IGNORED

Latest On The Stadium Redevelopment/ Ashton Vale (Merged)

Longacre_red

I'm so under whelmed by the new AG design it's beyond belief. I appreciate the corners have to be used bit it is so bowl like it's unbelievable. I know there are space constraints but how unspecial is the EE. It may be the first end to be built with safe standing in the country, but once safe standing is the norm it will just be another stand. Very disappointed by the plans. Crisp bowl here we come 

From the images released so far and displayed at the public consultation, the proposal is to have four completely different stands.

The popular objection to bowl-like stadia is that they are uniform all the way round and therefore have no character. Regardless of whether some or all of the corners are joined up, a stadium with four distinctly different sides definitely does not constitute a bowl. I think it looks like it will have character, in the same way that the redeveloped Hawthorns or Bramall Lane do, for example.

Not saying it's necessarily better than the AV model mind, but it will have its own look and personality, definitely not your 'crisp bowl'.

I tend to agree.

There were mistakes made from the outset and those mistakes were heavily punished by nimbys.

There wasn't enough lobbying at government level to get this on the National agenda as its not just Bristol that has this problem. A decent MP would have helped - at least the MP for the Gas area took it to Parliament and is trying to highlight the issue as a national one.

I thought Dawn Primarollo brought the misuse of TVG legislation up in Parliament. In fact, I'm sure I've read she had.

I also read that the legislation was under scrutiny to have major changes made to it. Anyone au fait with this?

Maybe as long as Lansdown owns the land AV isn't off the agenda in the long run...

The capacity issue of 26,500 - my understanding is away fans will be given the entire Atyeo (5,500 capacity) so surely not much segregation will be needed. 500 seats tops maybe? Then consider that if safe standing is allowed that will be a few hundred (in addition to the 26,500) added to the capacity.

The away fans will be moved to the Ateyo which is the only unconnected stand so will not require segregation/loss of seats.

That said, dependant on the away team/following, part of the stand can be broken up so that one end can be used potentially for "family" seating and if so, segregation would be required 

I thought Dawn Primarollo brought the misuse of TVG legislation up in Parliament. In fact, I'm sure I've read she had.

I also read that the legislation was under scrutiny to have major changes made to it. Anyone au fait with this?

Maybe as long as Lansdown owns the land AV isn't off the agenda in the long run...

I hope that AV is not dead in the water but If part of the deal was supermarket money from the sale of the Gate to fund it that changes the project .

Why not build it on the Clanage?

It's already a sports ground so no TVG issues there, it's next to a railway line (OK the line needs upgrading but a least it's there),  it's on the new tram/bendy bus route. It's surrounded by allotments so just buy a new plot of ground for some old gardeners. Bedminster cricket club could play on the all new Ashton Vale village green. Sorted.

Send in the diggers!

I hope that AV is not dead in the water but If part of the deal was supermarket money from the sale of the Gate to fund it that changes the project .

Good point. However I can only think of AG redevelopment as a stop gap. Long-term the club will need a more flexible and profit-bringing home.

I just hope it's in south Bristol. To get to somewhere like Portishead or Avonmouth would be a nightmare for someone living where I do.

The away fans will be moved to the Ateyo which is the only unconnected stand so will not require segregation/loss of seats.

That said, dependant on the away team/following, part of the stand can be broken up so that one end can be used potentially for "family" seating and if so, segregation would be required 

That's how I understood it but with an Atyeo / away capacity of 4200 leaving all but 23000 home seats, I can't see it being an issue for a while.

That's how I understood it but with an Atyeo / away capacity of 4200 leaving all but 23000 home seats, I can't see it being an issue for a while.

the atyeo is staying the same for the time being so no seg will be needed which is how I understand it too

Am I the only one who thinks should we ever be in a position where we regularly sell out our ground will knock down the atyeo and buy up the houses behind to build a stand the size of the Williams in height? I've been told the fronts of the houses are listed? They can easily be built into the structure of a new stand. Houses being bought up would clearly cost a lot but the long term payback would be massive!

We would have to reach the prem if this idea were to be realised

Does anyone know if the Atyeo nearest the Dolman will be modified internally (a bit of a curve or angled section built)? If not, given that there is already a considerable pitch overhang and the pitch is moving further away, people in the seats nearest the Dolman will need to turn their heads to a 45 degree angle for the whole match! 

Am I the only one who thinks should we ever be in a position where we regularly sell out our ground will knock down the atyeo and buy up the houses behind to build a stand the size of the Williams in height?

Yes, cause the people living there are all really going to want to sell up, aren't they?

People don't have to sell if they don't want to, you know.

This is certain to go through, the Greens are actually in favour, Ferguson was always dead against AV so he's behind it, too.

Whether it is for the best for City is another matter entirely.

