IGNORED

Sl On Radio Briz (Merged)

REDOXO

I wish people would stop attacking the best thing that has happened to Bristol City for years STEVE LANSDOWN,he has given us all his time and his money for years giving us promotion play-off final and many great memory's to look back on and in the future a new stadium so please back the guy don't knock him.

SL is leading us into the gutters. The new stadium is in fact a vastly, hideously overpriced refurb.

As for the good times those were delivered by a man who came in, saw the rotten culture at the club WHICH DEVELOPED UNDER SL'S HELM, stripped it back and brought in hard working professionals who performed 110% for the shirt - see Byfield. SL's wild pursuit of the prem which was, albeit a one season wonder, highly unattainable raised expectations to what would only be a disastrous level.

Since then he has pulled the plug and is signing off cheques and taking no intervention at a point when what this club needs most is intervention. Someone to come in at board level and say 'what the effing hell have you cretins been playing at?'.

SL is no hero. He wanted his name to go down in history. He's realised the task in hand here after trying to make the club run before it could walk and in turn turning it into a crawling disaster and set his sights on the rugby club - an easier win.

I predict in years to come we will see the ground which rightfully belongs to our club belonging to the Rugby club once their fans continue to believe in his messiah status - maybe when they are premier league and the darling of the region and we are league two or even worse which is where we are currently heading.

I tell you what, the ground ownership issue is becoming more worrying as time goes on.

It certainly is. I'd say it is only a matter of time before it falls into the ownership of another sporting entity, hence why I hold the Lansdown's in such low regard and wish there was an alternative. Unfortunately the dirt he has created means that the alternative really isn't there. This is why I believe SL is no hero but indeed one of the worst things to happen to the club. Stuff the playoff final and all the good times - I'd trade the lot to own our own ground!

They need to stop plugging this 5 pillars thing. It's an embarrassment, claiming to have a unique strategy whereas in reality it's identical to every other professional club in the world.

Much of it just increases the chances of winning Bull**** Bingo on rainy afternoons at AG.

It certainly is. I'd say it is only a matter of time before it falls into the ownership of another sporting entity, hence why I hold the Lansdown's in such low regard and wish there was an alternative. Unfortunately the dirt he has created means that the alternative really isn't there. This is why I believe SL is no hero but indeed one of the worst things to happen to the club. Stuff the playoff final and all the good times - I'd trade the lot to own our own ground!

If he chooses to leave the best return will be to sell AG to someone independently of the club.

If he doesn't want to be vilified for eternity then when he sells up the ground has to be sold with the club.

My best guess is the debt will be written off, he'll be shot of BCFC and he'll keep the stadium. The Rugby club will be his toy then.

Here is my 5p worth. I have been loyally behind SL since the beginning and up until he left the country as an exile especially after his reasons for going were made known. I said then it was a mistake not for the tax saving benefits but for the cost it would have on the club; I had no idea it would be this bad mind. Any savings he may have made in tax have been royally blown away by our demise since his departure.

And when, recently, I frivolously called for the board to resign it was after SO'D was sacked and then replaced by a wholly underwhelming replacement. Not, in itself, because the former was doing badly or because the latter was not, personally, to my taste. No, I asked for that because they have started to lie to us and to duck away from us and treat us like we are all a bit thick. I suppose they can do what they jolly well like as they are in control but woe behold those you treat fans with on-going disdain and run a club so badly.

I hope Steve sticks around but clearly something needs to change pretty darn fast in the boardroom. I doubt it will happen but Steve, himself, announcing he is coming back to do crisis management would be a very good way of beginning the work to get the fans back on side. Right now i get the feeling my sentiments are fairly widespread.

When it comes to JL, let's drop the 'pillock' and 'idiot' stuff. Incompetent is the word.

It's not his fault that he's incompetent; he's trying to better himself, like we all do. I respect him for working way out of his comfort zone. But it's the people who place him there and fail to recognize that he's incompetent. JL is obviously out of his depth, and in any other company would've been given the boot months ago. He just wouldn't be there.

