IGNORED

New Scanners

G Block

Anyone have any problems with the new ticket scanners today?

Seemed to work well in the Dolman when we went in.

Neither of our season tickets scanned and I had to go and get paper tickets. It is a good thing that I was good and early or it would have been a real pain. BCFC technology seems to hate me - and the feeling is mutual!!

what is the point on having ticket scanners if you still have a person sitting behind it ? i thought they were to save money ? if not why have them ?

The person behind waits for the light then releases the lock on the turnstile, We could get rid of them but you'll have a few people unhappy come 15:00

As you need to take your card out of its plastic wallet to go through the fixed scanners, I noticed a long wait as people had to stop, take it out, then go through. Just pop the card in with your cards in your wallet. Debit card, season ticket and driving licence. Quick and easy for me (i've had a fixed scanner since bradford on the williams).

As you need to take your card out of its plastic wallet to go through the fixed scanners, I noticed a long wait as people had to stop, take it out, then go through. Just pop the card in with your cards in your wallet. Debit card, season ticket and driving licence. Quick and easy for me (i've had a fixed scanner since bradford on the williams).

Mine worked in the wallet.

Yes but the point the poster makes is that no money is saved. You might as well just have a person and no machine.

The problem with that is, and you may not believe this, is the sheer number of people trying to put their season tickets into the slot, with the barcode facing downwards, or the ticket in sideways. They then stand there dumbly waiting for something to happen. It would cause chaos if there was no one there to help them.

There are two different types of fixed scanners now. The ones that have been in place all season are still there, but as from Saturday we now have new ones in all the turnstiles that previously had hand held scanners. The season tickets have to go in the slot (although on the new ones it is more of a large gap) with the barcode facing upwards. It CAN be left in the wallet, but the wallet must be open with the barcode on show. I believe that on the older scanners the card must be out of the wallet. Match day tickets are more straight forward, although again bar code up.

The main problem we had on Saturday was that, on occasions, when the ticket was entered into the hole, nothing happened at all, and the answer was to wave the ticket around a little until the machine read the barcode. After a couple of games, these problems will be resolved as supporters get used to the scanners, but believe me, they work a damn site better than the hand held scanners we have had all season on many turnstiles.

Having queued for 15 minutes and it becoming obvious that many would miss kick-off, the security fellow started visually inspecting tickets and letting people in through the exit (EE end of Dolman). I can only assume he had a scanner embedded in his eye.

Honestly, the argument that it is the way people are entering their ST into the scanner IS so pathetic it's laughable.

The problem with that is, and you may not believe this, is the sheer number of people trying to put their season tickets into the slot, with the barcode facing downwards, or the ticket in sideways. They then stand there dumbly waiting for something to happen. It would cause chaos if there was no one there to help them.

There are two different types of fixed scanners now. The ones that have been in place all season are still there, but as from Saturday we now have new ones in all the turnstiles that previously had hand held scanners. The season tickets have to go in the slot (although on the new ones it is more of a large gap) with the barcode facing upwards. It CAN be left in the wallet, but the wallet must be open with the barcode on show. I believe that on the older scanners the card must be out of the wallet. Match day tickets are more straight forward, although again bar code up.

The main problem we had on Saturday was that, on occasions, when the ticket was entered into the hole, nothing happened at all, and the answer was to wave the ticket around a little until the machine read the barcode. After a couple of games, these problems will be resolved as supporters get used to the scanners, but believe me, they work a damn site better than the hand held scanners we have had all season on many turnstiles.

so back to my earlier post, why have them at all ? we always had a person on the turnstile, now we have scanners that cost money and a person on the turnstile, whats the point in the added expense of the scanners ? the person behind the turnstile seemed to work ok for over a hundred years,  i find it a strange waste of money.

so back to my earlier post, why have them at all ? we always had a person on the turnstile, now we have scanners that cost money and a person on the turnstile, whats the point in the added expense of the scanners ? the person behind the turnstile seemed to work ok for over a hundred years,  i find it a strange waste of money.

