IGNORED

The Ashes Thread

Dolman Block B

• Admin

Can't help but feel we let them off the hook a little bit.

They're going to make 300, but at one stage it looked like 200. It's a funny thing is momentum...

Yeah, definately feels like that.

But guess if we can bowl them out within the first hour tonight, then as long as we get infront of their score it will look better in 24 hours time

Yeah, definately feels like that.

But guess if we can bowl them out within the first hour tonight, then as long as we get infront of their score it will look better in 24 hours time

It would indeed. Alec Stewart was saying in an article that 400 is minimum at the GABBA, so that looks pretty good. And i suppose if you'd offered us 270-8 we'd have taken it. So not too shabby really.

Agree with those who say the Aussies look well under par. If even a few English batsmen bat properly I can't see any reason why England can't establish a healthy first innings lead. Fair play to Haddin and Johnson for digging out those scores. Pitch looks a road but must be difficult when you top and middle order have folded so pathetically.

England have a tendency for starting slowly in recent series' and the batting in the summer was poor, but we never got a pitch like this. Think the Aussies have to win too. They're up against it anyway, but failing to beat England at their fortress would be a crushing blow from which there may be no return.

I know it's one innings but Clarke looks shot when it comes to dealing with the short stuff. I hope that it's more to do with confidence after the summer than his back, but sadly I suspect not.

Massively regretted staying up all night around midday today but a few coffees later and I'm planning to do the same tonight. C'mon England!!!

I went to bed at 9 and up for the first session before being at my desk at 7am!! Doing the same tonight but have a days holiday tomorrow to go racing so I will get back up at 4.30 and watch until the close.

Just saw this on the England's Barmy Army Page on Facebook...

'The Courier Mail just is not learning, today they have no pictures or comment about Stuart Broad and instead say "the player, who thrives on the notoriety of openly cheating."
Lets hope they keep up this pathetic campaign as clearly it is helping him play better.
Sunny here this morning so should be a batting paradise once our batsmen have negotiated the new ball and we get the last 2 convicts out.'

Can only agree, be great to see Broad get the final 2 wickets in the first session and really stick it to the natives :D

Just saw this on the England's Barmy Army Page on Facebook...

'The Courier Mail just is not learning, today they have no pictures or comment about Stuart Broad and instead say "the player, who thrives on the notoriety of openly cheating."

Lets hope they keep up this pathetic campaign as clearly it is helping him play better.

Sunny here this morning so should be a batting paradise once our batsmen have negotiated the new ball and we get the last 2 convicts out.'

Can only agree, be great to see Broad get the final 2 wickets in the first session and really stick it to the natives :D

Well he did openly cheat......

• Admin

And the Aussies haven't then ever I take it? Plus its not in the rules, if the umpire hasn't given him out then he doesn't have to walk until otherwise.. plenty of batsmen have done this in the past and they are perfectly in their right to do so.

It's a bit like when a referee does not award a goal even though everyone saw it cross the line. Does the defending team ever say "hang on a minute ref, that was a goal" or do they just carry on at the behest of the people officiating the game?

It's a bit like when a referee does not award a goal even though everyone saw it cross the line. Does the defending team ever say "hang on a minute ref, that was a goal" or do they just carry on at the behest of the people officiating the game?

Course they don't, its win at all costs.

I think the point I was making regarding the Courier Mail is that its seems petty and hypocritical of them to be slating Broad for 'cheating' when their own are well renowned for not walking when they should. Its good that Broad is using all this negative press/abuse/booing towards him to a positive effect.

• Admin

Course they don't, its win at all costs.

I think the point I was making regarding the Courier Mail is that its seems petty and hypocritical of them to be slating Broad for 'cheating' when their own are well renowned for not walking when they should. Its good that Broad is using all this negative press/abuse/booing towards him to a positive effect.

