IGNORED

Support For The Lansdowns

TV Tom

Pile o' shite,pile o'shite ..

Holy crap,

Bottom tonight ...

SOD's young players so tender and mild,

City is run by Steven L's child

Deep in heavenly shi ite ,again deep in heavenly shite.

Just for balance :whistle:  one for all the firm followers of the SODite way:

God rest ye, lairy mentalmen, let nothing you dismay/

For Sean O'Driz, your saviour, won't be here on Christmas Day/

His voice was quiet/

His tactics shoite/

We barely won a game!

Glad tidings of comfort and joy..........

How do assess that the independent fan represents what other fans want? You can't unfortunately, you need to look at the demograph on OTIB to realise we all have different views.

I also love the irony of the board who supposedly doesn't understand football, has to then appoint someone who does understand football !!

The population of UK has a demographic of many different views and what happens is a party is elected to govern and from that party a leader is elected and that person is effectively given a mandate to execute policy in accordance with what his voters want. Not perfect but that is how many many systems operate. A fan with inside knowledge of what is going on would be beneficial to everyone and would act as a check to some of the barmy things which have happened in recent seasons leading to the disconnect between club and fans.

As for a football man well I would think a good start would be to appoint somebody who has been directly involved in the game in a playing or managerial capacity. Not a difficult concept.

The population of UK has a demographic of many different views and what happens is a party is elected to govern and from that party a leader is elected and that person is effectively given a mandate to execute policy in accordance with what his voters want. Not perfect but that is how many many systems operate. A fan with inside knowledge of what is going on would be beneficial to everyone and would act as a check to some of the barmy things which have happened in recent seasons leading to the disconnect between club and fans.

As for a football man well I would think a good start would be to appoint somebody whto has been directly involved in the game in a playing or managerial capacity. Not a difficult concept.

Can we keep on topic please...

Away at Queens Park Rangers ...

As for a football man well I would think a good start would be to appoint somebody who has been directly involved in the game in a playing or managerial capacity. Not a difficult concept.

Indeed, Manchester United appointed their former player Bobby Charlton as a director. From wikipedia: "In 1984, he was invited to become member of the board of directors at Manchester United, partly because of his football knowledge and partly because it was felt that the club needed a "name" on the board after the resignation of Sir Matt Busby. He remains a director of Manchester United as of 2013 and his continued presence was a factor in placating many fans opposed to the club's takeover by Malcolm Glazer".

Indeed, Manchester United appointed their former player Bobby Charlton as a director. From wikipedia: "In 1984, he was invited to become member of the board of directors at Manchester United, partly because of his football knowledge and partly because it was felt that the club needed a "name" on the board after the resignation of Sir Matt Busby. He remains a director of Manchester United as of 2013 and his continued presence was a factor in placating many fans opposed to the club's takeover by Malcolm Glazer".

Would love Joe Jordan on the board !

I wouldn't want the Lansdown's to leave the club. I'm very appreciative of the fact that Steve has bankrolled the club for so long and it's great that we have genuine fans owning the club. When you see what's happened at clubs like Cardiff/Coventry/Portsmouth etc, you can only be thankful that our benefactor has the best interests of the club at heart.

I agree with the OP that all of the appointments in recent years have looked good on paper and only with the benefit of hindsight can people criticise the board for them. Personally, however, I strongly disagreed with the sacking of O'Driscoll, which was made worse by replacing him with Cotterill. It's the first time I've been angry with the board for their decision-making (I feel they've been fairly level headed in the past), the fact that the decision completely contradicted everything JL had previously said about transition, their support for Sean, and how it was a long-term project. To replace him with a manager who I think is far worse (I'd love to be proven wrong) just made the whole saga a bit of a farce and reflected upon the board badly in my eyes.

Having said that I'm critical of that decision, equally, I strongly disagree with anyone who think the Lansdown's leaving would benefit the club at all,.If anything we miss SL's presence badly. The club has gone even more downhill since he left his position as Chairman.

