IGNORED

Fair Play To Cottererill

TV Tom

Not many were impressed with his appointment but he's turning people around very quickly, the standard of football, passion,, commitment and energy has increased dramatically from players and manager, spread the word, get people returning to the Gate and get behind the team, the future looks brighter. Actually looking forward to the next game! 

Not many were impressed with his appointment but he's turning people around very quickly, the standard of football, passion,, commitment and energy has increased dramatically from players and manager, spread the word, get people returning to the Gate and get behind the team, the future looks brighter. Actually looking forward to the next game!

I was a big fan of SOD and right behind his 'project'. I was also VERY sceptical about the appointment of SC.

However, I must say I have been impressed and encouraged by our last few performances. Very early days but good signs all the same.

SC's time here as also emphasised some of SOD's deficiencies which makes me feel more comfortable about our man in charge.

Long may it continue!

I was a big fan of SOD and right behind his 'project'. I was also VERY sceptical about the appointment of SC.

However, I must say I have been impressed and encouraged by our last few performances. Very early days but good signs all the same.

SC's time here as also emphasised some of SOD's deficiencies which makes me feel more comfortable about our man in charge.

Long may it continue!

Same. I like the positive attitute and particularly the positive substitutions he makes to try and win games.

Pleased Harewood has been shipped out in favour of giving Burns a chance. This and comments he's made about the lad must make Wes feel 10 feet tall.

I'm happy to admit i was wrong. Now im fully behind the appointment.

Obviously on the pitch is where it counts and there is huge improvement but off it has been outstanding too.

media-wise Cotterill has it right and what he says doesnt give me the impression he says it with honesty and truth and not what the fans want to hear.

One stand out yesterday when asked about Fontaine and what he expected. The reply of "Better" and what stood out for me was "we have a club captain going out on loan and that can't be right".

Ok its early days but at the moment Im a huge fan of our new manager

It is clear to see when comparing SC with SOD that SC just brings more no nonsense to his team.

I'll give credit to SOD in what he was trying to achieve off the pitch but on the pitch, his tactics and team lineup were all wrong, too negative and slow and there was no passion.

SC has turned all this around in the space of 3 games. I'm very positive moving forward

Cotterill is playing to the players strengths whereas SoD was trying to turn sows ears into silk purses and unfortunately it was taking too long. Consequently results suffered and he got sacked. Shame in one way but the decision to dismiss him was the right one.

Not to put a downer on things but how many now ridiculed former managers have seen threads like this in the early days? It's like a cycle in the last few years. I'm behind SC completely. Things have looked much better so far. But that's it, let's actually take stock after a decent amount of time.

There seems to be a better vibe coming from all parts of the club and the fans, the interviews have an atmosphere of fun about them, SC seems to enjoy the banter whilst being interviewed, even with the inevitable 'stupid' questions. I suppose the acid test will come when a wheel comes off, perhaps that's when will know more about SC of course along with his upcoming signings.

Not to put a downer on things but how many now ridiculed former managers have seen threads like this in the early days? It's like a cycle in the last few years. I'm behind SC completely. Things have looked much better so far. But that's it, let's actually take stock after a decent amount of time.

Absolutely agree. That's why I said 'very early days' in my post.

It's very easy to pick up on positives in the first few performances. Our league position at the end of the season will be the biggest indicator of how SC has done. Let's not forget Di Canio hammered Newcastle in one of his first games in charge at Sunderland. They thought he was a God. Look how that turned out.

Let's hope this positive atmosphere under SC is here to stay.

SOD won 2 league games in his last 28...SC wins 2 league games in 4... says it all really!

God I didnt realize his record was that bad.

The football was awful and the atmosphere was dull at AG this season under him. I just couldn't see it turning around to be honest with him still there.

why not just enjoy it while it's here? I'll worry about the bad times when they come

This!

first game for me this season. I thought for the first 10 mins Watford zipped the ball around and looked a league above us.

after that was impressed,didn't look like a side bottom of the third tier.

All the talk on here about hoof ball was nowhere to be seen.plenty of energy and players really wanting to receive the ball.

