IGNORED

The Mem

The Joker

Don't know where you or anyone else got that from Arn, it's just not true.

It's been stated many times that a redeveloped AG would produce 80% of the maximum income Ashton Vale could achieve.

It will be by far the best stadium in the Bristol area even if Rovers eventually get the go ahead for their shockingly tedious and characterless bowl..

I've read this 80% figure before from you Nogbad and I have no idea if it is accurate or not.

My point is you seem to be quoting it as a positive, but I see it as the opposite.

I wonder what SL would think of a 20% drop in his private income.

According to the Rovers forum even the Bury Firm turned up to have a go at them today?!

Yes, they arrived at the Vic 10 mins before kick off, when it was practically empty!

Still, I'm sure that the nimbys prefer to see a scuffle on the street, rather than the sight of people carrying those awful Sainsburys carrier bags. 

P.S. Did anybody know that Bury actually had a firm?? 

Yes, they arrived at the Vic 10 mins before kick off, when it was practically empty!

Still, I'm sure that the nimbys prefer to see a scuffle on the street, rather than the sight of people carrying those awful Sainsburys carrier bags. 

Yes, they are called the Neville Neville crew, they are all well groomed I understand.

Masters of Ecky-thump, mate. You should see them wielding g a five-pound black pudding :o

No, Horace. It means excited, lively punters, with a spring in their step. And a song in their heart. And a bit more leg room (or *****le room). I think AV might mean more in the way of circus gimmicks and razamatazz.

And have you told "daddy" that you borrowed his phone to twit that geoff twentytwelveman?

I let Horace use my phone between five and six on Saturday, but only to twit 20person. He's not allowed to use it at any other time since he ordered 50 kilos of slugs instead of 50 grams.

Mind you, I took 6 litres of cider to a party recently without realising that it was 11 pints. Bloody foreign money :grr:

I let Horace use my phone between five and six on Saturday, but only to twit 20person. He's not allowed to use it at any other time since he ordered 50 kilos of slugs instead of 50 grams.

Mind you, I took 6 litres of cider to a party recently without realising that it was 11 pints. Bloody foreign money :grr:

That's a lot of sluuuugs, maan. Bet Horace was off his twits, wasn't he?

Didn't realise they had fans let alone a firm.

All jokes aside about this Bury thing but, according to the sag forum, a bloke walking to the game with his son was bottled and the son belted. That's scum of the highest order IMO. If like minded idiots wanted a ruck then so be it but innocent families?

I hope the r*vers fans are ok (tin hat one).

All jokes aside about this Bury thing but, according to the sag forum, a bloke walking to the game with his son was bottled and the son belted. That's scum of the highest order IMO. If like minded idiots wanted a ruck then so be it but innocent families?

I hope the r*vers fans are ok (tin hat one).

No tin hat required there mate. If it's true that's disgusting. My Uncle takes my 2 young cousins to The Mem and I'd hate for that to happen around them.

As you say, I hope he's alright.

Well guys, I think however we look at it, as amusing as it may be after all the "banter" and dare I say vitriol from the blue few after our setbacks on AV, this is still bad news in the long run for us - and I'll explain my opinion.

The building of new stadia for both clubs would have given Bristol the best chance of getting football befitting of the cities standing in the country.

This would mean in the long term the standard of football would more than likely improve with the new stadium effect (attracting more new "fans") to begin with, and then hopefully with the increased revenue and bigger crowd effect, this would push the clubs foward (maybe us a top half/playoff chasing championship club, and the sags the same in league one) on a consistant basis.

This in turn would increase national exposure to Bristol football and decent players would be far happier and more likely to come here to ply their trade. Instead, as is the case now, we have (in the past and who knows in the near future) had to pay way over the odds to attract "quality" players.

Again in turn, this would then have the chance - in the medium term to start, to make us into a least a prem/championship yo-yo club, and the sags a championship/league one recipricating club. Long term Who knows?

Now I know that we have the fair play financial handicap to contend with, and therefore we are signing alot of younger, cheaper players, but believe me if we continue to have a standing in the league table as bad as we do now, the board will panic, and how long will this last? Maybe in the future if this doesn't improve we'll end up with just less more expensive players, that mean we operate a threadbare squad? Therefore we need to increase are revenue if we are to progress.