I've voiced my discontent with the board recently but I was happy with the appointments of Coppell, Del, SOD and even Keith, yet none of those went to plan. Hopefully the Cotterill appointment has the opposite effect and the board prove me and many other fans wrong. If it does go pear-shaped however, the board should accept responsibility for our relegation as I strongly believe we'd have stayed up under SOD. Whereas now I'm more convinced we're going down than at any other point. That's not to mean I'd want the board out/Lansdown's to leave if we do go down, that would only damage the club even more, but the board must accept their decision-making led to whatever happens and not come up with a very defensive outlook in a similar fashion to SL's on the radio last week - the first time I've ever been disappointed by an interview with Steve.

....or alternatively, someone could buy a majority shareholding and not be subject to elections which only generally give a marginal majority?!

How do assess that the independent fan represents what other fans want? You can't unfortunately, you need to look at the demograph on OTIB to realise we all have different views.

I also love the irony of the board who supposedly doesn't understand football, has to then appoint someone who does understand football !!

No problem beaverface.

The board would simply appoint a consultant with football expertise to advise them as to the right football person to appoint to the board.

The only problem is that without football knowledge, how would the board know which is the right/best  consultant with football expertise to act for the club?

I know, the board could appoint a consultant with expertise in appointing consultants with football expertise to football club boards,

The only problem is..............................................................  :)

Would love Joe Jordan on the board !

The appointment of Joe Jordan to the BCFC board of directors would make perfect sense. Ex City player and manager, ex Man U, ex Leeds (when they were a top club), ex Scottish international, knows Italian football. What better credentials could you ask for ????!!!!!

What baffles me is that the board replaced SOD with someone with a totally different football philosophy. Not necessarily worse, but utterly incompatible with what the players had been learning for the last six months.

If that was because he was an acquaintance of one of the directors, it's a disgrace.

I agree with you and although I didnt want cotts as manager I now feel sorry for the guy.the board distanced themselves from him at the press conference but he's under pressure immediately to get results when altering the teams approach to playing the game is likely to take a bit of time, which frankly we havent got!

SOD's favourite 'silent byte'.

Needs a bit more work there, Es. How about:

"Silent SOD, Boring SOD/

Baldock up front, on his todd/

Round yon JETster defenders go wild/

But our midfield's so meek and so mild/

Sheeet we're in 24th pla-ace! Sheet we're in 24th place."

I agree with you and although I didnt want cotts as manager I now feel sorry for the guy.the board distanced themselves from him at the press conference but he's under pressure immediately to get results when altering the teams approach to playing the game is likely to take a bit of time, which frankly we havent got!

The job at City is now a poison chalice. SOD had to make do with quite a few crap players with no decent calibre players coming in from the academy, any decent players left for teams in the Championship (Adomah) and Premiership (Bolasie), and he went out and bought crap to replace the decent departed players (all that the club could afford apparently). Massive pressure now on Steve Cotterill to turn players from a Div 2 standard squad into a team that can get the points to avoid relegation. The board of directors will sit back and talk crap about their beloved 5 pillars austerity package.

For what my opinion is worth...

I understand people's concerns about current members of the board and their competence, particularly JL. However, I don't necessarily think they have done anything particularly wrong.

I don't get the SL criticism. Bar the Tinnion and Millen appointments I'd say the general atmosphere on this forum regarding his appointments have been positive. I'm talking about Johnson, Coppell, Mcinnes, S'OD. If we, as fans, support those appointments at the time then we don't really have a leg to stand on when it all goes wrong. It's not SL's fault they haven't worked out.

Now the sacking of SOD and appointment of SC is questionable in my mind although SL does have a point when he talks about SODs record. Transition or not his record has been dire, especially considering we're now in a league lower with one of the bigger budgets.

It's been a terrible few years to be a bristol city fan but I still think we're very fortunate to have a majority shareholder like SL.

No proper City supporter can be anything other than grateful for the money SL has put into the club - totally unprecedented.

It's pretty obvious money, in this case, has not bought success.

The league tables simply do not deceive and you assess where we were when SL took over, and where we are now: we are in a worse position, and at very serious risk of being in division 4 of the football league next season.

10/10 for SL for putting money in.

2/10 for stewardship of the club.

In terms of the board, given the money that has gone through the club, they could not realistically have done much worse - could they?

Perhaps the worst thing is the basic quality of football that has been served up for the last 5 years at the Gate - almost as if they are trying to drive the fans away?

BCFC will surely rise up again - with or without SL, as it is the club and the fans that are most important, not just the size of the owners wallet. I think this has been lost sight of for the last decade.

TFR

Archived