IGNORED

Sl On Radio Briz (Merged)

REDOXO

I remember back in Terry Cooper's day, he would actually take the time to personally respond to any letters sent to him, imagine that today?

Just wanted to agree re Terry Cooper. He use to send me hand written replies to my letters. That is just one of the reasons Terry to me is right up their  as one of our top managers.

I have over the past 18 months sent 3 letters to various members of the club. With not one reply, says it all doesn't it.

What did he say?

Fighting talk from SL and not the usual rallying call to fans

Disparity between the phrases "low morale", "back on feet" with "a successful football club". Not many fans identify with that success currently

Need to look at why fans are disconnected and having a pop

Personal abuse unnecessary, can empathise as it happened in part when the Supporters Trust was formed

Anonymity on the internet affords people their say these days, which traditionally was always vented from the terraces

Board missed an opportunity to talk to fans and relay key messages at the SC press conference

It took for SL to clarify reasons for no show 2 weeks later

Essentially, that was it

What did he say?

He wasn't given a lot of time to talk but came across very well. I haven't listened to SL's interview but I get the impression from what Stuart just said that SL had been over-tetchy and needs to accept that when a football club is in decline, its fans are going to let off steam on the Internet.

Kind of dodged the question about whether SC will turn things around by saying that fans should get behind him.

Just wanted to agree re Terry Cooper. He use to send me hand written replies to my letters. That is just one of the reasons Terry to me is right up their  as one of our top managers.

I have over the past 18 months sent 3 letters to various members of the club. With not one reply, says it all doesn't it.

It was exactly the same back in the now 'lofty' days of Colin Sexstone.. I wrote two letters to him and no reply. The club has disconnected... never thought i would say that but it has. If we end up mid table and look like contenders next season we may put all of this behind us.. we can only prey that happens now.

This is definitely the most intelligent, reasonable thread I've read on this forum and isn't it interesting that everyone is unanimous?

for me the heart of the problem is that we don't really have a chairman. we have a major shareholder and his son who run things between them and Keith Dawe , acting as a proxy for SL who can't take the role because of his tax status. It's a sham - a trick to dodge the law and it also sidesteps the challenge that a genuine, fully functioning chairman should provide

It is the Chair's job to challenge and to exert authority over the executives and yet in our case he is a puppet. As it is, the Lansdown's can do what the heck they want with the club and, financial, capitalist clever clogs they are, they still own the only asset, the property that once belonged to the club and can sell it off to whomsoever they want if and when they get bored.

tragic for the fans.

Just looking at the sacking of Villas-Boas and note the meeting and statement was with Daniel Levy, Chairman.

Dave Jones - Chairman of Sheff Weds dealt with it.

In fact every club it's the chairman at the helm giving a feel I guess there is leadership and accountability.

Which leads me to us--

I've never seen a reason or answer why all ours is through the vice chairman and Keith Dawe never seems anywhere??

Is this potentially part of the problem?

Look at Cotterill's appointment and o'driscolls removal -- any comment at all from our chairman?

Christ, he's coming across badly at the moment.

I've spent years defending him and I've turned. FFS I hate feeling so dejected about this club already.

He just will not accept any responsibility for the state we are in. Although in some respects he is right ... It isn't the "Board's" fault because we don't really have a board. We have his stooge Keith Dawe and his son and a couple of other his cronies. There is nobody on the Borad who can exert any authority so therefore they can hardly accept any responsibility. It's all down to him.

He says that the press "pulled the board apart unceremoniously" after they sacked SOD and that's why they took the "deliberate decision" to stay away from the SC press conference.   He then goes on to say they have always made themselves available to the press and always will.    

Which press pulled the board apart?  The BEP?   Really?  Come on!   If that is true it's rather pathetic.   

What is clear form the interview is that he spends a lot of time reading stuff on the internet and that he'd prefer people not to post faceless comments but to "come in and have a cup of coffee".     Again, really?   It's BS.

He also seems very proud of the massive footballing experience there is on the board and specifies that KD and he have been around since 1996 accumulating much footballing experience.    But neither of them are learning from the experience and they are making the same mistakes time and time again.

And as for the Chairman of a club not needing to be a public figure, he completely misses the point.   Every board needs members who offer a different perspective and can provide genuine challenge to the status quo.    KD may work very hard "behind the scenes" but that is exactly NOT what a Chairman needs to be doing.

Very depressing listening - and sad too because the guy obviously cares passionately.    He really really really needs to get some people on that board who can provide the leadership we so desperately lack.

Maybe they didn't have time to reply, revolving Door and all that..

Oh for a Terry Cooper now!

So disappointing to hear such a negative response regarding potentially having supporter representation on the board. It's clearly never going to happen under SL.

Crumbs of comfort regarding the academy, new training facilities and the AG redevelopment (which could be a catalyst) but the rest of it fills me with no confidence.

No love lost between the Lansdowns and SOD, neither Jon or Steve have had a good word to say about him since he left. They've clearly invested a lot of faith in Cotterill and talked him up...if this one fails, things are going to get ugly.

He says that the press "pulled the board apart unceremoniously" after they sacked SOD and that's why they took the "deliberate decision" to stay away from the SC press conference. He then goes on to say they have always made themselves available to the press and always will.

Which press pulled the board apart? The BEP? Really? Come on! If that is true it's rather pathetic.

What is clear form the interview is that he spends a lot of time reading stuff on the internet and that he'd prefer people not to post faceless comments but to "come in and have a cup of coffee". Again, really? It's BS.

He also seems very proud of the massive footballing experience there is on the board and specifies that KD and he have been around since 1996 accumulating much footballing experience. But neither of them are learning from the experience and they are making the same mistakes time and time again.

And as for the Chairman of a club not needing to be a public figure, he completely misses the point. Every board needs members who offer a different perspective and can provide genuine challenge to the status quo. KD may work very hard "behind the scenes" but that is exactly NOT what a Chairman needs to be doing.

Very depressing listening - and sad too because the guy obviously cares passionately. He really really really needs to get some people on that board who can provide the leadership we so desperately lack.

God help the poor man if we ever got to the prem. The poor little lambs, a back water paper had a go at the board! Laughable really. Maybe ot is best we stay a back water club if the owner managing director and chairman feel the Bristol Post is too hot to handle.

Truly laughable

Can anyone confirm if they have ever received a response to any letter from a board member during SLs tenure?

Of not, this facade of approachability is nonsense.

Never. Sent several. So I wouldn't hold out much hope for those wanting a coffee. That is far more expensive than a stamp.

I think fans should not have any say in the running of a football club. And if this forum is anything to go by, if I was chairman then I wouldn't bother replying to any of you either!

You're not on the board are you, by any chance?  You've certainly got the right attitude.

Archived