IGNORED

Sl On Radio Briz (Merged)

REDOXO

I think fans should not have any say in the running of a football club. And if this forum is anything to go by, if I was chairman then I wouldn't bother replying to any of you either!

Ah yes. Well maybe if they had answered many of the placid letters, maybe just maybe people wouldn't be so angry now.

At last we have his attention. Unfortunately for him it needn't have got to this stage.

Christ, he's coming across badly at the moment.

I've spent years defending him and I've turned. FFS I hate feeling so dejected about this club already.

I'm feeling exactly the same,I'm getting seriously worried about where we are going as a club.

Whereas it was only 2-3 years ago that he made me feel excited for our future when he spoke to us at h/t on the AG pitch.

I'm not suicidal over our league position,because we can come back from things like that,eventually!

The owner just seems to be making mistake after mistake and not learning from them.

The way we sacked a manager and appointed another one without ( it feels like) a thought was/is staggering.

Surely after coming in for constant criticism on previous managerial appointments, SL should have taken a step back and looked at ALL manager options,not decide on a new one on the same flipping day!

Can anyone confirm if they have ever received a response to any letter from a board member during SLs tenure?

Of not, this facade of approachability is nonsense.

Yes, I had an email reply to a complaint regarding our teams performance against Cambridge United (think it was an FA cup game) more than a few years back.

It was from Colin Sexstone and he was very clear that he shared my disappointment with our shambolic performance. In addition he was often to be found in the Williams Stand walling about doing his thing, it was easy to stop him and chat directly with him.

So no it was not a letter and yes he did personally reply to my email and could be approached for a chat.

If I was a businessman with complete ownership of a struggling Rugby and Football club, I would be talking to the owner of the soon-to-be-non-league club in Bristol and finding out exactly what it would take for him to walk away.

I would then, if I was a man who appears to hold grudges and was so insecure as to become bitter and angry at reasonable questioning, think about the best way to make money, with no regard to history and support.

I would merge both teams, sell both grounds and build a stadium somewhere with good transport near the city.

That stadium would have the best facilities outside of London or Manchester for concerts, events and sports. Bars, accommodation, restaurants and 24/7 access and use.

It would have 2 tenants. Bristol Rugby Club, and Bristol United FC.

It doesn't matter if City or Rovers fans boycott - we stopped being the "desired customers" a long,long time ago.

And if the seventh richest man in England can't do it, then who can?

There have been whisperings of this for 18 months now. I know for 100% that a fair few others have heard this as well.

I hope a Bristol United never happens...It would be a plastic club to me, and it would mean having to support a different team than Bristol City, something I don't think I could ever do...

That's the first time I've seen steve and been unimpressed. Thought he has lost the plot a little, and a little bit of my respect (not that he would care about that!).

The passion was still there, but this time it seemed misguided, and he appeared slightly deluded and in denial.

Good morning.

I would like to impress upon all fans, disappointed by the lack of response from the club to their written letters, the importance of including a Stamped Addressed Envelope with their letter, if they really, really want a reply.

Can I also remind all nostalgic, middle aged fans, that Mr Terence Cooper used to spend too much time writing to fans, when he should instead have been out organising the defence on the training pitch. A case of serious neglect at the time.

Lastly, might I be so bold as to suggest that these complaints become magnified in their intensity and the perceived slight received to the spurned, as they see themmselves, when the team is doing sh1te. A run of poor form that cannot be entirely the fault of the owner and his besieged board. Plus, it is worth remembering, that young Jon has possibly never written a letter in his life, innit. Apart from the one to Santa. Who does leave him a reply, but not the bloody things he asks for (sound keeper, centre half, striker, some luck etc...)

If you are of a mind to go looking for things to be upset by, a football club is a good place to start. Just remember the SAE, please?

Good morning.

I would like to impress upon all fans, disappointed by the lack of response from the club to their written letters, the importance of including a Stamped Addressed Envelope with their letter, if they really, really want a reply.

Can I also remind all nostalgic, middle aged fans, that Mr Terence Cooper used to spend too much time writing to fans, when he should instead have been out organising the defence on the training pitch. A case of serious neglect at the time.

Lastly, might I be so bold as to suggest that these complaints become magnified in their intensity and the perceived slight received to the spurned, as they see themmselves, when the team is doing sh1te. A run of poor form that cannot be entirely the fault of the owner and his besieged board. Plus, it is worth remembering, that young Jon has possibly never written a letter in his life, innit. Apart from the one to Santa. Who does leave him a reply, but not the bloody things he asks for (sound keeper, centre half, striker, some luck etc...)

