IGNORED

Latest On The Stadium Redevelopment/ Ashton Vale (Merged)

Longacre_red

Having never lived in Bristol - although having supported City for nearly 47 years, I do not know about parking away from the ground. Over the years I have found one or two places that allow for a quick getaway after the matches, and this will suffice for the time being. The train service from Temple Meads to Taunton does not fit very well with evening matches and then there is the problem of getting to the station. As a fat old git - it would be heroic to have to walk so far.

Having never lived in Bristol - although having supported City for nearly 47 years, I do not know about parking away from the ground. Over the years I have found one or two places that allow for a quick getaway after the matches, and this will suffice for the time being. The train service from Temple Meads to Taunton does not fit very well with evening matches and then there is the problem of getting to the station. As a fat old git - it would be heroic to have to walk so far.

If you need a lift from Taunton any time I go from here to some matches by car -- others I go by train. If you want a lift let me know how I can contact you and I will get back to discuss lifts.

Car parking us no probs , I Travel to home games from the midlands park outside the orchard pub for a good cider, cross the bridge by the Avon packet and in the ground 10 mins later, also by parking that side of the river , no probs getting to the M32 to get back home , there was no major holdups during the old 1st div games when the ground was full, let alone this season with only 8k

I find it interesting that, as a relative local, I'm willing to walk those 15-20 minutes to the ground but I can't ever remember seeing a carload of (out of town?) City fans park up in my road to do the same.

I understand some fans are elderly or need to park close to the ground for other reasons, but in most cases it's not really far to walk from available spaces. It seems some who drive to matches simply expect to be able to park unrealistically very close to the ground.

Either way, there are still areas that provide a much quicker and less stressful getaway than the horrendous prospect of queuing to get out of a massive car park for an hour or so like we hear of at some other grounds where that facility is available.

If you need a lift from Taunton any time I go from here to some matches by car -- others I go by train. If you want a lift let me know how I can contact you and I will get back to discuss lifts.

That is very sporting of you!! Thank you. Likewise - if you would like a lift to the games, I usually go very early to be sure of my favourite parking space and to be ready for a quick getaway after the match. I think my email is on the link.

That is very sporting of you!! Thank you. Likewise - if you would like a lift to the games, I usually go very early to be sure of my favourite parking space and to be ready for a quick getaway after the match. I think my email is on the link.

Brilliant, shows what this forum can do. :yes:

I'm sure it could link up alot more fans if there was some sort of permanent car sharing thread.

Just a few extra random points I've thought of whilst reading this thread.

- I thought the club wanted to put more executive boxes in at the back of the replacement East End, but it was the fans who turned their noses up and forced them out.

- The rebuilt East End is going to have a couple more hundred seats than the Atyeo, and yet the roof height is going to be the same as the Dolman, which leads me to think that it's either going to be a steep gradient, or maybe they're leaving space for executive boxes in future?

- All this talk of golf driving ranges reminded me about a thought I had a couple of years ago. With the Avon gorge being just up the road, couldn't the club create a

false climbing wall on one of the stands to encourage stadium use on non-match days - surely it would be high enough for members to have a decent ascent?, or what about a built in zip slide from the top of one stand, across the pitch etc.. surely it wouldn't cost a lot, but could offer a nice little return? Imagine as an away fan having the chance to have a bit of adventure when you turn up early at a ground.

- I thought the club wanted to put more executive boxes in at the back of the replacement East End, but it was the fans who turned their noses up and forced them out.

- The rebuilt East End is going to have a couple more hundred seats than the Atyeo, and yet the roof height is going to be the same as the Dolman, which leads me to think that it's either going to be a steep gradient, or maybe they're leaving space for executive boxes in future?

- All this talk of golf driving ranges reminded me about a thought I had a couple of years ago. With the Avon gorge being just up the road, couldn't the club create a

false climbing wall on one of the stands to encourage stadium use on non-match days - surely it would be high enough for members to have a decent ascent?, or what about a built in zip slide from the top of one stand, across the pitch etc.. surely it wouldn't cost a lot, but could offer a nice little return? Imagine as an away fan having the chance to have a bit of adventure when you turn up early at a ground.

