IGNORED

Adam El Abd (Merged)

Negan

If it means Fontaine slips down the pecking order then yes, great.

Merely an observation that Cotterill's two signings in this window are 28 & 29 years old, and both have slightly dubious reputations in terms of their mentality. The other (Osborne) is also over 25 though to be fair a Burt signing.

Age is just a number. Shaun Taylor was 33 when we signed him.

I saw the rumour he has signed to be captain on the brighton forum too. Just realised its a 3 and a half year deal for a 29 year old! not happy with that, club going back on their policy again. 2 years would have been better, proving were still a soft touch. Also I noticed cotteril says he can play the ball from the back, SOD didn't think so...who do we believe?

To Michael Jackson's Bad

Because he's Abd, he's Abd-
Come on
(Abd Abd-really, really Abd)
You know I'm Abd, I'm Abd-
You know it

Glad you're paying attention. In fairness, as someone else has said; 2.5 years isn't ridiculous. Still seems to be a sea change in the types of signings, and I'm sure these aren't Burt's recommendations.

Thank **** for that, enough ex royal ballet players, trained not to tackle under any circumstances, by the previous non contact instructor.

I saw the rumour he has signed to be captain on the brighton forum too. Just realised its a 3 and a half year deal for a 29 year old! not happy with that, club going back on their policy again. 2 years would have been better, proving were still a soft touch. Also I noticed cotteril says he can play the ball from the back, SOD didn't think so...who do we believe?

and we have paid a fee too, that's money we will never see back as he will be 33 by the time he is out-of-contract. I've been deliighted with Cotts, but this signing seems to be back to the bad old days of throwing away money - be interesting to see who out of Williams, Flint & Osborne is dropped for him...

He will punt it all game, bet ya. Also sounds like a boxer that's taken too many knocks to the head on the OS. Good luck to him though, he was starting for BHA last week so must be decent.

and we have paid a fee too, that's money we will never see back as he will be 33 by the time he is out-of-contract. I've been deliighted with Cotts, but this signing seems to be back to the bad old days of throwing away money - be interesting to see who out of Williams, Flint & Osborne is dropped for him...

Don't get me wrong I think this guy will be a good signing, I just question the length of contract for his age. I guess he probably has family and wanted security. It will be interesting to see who will be dropped, we have been defending better of late. Perhaps flint? Or maybe were switching back to 4-4-2, in which case we need to sign a winger or 2!

He's only been here 5 minutes, don't jump the gun..

Well the first rumour that broke out about Adam El Abd joining us came this morning.

"16 Jan 2014 10:58:09

Just met tommy fraser's dad and he said that news from the brighton camp is that adam el ab has left for bristol city. :- ( Getting double the wages and the captains armband apparently. Good luck adam & sad to see you go"

This guy knew about the move before anybody else and was right. So is probably right about everything else. Including the increased wage

He's already got me on board. Love a new signing who calls the club 'we' and 'us' in his first interview rather than talk about the club in third person.

Simple things simple minds and that....happy days

Yes but he also called us Bristol..... He'll never make it now!

I'd rather sign, a quality, experienced, proven Centre Half, than a young and upcoming one.

We have to have a short term plan currently, to conquer our long term plan. We have to make sure of survival this season, which we look more than capable of doing, and then build from there, with a mixed squad, experience and youth, and 11 passionate players on the pitch who are proud to wear the shirt, and have a hunger to play for the club.

Exactly. I was going to write the same but you saved me the bother and probably put it better. Osbourne has added experience and Flint has looked a lot more assured. This player will do the same and more I think. Hopefully he is the leader we desperately need. He sounds like he might add a bit of grit and steel too which we so obviously lack at times.

Maybe Fonts is on his way and Williams will be benched more, or they will just be rotated more. Defenders are often suspended or there are injuries to cover for. I think Cotterill likes to play with wing backs, he recently said the 2 wide players do the most running so can't play Sat/Tues/Sat especially on heavy pitches this time of year. This signing gives us options.

Fair enough it wasn't the striker/midfielder expected but maybe this player became available and was too good an opportunity to miss. I have no doubt other players are being pursued but as Cotterill also said 'getting them in the door is another thing altogether'.

Correct

But it completely goes against the everything the club is apparently now working towards

I hope the club is currently "working towards"  staying in this league and if this guy or Mary Popins can help....Then welcome aboard  !!! and to hell with the pillars !

Five Pillars?

Hold on! I'm just dusting down my "Five Pillars" handbook. 

The Pillar states:

"The club aims to sign players aged 24 and under more often than not, with older recruits becoming an exception, rather than the norm. The club is also building up a database of young players in all positions to aid in talent identification."

The above statement is clearly ambiguous because "more often than not" suggests greater than 50% of the time. If we imagine the time-frame of this season than we could still get a few "exceptions" in without breaking the pillar. Also, the pillar doesn't stipulate whether "sign" means sign permanently or on loan.

Ultimately I think the pillar is probably shit and we should  give up on it. 

Well the first rumour that broke out about Adam El Abd joining us came this morning.

"16 Jan 2014 10:58:09

Just met tommy fraser's dad and he said that news from the brighton camp is that adam el ab has left for bristol city. :- ( Getting double the wages and the captains armband apparently. Good luck adam & sad to see you go"

This guy knew about the move before anybody else and was right. So is probably right about everything else. Including the increased wage

Highly doubtful he would be doubling his championship wage after dropping down to

League one.

Alright chaps. Brighton fan here.

You have yourself a really great lad in AEA. You'll love him - a proper old fashioned centre half and the most improved player I have EVER seen at the Albion.

His winding up of opposition forwards is legendary!

Most don't peak until their early 30's anyway!

He'll be 32/33 by the time his contracts up... Carey's 36 and people were crying for him to sign a new contract last year on sentimental value.

El Abd is a better defender than Carey and offers that physicality we've been lacking.

Osborne, El-Abd, Flint and Williams isn't exactly a bad set to pick from if Fonts, Carey and Wilson do move on either now or at the end of the season.

Welcome Adam!

Alright chaps. Brighton fan here.

You have yourself a really great lad in AEA. You'll love him - a proper old fashioned centre half and the most improved player I have EVER seen at the Albion.

His winding up of opposition forwards is legendary!

Thank you for taking the time to sign up here and give us your thoughts ...its appreciated to hear it from someone who knows and has been watching :)

Archived