IGNORED

Sl On Radio Briz (Merged)

REDOXO

Looks like you should take your own advice too. He does not agree with you, yet you feel the need to write back , yet claim to not care what's on a forum. You care about what he wrote, and disagree. Quite funny really.

Well I guess you could take that view, if you have a low IQ and see everything at its most basic level. Kind of like a young child I guess.

I find the notion that this forum is somehow a single entity an odd one, especially as its full of discord.

The truth is somewhere between the extremes of opinion.

If SL had never arrived we'd be a top half League 1 club with modest debt and in the very same ground.

If you're arguing that now he's dug a massive hole we can't afford to lose him, well, that's a different question.

I'd prefer to look at the difference between the day he arrives and the day he leaves.  That's his legacy.

and thats it, if he leaves tomorrow calls in the debt the club will fold, however if he continues to finances continue to improve the off field side of the club and we get back to the top end of the championship at least with the club making money then he's improved it,

We are alot better with him then without him, without him there would be no acadmeny no training ground no referbished ashton gate

I would just like to convey, as a percentage, the certainty that you can make that statement with:

0%

That's the same degree of certainty that can be applied to every statement made as to whether we would be better of with or without SL.

If you qualified it by saying we are better off with SL than with the Venkeys,Tan or Risdale then the percentage changes dramatically,  and therein lies the nub of the problem as all SL's critics assume that a new owner would  be better than the current one.

If SL went everything depends on who replaced him and while we could be lucky in having a another billionaire fan of the club willing and able to lose a fortune on the club, the chances are that as a struggling league 1 outfit, we would have a wealthy, but nowhere near as wealthy, businessman, knowing just as much about running a football club as SL. With less wealth, the new owner would be able to risk less money, so would be more careful about how he spends it, would  appoint his/her own people in key positions, who could be just as good/bad or even worse than the present incumbents.

If the new owner had less wealth, then would he/she be prepared to fork out the money for a redeveloped AG ( forget AV as Lansdowns own the land so if they go I suspect a lucrative housing project is top of the list) and would he/she be prepared to fund the academy, bearing in mind the new owner might be more concerned about the return he/she is getting on their investment rather than subsidising a loss making business?

Many fans have demanded a new manager at regular intervals, as we have struggled over the last few seasons, and their wishes have been granted and we have seen each new manager fare worse than his predecessor. Our track record for changing people only for things to get worse is 100% successful since GJ, and I worry that we could achieve the same 100% success rate by changing the owner.

I'm not an SL arse/shoe licker but I think I am a pragmatist.

• Admin

I've just read an interesting interview with Brendan Rogers, during the interview he mentions Malky MacKay's problems with Vincent Tan at Cardiff, where BR says an interesting line that ties in with some of the comments made in this thread:

"My only conclusion when I look from the outside is you've got a business guy operating the club who obviously knows nothing about football.

"He's obviously been a very successful business man in his life, but football is like no other business."

But if SL is being let down by those below him, surely he needs to accept that his board room team needs to be improved and take responsibility for making those appointments? I didn't get the impression from his interview that he felt there was a problem.

What I found sad about Steve's interview was how out of touch he seems with fans' opinions. This is especially so when you look back at how united we were under GJ's tenure.

For example he couldn't understand that many fans weren't happy about SOD's dismissal - yet if he did read this forum he would understand why.

Pretty much rubbishing the 5 pillars as something every other club has when we've been told time and time again how important it is as City's strategy felt like adding insult to injury.

Surely there is a way that Steve could be more in touch with the fans and address their concerns directly, perhaps building some bridges in the process? I appreciate he's in Guernsey but there are such things as q and a's on Twitter, web chats etc surely?

Steve is outraged at the way that Jon has been criticised and as a Father I would find some if the abuse intolerable too. Equally though respect has to be earned and perhaps if Jon was seen to be working more closely with Steve and listening to and addressing fans concerns more, that respect would be more forthcoming.