Yes, cause the people living there are all really going to want to sell up, aren't they?

This is certain to go through, the Greens are actually in favour, Ferguson was always dead against AV so he's behind it, too.

It took 20 years to buy up a similar rank of houses on the A38 next to the Rolls-Royce car park!

For anyone who wants to read the [lengthly] Planning Officer's Report:

https://www.bristol.gov.uk/committee/2013/wa/wa003/1127_7-1_4pm.pdf

The Conclusion is at page 42

Thanks for the link.

Page 40 suggests we previously had permission to redevelop Ashton Gate to a seated capacity of 30,500, even with the Atyeo in it's current form. Does anyone know why were now looking at 26,500? 

Am I the only one who thinks should we ever be in a position where we regularly sell out our ground will knock down the atyeo and buy up the houses behind to build a stand the size of the Williams in height? I've been told the fronts of the houses are listed? They can easily be built into the structure of a new stand. Houses being bought up would clearly cost a lot but the long term payback would be massive!

Have never heard of parts of a house being listed. Not a house where it's essentially all from the same era. Maybe that's just hearsay. Nice houses in their time but they are run of the mill.

If the chance to develop Ashton Vale is missed, City will always be limited as a club and would never be able to generate the revenue to stay in the Premier League if we ever managed to get there. In my opinion we would have a nice stadium for the Championship and maybe have the odd season in the Premier League (very big maybe!) The stadium is permanent but league positions are strictly temporary (I hope!). Arsenal had to move from Highbury because it only held 38000 people and they felt that they could not continue to compete with the likes of Manure with 76000 capacity. Sporting excellence is about ambition - I hope that the Landsowns have more than they are currently demonstrating.

The Mayor was happy with housing on the AG site and would be happy keeping City on the site because both of those options feed The Tobacco Factory with paying punters. If the proposition is looked at objectively - the AG option is grossly inferior to AV. We are being legged over by vested interests, green loonies and a very small number of local nimbys. It stinks!

Think you've covered just about everything there old chum. If only England's bid to host the World Cup had been successful then the abuse of TVG legislation could have become a National cause celebre instead of attracting zero attention outside of BS3 :(

Have never heard of parts of a house being listed. Not a house where it's essentially all from the same era. Maybe that's just hearsay. Nice houses in their time but they are run of the mill.

They won't be listed. They fail by a wide margin to meet listing criteria. If they were 90% of BS3 would be listed!

Lose the attitude

I assume that away following could be reduced if we get a lot of new home fans? 5,500 seems an awful lot.

The boxes on the other hand - 18 seems ridiculously small. Why bother with just 18?

I went to game in a box at Carrow Road, they had loads of them, each ranging from 20 - 100 people. Easily 100 boxes.

If AG just went for 18, then I truly would think the club has finally lost the will to live.

I would hope the boxes are the first concern - if we can fit 200 in AG, build 200. International Rugby Union and League are a given after the redevelopment, and the club would be chasing all kinds of events surely.

18..no,no,no, that's crazy.

There are 18 exec boxes in the new Williams.

If you add in the 15 being added to the back of the Dolman and 4 in the corner of the new Wedlock the total No of boxes will be 37.

Or half full ,depends how you look at Life !

Along the same lines as a comment Dennis Skinner made in Parliament a few weeks back.

"Half the tory members opposite are crooks", he said.

He was asked to withdraw the comment.

"OK, half the tory members opposite are not crooks"

As a club, we have rarely, if ever, made the most of what we've got. The facilities, resources, etc. Perhaps only 74-79, under AD. A boom time we failed to capitilise or build upon. Quite the opposite, in fact, as we know.

A revamped AG will be more than adequate for us for the next 15- 20 years, to make a go of being a competitive, championship club. That must be the first goal.

If we ever make the most of this, and end up outgrowing a 27, 000 capacity AG, and think, bugger, we could really do with another 5 or 6, 000 seats, and a hotel, and a McKFC, then something seriously RIGHT will have happened down there, we'll be so beside ourselves in disbelief and ecstasy, that we'll not care a hoot. Be too busy inducting another dozen legends into our hall of fame.

If we ever get TOO BIG for a revamped AG, it'll be something to celebrate. Massively. Statues will be in commision, stonemasons will be smiling. Let's see if we can get anywhere near this before getting our kecks in a twist over missing out on a 21st century bowl, with all the banality that will probably entail.

Just so long as the new AG's got a bit more legroom. And everyone can get in on time.

What else can we fret and obsess over?

Actually people can be forced to sell their homes for ground developments as demonstrated by Liverpool fc.....

http://www.thisisanfield.com/2013/10/liverpools-anfield-redevelopment-moves-closer-compulsory-purchase-threatened/

Archived