greater.

In fact the gap was pretty much evident right there in 1976, week number one for me. Mind the gap.

I REALLY think it's shite, the bloke who wrote 'Goodnight Irenne' is a blues legend, The Wurzels are one of the more embarassing comedy groups typical of the 1970s. You may well have a better team than us, but yer musical tastes are awful :_)

Unfair. Adge Cutler wrote some very sharp and wittily songs. I particularly recommend Virtute Et Industrial.

What the Wurzels did after he died is a very different matter.

Incidentally, if you check the etymology of Horfield, you'll see how appropriate Goodnight Irene is to a team playing there.

Unfair. Adge Cutler wrote some very sharp and wittily songs. I particularly recommend Virtute Et Industrial.

What the Wurzels did after he died is a very different matter.

Incidentally, if you check the etymology of Horfield, you'll see how appropriate Goodnight Irene is to a team playing there.

Nah yer alright , pre or post Adge I always loathed The Wurzels. I come from a large family, but I'm now the only one left in Briistol (shit, actually even I'm in S Glos these days), and whenever I went on family visits as a kid all my cousins would rave about how funny The Wurzels were while I was into the likes of The Clash. The fact that City fans align themselves with such a shit 'band' allows me to continue my dislike of them :)

I REALLY think it's shite, the bloke who wrote 'Goodnight Irenne' is a blues legend, The Wurzels are one of the more embarassing comedy groups typical of the 1970s. You may well have a better team than us, but yer musical tastes are awful :_)

The fact is (and this works the other way round too), if you were a City fan your argument would be completely different.

Objective football fans and hens teeth ....

The fact is (and this works the other way round too), if you were a City fan your argument would be completely different.

Objective football fans and hens teeth ....

No not this time, we all have our prejudices of course, but my dislike of The Wurzels goes back to way before they were associated with Bristol City. 'Comedy' bands always got right on my ******* nerves.

No not this time, we all have our prejudices of course, but my dislike of The Wurzels goes back to way before they were associated with Bristol City. 'Comedy' bands always got right on my ******* nerves.

Take it you're not a Madness fan, then?

Nah yer alright , pre or post Adge I always loathed The Wurzels. I come from a large family, but I'm now the only one left in Briistol (shit, actually even I'm in S Glos these days), and whenever I went on family visits as a kid all my cousins would rave about how funny The Wurzels were while I was into the likes of The Clash. The fact that City fans align themselves with such a shit 'band' allows me to continue my dislike of them :)

You can like the Wurzels and punk.

Chaos Uk covered Drink up thy cider. The Surfin Turnips likewise.

Neither band have covered goodnight Irene ... Neither did the Clash. Coincidence I think not. The shovel continues to heap dirt on Irenes head.

Take it you're not a Madness fan, then?

I thought Madness were okay, I thought 'The Prince' and 'One Step Beyond' were great, I thought they got a bit samey. I'm far from a music snob btw, I happened to mention The Clash because they were the first name that popped into my head of a band I like. Anyway, as you well know, there is a world of difference between a comedy band like the Wurzels and bands like Madness who write with a bit of humour.

Theres nothing wrong with liking The Wurzels, I just think they are shite, and you are welcome to them :)

For the record I think Massive Attack are fantastic- which is a bit annoying :)

For the record I think Massive Attack are fantastic- which is a bit annoying :)

Massive Attack are fantastic and Robert Del Najas little mention of Bristol City FC on the inside notes of the Blue Lines album always makes me smile considering how many copies of that album they sold. I wonder if your 'Asda Price' hooligans knew this when using 'Unfinished Sympathy' as the backing track to their cringeworthy YouTube video from the Carey testimonial.

I also love Portishead (the group, obviously), but I try and ignore the fact that Geoff Barrow is a massive Gashead.

Massive Attack are fantastic and Robert Del Najas little mention of Bristol City FC on the inside notes of the Blue Lines album always makes me smile considering how many copies of that album they sold. I wonder if your 'Asda Price' hooligans knew this when using 'Unfinished Sympathy' as the backing track to their cringeworthy YouTube video from the Carey testimonial.

I also love Portishead (the group, obviously), but I try and ignore the fact that Geoff Barrow is a massive Gashead.

I haven't seen our 'lads' video, sounds like I'd probably prefer a Wurzels one.

Before any arguments start about who has more famous fans, I concede straight away, we only have 4 (5 if we are allowed to count Roy Cropper being an occasional visitor when he lived in Bristol) and one of them we don't like to mention :ph34r:

Archived