IGNORED

Latest On The Stadium Redevelopment/ Ashton Vale (Merged)

Longacre_red

Not for me. A shiny new Stadium with all the added benefits would have been great and my preference but this is a very good "next best thing" IMO.

I won't be at all disappointed if/when we re-develop Ashton Gate.

Disagree.  Compared to a brand new stadium this is a very poor alternative.  That's why it was only proposed once it became apparent the new stadium may never happen. 

A revamped AG will never be able to generate the revenue a new stadium would have.  On top of that, the new stadium was achitecturally different whereas the redeveloped ground is much more the like the 'souless bowl' we all fear.  If we are forced to choose this distinctly second-best option it will be to the deteriment of the club and the city and, for me, will forever be a symbol of Bristol's antipathy towards sport and progress in general.

Ashton Vale would have been better bit this is the most pragmatic option under the circumstances.

Perhaps if the club achieves sustained success over the next 10-15 years they could look at Ashton Vale again, but the redevelopment solves most of the immediate problems.

Cracking news,never fancied watching us in a stadium that was over half empty every other week anyway

This argument represents a very short term view.  Ultimately the new stadium would give the club a chance to be more financially sustainable, be able to attract better players, and ultimately be more successful.  This would then bring in the bigger crowds.  I just don't think the redeveloped AG could do this to the same extent.

If the chance to develop Ashton Vale is missed, City will always be limited as a club and would never be able to generate the revenue to stay in the Premiership if we ever managed to get there. In my opinion we would have a nice stadium for the Championship and maybe have the odd season in the Premiership (very big maybe!) The stadium is permanent but league positions are strictly temporary (I hope!). Arsenal had to move from Highbury because it only held 38000 people and they felt that they could not continue to compete with the likes of Manure with 76000 capacity. Sporting excellence is about ambition - I hope that the Landsowns have more than they are currently demonstrating.

The Mayor was happy with housing on the AG site and would be happy keeping City on the site because both of those options feed The Tobacco Factory with paying punters. If the proposition is looked at objectively - the AG option is grossly inferior to AV. We are being legged over by vested interests, green loonies and a very small number of local nimbys. It stinks!

The NIMBYs have won :grr:

Pity the Bristol sports clubs and fans couldn't have worked together to fight them, but them's the conditions that prevail :(

Now let's hope the new AG is better than the old. Getting in some decent catering for the masses would be a good start, followed by some stewards who know the job, rather than whatever Rentathug chooses to provide.

Parking is becoming more difficult year by year and just imagine how it would be if we did get 27000 crowds. If the bus services improved - where could they all pick up? There are no viable transport links and the revamp will take away even more parking spaces. This has no been though through.

It should be a very nice Championship level stadium once you are inside - the trouble is going to come in trying to persuade people to go through great difficulty in getting to the stadium for every match. Short of concreting over the park and making it into a car park - (with lousy road access) this is not the right solution for the next 100 years.

Parking is becoming more difficult year by year and just imagine how it would be if we did get 27000 crowds. If the bus services improved - where could they all pick up? There are no viable transport links and the revamp will take away even more parking spaces. This has no been though through.

It should be a very nice Championship level stadium once you are inside - the trouble is going to come in trying to persuade people to go through great difficulty in getting to the stadium for every match. Short of concreting over the park and making it into a car park - (with lousy road access) this is not the right solution for the next 100 years.

When (OK, if) the Portishead line is re-opened, Ashton Gate Halt could take a lot of the load.

Ashton Vale would have been better bit this is the most pragmatic option under the circumstances.

Perhaps if the club achieves sustained success over the next 10-15 years they could look at Ashton Vale again, but the redevelopment solves most of the immediate problems.

I tend to agree. Who knows what will happen in 15 years time. Maybe Bristol rugby will be a huge club and need a stadium of their own after sharing with us for years. Who knows where we will be, I would hope well established in the Championship if not above (surely it must be our turn somewhere in the next decade or so to be in he Premiership).