I can totally see your point. However, automatic ticket scanning is obviously the way forward, both as a cost cutting excercise (i.e less staff needed), and also to cut down on the possibility of persons gaining entry without a valid ticket through turnstile operator error etc. Almost all of the new or updated stadia have ticket scanners on the turnstiles, but very few are totally automatic. Sheffield United is the only one that comes to mind, although the new Wembley does as well, but has a line of stewards inside each bank of turnstiles to stop fraudulent entries.

Now, you have to remember that up until recently, Ashton Gate was actually going to be pulled down and replaced with Ashton Vale, and now it seems that Ashton Gate is going to be totally redeveloped, and it is my understanding that the system will go fully automatic as and when each stand is redeveloped. What we have at the moment is a kind of half way system, as the cost of going fully automatic at the moment would be unsustainable.

I can totally see your point. However, automatic ticket scanning is obviously the way forward, both as a cost cutting excercise (i.e less staff needed), and also to cut down on the possibility of persons gaining entry without a valid ticket through turnstile operator error etc. Almost all of the new or updated stadia have ticket scanners on the turnstiles, but very few are totally automatic. Sheffield United is the only one that comes to mind, although the new Wembley does as well, but has a line of stewards inside each bank of turnstiles to stop fraudulent entries.

Now, you have to remember that up until recently, Ashton Gate was actually going to be pulled down and replaced with Ashton Vale, and now it seems that Ashton Gate is going to be totally redeveloped, and it is my understanding that the system will go fully automatic as and when each stand is redeveloped. What we have at the moment is a kind of half way system, as the cost of going fully automatic at the moment would be unsustainable.

I believe it was a totally automatic system at MK Dons earlier this season.

Quite a queue entering the East End when I went in, as people struggled with their tickets. Mine was rejected as having been 'already used' but I was waved through anyway as i was told 'we're having some problems today'.  I took a friend for his first visit on the s/t 'one free friend' scheme, what with this, being slightly underwhelmed at the wonders of the 'Natch Bar' and being spoken to like something found on the bottom of a shoe by the doorman at the Dolman Bar, he laughingly described at as being 'like a badly run corner shop'. He enjoyed the game though! 

I believe it was a totally automatic system at MK Dons earlier this season.

Quite a queue entering the East End when I went in, as people struggled with their tickets. Mine was rejected as having been 'already used' but I was waved through anyway as i was told 'we're having some problems today'. I took a friend for his first visit on the s/t 'one free friend' scheme, what with this, being slightly underwhelmed at the wonders of the 'Natch Bar' and being spoken to like something found on the bottom of a shoe by the doorman at the Dolman Bar, he laughingly described at as being 'like a badly run corner shop'. He enjoyed the game though!

Forward that to Dave L - it perfectly gives the flavour of the AG "experience".

All of this is a massive step back from the RFID technology we were using last year where you didn't need to take it out of the your wallet and it didn't matter which way you put it in. Does anyone know why it was downgraded to 1980s barcode tech?

I always enter the Dolman via the turnstiles on the corner of the East End/Dolman and never had a problem!! 

Since the start of the season they have used hand scanners until Boxing Day when the new fixed scanner was used. Neither have been any problem?

All of this is a massive step back from the RFID technology we were using last year where you didn't need to take it out of the your wallet and it didn't matter which way you put it in. Does anyone know why it was downgraded to 1980s barcode tech?

Cheaper option

You've summed it up perfectly!

Why don't we use the near field technology where mobile phones (in future), along with season tickets can be used as a method of entry rather than the outdated barcode scanners?

Well that's what I thought but I don't understand how replacing one system (that's already in place) with another one (that needed installing) can be cheaper.

It was the ticketmaster software that accompanied the RFID system that was expensive and also subject to booking fee the club seeked to remove.

Archived