Steve needs to take a long hard look at himself. He knows what must be done, stop faffing.

This club does not have the time and patience to ease him down gently.

We are not interested in protecting your sons dignity, self confidence or cv. There are thousands of people suffering due to your poor decision s and nepotism. Sort it steve. NOW.

Here is my 5p worth. I have been loyally behind SL since the beginning and up until he left the country as an exile especially after his reasons for going were made known. I said then it was a mistake not for the tax saving benefits but for the cost it would have on the club; I had no idea it would be this bad mind. Any savings he may have made in tax have been royally blown away by our demise since his departure.

And when, recently, I frivolously called for the board to resign it was after SO'D was sacked and then replaced by a wholly underwhelming replacement. Not, in itself, because the former was doing badly or because the latter was not, personally, to my taste. No, I asked for that because they have started to lie to us and to duck away from us and treat us like we are all a bit thick. I suppose they can do what they jolly well like as they are in control but woe behold those you treat fans with on-going disdain and run a club so badly.

I hope Steve sticks around but clearly something needs to change pretty darn fast in the boardroom. I doubt it will happen but Steve, himself, announcing he is coming back to do crisis management would be a very good way of beginning the work to get the fans back on side. Right now i get the feeling my sentiments are fairly widespread.

i too think it might help if he could find time to get back in the office for a bit,maybe call in the slackers for bollockings when needed etc,give the whole outfit someone to look out for and respect for their leadership.

however,he could already be doing that for all i know but if that was the case,we really are in trouble

A superb post NickJ. However, I'd love for City to be more like Chelsea or Manchester City but that's dream land. We're the poor bottom of the third tier Ciderellas of English football with a $billionaire owner that knows jack shit about how to make this club successful on the pitch. We were doing far better with Scott Davidson at the helm.

How about buying some decent players for a change!

Until we get a manager who knows what they are doing with this we will always struggle.

I tell you what, the ground ownership issue is becoming more worrying as time goes on.

This is it, in a sentence. SL can chuck his own money at us buying crap players and paying off managers if he wants. But long term the ground is a huge worry.

There's another thread running about 1982: one thing I remember clearly about 82 was the board that rescued us being absolutely adamant that they could and would only do this if ownership of the ground was part of the deal and part of the plan. They were clear that the football club could only be rescued and have along term future if it owned its own ground. And I have to say that! for all lansdown's success in the financial world, Des Williams had a far better understanding of how to run a football club.

The other thing that keeps coming back to me is what happened to the Gas and Eastville. Ground owned by a separate entity, albeit with a common owner. Two sports. Owner gets fed up with the stick he gets because the football club is going nowhere. Falls out of love with the football club. Sells ground. And the Gas are still paying the price for that.

The other thing that keeps coming back to me is what happened to the Gas and Eastville. Ground owned by a separate entity, albeit with a common owner. Two sports. Owner gets fed up with the stick he gets because the football club is going nowhere. Falls out of love with the football club. Sells ground. And the Gas are still paying the price for that.

Steve Lansdown was a Tote Ender so that's part of his memory and background as a Gashead.

Yes it was me.

I questioned Steve about it immediately after it was announced at an AGM. There was no prior notice about it, no other shareholders were consulted, and it was announced at the AGM as though it was just an administrative change. The impression I formed was a hope that it would go through under the radar.

I was given an explanation by Steve that made no sense whatsoever, and a statement that Ashton Gate Ltd could be partly sold to external investors to raise funds which would have been madness - except that since then with everything that has happened with Ashton Vale I have realised that those "external" investors may have been a bit closer to home than was indicated.

I guess it was Steve's misfortune that as an accountant I knew the explanation for doing it did not stack up and any proposal to sell our ground or even a part of it was ridiculous, and so I challenged further.

At the risk of sounding like I might be defending the majority shareholder and ex-chairman I think I should clarify the stadium ownership issue.

The Company formed in 1982 (BCFC 1982 Ltd.) was renamed Bristol City Holdings Ltd at the same time as two wholly owned subsidiaries were created - one of which operates the football club and the other the stadium. Consequently the stadium remains 100% owned by Bristol City Holdings Ltd as we speak.

