IGNORED

Tranmere Match Day Thread

petehinton

To be honest, I think everyone can do whatever they like.

The only issue I took was reading that I was fickle while driving back from Tranmere by a bloke who admitted he didn't go.

If the reason is because I took my two kids to watch their team (their local football club and good on them) then he's got nothin.

Just a quicky for Jordan re the Racism in football thing, Racism has been rife or had been rife in football since the turn of the century, Andrew Watson, Hong Y Soo (Iirc) and Arthur Warton, all suffered as did DIxie Dean. The 1980's and 1990's certainly were not unique in football especially in terms of racism or NF or other group membership either Though inflatable bananas and the rest of it are shocking.  

Also consider looking further afield, racism in Spain, France and Italy as well as the Battle of Belgrade and the two Melbourne teams giving each other grief in the A league and the Israeli league which has some horrendous stuff, that makes our racism problems look timid by comparison

Players to look at include

Dalian Atkinson

Aron Winter/ Edgar Davids

Ronny Rosenthal

Julio Ceasar

Teams

St Pauli for their stand against racism in the early 1990's

Red Star Belgrade

The Turkish League

Barcelona/Real Madrid (Basque vs Royalist)

May also want to look at historical reasons for racism outside of football especially in France and Germany, where Turkish descendents and North Africans come in for torrid abuse because of historical colonial and more recent refugee stuff. Indeed Merkel has gone on record and said multicultralism in Germany has failed and the slums/ghettos in France and changes of law between blood and birth right in the mid 1990s may be a consideration as well.

May be useful, may not be

Hey Ralph, Thanks for the comment. 

I had originally planned to have a much broader approach to the subject, but I was encouraged to choose a smaller period so I could actually create something readable. I think a study on the level you mention would be more useful if I was writing a PhD or writing a book! i don't think I could fit that all in to a 8-10k word limit!

The main thinking for choosing the 1980's and early 90's is simply there is so much evidence available it shouldn't be too hard to write something half decent. It also fits into providing a rationale for the piece, I want to see if there are any lessons that can be learned from our relative success in fighting racism that can be taken to countries that have similar problems now. (This part is mostly BS, but I've got to justify the piece...)

To be honest, I think everyone can do whatever they like.

The only issue I took was reading that I was fickle while driving back from Tranmere by a bloke who admitted he didn't go.

If the reason is because I took my two kids to watch their team (their local football club and good on them) then he's got nothin.

Looks like this may have been your problem on your homeward journey.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2508720/M42-closed-22-hours-man-threatens-jump-bridge.html

if you scroll to the bottom of the page theres a vid of a mad russian nailing his bollox to the pavement in red square. :sad26:  :sad26:  :sad26:

Yeah saw that a couple of days ago, I bet his protest will stop Putin from doing whatever he's protesting about, on the other hand if he had asked nicely I expect Mr Putin would have nailed them for him.

Yeah saw that a couple of days ago, I bet his protest will stop Putin from doing whatever he's protesting about, on the other hand if he had asked nicely I expect Mr Putin would have nailed them for him.

:laugh: not sure about that, probably just crushed them with his boot!

Everything is expensive over there. Moscow is a bloody expensive place! Too expensive for clothes by the looks of it.

Russian brides must be cheap, there are loads of French blokes with them and they are as tight as foie gras gooses arse.

Edit:- French men are tight, not any part of of a Russian bride.

Russian brides must be cheap, there are loads of French blokes with them and they are as tight as foie gras gooses arse.

Edit:- French men are tight, not any part of of a Russian bride.

Ah that is a shame, you went and ruined the vision in my mind with that edit Es

he must be a chippy or something .could you swing a hammer down there trusting yourself not to miss?

If he is a chippy I hope he was carful about splinters. All well and good putting a nail through a sack with few nerve endings, very different putiing a splinter into a bollock!

And I support o Driscoll, but not the board, can somebody explain how that makes me a hypocrite ? am I also a hypocrite if I support Bristol city but don't like one of the players ? is it hypocritical to claim to support citg but to prefsr watching reading ( or fgr or whoever happens to be winning ATM ) or do accusations of hypocrisy only apply to t bird.

As far as I can see Kaiser watches Reading sometimes because his boys support them.

I really don't see the problem

One of my boys supports the New Zealand Warriors rugby league side, the last time I was in NZ i went along with him.

Perhaps I'm not a real City fan anymore!!

As far as I can see Kaiser watches Reading sometimes because his boys support them.

I really don't see the problem

One of my boys supports the New Zealand Warriors rugby league side, the last time I was in NZ i went along with him.

Perhaps I'm not a real City fan anymore!!

FFS don't wake him up Bill it's a full moon.

Although it was a good point away from home, I still felt frustrated coming out of the ground. We should have really killed them off in the first half when we were on top and played some lovely stuff.

My impressions of Ozzy and Gillett are good. Both decent and are an improvement to what we have. Ozzy and Flint looked very solid all game, as did the full backs. Midfield were okay but somebody really should of taken responsibility to make a challenge for their goal, way too easy. JET and Sam did okay aswell, JET looked dangerous in parts but was quiet most of the game really.

As for Tranmere, have to say that they were the worst team we've played so far, just awful. Nearly as bad as their home crowd, you could hear a pin drop in their end!!

Decent turn out from City and very good to see everybody from the away end clapping on the 7th minute. Onwards and upwards

Archived