If you are of a mind to go looking for things to be upset by, a football club is a good place to start. Just remember the SAE, please?

SAE?  Are you having a larf?

That is simply not business practice.  I keep hearing that football is a business.  If its going to fail the test at return envelopes then I give up.

I have never had a problem getting a response, from either the current, or recent past board or management. With one exception this year, the ticket office. In that area the club made a disastrous change, from the enthusiastic and switched on team that was there, to one, or whatever it is, that still does not know what it is doing.

However, in terms of getting access to the club, City seem more open than many others, with everything from informal chats to the manager, Sl turning up to a pub pre game, and god knows how many open forums.

I have a real issue with fans who start talking about accountability, corporate responsability and the like. This is not a listed company, it is owned by a significant majority by 2 people. Since when did fans gain this divine right to "answers". i mean what answers are you looking for exactly. If the answers are so damn easy, then we should all be able to list them down. I am sure Sl can find other ways to burn millions, and I am also sure that his intention and desire is to create a top football and rugby club. Yes Cardiff and Swansea show , that even in the South West, it is possible to do things right. So learning from both of them , and I am sure we have, helps. (new stadiums too, note Bristol Council)

Personally, I agree the 5 pillars stuff for me sounds straight out of something David Brent, however the objectives of them are exactly what has been missing these last 20 years. We are trying to improve scouting and recruitment, coaching of the youth to first team,  and put together a real plan for a modern stadium. But that will still take some years to bear fruit, yet people here expect it all in 6 months. There has been a fundamental change, so the club has tried to rectify what was an ongoing joke.

It looks also pretty clear to me that the club needs to appoint a proper sporting managing director, to improve the operations at the club and link up with the actives of the academy and recruitment, and work with the manager/coach on a day to day business. It was an error to let Colin Sexton go, and not replace him correctly.

The constant moaning though is getting very very thin. I do not think we are far from Sl letting it all go, that was the sense I got from that last interview. He will write off the debt, sell out for whatever he can, and let someone else take on the challenge of building and funding the stadium and doing something decent on the pitch, or make be just liquidate the club, so all of the expert fans on here can then take over. I mean so many make it sound so easy, this could be their big chance. . I am quite sure he has better things to do with his life if the moaning gets great and widespread.  

My take on this, is somewhere in the middle, you need to look at what is changing, or has changed, get behind the team right now, because a lot of our ills will be solved by winning a few on the bounce , the operational issues ( as a business) clearly need sorting, and much faster than they have been, and whilst focusing reduced budgets on the playing side as much as possible is logical, as an entertainment business, you still need to get the customers in, sell them tickets, and feed them properly.

But the "outrage" at every comment, non comment, managers accent, the size of the program , the colour of the grass to the size of the coffee cups is getting out of hand, is non productive, and will only serve to drive us further down. This is a time for sticking together, supporting, and toughing up. If people really want it to get worse, then it really can. That does not mean everything is ok, it is not, but there needs to be a real sense of perspective. 

Excellent post. I agree entirely.

people are quick to critise but are not forth coming with solutions,

If there is such discontent as some of these posts make out why isn't there fan protests sack the board chants from the stands and people getting together to see what can be done,

like at hull cardiff portsmouth chester newcastle man united and the countless other clubs fans that try to do something about boards they don't like,

The last time there was real protests in the stands that I can remember was against Laycock when Pulis was in charge,

Stop talking and do something if you want things to change

If there is such discontent as some of these posts make out why isn't there fan protests sack the board chants from the stands and people getting together to see what can be done,

like at hull cardiff portsmouth chester newcastle man united and the countless other clubs fans that try to do something about boards they don't like,

The last time there was real protests in the stands that I can remember was against Laycock when Pulis was in charge,

I agree with this.  However, I think most people have no idea what realistic changes could be made. And there was very little clear consensus anyway on the managerial choices.

"Sack the board" is a meaningless request as nobody can sack them but themselves.

I'm clutching at straws myself for what could/should be done.  All I do know is that our turnover of players is shocking.  I don't think any player who comes here believes they are coming into a cohesive unit with a strong ethic.  Half the players at any one time are newcomers.  Add the threat of relegation and self-preservation is the most likely objective.  "If/when we get relegated what opportunities do I have elsewhere at other clubs?".