It just seems a huge waste of time:

'We cannot possibly develop Ashton Gate for xyz reasons, we want the World Cup blah, blah, blah.'

'No you cannot build on the land you own, it's green don't you know'

'Ok then we will develop Ashton Gate'

And this has taken how long? I think most of us are fed up with the situation, I cannot imagine how SteveL must feel.

What the club needs is the executive boxes and non-matchday facilities, not the capacity. A redeveloped Ashton Gate can provide these, thus solving the immediate problem and helping the club finance itself without outside investment.

If this proves successful and the club is regularly pulling in 25k+ crowds at Premiership level then they'll be much better placed to get a new stadium built. Maybe not at Ashton Vale if the TVG is in force but somewhere, and the argument of "they'll never need it as they're not successful" will not apply to the same extent.

If we revamp AG then I think we all have to accept this club will never go anywhere in terms of sustainable growth... not unless the revamp involves flattening the whole site and rebuilding from scratch...

A poor mans compromise IMO.. and not a very good or farsighted one at that.... we will still have the same transport issues and the lack of revenue generating bars / Restaurants etc -

Do people actually think we would fill a new stadium if it were granted? My guess is not even close which would make it almost like a lifeless bowl regardless of its design.

I am more than happy to have Ashton gate redeveloped and brought into the 21st century. It's what we all know, it's our home of football.

Do people actually think we would fill a new stadium if it were granted? My guess is not even close which would make it almost like a lifeless bowl regardless of its design.

I am more than happy to have Ashton gate redeveloped and brought into the 21st century. It's what we all know, it's our home of football.

its not about filling the stadium it never has been, its about increasing mtach day revenue (hospitality boxes) and non matchday revenue which we have missed out on for years now,

atmoshphere and accustics doesn't put money into the bank account sadly

its not about filling the stadium it never has been, its about increasing mtach day revenue (hospitality boxes) and non matchday revenue which we have missed out on for years now,

atmoshphere and accustics doesn't put money into the bank account sadly

Atmosphere and accoustics surely increase the appeal to fans attending the game though which should increase attendance which in turn would put money into the bank account?

I'm so under whelmed by the new AG design it's beyond belief. I appreciate the corners have to be used bit it is so bowl like it's unbelievable. I know there are space constraints but how unspecial is the EE. It may be the first end to be built with safe standing in the country, but once safe standing is the norm it will just be another stand. Very disappointed by the plans. Crisp bowl here we come 

Hadn't thought of this, could we possibly have another av situation with a review etc? Or not so much because its already a stadium!?

A JR is entirely possible, but I just don't see the motive. There have hardly been any objections to a revamped AG, literally a handful online and no opposition groups formed like in the case of Sainsburys (at the Mem and AG) and AV.

To those concerned about a revamped AG, put it like this, do you honestly think we couldn't sustain C'ship football with a 26,500 capacity, exec boxes, new conference facilites, bars, museum, club shop etc? As others have said, a new stadium could become a reality further down the line but right now that shot is not on the board and we are in desperate need of upgrading AG otherwise we will continue to slide on and off the pitch, I believe.

A JR is entirely possible, but I just don't see the motive. There have hardly been any objections to a revamped AG, literally a handful online and no opposition groups formed like in the case of Sainsburys (at the Mem and AG) and AV.

To those concerned about a revamped AG, put it like this, do you honestly think we couldn't sustain C'ship football with a 26,500 capacity, exec boxes, new conference facilites, bars, museum, club shop etc? As others have said, a new stadium could become a reality further down the line but right now that shot is not on the board and we are in desperate need of upgrading AG otherwise we will continue to slide on and off the pitch, I believe.

Hopefully because there is already a stadium on the site there wont be as much opposition. To be fair we already had planning permission for 29k before we started the av debacle, so I hope we can start in the new year without any hitches, but I wont hold my breath.

As for your second paragraph im in complete agreement, we need better of the field facilities asap, not in 10 years, now. Whilst the capacity doesn't have the same ability to increase as av, I personally think it will be ample even if we do get to the prem. Look at west brom for example.

Archived