IGNORED

Daily Mail

Eco

If it was the Mirror, yes. If it was the Guardian, yes, but not so much. The difference being that the Guardian, the Independent, etc, while biased, sell it as news, whereas the tabloids sell it purely for the drama and the tittle tattle that the relevant news brings. It really is about time we regulate the press properly.

Massively- not so much in the fact that a paper that supported Franco in the Spanish Civil War and Hitler until the eve of World War 2 (when Viscount Rothersmere continued to complain that we couldn't have allied with the Germans pretty much until they started bombing London), but because the language used in both the original piece harked back to the days of McCarthyism, the Stalinist pogroms against the Marxists, Franco's 'White Terror', etc. In recent history, people have died because of articles written in those terms. I'm not for a moment saying that that would happen today or that The Mail would be directly responsible if such a thing happened, but a line was crossed in my opinion

The difference with The Guardian or The Independent and probably to a lesser extent The Mirror, is that they wouldn't go after someone on those terms- they might accuse David Cameron's father of being a facist (he wasn't as far as I'm aware) but it would be done as investigative journalism rather than a rabble rousing piece predicated on a few lines of an adolescent diary and a political outlook

Even worse that Paul Dacre would write that editorial about a man who served in the Royal Navy for much of WW2 while his own father stayed behind in London to be a 'show business reporter'...

Milliband has put his father out there, unfortunately in a way the modern politician do, how many times have we heard the bollox from a UK politician "I remember my father' this and that and how "my father shaped my political view of the world", so for me if his fathers political views are that important to Milliband that he remorselessly bangs on about it, then the public are entitled to know how a guy who shaped the political views of a man who might become the next prime minister.

Milliband has put his father out there, unfortunately in a way the modern politician do, how many times have we heard the bollox from a UK politician "I remember my father' this and that and how "my father shaped my political view of the world", so for me if his fathers political views are that important to Milliband that he remorselessly bangs on about it, then the public are entitled to know how a guy who shaped the political views of a man who might become the next prime minister.

But the point is the public don't know any more about Ralph Milliband than they did before because all the Mail did was print a load of baseless rhetoric based on a couple of lines (none of which even came close to saying "i hate Britain) in a 17 year olds diary. This is a 17 year old who went on to fight in this countries armed forces against a murderous regime that the paper owned and edited by the current owners great grandfather had supported until mid 1939

But even aside from the validity of the content of the article, the language was clearly designed to inflame opinion and cause upset. There was no journalistic value in the piece whatsoever- it revealed nothing of either Milliband, even disregarding the fact that Ed has said on many occasions that he and his fathers politics diverge quite significantly

I don't like Ed Milliband and certainly won't be voting for his party next time round, but there is nothing defensible in that article in my opinion

But the point is the public don't know any more about Ralph Milliband than they did before because all the Mail did was print a load of baseless rhetoric based on a couple of lines (none of which even came close to saying "i hate Britain) in a 17 year olds diary. This is a 17 year old who went on to fight in this countries armed forces against a murderous regime that the paper owned and edited by the current owners great grandfather had supported until mid 1939

But even aside from the validity of the content of the article, the language was clearly designed to inflame opinion and cause upset. There was no journalistic value in the piece whatsoever- it revealed nothing of either Milliband, even disregarding the fact that Ed has said on many occasions that he and his fathers politics diverge quite significantly

I don't like Ed Milliband and certainly won't be voting for his party next time round, but there is nothing defensible in that article in my opinion

Fine then if you are correct Milliband should sue, surely no court in the land wouldn't come down on his side.

and from one of his own.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/danhodges/100239016/if-ed-miliband-wanted-his-father-to-be-off-limits-he-should-have-kept-quiet-about-him/

Fine then if you are correct Milliband should sue, surely no court in the land wouldn't come down on his side.

and from one of his own.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/danhodges/100239016/if-ed-miliband-wanted-his-father-to-be-off-limits-he-should-have-kept-quiet-about-him/

You can't libel the dead- how would you prove in court whether he did or did not 'Hate Britain'?

I kind of agree with that link, but I don't object to the Mail writing about his father- he's a frontline politician, you take the rough with the smooth in that respect- it's the tone of the article, the terminology used and the fact that, at the end of the day, there is nothing more than conjecture and f-all substance in that article. They're not trying to discredit Ed Milliband, they're trying to discredit his dead, war-hero father. A fantastic advertisement for self regulating media...

But Miliband hasn't remorselessly banged on about it. In fact he's always gone out of his way to point out that he has never agreed with his father's politics.

Curious that the Stalinists probably had no more dedicated enemy than Ralph Milliband. But then that's a bit subtle for the Daily Blackshirt.

Indeed. And a Marxist such as RM would have been despised by the Stalinists. But of to the Mail, I imagine that a Red is a Red

But Miliband hasn't remorselessly banged on about it. In fact he's always gone out of his way to point out that he has never agreed with his father's politics.

They all do it these days, 'my father/parents made me what I am today', look at Brown couldn't shut up about the values his father instilled him, so being a foul tempered misogynist was that part of the values Gordon?.

They all do it these days, 'my father/parents made me what I am today', look at Brown couldn't shut up about the values his father instilled him, so being a foul tempered misogynist was that part of the values Gordon?.

I guess so, but my point is that the Miliband Bros actively seek to draw a line between their Marxist dad and their own, Social Democratic at best, beliefs.

They all do it these days?? People have slways talked about their dead parents in a postive light. Who else do we get our values from? The ******* ice cream van man? The bell ends that write for the daily mail?

They all do it these days?? People have slways talked about their dead parents in a postive light. Who else do we get our values from? The ******* ice cream van man? The bell ends that write for the daily mail?

I got my values from my Grandparents, our Dad especially certainly was not a good role model.

I'be always been a fan of my parents and their world view, I kind of pity you if you don't feel similarly about yours

My Dad had Army friends killed in Aden, not sure that was why the way he was but he hated just about everyone. Still, what conflict has lowlife warmonger Tony Blair's familiy ever served in ?????!!!!!!! Lowlife lawyer Tony Blair is very keen to start wars but I haven't noticed any evidence of his kith and kin ever fighting in any war.

I'be always been a fan of my parents and their world view, I kind of pity you if you don't feel similarly about yours

As I have already said, Gormless Brown was always banging on about how he inherited his fathers values and that's why we should trust him, we now know Brown was a misogynist with anger issues, I pity him far more because he has pretty much trashed his fathers influence in a pathetic bid to show a disbelieving public he could be trusted.

Honor thy father and thy mother?

Archived