IGNORED

The Mem

The Joker

An amusing post from the slag forum  :laughcont:  :

WHAT THE F!? Why the hell were we invited to watch the confirmation on the screen at the Mem then!? Why the hell were we on the fkin news jumping about celebrating and had Higgs n Dunford coming in the bar hugging people n buying them drinks!!? I THOUGHT/Was led to believe that it was because WE HAD THE STADIUM! It was CONFIRMED! that's why we were CELEBRATING!! Now we're left looking like complete tits!

How many fkin hurdles have we got to go over!? That was supposed to be the last one!? But no there could still be more!? Why the hell did they let us celebrate prematurely like that!?

I'm fkin devastated with this news           

They should of followed our plight more closely. Until the fat lady is stood in the centre circle of your new stadium banging out a tune, its far from confirmed.

Blimey, almost getting a bit of deja vu here.....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-24952871

Bristol Rovers supermarket plan: Judicial review approved

A High Court judge has ruled a judicial review into plans for a supermarket at the Bristol Rovers football ground can go ahead.

The club says it needs to sell its ground to Sainsbury's to fund a move to a 21,700-seat stadium in Frenchay.

But Trashorfield Ltd (Traders and Residents Against Sainsbury's Horfield) said it was against a "goliath supermarket" in a residential area.

It wants a review to reveal why the city council approved the store.

Bristol Rovers chairman Nick Higgs has said a judicial review will cost the club "an awful lot of money" in delays.

'Important for democracy'

He said it is "a huge irritant" and is "very disappointed" that the review has been approved.

"Ultimately this [the supermarket] will get built, it's just a delay," he added.

Trashorfield spokeswoman Diana Scrafton said there were already 14 supermarkets within a three-mile radius and another was "not needed".

She said: "The judicial review is an important part of our democratic system that can help to ensure that important decisions are taken properly and we are grateful to have this decision scrutinised."

The Bristol North West MP, Charlotte Leslie, said she is disappointed that the review has been approved, but said she hopes that "common sense and the good of the city will prevail".

In January, councillors gave permission for the club's current home to be redeveloped into the supermarket.

Bristol City Council was later served with a formal notice of intent for judicial review of that decision.

after all the times I've had our situation stuffed down my neck by the blue few I find it funny as hell

We're all Bristolians at the end of the day. It's all banter! Both projects were put in place to make our City stand out and be more of an attraction to the rest of the UK and even Europe!

I suspect this is why it seems the fight for AV seemed to evaporate.

Unfortunately, I reckon you might just have hit the nail on the head BCR. Maybe our powers that be had prior notification hence the pushing of the redevelopment plans rather than the Vale?

Personally, I thought the Village Green scenario was totally wrong - and I posted that view in some of the threads on here. I know that many of my fellow supporters did enjoy thinking that we had the upper hand - well, we all know what they say about he who laughs last!

As stated, we don't have the funding to develop The Mem, so will be in a different position to yourselves if the JR (and any appeals) are lost.

Looking at the whole picture, it is a sorry state of affairs for the Bristol area. We'll probably end up with some half-cocked arena, and some lovely Dutch cycle roundabouts, while professional football goes down the drain.

Personally, I thought the Village Green scenario was totally wrong - and I posted that view in some of the threads on here. I know that many of my fellow supporters did enjoy thinking that we had the upper hand - well, we all know what they say about he who laughs last!

As stated, we don't have the funding to develop The Mem, so will be in a different position to yourselves if the JR (and any appeals) are lost.

Looking at the whole picture, it is a sorry state of affairs for the Bristol area. We'll probably end up with some half-cocked arena, and some lovely Dutch cycle roundabouts, while professional football goes down the drain.

and thats why you get little sympathy from me and many others and a small minority actiually spported us in our efferts and all its done is come back and bite you in the ass,

I think yours may well end up dead in the water and with the rugby moving out it may well be a long time before you can recover, Higgs shouldn't of alienated the rugby club and the gas should of openly supported us in our efforts we would of done the same

What is it with Bristol. It's a bloody awful place to live sometimes.

The only people who have managed wholesale changes have been the Luftwaffe for goodness sake.

Since the destruction of the oldest part of the city and with 70 years of time now passed it is nothing more than a patch of grass. That's the ambition of many Bristol people unfortunately.