Couldn't fault anyone for effort,reid,bryan and burns looked like they belong. the only worry I had as the game went on was pack.

if he got to far forward, when moves broke down he lacked the pace to get back and disrupt Watford.

Apart from that just from what I witnessed yesterday if this was the start of the season we would be nearer the top than the bottom come the end.

i.m.o.

I wasn't sure we were making a progressive appointment with Cotterill, and worried we'd throw away what good work SO'D did do during his reign  (i.e. more youth, footballing team).

But he's totally won me over, lock-stock-&-barrel.  Mentioned when he first arrived he'd need to be pragmatic in comparison to the idealist SO'D, and he's done that and more, managing to blend the few positives we saw prior to his appointment with an energy and determination (and disarming honesty) that was fatally lacking.  

Look forward to every game now, and looks like the players do to, and long may that continue.

Cotts is playing to our players strengths and using a system that suits them,

The previous 3 managers stuck with a system and tried to get players to fit in that ie not playing to their strengths and we failed,

So that'll change when Barnett arrives from Posh then, and he'll play a system that doesn't suit their strengths!

Not sure if it's been posted elsewhere, but a rather telling tweet from Pemberton over the weekend, thanking the fans for the atmosphere and how much the players are enjoying playing in front of them again

Been a while since that has happened I suspect

Fair shout to SC, can't say I was 100% behind the appointment, but the early signs are encouraging. Every time I hear the bloke I fall back in love with City a little bit more, SOD made me want to rip my ears off

God I didnt realize his record was that bad.

That's because it wasn't! Actually 3 in 28! And even that is being very selective with the stats. Why 28? Why not add another 10 for his whole tenure? Because 7 wins doesn't make quite such bad reading!

But all that's splitting hairs and isn't said to defend a poor record in results terms.

At the same time, let's not forget that we won our first 4 home games under SOD and picked up 16 out if first 18 points. As others have said, we need to give it some time, and the real test comes with how we recover from a bad result, and with how we cope under the pressure of more crucial games in March/April. That was what let SOD down: I still think the game at Wolves last season was the turning point. He got the tactics and the motivation wrong, and we lost a game we never should have lost - and just didn't get any belief back after that.

Coterill's a very different personality and I don't think he'd let that happen. And yes, very very encouraging so far, but it will be at Shrewsbury and at Colchester in March that we really know!

That's because it wasn't! Actually 3 in 28! And even that is being very selective with the stats. Why 28? Why not add another 10 for his whole tenure? Because 7 wins doesn't make quite such bad reading!

But all that's splitting hairs and isn't said to defend a poor record in results terms.

At the same time, let's not forget that we won our first 4 home games under SOD and picked up 16 out if first 18 points. As others have said, we need to give it some time, and the real test comes with how we recover from a bad result, and with how we cope under the pressure of more crucial games in March/April. That was what let SOD down: I still think the game at Wolves last season was the turning point. He got the tactics and the motivation wrong, and we lost a game we never should have lost - and just didn't get any belief back after that.

Coterill's a very different personality and I don't think he'd let that happen. And yes, very very encouraging so far, but it will be at Shrewsbury and at Colchester in March that we really know!

Well said. I think where Cotterill has succeeded spectacularly is with the bullshot - and let nobody try to tell me that's not a necessary part of management. I offer the examples of Clough, Shankly and Ferguson in my defence.

I was behind SOD and who wouldn't like the idea of attacking, possession based, short passing football but the reality was somewhat different as we know. I always felt there needed to be a "middle way" I liked short passing and possession but would have preferred it done quicker.

My impression of SC is that he is a very good third division type manager which is not meant as a criticism and is exactly what we need, he has managed to turn us into a good third division team very quickly, also what we need to be. The test might come when he has some money to spend as his choice of player might lead to a more direct style of play or if he manages to get us promoted in time and has to find a more considered style of play. Perhaps there are some similarities with John Ward's tenure although I do think SC has more about him.

As others have said though a really positive start and I'm enjoying watching his team play.

Archived