IGNORED

Sod Gone

WolfOfWestStreet

Joke of a decision which completely goes against everything the board has said. We will get nobody in that is a better option than SO'D. This is summed up when the two favourites at the bookies are Steve Cotterill and Michael Appleton.

Now convinced we're going to be relegated more than ever. I hope the board is happy with this farcical decision.

ignore the booikies for about 7 days thats just where the money is going, when odds start to drop from 10/1 to 1/3 thats when you take notice,

and its a results business and we haven't got those so its the correct call, 2 wins in 27 if how JL termed it, no manager lasts with a record like that

Joke of a decision which completely goes against everything the board has said. We will get nobody in that is a better option than SO'D. This is summed up when the two favourites at the bookies are Steve Cotterill and Michael Appleton.

Now convinced we're going to be relegated more than ever. I hope the board is happy with this farcical decision.

Sacking the Creepy Crawley boss was a joke decision. Take a hard look at. O'driscolls record at bcfc we were heading for the 4th division. The O'drivell love fest confuses me. The bloke will be remembered by me as the worst city coach for me. Breaking all the wrong records. Plus he's an ignorant, arrogant person

Sacking the Creepy Crawley boss was a joke decision. Take a hard look at. O'driscolls record at bcfc we were heading for the 4th division. The O'drivell love fest confuses me. The bloke will be remembered by me as the worst city coach for me. Breaking all the wrong records. Plus he's an ignorant, arrogant person

Amazes me he doesn't post on OTIB, given those qualifications.

For the umpteenth time today re the BIB. The SO'D as head coach was not the five pillars on his own. The Pillars are to remain, thus the strategy of the young team will remain irrespective who is in charge.

SO'D even said this on several occasions. So with that clarified again. How have the board not followed the Pillars or acted in the best interests of the club?

Cheers

RMLF,

You are absolutely right and I well remember your posts earlier in the season when, although you were sceptical about SOD as manager,  you pointed out that SOD remaining  manager was not integral to the success of the 5 pillars strategy.

What you also mentioned back then becomes very important now, in that, for the long term strategy to continue and work, the new manager has to buy in to the boards plan and this will be the crucial part of the appointment. While the temptation will be to appoint some one who will keep us up, I hope it will not be at the expense of the long term  strategy in terms of playing style, bringing on young players, the academy etc. etc.

would like to say my confidence in the board is at rock bottom but with the next appointment still to come i'll save my breath.

As they said about Jaws 2, just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water. I was just considering returning, I thought the board had showed their resolve for the long term and then this. Now we have another 4 year plan, how long will this one last? Tuesday night got lots of people giving praise that didn't before and I was just looking at the fixtures for December feeling we could make a real move up the table. I don't get the timing at all, so, so disappointed.

The job here is to succeed in spite of the challenges, not to fail because of them. To overcome the odds, not be consumed, or beaten, by them. That is football. It's stupid and illogical. But that is football. That's one big reason why they get paid many, many times over the national average wage. 2 wins in 18 (Jon L said 2 in 27 on Radio Piss, counting last season's canter to relegation) is failure. And all the signs indicate a season long struggle against another relegation.

Success doesn't mean promotion, either. But it has to mean somewhere roughly halfway between that and where we are now. SOD failed to achieve this. You had to be an optimist to see things improving enough for a comfortable midtable finish this season. Our headcoach was many things, but an optimist?

As they said about Jaws 2, just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water. I was just considering returning, I thought the board had showed their resolve for the long term and then this. Now we have another 4 year plan, how long will this one last? Tuesday night got lots of people giving praise that didn't before and I was just looking at the fixtures for December feeling we could make a real move up the table. I don't get the timing at all, so, so disappointed.

The timing, other than the fact that Tuesday was a much improved performance, is spot on.

Gives us a bit of time to make an appointment and for said appointment to settle in before the transfer window opens in January. If nothing else, the board have learned that the sacking of DMC was at completely the wrong time.

It is a strange decision indeed.

Arrived at (IMO) by the following factors in no specific order of significance;

1) Results

2) Anti SOD Brigade (minority) pressure

3) SOD's lack of charisma or 'passion' (irrelevant)

4) The board's lack of testes

5) Lee Johnson

6) A 'preferred choice' availability window closing fast

Time for the cliches to roll - 'Galvanise' 'Passion' 'Dogfight' 'Every game is a cup final' 'stability' 'confidence back' 'give the fans something to cheer about'

JL said in his interview it was largely down to results, which in reality were improving.