Well if you think by us re-developing Ashton Gate is a step ahead of the Gas plans then i say you are clearly deluded. Both clubs need new grounds Not re-developments.

Redeveloping AG into minimum 26.5k stadium (more with safe standing) vs the g*s plans that currently consist of no valid consent to redevelop their own ground and the UWE stadium going t1ts up?

What on earth are you going on about? Both clubs AIN'T going to get new grounds, time to face reality.

Redeveloping AG into minimum 26.5k stadium (more with safe standing) vs the g*s plans that currently consist of no valid consent to redevelop their own ground and the UWE stadium going t1ts up?

What on earth are you going on about? Both clubs AIN'T going to get new grounds, time to face reality.

Well said. Plus the club HAVE confirmed that the non match day revenue streams will be the same at ag once redeveloped as av would have been anyway. All this talk of we cant redevelop the gate was the club trying to push av through. The gate once redeveloped will be light years ahead of the mem.

An amusing post from the slag forum  :laughcont:  :

WHAT THE F!? Why the hell were we invited to watch the confirmation on the screen at the Mem then!? Why the hell were we on the fkin news jumping about celebrating and had Higgs n Dunford coming in the bar hugging people n buying them drinks!!? I THOUGHT/Was led to believe that it was because WE HAD THE STADIUM! It was CONFIRMED! that's why we were CELEBRATING!! Now we're left looking like complete tits!

How many fkin hurdles have we got to go over!? That was supposed to be the last one!? But no there could still be more!? Why the hell did they let us celebrate prematurely like that!?

I'm fkin devastated with this news           

:laugh: :laugh: priceless

I have two things to add to the debate here, if I may. Firstly,

* the people need to rise up off their dopey, west country arsebacksides and "PROTEST." "MOBILISE." "ACTIVATE." It is about time that you all "STOP WATCHING TV/ & PEOPLE SHAGGING ONLINE/ PLAYING VIDEO GAMES/ DOZING UNDER HEDGES/ COMPLAINING/ AND DOING ZILCH." And all the other things today designed to keep you docile, compliant, and KNOWING YOUR PLACE.

Now, all this rebel-rousing might come as a surprise to everyone from a reactionary, Tory old codger like myself. But this is football, and we need to stir things up a bit. Politics comes second when the footy is going Bristol sh1t-shaped.

And secondly,

*we need to do our bit to scupper the Rovers and all their stadium efforts as best we can. It is our duty to delay and disrupt. So, with this in mind, here's what we do: OCCUPY THE MEM. It has come to my attention that Sainsbury's plans to build a store in Portishead have been delayed by the discovery of NEWTS. So, we've got two options: 1. Someone with NEWTS, or access to NEWTS, sneaks down the Mem, probably between Christmas and next spring, and plants Mr. & Mrs. Newt, dims the lights, uncorks a bottle of Tesco's Finest range plonk, and hope to god Newts are more likely to "score-in-a-brothel" than pandas. Or our Sam Baldock. Failing this, option 2. We find some freezing, smelly old dossers down town, ship them up the Mem, ply them with crates of Tesco's value range lager, and tell them to get on with it (getting pissed, not shagging. We don't want shagging dossers up the Mem. They've got plenty of them over there as it is). Either way, we need NEWTS, pissed or pregnant, to OCCUPY the Mem.

So, People: make it happen.

*Finally, a word of warning about PROTEST: this morning's Independent newspaper carried a frontpage story about councils being given powers to ban "peaceful protests" that might "disturb" local residents. So, people: if you're going to MOBILISE and PROTEST and "disturb" locals, make sure it's a VIOLENT protest, okay? Because a PEACEFUL one is going to be banned.

And when you're done with all this: vote Tory. And go back to sleep.

Up the City.

There is an incredible difference between AV and what the Gas are proposing.

Our Sainsbury's application was a supermarket to replace and existing supermarket, with it's only 'real' competitor at the other end of Bedminster and the gas application was to add a 4th supermarket to an area where 3 already exist, I am surprised it got as far as it did.

PS:- **** 'em

if you think by tarting up grounds is a good thing then you are clearly mistaken. What really pisses me off is the infastructure around both current grounds. Parking at AG is a ******g farce and only a move to a new all purpose ground can solve this.

Archived