IGNORED

16 Arrested In Dawn Raids

Maesknoll Red

We are not talking about police-murderer Dale Cregan with a grenade and a bolthole in Spain here.  These are some local people who presumably overstepped the mark at a local football game.

Why did they not just write to them and ask them to arrange a date to come in to their local station for an interview?

I hope they get a serious grilling from the local media for this pointless circus and whichever senior officer that sanctioned this gets disciplined.

Hardly likely is it. I don't think it's pointless anything that stops these morons embarrassing our club for me is welcome.

Hardly likely is it. I don't think it's pointless anything that stops these morons embarrassing our club for me is welcome.

Each raid will require numerous police officers. Some of the crimes will be for nothing more than men running on grass, men making silly "come on then gestures" and breaking the Eastend hardly robust seats. Scary stuff.

This will cost tens of thousands for low level crimes, or no crimes at all. Money wasted when homes in BS4 get burgled you often have to wait 24 hrs for the police to start their investigation. Crime should be prioritised, not used for tasty media sound bites.

Its a "look at us" gimmick for the media to make middle England feel safe in their homes.

Here's a novel idea. When are you most likely to catch someone at home?

The fact people are slating the police is pretty embarrassing.

What? You think people having the opinion that an unnecessary escalation by an organisation known for raiding the wrong houses and killing innocent people is embarrassing?

No wonder the same mistskes keep happening, and innocent people continue to die, whwn a serving officer can make such a blase statement regarding police raids.

Each raid will require numerous police officers. Some of the crimes will be for nothing more than men running on grass, men making silly "come on then gestures" and breaking the Eastend hardly robust seats. Scary stuff.

This will cost tens of thousands for low level crimes, or no crimes at all. Money wasted when homes in BS4 get burgled you often have to wait 24 hrs for the police to start their investigation. Crime should be prioritised, not used for tasty media sound bites.

Its a "look at us" gimmick for the media to make middle England feel safe in their homes.

Well I'm looking at them and thinking "clowns"!

Maybe best to wait and see what they are charged with, before assuming that it's just those who ran on the pitch and made a few hand gestures? (surely not)

I haven't seen any of the news footage, so - a serious question - do Police just batter the door down straight away, or do they give the occupants the opportunity to answer a knock?

Well I'm looking at them and thinking "clowns"!

Yes those stage costly operations and prioritise low level crime for the media over house break in's are. BS4 has been suffering a spate of breaks in's for two years particularly around Bath road. Real serious crimes. Operations? Media? No.

Well done old bill, how many police were used for all these raids? shame they didn't put in the same effort when my house was burgled twice, car was broken into or my son getting his jaw broken when set upon by a gang the other weekend, absolute waste of police resources and tax-payers money.   

What? You think people having the opinion that an unnecessary escalation by an organisation known for raiding the wrong houses and killing innocent people is embarrassing?

No wonder the same mistskes keep happening, and innocent people continue to die, whwn a serving officer can make such a blase statement regarding police raids.

And the biggest over reaction of the year goes to........

I'm not a massive fan of the police, but have to say that killing innocent people isn't at the top of the list when I think about my issues with the local plod

You seem to be of the opinion that no one should get their comeuppance?

Unnecessary escalation? I know time is a healer pal, but have you not forgotten exactly what went on? Sure a few people ran on the pitch, but you rather fittingly seem to have forgotten that people were hit by coins and chairs. Would you rather just sweep it all under the carpet?

This isn't about police killing people, or raiding the wrong houses, it's about football fans who took things too far that night. They deserve to get arrested by whatever means possible.

As for writing to said suspects, what a ridiculous suggestion!

We all knew this was going to happen though.

Dawn raids have been happening all over the country for years.

Any football related trouble is treated differently to other offences, it's been the same for 20 years.

We had the same after the 96? Pitch invasion ( chasing the gas players off the pitch) and a lot learnt from that and realised a jail sentence would be next if caught playing up.

It's the way things are done now,like it or not.

In the 80's and 90's we got away with things, it doesn't work like that now, it's a mugs game in 2013.

You seem to be of the opinion that no one should get their comeuppance?

Unnecessary escalation? I know time is a healer pal, but have you not forgotten exactly what went on? Sure a few people ran on the pitch, but you rather fittingly seem to have forgotten that people were hit by coins and chairs. Would you rather just sweep it all under the carpet?

This isn't about police killing people, or raiding the wrong houses, it's about football fans who took things too far that night. They deserve to get arrested by whatever means possible.

As for writing to said suspects, what a ridiculous suggestion!

Why is that ridiculous? We are not talking about career criminals. How often is there law-breaking violence at a Bristol City game? Six times a year absolute tops.

So if any of these are repeat offenders then they're not doing it very often and are not about to go on the run because of it.

So you write to them to come in, some will do so. Where they don't then you issue a warrant for their arrest and then you can do your dawn raid.

I accept that not every one of those involved is a decent lad who got carried away, there are some nasty pieces of work out there, but when you get up to 16 people being arrested in dawn raids for some trouble on the pitch then the word that you are looking for is "disproportionate".  Save those kind of exercises for terrorists and armed robbers where there is every reason to do so.

