IGNORED

Adam El Abd (Merged)

Negan

Have we ditched the under 24 policy then ?

Hold on! I'm just dusting down my "Five Pillars" handbook. 

The Pillar states:

"The club aims to sign players aged 24 and under more often than not, with older recruits becoming an exception, rather than the norm. The club is also building up a database of young players in all positions to aid in talent identification."

The above statement is clearly ambiguous because "more often than not" suggests greater than 50% of the time. If we imagine the time-frame of this season than we could still get a few "exceptions" in without breaking the pillar. Also, the pillar doesn't stipulate whether "sign" means sign permanently or on loan.

Ultimately I think the pillar is probably shit and we should  give up on it. 

By the sounds of it, looking for first team football on a regular basis. Who is dropped then? We have waggy or Moloney at right back who both deserve to keep their role and our three cb's who deserve to keep their place atm. I can't see who he would replace?

If he helps us keep a few clean sheets, does it really matter?

Plenty of posters were bemoaning the fact that we can't keep the goals out on Tuesday after the Watford defeat, SC is trying to do something about it.

By the sounds of it, looking for first team football on a regular basis. Who is dropped then? We have waggy or Moloney at right back who both deserve to keep their role and our three cb's who deserve to keep their place atm. I can't see who he would replace?

Agree the 3 centre backs have been playing well but none of them are what i would call a leader. This is something that has been missing in recent seasons and i would be very surprised if the rumour of him becoming captain isn't true. Waggy couldn't play right back (wing back yes) and i think Moloney is too lightweight and gets pushed off the ball too easily when playing right back. If we went back to a back 4 i would expect Osborne to play right back

Im not complaining about the under 24 policy at all, i couldn't give 2 hoots if the player is 73 as long as he improves the squad overall.

How many times?! It's a guideline, there will be exceptions!

The point - we'll no longer just sign over the hill players. There is a new focus on investing in younger players which we are doing bringing through Reid, Bryan and signing the likes of flint, JET and Osborne. Having said that, every team needs balance and on average we have a very yong squad. Centre back is also a position where you need experience and where generally players last longer.

AEA is a very good signing for his quality and experience. He'll be 33 when his contract expires, nothing wrong with that at all.

Look at our back line. Carey will be gone in the summer as will wilson and possibly Fonts. Williams, Osborne, Flint are all relatively young. Experienced head in there is vital. Fantastic signing.

Please will people show some common sense about the under-24 guideline!

Apart from a couple of set piece goals, we have looked pretty solid ever since Osbourne joined and I don't think it is an area we needed to improve at the moment (ignoring the games against Championship opposition). Unlike Midfield where we are still getting dominated by teams. But if he improves the team then I think you can make the odd over 24 signing to add experience. Just hope the club aren't going back to their old ways...

By the sounds of it he is a hard CB who won't be playing too much football. 

He is the type of player that we need. We don't have any leaders at all in the side. The youngsters need a bit of experience next to them and he seems like the ideal candidate to be honest. We are slowly improving at the back and he will add to this I'm sure. 

We have been far too soft for way too long now. Good signing.

Looks like a 'pwoppa geez' in that jacket! I think we may just have seen an Egyptian Vinnie Jones sign for City!

Im actually looking forward to our team getting stuck in big time now.

The last person I saw wearing a jacket like that was my history teacher in the 70's

When we played them last year, people around me commented on how he was a proper, get you head stuck in, defender; someone we haven't had since Shaun Taylor. 

Last home game and the same people were saying a Shaun Taylor esque player was what we needed to get us out of this hole!

I have to say what a great signing. We will probably never know the fee paid, or the salary he is on (why would we?) but he is EXACTLY the player we need. 

Not over the moon about giving such a long contract to a 29 year old but agree we do need a bit of steel.

I hope this type of signing remains the exception though and we stick in general to the policy of young talent.

I would suggest double wages and captain's armband is nonsense. Doesn't add up with SCMP or common sense.

Hope he does well.

great signing you've got in AEA, hard working and will be sorely missed by brighton... not the greatest player but more than capable at league 1 and a more than solid tackler.. picks up a few cards from getting involved with every little bit of 'off the ball action' but is hilarious with it. regardless of the cb's you already have hes a great signing that SHOULD walk into most teams below championship level.

p.s. the bit about him being a defensive midfielder isnt true. it says it on a game and therefore someone put it on Wikipedia. he can however play right back and plays either side as a centre half.

good luck for the season,

tom

He will punt it all game, bet ya. Also sounds like a boxer that's taken too many knocks to the head on the OS. Good luck to him though, he was starting for BHA last week so must be decent.

sounded ok to me,have you heard interviews with pro footballers before?

one club player like wagstaff. sounds up to the challenge.

what a change,who to leave out flint,osbourn,williams or el abd?

if cotts can sign a winger and none of our top players leave we must have a good enough squad to march up this league!!

Archived