So there is something deeper at work, I think a personality clash (SOD with the board) and our boo boys were the final nail.

This season is a write off, we will likely just survive with a new manager, but would have done under SOD anyway.

SO what is the benefit of sacking him?

I got a text from a friend at home letting me know of the sacking.

My first thought was to expect the normal trite sound-bites to flow:  "stand up and be counted", "letting the fans down", "fresh start", "European trophy in 10 years" etc.

The second thought was a replacement:  friend noted that AVB might soon be available, I replied anyone as long as not PDC or NFW.

No wonder you're confused, there was no love fest, just hope that a respected manager would be given time to turn things round.

No wonder you're confused, there was no love fest, just hope that a respected manager would be given time to turn things round.

he had 46 games in charge won 11 of those and only 2 of those in the last 27 thats plenty of time for a team he built on his own (not other peoples players like with McInnes and Millen) he failed big time but people can't see past that 5-2 smashing we had at home to donnie on johnson,

We have never played attractive football under him every single stat that can be produced is against him yet people seem to think 22nd and another relegation will be fine,

If we dropped again under SoD he's have to rebuild again with more players as we wouldnt afford league one wages and could well be in the gas's situation next season,

It couldn't go on any longer, its the correct call

he had 46 games in charge won 11 of those and only 2 of those in the last 27 thats plenty of time for a team he built on his own (not other peoples players like with McInnes and Millen) he failed big time but people can't see past that 5-2 smashing we had at home to donnie on johnson,

We have never played attractive football under him every single stat that can be produced is against him yet people seem to think 22nd and another relegation will be fine,

If we dropped again under SoD he's have to rebuild again with more players as we wouldnt afford league one wages and could well be in the gas's situation next season,

It couldn't go on any longer, its the correct call

In your opinion of course, now we'll never know. My opinion is things were getting better and the team was starting to gel, especially away from home. I honestly don't believe we'd have been relegated with him in charge. Now it's all back to square 1 again ffs.

In your opinion of course, now we'll never know. My opinion is things were getting better and the team was starting to gel, especially away from home. I honestly don't believe we'd have been relegated with him in charge. Now it's all back to square 1 again ffs.

The problem was last season SOD had a built in excuse, he took over after the january window. This season the recent improvement were still not transmitting into wins and league position and having done the deed early enough at least there is a fighting chance for a new man, the we'll never know argument was patented by RR in his argument to prove that he wasn't wrong about Millen, for me it's not about right or wrong it's now all about survival.

It was the Sheffield Utd result and performance that finally condemned him.

The decision has been made.

No going back now.

We'll never know if O'Driscoll would have saved us or taken us down. But from what I've seen we were going down.

Good luck to the new bloke.

If he avoids relegation he'll be a hero.

RMLF,

You are absolutely right and I well remember your posts earlier in the season when, although you were sceptical about SOD as manager, you pointed out that SOD remaining manager was not integral to the success of the 5 pillars strategy.

What you also mentioned back then becomes very important now, in that, for the long term strategy to continue and work, the new manager has to buy in to the boards plan and this will be the crucial part of the appointment. While the temptation will be to appoint some one who will keep us up, I hope it will not be at the expense of the long term strategy in terms of playing style, bringing on young players, the academy etc. etc.

Good post, but you know it will be :(

You can bet, whoever the next manager is will be a lap dog to the board and Lansdown.

It's no secret that SL doesn't get on with SoD... this is his doing imho.

I have no faith in this board or SL anymore... in fact I've always doubted their footballing knowledge...not their money.

I feel sorry for the next manager having to work with this lot...

I hope the fans realise it's the board killing this Club and not the managers.

Spot on Spudski. And I recall you and I agreeing with more or less all these thoughts a couple of managers ago.

Quite how the Lansdowns escape near universal criticism is beyond me. We only owe them money as a club because they've run up the debts. They have an atrocious record of managerial appointments barring GJ. When JL talks of progress made in recent months in his youtube piece I scratch my head to think of anything that will truly improve the experience of Bristol City followers...unless we're in the realms of promises of jam tomorrow.

And in those realms the Lansdowns have form. SL has been long on big talk and short on delivery. 