Sad to see the usual apologists for the vermin out in force.

Affray is a serious offence, so's GBH. Why shouldn't people get nicked for it?

We're talking about the few dozen worst offenders here not the thousands that ran on the pitch. They'll have CCTV evidence for each one.

Stop trying to help the scumbags hide and excusing their actions, it's just as embarrassing.

Pointless and waste of time are the ***** who ruin our day out ..

Am ashamed of the behaviour displayed and ashamed of majority of posters on this thread who seem to think its "ok" to behave in this manner .. you need to grow some.. you really do

Calm down, personally i would rather the police of spent all this time, effort and tax-payers money tackling real crime instead of pulling this giant publicity stunt, still waiting for the police to get back to me on my burglary the other week, of course they have more pressing matters like kids running onto the grass..

• Admin

Here's a novel idea. When are you most likely to catch someone at home?

The fact people are slating the police is pretty embarrassing.

Perhaps the fact that there is CLEARLY an issue with the way things are dealt with in this area.

Would be interested to hear your views on the previously released figures that showed last season 175 Newcastle fans arrested, which is more than three times as many as the City total !! This included 114 for violent disorder, but a total just 8 bans handed out by the magistrates and police.

There were 87 Arrests at one match involving Nuneaton for violent disorder, with just 4 bans.

Now compare this to our region, where City had 54 arrests over the season, 34 of these receive banning orders.

These are the sort of things that the Football Supporters Trust should be brought into look at, something very wrong

Why is that ridiculous? We are not talking about career criminals. How often is there law-breaking violence at a Bristol City game? Six times a year absolute tops.

So if any of these are repeat offenders then they're not doing it very often and are not about to go on the run because of it.

So you write to them to come in, some will do so. Where they don't then you issue a warrant for their arrest and then you can do your dawn raid.

I accept that not every one of those involved is a decent lad who got carried away, there are some nasty pieces of work out there, but when you get up to 16 people being arrested in dawn raids for some trouble on the pitch then the word that you are looking for is "disproportionate".  Save those kind of exercises for terrorists and armed robbers where there is every reason to do so.

I'm sorry that I can't respond to this as I'd like to for fear of disclosing too much, but needless to say it's never ideal to telegraph to suspect that he/she is getting arrested.

And your whole post is full of assumptions you're using to try to evidence your point.

Perhaps the fact that there is CLEARLY an issue with the way things are dealt with in this area.

Would be interested to hear your views on the previously released figures that showed last season 175 Newcastle fans arrested, which is more than three times as many as the City total !! This included 114 for violent disorder, but a total just 8 bans handed out by the magistrates and police.

There were 87 Arrests at one match involving Nuneaton for violent disorder, with just 4 bans.

Now compare this to our region, where City had 54 arrests over the season, 34 of these receive banning orders.

These are the sort of things that the Football Supporters Trust should be brought into look at, something very wrong

Quite an easy response there. I'd say Northumbria/Warwickshire Police aren't doing their job properly.

It's pretty simple, don't do anything wrong and you'll have nothing to worry about... (although I'm well aware that there are corrupt coppers out there).

What a complete media stunt this will be. I cannot actually believe people are saying "well done old bill". Absolutely crazy, yea, lets enable them to continue to be able to treat football fans like a sub section of the Taliban because, I personally love getting batons slapped round the back of my legs for f* all at every away game. I do not agree with any violence at the football and I understand action must be taken but, this seems over the top. All you lot applauding this clearly have had different backgrounds to me..

What a complete media stunt this will be. I cannot actually believe people are saying "well done old bill". Absolutely crazy, yea, lets enable them to continue to be able to treat football fans like a sub section of the Taliban because, I personally love getting batons slapped round the back of my legs for f* all at every away game. I do not agree with any violence at the football and I understand action must be taken but, this seems over the top. All you lot applauding this clearly have had different backgrounds to me..

clearly.

• Admin

We're talking about the few dozen worst offenders here not the thousands that ran on the pitch. They'll have CCTV evidence for each one.

Stop trying to help the scumbags hide and excusing their actions, it's just as embarrassing.

How do you know what the dawn raids were for?

Well, thank **** for that then

If you, or a mate, family member was injured at the game (and I don't know if anyone actually was) then you'd be applauding. Fans were warned, cctv is everywhere - I'm not sure what else you can do. Don't run on the pitch, don't smash your seat up, don't spit at an opposing player - it's not brain science, is it?

I'm sorry that I can't respond to this as I'd like to for fear of disclosing too much, but needless to say it's never ideal to telegraph to suspect that he/she is getting arrested.

And your whole post is full of assumptions you're using to try to evidence your point.

Ok, so the unwritten answer is that these are in fact nasty pieces of work who would go on the run if they knew that they were going to be arrested.  And that I am wrong to assume otherwise.

That's fine, as it is an assumption on my part and these are sometimes wrong. I have no inside knowledge and no axe to grind.

If you say this is poprtionate and appropriate, based upon information that you have, then I will accept that. The test will be that these 16 are in found guilty of criminal offences when they come to trial.

Who has committed affray? Are you an apologist for the police who treat football fans like the scum of the earth? 

Archived