The TWO football clubs in Bristol desperately need new facilities, I'm yet to be convinced that either club will have sufficient benefits to warrant upgrading their existing sites - both have increadably poor access, parking and infrastructure in place.

Yes it's very satisfying to gloat over the sags current strifes (and god knows they deserve our mockery after all the dog walking jibes I'm sure we've all recieved), and I'll be doing it the same as the next city fan, but long term believe me none of us will be laughing!

This is no more a good decision for Bristol City then the Ashton Vale fiasco, missed opertunity really doesn't begin to describe these decisions!!

I've read this 80% figure before from you Nogbad and I have no idea if it is accurate or not.

My point is you seem to be quoting it as a positive, but I see it as the opposite.

I wonder what SL would think of a 20% drop in his private income.

It's been stated many times ( no, not just by me!) and this has been gone through on this forum on numerous occasions.

In fact at a recent Fans Parliament meeting MG - Martin Griffiths? - stated that 'AG can produce as much income as a new stadium at Ashton Vale'

.http://www.otib.co.uk/index.php?/topic/154642-ashton-vale-v-ashton-gate/

As for what SL would think of a 20% drop in his private income, well perhaps he'd factor it against the 52m saved by redeveloping AG instead of building Ashton Vale.

Your points and opinion are well presented Nogbad.

Ashton Gate, to all City fans will always be a special place. 

But, like or loathe it, modern football is moving on, and if we want to keep pace, we have to move with the times.

Redeveloping Ashton Gate pulls at the heart strings, agreed, but will it give us the best chance of future success? Limited space inevitably means limited opportunities.

Making do or Moving on?

With a heavy heart I have to choose the Ashton Vale option. 

If the redevelopment of AG gets the go ahead, and the dreadful spectre of Ashton Gate being obliterated and built on is lifted, I suspect your spirits will soar.

Hope so, anyway, on both counts. :thumbsup:

Think you're being massively negative, Bristol is a wonderful, vibrant place to live.

As a youngster in school, I used to look at the map on the back of my excersise book and make comparisons with other cities in the UK, I would also take an intersest in all major planning applications for the city and surrounding area. Over the years I've seen hundreds of things fail to come to fruition, or been lost when we already had them. For example here are just a few that spring to mind: Exhibition centre, lost. Grand prix boat racing ,lost. Shipwreck centre, lost. ATA metro, lost. numerous other transport schemes lost. Centre for the performing arts, lost. numerous arena plans down the drain. Ring road never completed. Stadiums held up/lost. International/ large swimming pool, 50 years to build. Ice rink lost. I'm sure there are many more.

And that's not to mention our second/third/fourth rate sporting representatives. 

I love my city and will fight for it. I want my city to be better, I don't want a collective of mediocre things, which I admit do make for a very good city compared to others, I want top quality things for my city as well. Instead we get a Mayor who's doing his best for all the minority groups while ignoring the masses, a Mayor who's concentrating on stopping car use and bringing in a congestion charge, in some sort of attempt to quell those commuting into the city. Installing RPZs (paid parking zones). Instead of decent transport we have, the promotion of cycling, which might suit those in the flatlands of central Bristol but, does nothing for the people living within the boundaries up the hill and miles away, those  who struggle to commute through or around the city because of the restrictions imposed on road use in the last decade and before.

Not massively negative, just totally peed right off with it all.

Anyone remember the battle tesco faced to build at Golden Hill?? That was for a much smaller store and wasn't building over a war memorial, just 4 bloody lime trees. If people can be that protective over some trees then it would sadden me greatly if they are not prepared to do the same for a war memorial. The gates are not the memorial, the ground is a memorial.

There is a sainsburys at Stoke Gifford, fairly decent size, is there really any need to build another just 5 minutes up the road??

In this area there is already a Tesco at golden Hill, just 2 mins away, maybe tesco are the mystery backers for trash, surprised they have been rather quiet about a huge store being built right on their patch and them having nothing to say about it.

