IGNORED

16 Arrested In Dawn Raids

Maesknoll Red

If you, or a mate, family member was injured at the game (and I don't know if anyone actually was) then you'd be applauding. Fans were warned, cctv is everywhere - I'm not sure what else you can do. Don't run on the pitch, don't smash your seat up, don't spit at an opposing player - it's not brain science, is it?

Sorry to be pedantic here - you can have 'brain surgery' or 'rocket science'.

Brain science, or even rocket surgery just ain't right.

cant help but feel the OB have given this as much media as possible so as to make them not look quite so bad for the shamefull job they did on the day, remember them announcing the zero tolerence that would be in place on the day !! yet they let people do what they want and failed to control crowds all day long.

yes people have to brought to justice for wrong doings but what about a report into the way the game was policed ? If the police had done therre job properly on the day half of the problems wouldnt have occured!, the 'yellow shirt' bloke was the ultimate example, twice on the pitch for both goals and was allowed to remain in the stadium to appear on the pitch again at the end!

Ok, so the unwritten answer is that these are in fact nasty pieces of work who would go on the run if they knew that they were going to be arrested.  And that I am wrong to assume otherwise.

That's fine, as it is an assumption on my part and these are sometimes wrong. I have no inside knowledge and no axe to grind.

If you say this is poprtionate and appropriate, based upon information that you have, then I will accept that. The test will be that these 16 are in found guilty of criminal offences when they come to trial.

No Eddie, you've got me wrong. I have no inside knowledge of this matter, it goes without saying that i wouldn't be on here commenting on it if i did. I'm just saying that in order to obtain the best evidence, the element of surprise is a pretty good tactic.

I would really like to know exactly what it is that the police have done this morning to upset so many on here?

Let me ask you this... how many were arrested versus how many ran on the pitch? I'm guessing not a very high proportion. I said at the time that it'd be unlikely that the police would go after those that had only entered the playing area.

I suppose the dawn raids issue is upsetting some? Well you're most likely to catch someone at home at that time. If the police had gone round at lunch time, they may have gone out for the day. So they'd need to go again, and again, and again. By which point the suspect knows that they're coming and if he so wishes, can seek to evade arrest. The more times people have to go out to attempt to arrest said people, the more expenditure on resources there is.

I'm afraid that's going to have to be the end of contribution for me. 

Brain science? Is that a thing :s well, maybe, i wasn't applauding when my dad got his face smashed in by some ego maniac copper in Cardiff. Aaannyyway, without getting to far in to it, i honestly believe this was over the top (which is my opinion),especially when such due diligence isn't taken with most other crimes. And i understand don't do this, cctv blah blah blah thank you for trying to be so patronising. You a Tory by chance?

Sorry to be pedantic here - you can have 'brain surgery' or 'rocket science'.

Brain science, or even rocket surgery just ain't right.

Ha, was proving my point that it wasn't difficult to understand why these people would be getting a knock on the door (or just having it smashed in)

I highly doubt any of the arrested today were arrested for entering the field of play, so it's not a matter of nicking people for running on the pitch.

I would have thought that some arrests would relate to fighting in Winterstoke Road Car Park and the industrial estate after the game and the numerous scraps in and around Bristol. Also for any violent behaviour, seat or coin throwing inside the ground.

Brain science? Is that a thing :s well, maybe, i wasn't applauding when my dad got his face smashed in by some ego maniac copper in Cardiff. Aaannyyway, without getting to far in to it, i honestly believe this was over the top (which is my opinion),especially when such due diligence isn't taken with most other crimes. And i understand don't do this, cctv blah blah blah thank you for trying to be so patronising. You a Tory by chance?

Wasn't trying to be patronising, just pointing out the facts. There is a massive difference between the two

If that happened at Cardiff to your Dad and he wasn't involved in anything then that is completely wrong. But why do you think the police were reacting to City fans like that on that particular day (presuming that you're on about last season)? There were pics of pissed up City fans on twitter from about 8.30 in the morning, then pics of smashed up pubs from about 10am. Maybe it's the fans that go to places to get pissed and smash up pubs that you want to be venting your anger on, if they didn't do that then I'm sure your Dad wouldn't have got his face smashed in.....just saying

Is it heavy handed? Massively. Is it unwarranted? No. They broke the law, they will get what they deserve

As for me being a Tory.....you went way below the belt there, poppet

I accept arresting those that did wrong but this just comes across as a massive PR exercise at the expense of the club. Smashing doors in is an over reaction.

I have not read the report but does it actually say doors were smashed? A 'dawn raid' is not necessarily a pre-requisite for a bit of door smashing. I suspect a tap on the door would have been the general order of the day.

Point I am trying to make is this, how many times on a night out have you seen a massive brawl involving numerous people, tables bottles ECT and sometimes people getting REALLY hurt? I for one have witnessed similar events a few time. Now take in to account there is cctv everywhere in town, how many of those people do you think had their doors kicked down at dawn? Ziltch I expect. Because all of a sudden, now said offence is committed at a football match (a high profile one at that) its time to go all guns blazing! I expect jimmy Saville didn't get his door booted in. And fine, maybe my dad was not a good example as i am obviously going to be biased so, if you went to Cardiff you must of seen that 40something woman get mulled by that dog for **** all and left? Or, non footy st Paul's "riots" and young girls being battered by these crack teams who pulled up out of the blue, jumped out and swang and anyone they could see regardless of agenda. Riot police cause most of the trouble because it may shock you but, there is a reason why these lot do that job and trust me, its not to keep you "safe". They are the biggest "thugs" half the time, they enjoy hitting people and have found a job they can vent that in, good for them.....poppet.

