IGNORED

The Mem

The Joker

I think nimbys should be banned from Bristol.,.... and I don't care where they go.....as long as its not my backyard!

Typical. You don't care where they go as long as it's not your back yard. I don't want them in my neighbourhood either, all they do is leave their rubbish around and lower the property values.

Typical. You don't care where they go as long as it's not your back yard. I don't want them in my neighbourhood either, all they do is leave their rubbish around and lower the property values.

Yes, and they seem to have a lot of friends in high places.......and I'm not talking window cleaners!

Sadly this is yet another example of the ineptitude of Bristol and Bristolians. We seem to lack so many things in my opinion. The nerve, desire, drive, ambition, to go that extra bit in getting what we want. We have leaders in business and local authority who are complacent, naieve, over confident, who constantly get held up in their plans because they don't have that hard edge needed to succeed. Our own Mr Lansdown has probably been swept along by his bullish partner to make their business what it is.

The place is a backwater with a distant memory of past pioneers, we are living  in a modern world with a slow moving apathetic city. Most of our more influential people are not from these parts as shown by those opposing any new proposal, and their extra drive wins the day. I sometimes wonder if we are an experiment taking place on how much shyte a local population will take before rising up, god knows the city has had enough kicks in the tabs, with funding for this or that being taken away right at the death.

Because of our apathy, we've ended up with that prat in red trousers doing his best to close down the city.

So until we're willing to go that extra bit for what we want, (I know I've tried) we'll get what we deserve, sweet FA. And with that sweet FA we'll have some extra green party activists who are going to be getting those extra jobs created by winning the green capital bid. Mark my words there'll be even more of them shortly, still a tiny minority but with more fight and desire than the locals. 

Think you're being massively negative, Bristol is a wonderful, vibrant place to live.

Some absoloute classic comments on their forum

rasrovers, on 15 Nov 2013 - 10:10 PM, said:snapback.png

Unfortunately I think you're right. But don't worry, Miss Radice has watched England' women's team at the Olympics so she obviously cares.

That gashole quote you got there, "lodge," would that be on the pessimistic side for the comments in general, or on the optimistic side?

Dont think we should wallow in any piss take about what has happened at the Gas.

Still believe it will happen for them even if it takes a little longer.

For us though it seems totally dead and buried.

As many others has said developing the Gate will not produce a third of the income a brand new stadium would.

Don't know where you or anyone else got that from Arn, it's just not true.

It's been stated many times that a redeveloped AG would produce 80% of the maximum income Ashton Vale could achieve.

It will be by far the best stadium in the Bristol area even if Rovers eventually get the go ahead for their shockingly tedious and characterless bowl..

rasrovers, on 15 Nov 2013 - 10:10 PM, said:snapback.png

Unfortunately I think you're right. But don't worry, Miss Radice has watched England' women's team at the Olympics so she obviously cares.

This last bit totally sums her up, minority interest sport, yes, one that the (working) masses actually go and watch, no.

It's been stated many times that a redeveloped AG would produce 80% of the maximum income Ashton Vale could achieve.

It will be by far the best stadium in the Bristol area even if Rovers eventually get the go ahead for their shockingly tedious and characterless bowl..

Sorry Nogbad But i think Arn has got it spot on.

I believe the low figures that were quoted were the scare tactics figures.

You're spot on Noggers, it wont generate the same as the Vale obviously, but it wont be far off.

But do you really believe that? Who said it - an independent commission or the club spin doctors?

Let's be clear about this. Ashton Vale would blow Ashton Gate out of the water, which was the whole reason for going there. I'd be amazed if a redeveloped Gate hits as high as 60% the turnover of AV.

But do you really believe that? Who said it - an independent commission or the club spin doctors?

Let's be clear about this. Ashton Vale would blow Ashton Gate out of the water, which was the whole reason for going there. I'd be amazed if a redeveloped Gate hits as high as 60% the turnover of AV.

Yes.The executive boxes, restaurants, conference facilities etc. will all be there, as will a capacity only about 3,000 below AV.

Ashton Vale was never going to blow a redeveloped AG out of the water - that's where the exaggeration and spin was in the first place.

Is that the same spin doctors who said that staying at the gate was not viable and the only option was to move but now it is fine to stay?

These was so much bull spread about the move I see it is still working.

Yes.The executive boxes, restaurants, conference facilities etc. will all be there, as will a capacity only about 3,000 below AV.

Ashton Vale was never going to blow a redeveloped AG out of the water - that's where the exaggeration and spin was in the first place.

I can't agree with that.

No doubt AG will packed full of as much conferencing/corporate hospitality as can be squashed in there, particularly the new williams stand.

But there's still no room elsewhere. Remember that that AV also had the ability to expand much further still. Space is all important, not just for capacity, but to be able to maximize match day sales from that capacity. It's not ideal having a bar in the stand which can only house a very limited number, and serve an equally limited number before match and at half time.

Ashton vale had a huge concourse, and being that little but further from north st means many more fans would drink there. Don't underestimate this.

AV would have been much more marketable, in terms of naming rights, as well as attracting businesses.

Imagine a leaflet or a web page...one has ashton gate, a cramped mishmash, minimal parking, ugly tower blocks looming over head...

The other a gleaming iconic red state of the art beacon, sat on a trunk road next to a park and ride, with a hotel on site.

One would beat off competition from the city centre, and possibly even cardiff, the other wouldn't.

I can't agree with that.

No doubt AG will packed full of as much conferencing/corporate hospitality as can be squashed in there, particularly the new williams stand.