Then there is a co up a little further down the road plus a little sainsburys and morrisons. A little further there is a tesco extra at eastville, then there is various little tescos dotted around the area, plus Lidl bottom of monks park, waitrose in Henleaze, new asda next to where UWE stadium site. Then of course tesco at Bradley Stoke and Morrisons and Asda at Cribbs a bit further away. Plus all the independent stores dotted around everywhere so is there really a need to build a sainsburys on a war memorial?? I would say the area is pretty saturated when it comes to super markets so I think the JR has a decent chance of success.

I don't think the council has given much thought to this so can see why there is to be a JR, That area is effectively already served by two tesco's and Sainsburys and Asda at Stoke Gifford. I guess BCC failed to take them into account considering they are in South glos. It would be interesting to see the planning docs for the existing Sainsburys to see what area they plan to serve. My guess the Horfield area would be in the area they serve. If anyone can find such a document it would be a gold nugget for trash.

Btw I'm all for developments, I live in a new development myself, however I feel supermarkets are best situated put of town, such as cribbs causeway, everything all in one place and not impacting on any residents. Building super markets in residential areas with poor access and infrastructure just isn't right imo. Chuck them next to ring roads motorways etc where their impact is minimal.

Don't know where you or anyone else got that from Arn, it's just not true.

It's been stated many times that a redeveloped AG would produce 80% of the maximum income Ashton Vale could achieve.

It will be by far the best stadium in the Bristol area even if Rovers eventually get the go ahead for their shockingly tedious and characterless bowl..

Morning Nogs

My understanding was the new Ashton Vale to have shops, bars, restustants,perhaps leisure facilities such as ax swimming pool, bowling etc etc

The whole idea was the arena to have things that would be used 7 days of the week and not just on matchdays

The stadium of light is typical if what City were trying to build

Ashton Gate new ground would be nothing like that hence no where near the same amount if revenue produced

As a youngster in school, I used to look at the map on the back of my excersise book and make comparisons with other cities in the UK, I would also take an intersest in all major planning applications for the city and surrounding area. Over the years I've seen hundreds of things fail to come to fruition, or been lost when we already had them. For example here are just a few that spring to mind: Exhibition centre, lost. Grand prix boat racing ,lost. Shipwreck centre, lost. ATA metro, lost. numerous other transport schemes lost. Centre for the performing arts, lost. numerous arena plans down the drain. Ring road never completed. Stadiums held up/lost. International/ large swimming pool, 50 years to build. Ice rink lost. I'm sure there are many more.

And that's not to mention our second/third/fourth rate sporting representatives.

I love my city and will fight for it. I want my city to be better, I don't want a collective of mediocre things, which I admit do make for a very good city compared to others, I want top quality things for my city as well. Instead we get a Mayor who's doing his best for all the minority groups while ignoring the masses, a Mayor who's concentrating on stopping car use and bringing in a congestion charge, in some sort of attempt to quell those commuting into the city. Installing RPZs (paid parking zones). Instead of decent transport we have, the promotion of cycling, which might suit those in the flatlands of central Bristol but, does nothing for the people living within the boundaries up the hill and miles away, those who struggle to commute through or around the city because of the restrictions imposed on road use in the last decade and before.

Not massively negative, just totally peed right off with it all.

The area doesn't need a Sainsburys, the sole purpose of the idea is to benefit share-holders, nothing more.

Plus I believe the flattening of the site is wrong on every level. Plus I hate Bristol R*vers.

The unfavour of the month -the green counci- deserve credit if supposed progress is denighed in this instance.

As for AG/AV - I was never for a move. The identity and tradition of our club would be further up in smoke. Let's emulate Norwich or West Brom, not souless bores like Reading.

Rather be at AG in league1 than play in a different colour, be called City Robins or play in a shopping mall.

Rather be at AG in league1 than play in a different colour, be called City Robins or play in a shopping mall.

Fully understand what you're saying. Of course we all love the spiritual home of our club.......but! I'm not sure of your personal circumstances but parking at the gate is absolutely horrendous, even at the moment with small crowds!

