IGNORED

Sod Gone

WolfOfWestStreet

I think it absolutely has to be a new first-time manager.  The names being bandied either aren't suitable or have their best days past before them or were never much cop in the first place.  We envy clubs who had the foresight to give Adkins, Poyet, Rosler, Robinson, Rodgers, Martinez, Moyes and - hell - even Di Canio their first breaks but the only way we'll ever get a manager of that calibre is to identify them before someone else does.

Yes - inexperience is a risk but there are no experienced candidates who'd not be a risk.  It absolutely has to be a new appointment.  If it were down to me, I'd invite David James to an interview and see what he had to say for himself.  Throw in four or five more intelligent, articulate young coaches and former players who've got their badges and we might just unearth a diamond...

what about millen tinnion Merson etc

Ship another one out, bring another one in. Einstein's definition of insanity - doing exactly the same thing over again and expecting a different result...

Starting to think the club is rotten.

Could hardly have put it better myself.

What a total and utter shambles. I have kept largely quiet on the board of our club but this decision is, in my view, one that illustrates we are being run by people who say one thing and do the opposite and really have little idea of what they are doing or what they really want. Of all the platitudes the board came out with and with a significant upturn in recent results and then they stun us with this news. Would you believe anything they tell us from here on? I will be taking a huge amount of it with a pinch of salt.

If someone like Di Canio comes in you will have absolutely no chance of seeing the same sort of football, the same sort of philosophy or someone who will give a rats arse about the 5 pillars nonsense. Yes, we will probably see a short term bump although we already started that but you may as well right off another season because that person will want to tear up the squad yet again, may very well be hampered in doing so and either fail or walk. The board really have dropped an almighty clanger unless they intend to quietly tear up what they are publicly telling us and somehow splash the cash and risk a fine or transfer embargo or both. Insane is too mild a word for it and if we should give the board any benefits of the doubt they should come out and tell us the truth... someone has had a huge bust up with Sean and his position became untenable. Don't wrap it up in the crass explanation we have been given because to cut a wage bill in about half, bring in a virtually new team (sorry... a completely new team) and expect or demand better at this early stage in a long term strategy is insulting every single person's intelligence. 

Really?? I'm sure there are loads of top managers that could get more out of the players. Not saying SOD was a crap coach but he's not the best in the world surely?

Didn't say he was the best in the world, I meant these boys apply themselves and put in 100% effort, so no other coach out there will get anything more out of them, its a young squad slowly improving, sod was the right man to oversee this and nurture them, this may even regress there progress now as stability is key, and you can tell from the players reactions it is not a popular decision.

Stunned to be honest and not sure how I feel about it.

Reminds me a little bit of when John Ward went. We wait until there are signs of improvement and a couple decen results before sacking him. Lets hope it doesn't end up the same way.

I was beginning to get fed up to be honest but was still hopeful it would work out. It wasn't the results or performances that were getting to me, it was the negativity I felt he was bringing. Team selections, constant concern about how good our opponents were, the limitations of our team and players......he was basically digging himself into a deeper hole.

what about millen tinnion Merson etc

That's a risk of course.  But I could just as easily give you a list of managers with proven track records who've failed at clubs - O'Neill at Sunderland, Warnock at Leeds, Hughes at QPR and Scolari at Chelsea will do as a starting point.  And it's not about a sticking a load of new managers' names out the hat and picking one at random (I'd suggest Merson and Tony Adams got jobs from their reputation as a player whilst Millen and Tinnion got them through their association with the club) but meeting and interviewing new managers and finding one with the vision, ideas and work ethic to get the top.  But the likes of Steve Cotterill will never be better than half-decent and the likes of Warnock and Holloway have their best days behind them (or need a break at the very least).  Other managers are appealing but too expensive.  So we have to find not just any new candidate but a good new candidate - there's nobody suggested so far who brings up even a flicker of enthusiasm.