Still, what do I know? I bought into the whole SOD and five pillars strategy ...

and thats it, if he leaves tomorrow calls in the debt the club will fold, however if he continues to finances continue to improve the off field side of the club and we get back to the top end of the championship at least with the club making money then he's improved it,

We are alot better with him then without him, without him there would be no acadmeny no training ground no referbished ashton gate

It's impossible to say that without him there would not be this or that because without him there would be a.n.other more or less rich or adept at running a football club .

Others manage with out "him" !

• Admin

It's impossible to say that without him there would not be this or that because without him there would be a.n.other more or less rich or adept at running a football club .

Others manage with out "him" !

As much as I personally don't want to see SL leave this club, it always amazes me how many people are convinced we won't survive without him.

91 other football league clubs seem to be surviving, and the majority of them are better placed in the league than us !

As much as I personally don't want to see SL leave this club, it always amazes me how many people are convinced we won't survive without him.

91 other football league clubs seem to be surviving, and the majority of them are better placed in the league than us !

Indeed, 91 other league clubs are surviving without Steve Lansdown and his money and only 24 of those football clubs are currently below us !!!!!!!

How can anyone knock SL is beyond me.  The guy got us 90 from Premier League football.  The simple fact is, their isn't a simple formula to football, that's it. It's not an easy game, and that's it. SL has done everything in his power to make this club a successful one.  He is going to build us a brand new stadium, but yet are fans still moan.  I really don't don't get it.  Why do our fans always need a scapegoat? Why do we always need someone to blame? Why? I'm sick of it. This man has done everything he can for this club, it's bloody pathetic. Yes, some things haven't worked out, but that's life, get over it.  It would certainly be doing more harm than good if SL were to walk, but us Bristol City Fans love a drama don't we.  Its like reading a episode of loose women on here.  

How about this, stop moaning, grow a pair and let SL crack on.  The guy should be praised for everything he's done.  

The ironic thing is, we constantly have a pop at everyone for not "doing their job", when us fans aren't even doing ours in ******* SUPPORTING. 

How can anyone knock SL is beyond me.  The guy got us 90 from Premier League football.  The simple fact is, their isn't a simple formula to football, that's it. It's not an easy game, and that's it. SL has done everything in his power to make this club a successful one.  He is going to build us a brand new stadium, but yet are fans still moan.  I really don't don't get it.  Why do our fans always need a scapegoat? Why do we always need someone to blame? Why? I'm sick of it. This man has done everything he can for this club, it's bloody pathetic. Yes, some things haven't worked out, but that's life, get over it.  It would certainly be doing more harm than good if SL were to walk, but us Bristol City Fans love a drama don't we.  Its like reading a episode of loose women on here.  

How about this, stop moaning, grow a pair and let SL crack on.  The guy should be praised for everything he's done.  

The ironic thing is, we constantly have a pop at everyone for not "doing their job", when us fans aren't even doing ours in ******* SUPPORTING. 

Tim, I obviously have the opposite opinion to you here, but don't want this to turn into an argument so gonna try something different and be polite! ;)

Firstly, is blindly supporting really supporting the club? What if SL isn't all good? What if this club no longer has its biggest asset under its control? Isn't blindly allowing that akin to what's happened at Cardiff to at least some degree?

secondly, I don't know that he has done everything in his power. Since he left the country and gave control of the club to hi unqualified son and some other god-awful appointments (with the benefit of hindsight, Guy Price, Kev Smith et al have all been dreadful) this club has plummeted on and off the field.

As I've said before though, I don't see anyone who wants him out. not anyone worth listening to anyway. I do see a lot of people unhappy with how badly the club is being run at the moment who want improvements to be made. Is that really an unfair desire? 

Indeed, 91 other league clubs are surviving without Steve Lansdown and his money and only 24 of those football clubs are currently below us !!!!!!!

The thing is, daft as it might sound,  how many of the other league clubs have an owner as wealthy as Steve Lansdown? Apart from the mega bucks owners at the top of the tree ( by and large) most league clubs are owned by wealthy, but not mega wealthy owners and I think I am right in saying that Steve is one of the wealthiest owners in the football league.