Can you imagine what this would be like if we were getting 20,000 + crowds regularly?

To be honest, it would probably stop alot of folks comming eventually, stifling the club yet again.

Morning Nogs

My understanding was the new Ashton Vale to have shops, bars, restustants,perhaps leisure facilities such as ax swimming pool, bowling etc etc

The whole idea was the arena to have things that would be used 7 days of the week and not just on matchdays

The stadium of light is typical if what City were trying to build

Ashton Gate new ground would be nothing like that hence no where near the same amount if revenue produced

The point is though Arn as the likes of Nick J pointed out at the time, it was never clarified how much of the revenue generated at AV would be going to the club. A drive thru restaurant was proposed at AV for example, and there's no way McDonalds/KFC/Burger King would've been giving their profits made to City! Therefore, the fact there is no drive thru restaurant proposed as part of the AG redevelopment is no loss whatsoever.

For the record AV proposed ONE shop, a drive thru, conference facilities and NOT leisure facilities.

Personally, the 80% figure quoted sounds believable to me.

Fully understand what you're saying. Of course we all love the spiritual home of our club.......but! I'm not sure of your personal circumstances but parking at the gate is absolutely horrendous, even at the moment with small crowds!

Can you imagine what this would be like if we were getting 20,000 + crowds regularly?

To be honest, it would probably stop alot of folks comming eventually, stifling the club yet again.

parking at a new AV will be just as bad. Theres isnt going to magically be thousands of parking spaces. I think the plan for AV had spaces for 1000 cars which is just a few hundred more than AG.

As beaverface says; parking seems like a bit of a red herring. It's an issue a more compitent council would deal with re public transport. Secondly, what's AG's record attendance? 30 000ish? and we managed then. Also, the last time I went to the hellhole that is the Madjedski stadium it took an hour to escape after. We could also build a multi-story car park around AG.

Not being a $azy bastard, I

The point is though Arn as the likes of Nick J pointed out at the time, it was never clarified how much of the revenue generated at AV would be going to the club. A drive thru restaurant was proposed at AV for example, and there's no way McDonalds/KFC/Burger King would've been giving their profits made to City! Therefore, the fact there is no drive thru restaurant proposed as part of the AG redevelopment is no loss whatsoever.

For the record AV proposed ONE shop, a drive thru, conference facilities and NOT leisure facilities.

Just to add to that, AV proposed 5,500 sq m of conference/exhibition facilities. AG as existing has 1,500 sq m (Dolman) and as part of the new Wedlocks and Williams Stand will add a further 4,000 sq m of space...so will propose exactly the same as AV.

18 exec boxes proposed at AG, 24 at AV...

Exactly. Bus Pub-Crawl has been my traditional mode of transport.

Lucky you! and what about the significant amount of folks who have to work on Saturday morning (myself included) who don't have time to turn a matchday into a day long piss-up?

Footy is a working class sport, so threfore an awfull lot iof fans will be in my position.

I hear what you all are saying about AV parking tho' - I don't know the site proposed personally, is it really as bad as the gate? ?

If so thats carp! Bloody double yellows and cones everywhere. :(

Lucky you! and what about the significant amount of folks who have to work on Saturday morning (myself included) who don't have time to turn a matchday into a day long piss-up?

Footy is a working class sport, so threfore an awfull lot iof fans will be in my position.

I hear what you all are saying about AV parking tho' - I don't know the site proposed personally, is it really as bad as the gate? ?

If so thats carp! Bloody double yellows and cones everywhere. :(

That's what needs to be taken up with the council/mayor. On the Cumberland basin, we had cars parking there for many many years and I didn't see one problem attached to it, but the PC brigade come along and double line everything saying it's unsafe.

Sure I can understand circumstances where fire engines can't get around a bend for instance, so leave the double yellows just for these areas, not blitz the entire carriageways.

Fair play K I T R

I think the "proposed" bit was what was said to get things up and running. I know for a fact that some of Citys top brass went to The Stadium of Light to see how they done their stuff.

Very impressive was the word going around. Im also sure that things would have been added over the years to make it into a profitable business

Archived