Some odd reactions on here. As though we were suddenly storming up the league and playing great football. Well having seen pretty much every home game for many many seasons. I haven't seen much progress. We were hopeless against Sheff U. And only looked better against Orient in the second half because they were attacking us and the game opened up. SOD failed to put out a team with any fight in them last season, and this season we appear to be on course for another drop. People talk about insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different outcome, in reference to the board. Well how about repeatedly playing a short lightweight striker on his own up front every game even when it quite clearly doesn't work. If, who ever comes in, improves results, those over reacting to SOD's departure will come round I've no doubt. Personally I don't care who comes in as long as they can put out a team who can start picking up a few more wins, 'cause under this guy they've been few and far between.

I cannot wait for this wave of disappointment from the brainwashed lot to dissipate.

Its beyond belief really.

I thought we were supporters of BCFC not SODFC.

He won 2 league games this season. That is piss poor and embarrassing.  Clearly the board think so too, lets move on.

Just adding my comment before moving on. I think the board have called this wrong and am disappointed with it. For me we needed to stick with Sod as I believed he had turned the team around after ridding us of deadwood. I think this is a knee jerk reaction and can not see us getting anyone better in. That said i will get behind the next manager and team as i always do. No use sulking now decision has been made.

Really disappointed in this decision. Such a shame! Hope the board have got someone lined up...

Just adding my comment before moving on. I think the board have called this wrong and am disappointed with it. For me we needed to stick with Sod as I believed he had turned the team around after ridding us of deadwood. I think this is a knee jerk reaction and can not see us getting anyone better in. That said i will get behind the next manager and team as i always do. No use sulking now decision has been made.

At last a bit of sense from people who supported SOD.

Pretty much sums up my feelings.

news flash we were heading to league two with SoD in charge

I disagree Monkeh.  I also disagree with your assertion that Warnock is the man for the job.  But hey it's City, so going from a manager who wants to work with a young team and make it the future to a classless dinosaur who is way past his sell-by date is more than possible.

I despair.  

+1

It is a strange decision indeed.

Arrived at (IMO) by the following factors in no specific order of significance;

1) Results

2) Anti SOD Brigade (minority) pressure

3) SOD's lack of charisma or 'passion' (irrelevant)

4) The board's lack of testes

5) Lee Johnson

6) A 'preferred choice' availability window closing fast

Time for the cliches to roll - 'Galvanise' 'Passion' 'Dogfight' 'Every game is a cup final' 'stability' 'confidence back' 'give the fans something to cheer about'

JL said in his interview it was largely down to results, which in reality were improving.

So there is something deeper at work, I think a personality clash (SOD with the board) and our boo boys were the final nail.

This season is a write off, we will likely just survive with a new manager, but would have done under SOD anyway.

SO what is the benefit of sacking him?

I disagree Monkeh.  I also disagree with your assertion that Warnock is the man for the job.  But hey it's City, so going from a manager who wants to work with a young team and make it the future to a classless dinosaur who is way past his sell-by date is more than possible.

I despair.  

Just personal prefrence thats all I've always like colin and in my view he's what we need given our current situation,

In hindsight I was wrong about robbins and we should of appointed him but thats by the by

Joke of a decision which completely goes against everything the board has said. We will get nobody in that is a better option than SO'D. This is summed up when the two favourites at the bookies are Steve Cotterill and Michael Appleton.

Now convinced we're going to be relegated more than ever. I hope the board is happy with this farcical decision.

It is a strange decision indeed.

Arrived at (IMO) by the following factors in no specific order of significance;

1) Results

2) Anti SOD Brigade (minority) pressure

3) SOD's lack of charisma or 'passion' (irrelevant)

4) The board's lack of testes

5) Lee Johnson

6) A 'preferred choice' availability window closing fast

Time for the cliches to roll - 'Galvanise' 'Passion' 'Dogfight' 'Every game is a cup final' 'stability' 'confidence back' 'give the fans something to cheer about'

JL said in his interview it was largely down to results, which in reality were improving.

So there is something deeper at work, I think a personality clash (SOD with the board) and our boo boys were the final nail.

This season is a write off, we will likely just survive with a new manager, but would have done under SOD anyway.

SO what is the benefit of sacking him?

Is this the only time that Lee Johnson could be the reason for and the solution to the problem at the same time?

Archived