I don't recall seeing the team really getting up for it, straining every sinew, focusing their anger and energy over 90 minutes.  I don't want to see individually talented players as such, I want to see a team where the total is greater than the sum of the parts in League 1.  This can only happen where a manager knows his stuff and the players play for the team and not their agents or careers.  How can it be that so many less experienced, lesser funded teams are above us in this division? Its application and desire.

Maybe we've got a manager to do it for us now, though I still very much doubt we've got the players who have it between the ears, let alone the footballing talent.

I agree with this.  However, I think most people have no idea what realistic changes could be made. And there was very little clear consensus anyway on the managerial choices.

"Sack the board" is a meaningless request as nobody can sack them but themselves.

I'm clutching at straws myself for what could/should be done.  All I do know is that our turnover of players is shocking.  I don't think any player who comes here believes they are coming into a cohesive unit with a strong ethic.  Half the players at any one time are newcomers.  Add the threat of relegation and self-preservation is the most likely objective.  "If/when we get relegated what opportunities do I have elsewhere at other clubs?".

I don't recall seeing the team really getting up for it, straining every sinew, focusing their anger and energy over 90 minutes.  I don't want to see individually talented players as such, I want to see a team where the total is greater than the sum of the parts in League 1.  This can only happen where a manager knows his stuff and the players play for the team and not their agents or careers.  How can it be that so many less experienced, lesser funded teams are above us in this division? Its application and desire.

Maybe we've got a manager to do it for us now, though I still very much doubt we've got the players who have it between the ears, let alone the footballing talent.

Yep nail on the head here, football has changed so much clubs now have owners and they can basically do whatever they want, we might not like it but there is very little that can be done these days, as our cousins over the bridge know and I see Mckay and Ting Tong Tan are on a collision course once more.

• Admin

I have never had a problem getting a response, from either the current, or recent past board or management. With one exception this year, the ticket office. In that area the club made a disastrous change, from the enthusiastic and switched on team that was there, to one, or whatever it is, that still does not know what it is doing.

However, in terms of getting access to the club, City seem more open than many others, with everything from informal chats to the manager, Sl turning up to a pub pre game, and god knows how many open forums.

I would be interested to know the examples of how you have had contact with the club and how you have "never had a problem getting a response" please.

100% agree with you the ticketing situation has been a nightmare for a while, excluding the new system, things have never been the same since Jayne Maggs left, but saying that the "actual team" have also been helpful and polite whenever dealing with them.

I do wonder about us being the only club that hold these "forums", I know WSM FC have been doing them for years, but I can't believe that we are the only league club doing them.

As for SL turning up to a pub pre game, that has been a few years now, maybe this is part of the problem that people feel unattached to the club now?

I would be interested to know the examples of how you have had contact with the club and how you have "never had a problem getting a response" please.

100% agree with you the ticketing situation has been a nightmare for a while, excluding the new system, things have never been the same since Jayne Maggs left, but saying that the "actual team" have also been helpful and polite whenever dealing with them.

I do wonder about us being the only club that hold these "forums", I know WSM FC have been doing them for years, but I can't believe that we are the only league club doing them.

As for SL turning up to a pub pre game, that has been a few years now, maybe this is part of the problem that people feel unattached to the club now?

Do most club owners turn up at the pub pre-game, Phant?  I don't think Steve L is more distant than others; let's face it, nowadays half of them can barely speak English!

Very true. When was the last Q&A with SL?

Wolves?

Yes, it was 16 March this year:

http://www.bristolcityst.org.uk/trust_news/article000666.shtml

We tried to get one at Crewe this year, but the dates just wouldn't work out. SL was at that point keen to still do them (probably still is, but will ask). I have also asked JL to do one and to visit bars around Ashton Gate.

Stu

I've never had much problems with contacting the clubs and getting answers for questions I may have had to be fair,

Perhaps DaveL can help us out on this one and arrange another Wolves away question and answer thing like last season, a few more infromal things like that could go a very long way,

It wouldn't happen right away because the bile is at its most potant at the moment but perhaps in the new year he could arrange something,

• Admin

Yes, it was 16 March this year:

http://www.bristolcityst.org.uk/trust_news/article000666.shtml

We tried to get one at Crewe this year, but the dates just wouldn't work out. SL was at that point keen to still do them (probably still is, but will ask). I have also asked JL to do one and to visit bars around Ashton Gate.

Stu

Perhaps DaveL can help us out on this one and arrange another Wolves away question and answer thing like last season, a few more infromal things like that could go a very long way,

It wouldn't happen right away because the bile is at its most potant at the moment but perhaps in the new year he could arrange something,

Completely saw the reason for these meetings at away games to assist with our "exiles" being able to keep in contact.