I suspect fans of all league clubs get frustrated if they do not feel they are progressing, challenging for promotion or are at the wrong end of the table but that frustration is tempered by the basic understanding of the limits to their ambition i.e. their financial clout. By comparison, I think that for a long time many City fans frustrations have been aggravated because of the belief that Steve's wealth should somehow mean almost guaranteed success.

The whole premier league circus and the way the game has been publicised and promoted over the last 10-15 years has created the impression that it is all about money. You only have to look at Chelsea and Man City, where mega wealthy owners have come in a and transformed a club into winners and I wonder  how many City fans have thought the same should have happened to us, because of the money Steve Lansdown had and has at his disposal?

Our recent spectacular plunge from championship contenders to league 1 relegation candidates has exacerbated those feelings of frustration, and they must have been further fuelled by Steve's announcement that the club had to become self sufficient financially, because of the impact of football's new financial rules ( some fans even interpreted this as proof that Steve has lost interest in the club!). 

I'm not suggesting fans are to blame for the club's situation, but I do think that for some time too many fans expectations have helped fuel the over hyped backlash against SL who, for the most part, has got into hot water as a consequence of mistakes made when trying to provide what fans wanted.  

But if SL is being let down by those below him, surely he needs to accept that his board room team needs to be improved and take responsibility for making those appointments? I didn't get the impression from his interview that he felt there was a problem.

What I found sad about Steve's interview was how out of touch he seems with fans' opinions. This is especially so when you look back at how united we were under GJ's tenure.

For example he couldn't understand that many fans weren't happy about SOD's dismissal - yet if he did read this forum he would understand why.

Well, he could hardly have been clearer why O'Driscoll had to go:

"Let's face it, his playing record was poor. Sean's time here was very poor. He was here for 10 months, we won very few games and got relegated rather tamely.

We haven't made an impact in L1 and haven't played very good football.

His departure was down to the fact he hasn't done a good job at this football club in terms of results, where we are in the league, and morale around the football club."

About as damning as you can be, no wonder if he can't understand why many fans are unhappy about SO'D's dismissal.

Poor results, poor football, embarrassingly tame relegation, terrible morale inside the club and in the stands, no real signs that things would improve to avoid another whimpering relegation, and positive proof he wasn't up to the fight last season.

Of course he had to go, and I hope, if SL does read this forum, he realises that many other fans back the decision to get rid of such a disastrously failing manager 100%.

Well, he could hardly have been clearer why O'Driscoll had to go:

"Let's face it, his playing record was poor. Sean's time here was very poor. He was here for 10 months, we won very few games and got relegated rather tamely.

We haven't made an impact in L1 and haven't played very good football.

His departure was down to the fact he hasn't done a good job at this football club in terms of results, where we are in the league, and morale around the football club."

About as damning as you can be, no wonder if he can't understand why many fans are unhappy about SO'D's dismissal.

Poor results, poor football, embarrassingly tame relegation, terrible morale inside the club and in the stands, no real signs that things would improve to avoid another whimpering relegation, and positive proof he wasn't up to the fight last season.

Of course he had to go, and I hope, if SL does read this forum, he realises that many other fans back the decision to get rid of such a disastrously failing manager 100%.

Whilst that may be true, the evidence is suggesting that they absolutely don't back him being sacked to be replaced by Cotterill.

!

"Fant," are you a Freudian, or a Feminist?

Freudians will point to the infantile need of millions of people for an omnipresent, God or father figure*; in football, it's a loaded sugar-daddy. Feminists, on the other hand (and I know this because Lady Q inadvertently invited a particularly bolshy one round for her coffee morning recently) will highlight the archaic patriarchal society with it's reliance on an all-powerful male at the top of everything, bodging things up. Again, a doshed-up bloke.

Myself and Des, in the 80s, however, were ahead of the game and we often consulted Dame Beryl Fudge (God bless her soul) on many things we didn't have a bloody clue about.

The problems are rooted in our infant development and our violent hatred and oppression of women. I really think we need a bird, a "doris," at the top, to sort this out. Our own Mrs T. Who have we got? Mrs D??

*For more info on the Freudian goings on at AG see a copy of one of your local football fanzines, on sale this Boxing Day. Or possibly, from a bloke at your work.

Archived