I have no hope or expectation that they'll find a better manager this time. Or indeed that they are following a strategy. The five pillars thing is infant class management consultant speak. With no independent voice on the Board it's all about the whims of one man, whose track record suggests he's not very good at running football clubs. I feel sorry for his son who looks completely out of his depth.

I feel more sorry for those supporters who bought the Lansdown promises yet again and invested in STs up front. 

out of intrest did you think we got rid of johnson at the correct time?

Some weeks ago SOD said someone else will work with this Club. SOD have made the basement and another will build further. SOD is a good manager I think but in City his results was very poor. 2 wins so far, this is a resultbussnis. He has not got the results, and that what counts. The board have give him more time then our previous managers. The last games in the leauge we only lost one, so in that perspective he is gonna another chance. Hard to know if it is right to sack him, time will tell. New manager? Why not Di Canio, a crazy one but the passion for his team. Mainthing is that we are climbing in the table and avoid  relegation, dont wont even to think about it. Leauge 2 its not where we wont to be

Can't say I'm gutted he's gone, but I'm not exactly jumping through hoops either. His managerial record was atrocious but like others have said, results have improved recently and it would have made more sense if he was sacked before the Carlisle game. 

I'm extremely worried that our board don't have what it takes to get the next appointment right. Steve Lansdown, admittedly as owner rather than board member, has a track record that's worse than SO'D's at BCFC! Realistically, there is no manager who I think we could appoint that makes me think 'yes, this a great appointment'. Some of the names being banded about are just dismal - Warnock, Di Canio, Wilson... I mean, do people really think these guys are right for this club long term? We've fallen so far that we are only going to attract managers on their way out of the game or unproven ones.

O'Driscoll didn't work out, and I've felt for a few weeks we were going down with him in charge, but who next? I feel like we're repeating the same cycle every 12 months and now we're relying on a new guy hitting the ground running and the board making the correct decision. I'm sick of it.

Can't say I'm gutted he's gone, but I'm not exactly jumping through hoops either. His managerial record was atrocious but like others have said, results have improved recently and it would have made more sense if he was sacked before the Carlisle game. 

I'm extremely worried that our board don't have what it takes to get the next appointment right. Steve Lansdown, admittedly as owner rather than board member, has a track record that's worse than SO'D's at BCFC! Realistically, there is no manager who I think we could appoint that makes me think 'yes, this a great appointment'. Some of the names being banded about are just dismal - Warnock, Di Canio, Wilson... I mean, do people really think these guys are right for this club long term? We've fallen so far that we are only going to attract managers on their way out of the game or unproven ones.

O'Driscoll didn't work out, and I've felt for a few weeks we were going down with him in charge, but who next? I feel like we're repeating the same cycle every 12 months and now we're relying on a new guy hitting the ground running and the board making the correct decision. I'm sick of it.

Absolutely spot on fella.

Pretty much my thoughts word for word. Awful situation to find ourselves in all honesty. I wanted it to work for SoD but it just hasn't and although I don't think we would have gone down with him in our charge we will never know.

The problem is where to go now? People calling for Warnock are again thinking short term. He is close to retirement and in two years time we will again be looking at another manager. Plus he isn't going to buy into the clubs vision and is a complete dinosaur. Di Canio? Christ it would be chaos with him here. Simply can't happen. Steve Cotterill? Jeez I think that one would reduce me to tears! There really isn't a realistic target that we could get that would make me think 'yes, that's a great appointment' either.

I don't know what to think tonight. I don't think the board do either. It's just a terrible mess. 

Being out in the wilds all day I didn't hear the news until 9.30 last night so thought I would leave my considered reaction until today.

I said the other day I thought the board had made an irrevocable decision to keep SO'D, whatever happened, and I'm very surprised and quite relieved that I was wrong.

He was an absolutely dreadful manager for BCFC who took us down in pathetic fashion last season and was on course to do the same again.

I'm very surprised so many are up in arms about his removal, his record is insupportable and there's no guarantee whatsoever City were going to improve enough under him to stay up. O'Driscoll wasn't up for the fight last season and the club absolutely could not afford a second ignominious relegation under his uninspirational leadership.

The right decision has been made imo, but this can only be confirmed by making the right appointment next. I suspect this is the over riding concern of most SO'D supporters, rather than the act of removing the man himself, because nobody can honestly say he was anything but an extremely disappointing failure at this club.

Archived