But there's still no room elsewhere. Remember that that AV also had the ability to expand much further still. Space is all important, not just for capacity, but to be able to maximize match day sales from that capacity. It's not ideal having a bar in the stand which can only house a very limited number, and serve an equally limited number before match and at half time.

Ashton vale had a huge concourse, and being that little but further from north st means many more fans would drink there. Don't underestimate this.

AV would have been much more marketable, in terms of naming rights, as well as attracting businesses.

Imagine a leaflet or a web page...one has ashton gate, a cramped mishmash, minimal parking, ugly tower blocks looming over head...

The other a gleaming iconic red state of the art beacon, sat on a trunk road next to a park and ride, with a hotel on site.

One would beat off competition from the city centre, and possibly even cardiff, the other wouldn't.

You can agree or not - 80% is the figure given by the club.

Your description of AG doesn't ring true with me - it's a fantastic traditional ground in a wonderful majestic setting with the park, pubs etc., and very much part of the local community. The plans for the redeveloped Gate will be it's next natural progression giving modern facilities, new income streams and increasing capacity whilst remaining on the footprint most of us are proud to call 'home'. Long may those local pubs thrive.

Your enthusiasm for AV with the 'trunk road, the park and ride and the hotel'  makes me feel a bit sick.

Long live Ashton Gate.

In terms of the stadium AG might produce 80% of the revenue, but does it take in the hotel, fast food and pub leasing income? I doubt it, also the Arena was due to be on the site producing even more leasing income/ car parking revenue.

AG is our home but it is definitely a poor second in terms of revenue.

In terms of the stadium AG might produce 80% of the revenue, but does it take in the hotel, fast food and pub leasing income? I doubt it, also the Arena was due to be on the site producing even more leasing income/ car parking revenue.

AG is our home but it is definitely a poor second in terms of revenue.

A poor second, as in 20% less revenue, the lack of an hotel accounting no doubt for a large portion of that 20%.

The figure of 80% of the revenue came in a statement from a member of the board.

Out of interest, where exactly has your contrary information come from?

Oh, you've gone Purple Paul.

Perhaps you could answer when you get back from the Rovers/Bury game?

Your enthusiasm for AV with the 'trunk road, the park and ride and the hotel' makes me feel a bit sick.

Exactly, the club. Not an independent commission. They can say whatever they want though, can't they, whenever it suits... I'm surprised you are willing to take it as gospel. I am certainly not.

You misunderstand me regarding AG. I love the place. My earlier post was purely regarding revenue comparison between the two options, not fan experience/preference. I was talking from a potential business/conferencing view, which is why I mentioned leaflets and web pages.

I am a big fan of Ashton Gate's traditional form and location, in amongst the houses and the pubs.

I look forward to the redevelopment, am ready to embrace it whole heartedly. But will it be as lucrative as the vale, or as equally effective as a springboard for the club going forward, I think not.

Your description of AG doesn't ring true with me - it's a fantastic traditional ground in a wonderful majestic setting with the park, pubs etc., and very much part of the local community. The plans for the redeveloped Gate will be it's next natural progression giving modern facilities, new income streams and increasing capacity whilst remaining on the footprint most of us are proud to call 'home'. Long may those local pubs thrive.

Your enthusiasm for AV with the 'trunk road, the park and ride and the hotel'  makes me feel a bit sick.

Long live Ashton Gate.

Your points and opinion are well presented Nogbad.

Ashton Gate, to all City fans will always be a special place. 

But, like or loathe it, modern football is moving on, and if we want to keep pace, we have to move with the times.

Redeveloping Ashton Gate pulls at the heart strings, agreed, but will it give us the best chance of future success? Limited space inevitably means limited opportunities.

Making do or Moving on?

With a heavy heart I have to choose the Ashton Vale option. 

There's pros and cons on both sides of this debate. Worth remembering, though, that redeveloping has not hindered West Brom or Norwich, two clubs it should not be beyond our scope (although probably our wit, sadly) to emulate. In my humble opinion.

Somehow, we've got to start making the most of what we have, rather than what we thought we would have. We've rarely been able to do this in our history. A redeveloped AG, with a 26, 000 capacity, should be more than enough to sustain us as a competitive Championship club. Swansea are doing well in the Prem on 19/ 20, 000. Because the blokes running the place are making better decisions than the blokes running ours.

If we go about thinking and saying "we can't..." and "we won't" because we're still at AG, not at AV, then we probably won't...and can't...achieve much more than we ever have. We can do so much more, even at a less-inspiring redeveloped AG, than we have managed for most of the last 33 years.

If the refurb is not a cheapo/ bodgething, we could have a vibrant AG down there, with a successful team, of course. Let's be a bit more positive and upbeat. Cmon

No, Horace. It means excited, lively punters, with a spring in their step. And a song in their heart. And a bit more leg room (or *****le room). I think AV might mean more in the way of circus gimmicks and razamatazz.

And have you told "daddy" that you borrowed his phone to twit that geoff twentytwelveman?

Scarily coherent post, Lord Les of Hallatrow.

Think it could all be academic anyway, a revamped AG looks like the only option now....

Amazing what a five game unbeaten run can do for mind, body and soul, eh?!

The decision about AG/ AV might be out of our hands now, but the way we think about staying at AG, our "mindset" is down to us. I'm looking forward to whatever happens. Apart from a glorious spell, remember, between 1982 and 1994, approximately, a period of unrivalled succes, this club has underperformed, big style. Try arguing with that!

Archived