IGNORED

Corners Again!

beaverface

Does SOD even look at corners during the week? There was one point when both of our forwards, Baldock & JET were both buggering about in the corner without either, let alone one, of them being in the actual box. It's not good enough.

Particularly when SOD places so much emphasis on areas of play which you can control. He quotes that 30% of the time (or something like that) the ball is out of play, so we can then get organised - so why doesnt he apply this logic to corners?

The players must know how rubbish the short corners are now?

The reason I mention this is because when we were chasing the game, they stopped fannying about and put the ball straight into the middle and created chances!

They know deep down that getting over is our best chance.

To be fair when we unthinkingly swing the ball in direct from a corner we are no more successful. We have been terrible at set plays since the play-off season in the championship. When we had McCombe at the far post and Elliott attacking the 2nd ball we were great in that season but gone completely off the boil since then. I guess SOD is just trying something different, hardly as if the alternative was working,

We get the odd goal from direct corners. Ball in the box will always scare defenders and all sorts of mayhem may ensue.

In all the time I've watched them I can only think of one we scored from a short corner.

Too many touches and we get closed down. We'll take free kicks from further out directly, so why not corners?  Sort it out SOD!

While we're on the subject, how insane is it to have our two main goalscorers over by the corner flag, rather than in or just outside the box? Pack or Moloney can take the corners. Not either of those two.

Archived