I think away fans can have all the adventure they could handle If they go into the wrong pubs !

• Admin

4 objections is enough for the green hag to get her teeth into :(

I see the BP do have a sense of humour after all . . ..

here are five possible objections some would say are typical of Bristol, which some have dubbed the biggest village in the UK, or "Lymeswold-on-Avon".

1"I wanted a Sainsbury's. I saw a recipe for a spiced meringue Christmas wreath on their website and I want to be able to get all the ingredients in one place."

2 "When I lie on my back in Ashton Court on a summer's day, I like to be able to see the houses of Knowle West. The giant new Williams Stand will block the view."

3 "I run a solar-powered knitting group in Greville Smyth Park. We will have to move over towards the Cumberland Basin or the bigger stadium will put us in shadow, and I do so hate the sound of passing lorries."

4 "I note from the planning application that there is no provision for allotments along the side of the pitch. Please amend."

5 "This new stadium will put us on a par with other English cities, and signal a desire for progress. This cannot be allowed."

So much about the planning process / investment / economics is baffling.

People will have personal agendas to prevent development then complain that the nation as a whole can't look after them properly.

The same people who (often understandably) complain about development will also be the same people who whine that there's not enough in the governement coffers to pay healthy pensions, maintain roads and the state of public services.

Where do they think jobs and prosperity come from?  They are very lucky that they will be broadly insulated from the lack of investment in their area.  If they were told their pension was being cut this year due to the cancelling of planned development revenues or their hospital operation couldn't go ahead ...

The land size of Ethiad stadium is 38% smaller than AG.

Just think about that. Maybe we have to play games away for a year. But the plot of land that we have is big enough to do something lasting and special.

Maybe the club need to step back, and look overseas to see what can be made.

I dunno - it's not my money, but the plans on offer are pretty poor.

:

You make a valid and well researched point about how to do corporate.

But - without wishing to completely take the jam from your doughnut, in the nicest possible way...what planet are you on?!?

38% smaller? No way, I'd say it is the other way round. And that's being kind (without including the huge oval of open land around the stands themselves).

I did speak to the architect regarding the boxes being removed from the Wedlock design. It was not due to fans. It is straight economics. They will be more profitable elsewhere and each stand will cater for a different demographic. Top end facilities in the Williams, then the Dolman and then the Wedlock/Atyeo.

The architect oddly could not confirm the rake of the stand by % v the Dolman. It will be steeper obviously than it is now.

The design at the open day was not the final Wedlock design.

Many of the points here should have been already addressed by the "wide" consultation. They have not been!!

I did speak to the architect regarding the boxes being removed from the Wedlock design. It was not due to fans. It is straight economics. They will be more profitable elsewhere and each stand will cater for a different demographic. Top end facilities in the Williams, then the Dolman and then the Wedlock/Atyeo.

The architect oddly could not confirm the rake of the stand in % v the Dolman. It will steeper obviously than it is now.

The design at the open day was not the final Wedlock design.

Glad to hear this, as a lot of eastenders wanted the standing to go at the back. Any idea when we will know what the final design looks like?

Glad to hear this, as a lot of eastenders wanted the standing to go at the back. Any idea when we will know what the final design looks like?

I don't know. I was informed by those who have no habit of just making stuff up.

It seems appropriate that somebody should be informing supporters what that stand actually looks like. Fans were going to be consulted and informed at "every" step said BCFC.

Glad to hear this, as a lot of eastenders wanted the standing to go at the back. Any idea when we will know what the final design looks like

These are the drawings submitted for planning in July so this is pretty much what will be built:

Plans and sections towards the bottom

http://planningonline.bristol.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=documents&keyVal=MQQTQYDN00J00

Archived