IGNORED

The Ashes Thread

Dolman Block B

Sounds like he's a fair dinkum Aussie (played for their U 19's) so he should play for them if good enough.

We have enough imports with KP, Trott, Ballance, Prior, Stokes (ish)

Fair enough if that is what you believe, but he is out with the England Performance Squad in Aus atm and has scored a couple of 100's in games.

We need to change our approach to games, scoring at 2 an over is not good enough. We need to find an opener in the Trescothick mould who will play some shots.

Yep. And before any Somerset fans go on about Compton, he isn't good enough.

Like to see Chris Dent given a go! Just because I used to play against him at junior level...

Of course he is, assume that you have not seen him play that often?

Remember last years tour?

His technique isn't up to test match cricket and he doesn't have a second gear (or the bravery to use it at test match level)

I'd sooner chuck Hildreth in the team, though I haven't seen him play for a couple of years now.

Fair enough if that is what you believe, but he is out with the England Performance Squad in Aus atm and has scored a couple of 100's in games.

Never really liked it going back to Allan Lamb/Chris & Robin Smith days, makes a mockery of playing for your country. Imo of course

Stokes is the only good thing to come out of this tour he is good enough to bat 7 which means we can go with a 5 man bowling attack which you need. I would like to see Finn come back in ok he goes for a few runs but he is a wicket taker. Carberry needs to go he has done nothing and Prior needs to sort himself out or he will be gone as well.

Like Andrew Symonds, you mean?

Possibly the biggest **** up in English cricket history. Symonds scoring hundred after hundred at about the age of 20 playing for Glos. Easily out scoring everyone.

So we choose to offer him a place in the England A squad. I genuinely believe that he'd have been the best English batsman for that generation if we'd only offered him a senior spot. But I suppose he did play for Gloucester & that in itself is a reason not to pick him.

Joke.

Possibly the biggest **** up in English cricket history. Symonds scoring hundred after hundred at about the age of 20 playing for Glos. Easily out scoring everyone.

So we choose to offer him a place in the England A squad. I genuinely believe that he'd have been the best English batsman for that generation if we'd only offered him a senior spot. But I suppose he did play for Gloucester & that in itself is a reason not to pick him .

Joke.

Head on hit the nail.

Mike smith did well for England didn't he?

Yeh. Really given a fair chance on a pitch that was more of a road.

If I remember correctly didn't he have have Elliott dropped early doors and he went on to get a big score.

He has Graeme Thoroe to thank for his single test.

Don't get me started.

You've got me started now.

If Thorpe had held that catch Australia would've been about 90-5.

He didn't. They got 500. We lost by an innings.

Can you honestly say any other player would be dropped after bowling only 23 overs in his test career. Curse of the Glos strikes again.

You've got me started now.

If Thorpe had held that catch Australia would've been about 90-5.

He didn't. They got 500. We lost by an innings.

Can you honestly say any other player would be dropped after bowling only 23 overs in his test career. Curse of the Glos strikes again.

What were his figures again?

What were his figures again?

0-89.

But I ask again, name another cricketer who would have been given only 23 overs never to be seen again.

Imagine if the Aussie selectors had done so with a certain leggie who returned 1-150 in his test debut.

If you're fishing, you're doing a stupendous job!

0-89.

But I ask again, name another cricketer who would have been given only 23 overs never to be seen again.

Imagine if the Aussie selectors had done so with a certain leggie who returned 1-150 in his test debut.

If you're fishing, you're doing a stupendous job!

Ha ha. It was harsh. Did he just get the one test as he was in for someone injured?

Smith was a cracking player, ultra reliable. But as per many players back then, you had one chance before the lancashire surrey and yorkshire failures were put back in the team.

Smith should have been picked a good 4 years before he was. Typical England selectors balls up of the past.

That said surprised he got picked by Glos considering their piss poor attitude for years with selection. More about who you knew rather than talent... before Bracewell turned up.

As it's a Cricket thread......

Corey Anderson stroked a scarcely-believable innings of 131 not out in New Zealand's win over the West Indies at Queenstown today, breaking the world record for the fastest ODI century.

His ton came off 36 balls, beating Shahid Afridi's 18-year-old record by one delivery. His stay at the crease lasted 51 minutes and spanned 41 balls, good for a strike rate of 279.

As it's a Cricket thread......

Corey Anderson stroked a scarcely-believable innings of 131 not out in New Zealand's win over the West Indies at Queenstown today, breaking the world record for the fastest ODI century.

His ton came off 36 balls, beating Shahid Afridi's 18-year-old record by one delivery. His stay at the crease lasted 51 minutes and spanned 41 balls, good for a strike rate of 279.

I saw that, incredible. And good to see Jessie Ryder's return with a ton.

I'm surprised more hasn't been made of Cricket Australia planning the itinerary which included just two warm up games against pie chuckers on flat slow pitches before the first test. Add to that the merciless bullying and mischief making of the Australian team and media. 

Notwithstanding the above I was still disappointed that we didn't stand up to them more, we seemed to just accept our part in the piece as gutless losers. I would have expected Johnson to get some short stuff aimed at him by our quicks for a start.

Difficult to watch Johnson and Warner strutting around like world beaters after one good series, what's that saying about form being temporary? They've never had any class.

Ultimately though, they've played better than us and might well have won without all the other stuff.

I cannot understand the selection. Surely if they watch Borthwick and Rankin in the nets then they can see they aren't good enough.

I would hope that in the summer the team will be as follows and the pitches will be good to bat on

May as well try to build for the future now. No idea about captaincy though as Cook doesn't seem to have a clue. Maybe Broad, maybe Bell. Nobody crying for it.

Cook

Compton

Bell

Root

Ballance

Taylor

Buttler

Stokes

Rashid

Broad

Anderson

Archived