Long may it continue, especially seeing as Broad has admitted he enjoys it :)

Stoopid convicts ;)

Our recent superiority over them definitely makes conversations with that side of my family more enjoyable than it was in the 90s!

Long may it continue, especially seeing as Broad has admitted he enjoys it :)

Stoopid convicts ;)

Our recent superiority over them definitely makes conversations with that side of my family more enjoyable than it was in the 90s!

Good to see Clarke being exposed yet again. He's a fantastic batsman but it does seem England have his number now...

Here's hoping that the dominance is here to stay for quite some time :) Judging by our bowling attack it may just be with the likes of Finn and Rankin on the fringe, batting looks potentially strong and it'll be interesting to see how Carberry gets on, just hope Mitchell Johnson isn't going to have one of his 'better spells'... he is a dangerous bowler when on song.

• Admin

Good to see Clarke being exposed yet again. He's a fantastic batsman but it does seem England have his number now...

Here's hoping that the dominance is here to stay for quite some time :) Judging by our bowling attack it may just be with the likes of Finn and Rankin on the fringe, batting looks potentially strong and it'll be interesting to see how Carberry gets on, just hope Mitchell Johnson isn't going to have one of his 'better spells'... he is a dangerous bowler when on song.

Hoping the Barmy Army give Johnson dog's abuse. He's got previous for falling apart under the kind of treatment dished out to Broad and if the Aussies are happy enough to dish it out it would be churlish of us not to reciprocate ;)

Hoping the Barmy Army give Johnson dog's abuse. He's got previous for falling apart under the kind of treatment dished out to Broad and if the Aussies are happy enough to dish it out it would be churlish of us not to reciprocate ;)

I am sure the Barmy Army will be happy to reciprocate the abuse :D

Even with the sledging it seems the same, Convicts happy to dish it but couldn't take it back... Glenn McGrath being the prime example, some of the responses by opposing batsmen towards him were classic.

• Admin

I am sure the Barmy Army will be happy to reciprocate the abuse :D

Even with the sledging it seems the same, Convicts happy to dish it but couldn't take it back... Glenn McGrath being the prime example, some of the responses by opposing batsmen towards him were classic.

But Glenn McGrath had the mental fortitude to continue picking up wickets, even if he didn't like the replies. Think back to the last tour down under. Mitch absolutely capitulated under the treatment dished to him by the Barmy Army. The clearest example of a team having the fans as their 12th man!

I remember in particular the fairly unimaginative but highly effective "He bowls to the left, he bowls to the right, that Mitchell Johnson, his bowling is shite!"

I'd love to see his first deliveries given the traditional goalkeeper treatment "wooooooooooooooh, you're shit, ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh" :D 

And the Aussies haven't then ever I take it? Plus its not in the rules, if the umpire hasn't given him out then he doesn't have to walk until otherwise.. plenty of batsmen have done this in the past and they are perfectly in their right to do so.

Definition of cheat  'act dishonestly or unfairly in order to gain an advantage' hence Broad is a cheat.

But Glenn McGrath had the mental fortitude to continue picking up wickets, even if he didn't like the replies. Think back to the last tour down under. Mitch absolutely capitulated under the treatment dished to him by the Barmy Army. The clearest example of a team having the fans as their 12th man!

I remember in particular the fairly unimaginative but highly effective "He bowls to the left, he bowls to the right, that Mitchell Johnson, his bowling is shite!"

I'd love to see his first deliveries given the traditional goalkeeper treatment "wooooooooooooooh, you're shit, ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh" :D 

You seriously have to worry about someone who has to see a shrink over jibes from the Barmy Army.

Definition of cheat 'act dishonestly or unfairly in order to gain an advantage' hence Broad is a cheat.

He didn't cheat because he wasn't given out by the umpire. Surely in order to cheat you have to break a rule or law? At best (worst?) he acted immorally, but I think it's a bit rich that a team who's last captain (Ponting) would regularly boast about never walking its a touch hypocritical

Archived