IGNORED

Holloway (Topics merged)

FredTheRed08

If Holloway was ever accepted City manager I would not only give up on this club, but with football in general.

If somebody like that could be welcomed in and cheered by the Ashton Gate crowd, then football as I know it would be dead. While we're at it, why don't change our kit to Pink and Yellow spots and go and play in Cornwall. Because at the end of the day nothing really matters does it?

What do we stand for as a club? Because if Holloway could ever be our manager, then I would argue we stand for absolutely nothing. I simply do not understand what the people that want him here see in football in the same way I will never understand Cardiff fans that are happy to play in red.

There are plenty of candidates for this job that I don't like and/or think are poor managers, but should they be named I would be fully behind them. But not him. Never.

I'm adding Warnock and Cloggerill to your list of one.

I've never felt so disillusioned with BCFC as I do now and that's not helped by JL's insistence that an intangible attribute like 'passion' is at the top of his priorities for the manager... 

If they get this wrong it's gonna take something odd to happen for me to feel the same way about the club and those destroying running it.

If Holloway was ever accepted City manager I would not only give up on this club, but with football in general.

If somebody like that could be welcomed in and cheered by the Ashton Gate crowd, then football as I know it would be dead. While we're at it, why don't change our kit to Pink and Yellow spots and go and play in Cornwall. Because at the end of the day nothing really matters does it?

What do we stand for as a club? Because if Holloway could ever be our manager, then I would argue we stand for absolutely nothing. I simply do not understand what the people that want him here see in football in the same way I will never understand Cardiff fans that are happy to play in red.

There are plenty of candidates for this job that I don't like and/or think are poor managers, but should they be named I would be fully behind them. But not him. Never.

This the best post have I read. Football used to mean something. Holloway is a good Manager, would do well, but with his background and the rivalry between the clubs this could not happen. A lot of fans on here are not old enough to remember him and the derbies we used to have that he played in. A great point made regarding Cardiff's red shirts. There would be people on here accepting us changing to blue with a new owner so long as we played in the plastic premier league. I long for a city team with a few home grown youngsters playing attractive football and trying their best every game. Accepting Holloway is accepting changing your badge, colours, claiming to support Liverpool or Chelsea or Man United from the comfort of your DFS sofa watching Sky! Those people are not real football fans!

Has nobody followed Holloway's career over the past couple of years?  Stuff the Rovers connection - the guy admitted to losing enthusiasm for the game at Blackpool and threw the towel in at Palace when he realised he no longer had the appetite for it.  The guy badly, badly, badly needs a rest.

I'd be shocked if he was back in management this season and reckon it'd be a disaster wherever he went.  Much like the old problem with signing journeymen players, we simply cannot afford to appoint a manager based on their success three or four years ago and completely disregard their recent record.

I'm adding Warnock and Cloggerill to your list of one.

I've never felt so disillusioned with BCFC as I do now and that's not helped by JL's insistence that an intangible attribute like 'passion' is at the top of his priorities for the manager... 

If they get this wrong it's gonna take something odd to happen for me to feel the same way about the club and those destroying running it.

What should the top priority be?  Coaching. tactical nous or grandiose philosophising?  SOD apparently excelled in all those and proved to be crap.  I think just a smattering of passion can go a long way.

What should the top priority be?  Coaching. tactical nous or grandiose philosophising?  SOD apparently excelled in all those and proved to be crap.  I think just a smattering of passion can go a long way.

"Passion" is a buzzword people who know nothing about football use to describe an imaginary quality.  In answer to your question, I'd say the ability to motivate players and tactical awareness to get the best out of a limited group on limited resources.

This the best post have I read. Football used to mean something. Holloway is a good Manager, would do well, but with his background and the rivalry between the clubs this could not happen. A lot of fans on here are not old enough to remember him and the derbies we used to have that he played in. A great point made regarding Cardiff's red shirts. There would be people on here accepting us changing to blue with a new owner so long as we played in the plastic premier league. I long for a city team with a few home grown youngsters playing attractive football and trying their best every game. Accepting Holloway is accepting changing your badge, colours, claiming to support Liverpool or Chelsea or Man United from the comfort of your DFS sofa watching Sky! Those people are not real football fans!

I'm struggling to understand this, it all seems a bit arbitrary to me, these 'few home grown youngsters' presumably would've have to have supported City growing up, not the other lot, and the other non-home grown players, who might they be allowed to have supported or played for? And any new owner, how far afield could he be from, Swindon? London? I can't even begin to think how 'attractive football' might be measured or who is to determine what 'trying their best' looks like, there are many here who automatically assume any defeat is pretty much due to a casual attitude or general laziness.  Overall I can't help thinking this is a fantasy far removed from any possible reality.

a bit like Alan Walsh scenario I'd imagine ?!