But maybe a controlled "open event" at AG8 would be good to do?

FAO Monkeh, maybe now IS a better time for it, get these questions addressed and then everyone can move on?

• Admin

I have written to them, e ,mailed them, called them met them , got a reply. The only time I did not get a correct response was to the ticket office this year. 

I never said we were the only club to hold forums , others do of course, but equally many others don't. You won't find many club owners turning up in a pub before an away game to chat with fans. Look at the consultation the club has done for the new ground. I think people need to be realistic, but that does not mean things can be done differently or better. Football is emotional, when you are up the world is amazing, lose and it is doom. But "demanding answers" for everything is unrealistic. The single biggest area fans should be concerned about is ownership of the ground, as that has been the downfall of a vast number of clubs, I think Nick J raised the issues there. 

Thank you for the reply, blimey I hope all that contact was not all complaints :fear:

Completely saw the reason for these meetings at away games to assist with our "exiles" being able to keep in contact.

But maybe a controlled "open event" at AG8 would be good to do?

FAO Monkeh, maybe now IS a better time for it, get these questions addressed and then everyone can move on?

while we all would want it now peoples dates would have to tie up for example there would be no point in holding one in a midweek afternoon as 99% of the adult fan base would be at work,

The best time would be to advertise it and hold it pre-game say 1pm in the dolman hall and would be open to everone who has brought a ticket for said game (space will dictaite),

• Admin

while we all would want it now peoples dates would have to tie up for example there would be no point in holding one in a midweek afternoon as 99% of the adult fan base would be at work,

The best time would be to advertise it and hold it pre-game say 1pm in the dolman hall and would be open to everone who has brought a ticket for said game (space will dictaite),

100% agree

100% agree

Perhaps the supporters trust (thatcham ;) ) can get something going,

I do agree with a few things thats been said by both sides but with out dialog things will continue to drift apart, I do enjoy reading the e-mails we've had from JL and I think he is doing a good job on that front but the silence from the rest of the board is deafening, leaving poor jon to face the brunt of things,

If Dawe doesn't want to speak to the fans then he should resign as chairman and just sit on the board, bring an experenced chairman in to help Jon, he doesn't even have to invest we just need someone other then the current board to help change impressions,

Off the field we are nearly there on the field we are a million miles away and you can't put 100% of blame on the board but they do need to take some responcability and have some accountability,

Still at least he has his priorities right...tens of millions in debt, hemorrhaging fans at an alarming right, club falling like a stone BUT people on a forum the club has nothing to do with can come down for chat chat.

Of course there was a facility to ask questions directly on here many moons ago, but even that proved too hard.

if you remember it got abused so he gave up.

Asked the same question over the weekend. Needless to say, nobody answered.

You're right though, the fans that want rid of the board need to make themselves heard. Get in the car park outside the Williams on a Saturday, protest and make feelings known. I got involved when we were trying to oust Russe and his cronies.

Easier to do it on here though.

You're right though, the fans that want rid of the board need to make themselves heard. Get in the car park outside the Williams on a Saturday, protest and make feelings known. I got involved when we were trying to oust Russe and his cronies.

But in a later post Monkeh himself says that Dawe should resign as Chairman if he doesn't want to speak to the fans.

Perhaps the supporters trust (thatcham ;) ) can get something going,

I do agree with a few things thats been said by both sides but with out dialog things will continue to drift apart, I do enjoy reading the e-mails we've had from JL and I think he is doing a good job on that front but the silence from the rest of the board is deafening, leaving poor jon to face the brunt of things,

If Dawe doesn't want to speak to the fans then he should resign as chairman and just sit on the board, bring an experenced chairman in to help Jon, he doesn't even have to invest we just need someone other then the current board to help change impressions,

Off the field we are nearly there on the field we are a million miles away and you can't put 100% of blame on the board but they do need to take some responcability and have some accountability,

It isn't the role of a chairman to talk to the fans: he's there to chair the board on behalf of shareholders. The fact that you want something else will cut no ice with anyone. There are many ways in which club and fans communicate: letters from JL, SL in pubs and on radio, the manager (when it was SOD) meeting fans in pubs, DL and all his works, fans parliament etc.. The club communicates enough, IMO, and much more than most. Our problem is that we don't like any number of things about BCFC, not that we are communicated with. Perhaps as a group maybe we should let them get on with it and stop being so bl**ding negative and needy...

Yes, I seem to recall you and your sort giving it some outside the main entrance in the 80s, too...bloody gobby sh1tes

Archived