The conspicuous danger is that whilst the Company remains entirely dependent on (and in substantial debt to) the majority shareholder without any realistic prospect of any alternative it can be forced at any time to hand ownership of the stadium (and any other assets) to SL in part payment of the debt - even without being forced into administration.

Not unlike Cardiff City and Hull City the soul of Bristol City and what little influence and stake supporters and minority shareholders had in its future has passed lock, stock and barrel to an ego-driven individual. A point he once again made abundantly clear in his crass responses to reasonable questions on Radio Bristol yesterday. The difference of course is that both Cardiff and Hull have gained something in return for the change of control - we patently have not.

The icing on the cake for me is reading on this forum that some continue to heap praise on Steve Lansdown (although it is not clear for what) and that his frankly childish reaction to the criticism he and his Board have received is met by some with a concern that he may at some point decide to take his money elsewhere. Is it really the case that he may be driven away by rational criticism of the continuing abject failure of the business he owns/controls? If it is then this merely serves to reinforce the most cynical view of his motivation for spending (and wasting) the cash that he has.

If the Board feels unable to face the music (non-participation in a press conference because the press are critical, supporters try to hold the Board to account suggests that the Board has been to open with them - just two of the highlights from the interview) then the Board should be subject to a vote of no confidence. Of course this cannot whilst the Board is made up of the majority shareholder's friends and family and when SL has seen to it that the AGM is a thing of the past.

It is well established that good corporate governance requires a clear division between ownership and management - the performance of Bristol City continues to provide strong evidence of this. 

You are quite right Timbo7 although Steve would no doubt be indignant as to any suggestion that he would indeed take the ground as part payment for the debt. Greater transparency and unequivocal statements, possibly even enshrined in an agreement of some sort would help.

Regarding the ownership of Ashton Gate, in fact Bristol City Holdings was always the proud owner, not the subsidiaries, until it was hived off in 2005 to the newly incorporated Ashton Gate Ltd.

Cannot find the link to that interview anywhere.. anybody have it please??

Interesting quote from SL in Oct 2010 shortly after the Copout debacle..

6 October 2010

Bristol City chairman Steve Lansdown tells BBC Radio 5 Live his priority is safeguarding the club and maintaining its credibility.

He may still be doing the former but the latter has since been shot to pieces; to think he placed so much in the hands of his fellow directors and his son is hard to comprehend.

to think he placed so much in the hands of his fellow directors and his son is hard to comprehend.

If this is intended to suggest that all was fine until SL departed for the Channel Islands then I must disagree

The financial predicament was already inevitable, as was the eventual need to take steps to begin to reverse it. A collection of the best company directors in the World plus the appointment of a genius to manage/coach the team would not have been enough to preserve Championship status whilst knocking 60%+ of the wage bill.

Could SL really have done better?

Is the current Board really working without input from SL?

That he chose yesterday not only to defend the Board (which he was obliged to do) but also to claim the club is well run (but for the players and head coach) is disturbing. It seems that not only can he not see a solution but he does not yet even see a problem! Given recent events one wonders if he ever will

it's a matter of record that SL approached the rover's board first and they turned him down.

Again the comparison between rovers, Eastville and the dog company joint ownership are striking.

it's worse in my view for city because SL wants to control everything and when he realises that he can't I think he will throw his toys out the pram and walk away. The BBC RB interview shows the cracks are their.

The second part is he is a capitalist and therefore will seize assets when the opportunity occurs. AG is now gone forever as Eastville went for Rovers in the 50's

as long as he is interested or needs a play thing for junior City will be fine. When this comes to an end City will follow a similar path to Rovers.

it's a matter of record that SL approached the rover's board first and they turned him down.

Again the comparison between rovers, Eastville and the dog company joint ownership are striking.

it's worse in my view for city because SL wants to control everything and when he realises that he can't I think he will throw his toys out the pram and walk away. The BBC RB interview shows the cracks are their.