We are not talking about police-murderer Dale Cregan with a grenade and a bolthole in Spain here. These are some local people who presumably overstepped the mark at a local football game.

Why did they not just write to them and ask them to arrange a date to come in to their local station for an interview?

I hope they get a serious grilling from the local media for this pointless circus and whichever senior officer that sanctioned this gets disciplined.

You are assuming they can read !

How do you know what the dawn raids were for?

Applying some basic thought? What do you think the arrests are for, singing? It will be for violent offences, obviously.

Who has committed affray? Are you an apologist for the police who treat football fans like the scum of the earth?

Of course I'm not an apologist for the police treating football fans badly...

Aren't you able to make the link between the police's treatment of football fans and the scumbags that give them the excuse to act like that?

Any proper football fan should be fully behind the arrest and prosecution of anybody behaving violently at a football match.

Im a supporter of the Conservative Party, what has this got to do with what has happend here?

• Admin

Maybe best to wait and see what they are charged with, before assuming that it's just those who ran on the pitch and made a few hand gestures? (surely not)

I haven't seen any of the news footage, so - a serious question - do Police just batter the door down straight away, or do they give the occupants the opportunity to answer a knock?

Someone on my road got a "knock" this morning around 10am. That's what it was, a riot van turned up, 5 officers piled out, I shouted out to them they were all at work and they knocked on the door anyway & left when there was no answer.

cant help but feel the OB have given this as much media as possible so as to make them not look quite so bad for the shamefull job they did on the day, remember them announcing the zero tolerence that would be in place on the day !! yet they let people do what they want and failed to control crowds all day long.

yes people have to brought to justice for wrong doings but what about a report into the way the game was policed ? If the police had done therre job properly on the day half of the problems wouldnt have occured!, the 'yellow shirt' bloke was the ultimate example, twice on the pitch for both goals and was allowed to remain in the stadium to appear on the pitch again at the end!

I suspect the OB are publicising it in the vain hope that it puts other people off repeating these actions the next time a needle match takes place. This won't happen though as I think everyone involved knows that if you commit a "crime" at a football match then you will have the book thrown at you. Why they then go and do it anyway is anyone's guess. (Probably the alcohol hey redeye?)

Point I am trying to make is this, how many times on a night out have you seen a massive brawl involving numerous people, tables bottles ECT and sometimes people getting REALLY hurt? I for one have witnessed similar events a few time. Now take in to account there is cctv everywhere in town, how many of those people do you think had their doors kicked down at dawn? Ziltch I expect. Because all of a sudden, now said offence is committed at a football match (a high profile one at that) its time to go all guns blazing! I expect jimmy Saville didn't get his door booted in. And fine, maybe my dad was not a good example as i am obviously going to be biased so, if you went to Cardiff you must of seen that 40something woman get mulled by that dog for **** all and left? Or, non footy st Paul's "riots" and young girls being battered by these crack teams who pulled up out of the blue, jumped out and swang and anyone they could see regardless of agenda. Riot police cause most of the trouble because it may shock you but, there is a reason why these lot do that job and trust me, its not to keep you "safe". They are the biggest "thugs" half the time, they enjoy hitting people and have found a job they can vent that in, good for them.....poppet.

Regarding Sir Jimmy, I think you'll find he was the one smashing back doors in.

Im a supporter of the Conservative Party, what has this got to do with what has happend here?

Nothing what so ever, you see I guess what I was implying was I didn't particularly like torys and maybe it would perhaps contribute to me and matey boy disagreeing so.......yea. Petty comment in hindsight......awqward..

yes people have to brought to justice for wrong doings but what about a report into the way the game was policed ? If the police had done therre job properly on the day half of the problems wouldnt have occured!, the 'yellow shirt' bloke was the ultimate example, twice on the pitch for both goals and was allowed to remain in theo stadium to appear on the pitch again at the end!

On your last point, it was pretty clear to me that with yellow jumper spending all that time on the pitch, the Police tactic for the night was to video and arrest later.

That's why, anyone with any savvy kept out of trouble.

On your last point, it was pretty clear to me that with yellow jumper spending all that time on the pitch, the Police tactic for the night was to video and arrest later.

That's why, anyone with any savvy kept out of trouble.

That's a ridiculous approach surely?

Shame they couldn't be so "proactive" to the numerous episodes of anti social behaviour (and blatant drug dealing) reported by people in my street regarding one group of lads in a house very recently.

In fact when I stopped my next door neightbour from having his motorbike stolen by these scum at 2am they failed to even come round and take a statement, lying by reporting back that my neighbour didn't want to pursue the matter. When in truth they drove past his house and couldn't be arsed to even stop.

Nowhere near the same publicity involved in turning up at 5am in a riot van for someone who ran on the pitch, I suppose....

That's a ridiculous approach surely?

They do it all the time now, it used to be that the OB came into the crowd to arrest, it would then kick off big time and the trouble would escalate.

In the 80's and 90's it happened every week.

Now, with CCTV they can do what they have done today.

Ive had more than my fair share of battening in the past when they would randomly hit anyone in the crowd when trying to arrest people.

Yes, ridiculous and a waste of money. They did nothing inside the ground, but raked in the costs charged to both clubs - then do things the easy way several weeks down the line.

so you can do whatever you want on the night?

Archived