If he took blackpool or crystal palace or leicester OR bristol city to play rovers do you think he would want to beat them and beat them well .i do its what he does ,and i think he is pretty good at it and would be proud to be back in his home town.

"Passion" is a buzzword people who know nothing about football use to describe an imaginary quality.  In answer to your question, I'd say the ability to motivate players and tactical awareness to get the best out of a limited group on limited resources.

I tend to agree with you although I don't agree that passion is entirely nebulous.  We've all recognised it in particular players in the past.  I could mention Hartley, Carey or Sean Taylor for example.  

What we do want is a manager that ticks as many boxes as possible.  And for me that does include a passion box as well.

You think it might encourage them to do so?

Some of their decision making, I wouldn't be at all surprised if he was appointed, they are great at making completely the wrong decision, followed by attempts to back track out of it, making it a bigger mess.

I'll go once to Ashton Gate if he gets appointed, I'll get on the pitch and forcibly put my ticket down the scrawny gas ***** throat and my relationship with this club.

#notoholloway

Good point, I may pay my last ever visit to do something similar, unfortunately it would have to be the potd ticket :)

it will be a nice knowing you Bristol City from me

This entire four pages of this thread is bizarre.  Why on earth would a manager like Ian Holloway ever wish to drop to our position?  If he ever accepted a job here I would immediately question his objective... the annihilation of our club.

Just a coincidence he was at the Sheffield United game Saturday I expect.

Would be delighted at his appointment - should it happen.

He is a professional. You do a job for money.

Ask yourself - if you found yourself out of work - would you not take a job on offer, because you may 20 years ago have not liked the company???

I know I would. If I was a football coach, I would happily work for Bristol Rovers or Cardiff City if the money is right.

Ask Marcus Stewart, ask Alan Walsh, ask John Ward etc

• Admin

Ask yourself - if you found yourself out of work - would you not take a job on offer, because you may 20 years ago have not liked the company???

I know I would. If I was a football coach, I would happily work for Bristol Rovers or Cardiff City if the money is right.

Totally different, to the best of my knowledge, none of them acted unprofessionally and insulted the other club and its fans, Hollowhead has done this on more than one occasion, he is a sag, not a professional who played for them without predujice, if you don't understand the ill feeling that it would cause amongst many City fans, then I guess it would be impossible to explain further.

Stewart, Walsh and Ward are completely different.

Anyway, moot point he pretty much stated he would never join us, he dislikes us enough not to come, and for his own safety (unfortunately)  he shouldn't come.

Totally different, to the best of my knowledge, none of them acted unprofessionally and insulted the other club and its fans, Hollowhead has done this on more than one occasion, he is a sag, not a professional who played for them without predujice, if you don't understand the ill feeling that it would cause amongst many City fans, then I guess it would be impossible to explain further.

This he gets very very personal towards city fans when there are no cameras or sound recorders around.  Naivity when he was young allowed himself to show part of his true colours

Stewart, Walsh and Ward are completely different.

Anyway, moot point he pretty much stated he would never join us, he dislikes us enough not to come, and for his own safety (unfortunately)  he shouldn't come.

Marcus Stewart spent his whole childhood supporting Bristol City FC.

He then chose to play for Bristol Rovers.

It's the same thing only opposite.

For goodness sake, are we basing it on a silly thing he said in the heat of the moment when a fair few of us weren't even born?

Or there is something more recent -

"Will it mean a bit more to you if you do it today?"

"Why?"

"Beating Bristol City and being a Rovers man?"

"I'm a Blackpool man. Bristol City are a good side and its going to be tough. They're a team from my hometown, he's got them playing some nice stuff and good luck to them. We just need to be firm and keep our heads. They're just opponents, nothing more."

Ian Holloway

Blackpool v Bristol City

For goodness sake, are we basing it on a silly thing he said in the heat of the moment when a fair few of us weren't even born?

No, you clearly have had no dealings with him. Read my reply to maesknoll red.

the bloke is calculated.

ill explain like this it's like letting your worst enemy sleep with your wife because your might get a new car out of it! It would never happen this should never happen!

Or there is something more recent -

"Will it mean a bit more to you if you do it today?"

"Why?"

"Beating Bristol City and being a Rovers man?"

"I'm a Blackpool man. Bristol City are a good side and its going to be tough. They're a team from my hometown, he's got them playing some nice stuff and good luck to them. We just need to be firm and keep our heads. They're just opponents, nothing more."

Ian Holloway

Blackpool v Bristol City

Yep a Skeletor media answer, not a skeletor answer when the cameras are not rolling.  The bloke is a complete arse

Archived