IGNORED

Adam El Abd (Merged)

Negan

Strange area of the team to be looking to strengthen.

Osbourne has been impressive since he initially came on loan, Flint has been excellent since Cotterill's arrival and in Williams we have a real talent. If we were to revert to four at the back anytime soon (which interest in wingers would suggest we may) one of those would already have to sit on the bench before we take into consideration Carey, Fontaine, Brundle, James Wilson (yes still here) and now El Abd. I would say we have much weaker areas in our squad than centre half at the moment.

As for El Abd, I won't claim to be an expert on him, but he has always appeared a nasty player and a bit of a wind up merchant. I think I'm right in saying that he got Ricky Lambert the only red card of his career though, so he deserves some respect for that at least. I wouldn't look too far into us doing a job on Upson and Bridcutt in the game at Ashton Gate last season and forcing El Abd to bring the ball out of defence as an example of suggesting he is is poor on the ball though. I would suggest that says more about Upson and Bridcutt's quality and the way Brighton looked to play rather than any slight on El Abd.

We have been too soft for too long though and if Cotterill sees him as the type of character to make us tougher and more difficult to beat then that is fair enough I'd say. I would be concerned though that working withing the SCMP constrictions we would be much better off spending the wages we will likely to be paying El Abd strengthening elsewhere. It is of course unfair to judge that until the window shuts though.

Cracking.

Strange signing though, because our back three have been solid.

I agree, it seems very odd, but who knows what is going on, perhaps one of our CB's has had his head turned by another club and is doing the off ?

But regardless its a very good signing IMO

What a signing!! Who cares if we have Flint and Williams, this guy is an improvement on what we have here and they will learn a thing or two from him and hopefully improve themselves.

Described as a their most passionate player and a fighter by any Brighton fan you speak to. Exactly what we need. Flint and AEA will be the meanest pairing outside the top two divisions!!

From my BHA mate:

He's a very good signing for a league one side. He's quite solid but can't get a decent run in our side as Gordon Greer and Matt Upson are better than him. I'm surprised he's dropped down a division but we are side moving up and he's not good enough for the Premier so it makes sense to move on. He'll do a great job, not the paciest but isn't afraid to put himself about and really winds the opposition players up. He's played over 300 times for us and gives his all in every match.

I wish him all the best and you have got a good one there.

I'd rather sign, a quality, experienced, proven Centre Half, than a young and upcoming one.

We have to have a short term plan currently, to conquer our long term plan. We have to make sure of survival this season, which we look more than capable of doing, and then build from there, with a mixed squad, experience and youth, and 11 passionate players on the pitch who are proud to wear the shirt, and have a hunger to play for the club.

Past your bedtime?

More the boredom of your current sniping at the new regime. Still waiting for Cotterill etc to fall on his ass and he isn't. Good signings, decent pick up in results and you just constantly find something to snipe about. It gets a bit boring.

You're happy that we've signed a defender though, surely?

If it means Fontaine slips down the pecking order then yes, great.

Merely an observation that Cotterill's two signings in this window are 28 & 29 years old, and both have slightly dubious reputations in terms of their mentality. The other (Osborne) is also over 25 though to be fair a Burt signing.

Could have done with this guy in the summer before our relegation season imo. Looking at the Brighton forum they have nothing but good things to say about him, you don't normally get that from a signing, sounds like a reliable championship defender. You wonder who is going out, maybe cotteril doesn't think flint is up to the job, he has improved of late though. Williams has been our most consistent signing imo so would be harsh to drop him, and Osborne has looked different class since he signed. It will mean the end of fontaine I think, can see him going out on loan again. Brighton fans are also very positive about us on their forum, have definitely warmed to them, hated them after they robbed us of promotion in that playoff final!

Archived