The second part is he is a capitalist and therefore will seize assets when the opportunity occurs. AG is now gone forever as Eastville went for Rovers in the 50's

as long as he is interested or needs a play thing for junior City will be fine. When this comes to an end City will follow a similar path to Rovers.

Exactly so, and it's fairly clear that were the Lansdowns to get serious grief from supporters they would be off. The end game is nigh, IMO, and the question in my mind is what will follow. FC Bristol City playing at the Hand stadium anyone?

With respect to Steve, it's all very well asking for people to raise concerns in person but when emails, letters etc are sent they are invariably ignored. DL will reply of course, a decent bloke and an honest person too, but what chance of a board member taking the time to respond to anything?

So the invitation to discuss it is, unfortunately, utter bollocks.

I don't want the board out or SL to leave, I want them all to do better by my club. Currently they are not and the petulance coming from the board room is cringeworthy.

I'm glad SL was at AG yesterday. I hope he noticed that the attendance was shocking, and that those who remained loyal and went absolutely hated what they were subjected to. I can have no doubts that the vast majority inside the stadium who made such discontenting noise were not behind the appointment of SC (ie. the way he was appointed) or the decision makers at BCFC.

I desperately want Steve to realise he's ****** up majorly, that his board is not fit for purpose and he desperately needs help.

My 5 penneth is this, SL IMO is talking like a politician defending their banker mates around about 2007/2008, 'it's not our fault gov', 'the public have to take some responsibility' blah, blah, blah.

Well done SL you've just realised football is an expensive hobby, but you did the hiring and firing of the people, who you then gave loadsamoney to, to waste on ridiculously high fees and even more ridiculously high wages and even more ridiculously long contracts to players who in the main, have had to be paid off by the club and then take a huge pay cut to actually get a game elsewhere, that should explain what has gone wrong at our club.

What a sorry state of affairs this has become.

I think all of us are simply fed up with the massive void between the club and supporters, which Steve Lansdown has unfortunately created.

All we've ever wanted is for him to bring in the best people behind the scenes, which he clearly hasn't, he simply wouldn't employ his lad, in such a lofty role at his other company.

As Jordan has stated, letters and e.mails have simply been ignored, when sent to raise concerns, showing a complete lack of respect to it's paying customers.

I remember back in Terry Cooper's day, he would actually take the time to personally respond to any letters sent to him, imagine that today?

Seems no one at the club is responsible for anything, and hide away, to it's shame.

The very heart of this once thriving club has been ripped out, with good people who cared deeply for it, replaced by unaccountable and incompetent  individuals.

The thing is we all want our club back, and something to be proud of, instead of the laughing stock it has become, and only one man can do anything about it, so what's stopping him ?  

It really does make you wonder if something sinister is afoot? 

What a sorry state of affairs this has become.

I think all of us are simply fed up with the massive void between the club and supporters, which Steve Lansdown has unfortunately created.

All we've ever wanted is for him to bring in the best people behind the scenes, which he clearly hasn't, he simply wouldn't employ his lad, in such a lofty role at his other company.

As Jordan has stated, letters and e.mails have simply been ignored, when sent to raise concerns, showing a complete lack of respect to it's paying customers.

I remember back in Terry Cooper's day, he would actually take the time to personally respond to any letters sent to him, imagine that today?

Seems no one at the club is responsible for anything, and hide away, to it's shame.

The very heart of this once thriving club has been ripped out, with good people who cared deeply for it, replaced by unaccountable and incompetent individuals.

The thing is we all want our club back, and something to be proud of, instead of the laughing stock it has become, and only one man can do anything about it, so what's stopping him ?

It really does make you wonder if something sinister is afoot?

Sadly sums the bloke up. I've been banging for years and his public persona seems to be slipping and the fans are starting to see through him now. Unfortunately too late to do much. He has sewn this club exactly how he wants it. To such an extent you get people on here saying "well you name someone who will take us over" well we can't because Steve walks on water Lansdown has sewn the club up in such a way, the only people that could afford to buy him out would be rich foriegners.

Hey ho. I guess we have to live with this rabble at the helm.

Archived