IGNORED

Adam El Abd (Merged)

Negan

From The brighton forum (Not sure if been posted, apologies if so) -

Just met tommy fraser's dad and he said that news from the brighton camp is that adam el ab has left for bristol city. :- ( Getting double the wages and the captains armband apparently. Good luck adam & sad to see you go

Osborne, flint and Williams are all pretty young in centre back terms so having someone with more experience is definitely a good thing. Also means we've for 6 solid cb's to cover our 3 cb positions. And a captain, as baldock is bloody useless at it.

Hopefully we'll get experience in the window then more youth in the summer.

Still think we need another striker to give baldock more competition, and someone to bring a bit more flair to the midfield.

I think people are forgetting where we are, this is one hell of signing for a league one side in the relation Zone. I wouldn't want to see Flint, Osborne or Williams left out but then we are at the bottom for a reason and Al abd is better than what we have and a defender in his prime.

Exactly.

Sounds like a perfect type for the battle we are in.

One way of thinking about this signing (if you can't decide if it's wonderful or woeful) is if he had just signed for Sheff U, Notts Co, Tranmere, Crewe or Stevenage, what would we be thinking and feeling? Would we be thinking 'why didn't we bid for him?' and feeling a little twinge of anxiety or frustartion or concern? Or would we have barely noticed?

Me? I wouldn't have noticed. First I've heard of him. So, I need to ask: how do you pronounce his surname? And will singing The Beatles "Ob-La-Di" work with his name? "Desmond has a barrow in the market place, Olly went to Brighton with his team; Adam left a pressie in the dressing room and Olly found his shoes needed a clean...Ob-La-Di Abd, Abd...la la la life goes on...."

Just thought I'd add to what the other Brighton fans have posted.

From a fans perspective, Adam is was one of the most highly regarded players at the club. Yes he's a wind up merchant and is 100% committed to the cause, but he's also a real pro and an outstanding defender. This stuff about him playing hoofball is nonsense, he flourished under Poyet who is obsessed with short passing and possession football. He's definitely a Championship level player and it's a real surprise that he's dropped down a division. Physically he's nowhere near the end of his career, the guy is obsessed with being in peak condition and has a lot of years left in him.

He's also a genuinely great bloke, I've met him a number of times and off the pitch he's a gent. 

Really gutted that he's left.

I think we are looking to push for the Premier League and seem to be letting the League One winning team of a couple of years ago leave bit by bit. Ashley Barnes left last week too.

We already have two 30 something central defenders in Upson and Greer and I think we'll be looking to bring in someone younger to replace AEA.

A bit surprised he has gone - he's one of those players you just expect to see out his career at the club.

Sorry. Another question. Not about Big Adam, though. This one's about your man, Greer: you lot call him Bonnie, or Germaine?

Can't believe you read the guardian Sir Les.  Always had you down as a torygraph man.

Mizz Greer, G, is a regular columnist in the Saturday Telegraph, Mr Bard. Weekend section. Drones on about countryside affairs, trying to kid us all on she's not still scheming and plotting against us fellers. I may well have glanced at a copy of 'The Female Enoch' whilst in George's bookshop, Park St, back in the 70s too. Just to see what all the fuss was about. Greer, Bonnie, well known to the authorities too. Know your NME, Bard...

Mizz Greer, G, is a regular columnist in the Saturday Telegraph, Mr Bard. Weekend section. Drones on about countryside affairs, trying to kid us all on she's not still scheming and plotting against us fellers. I may well have glanced at a copy of 'The Female Enoch' whilst in George's bookshop, Park St, back in the 70s too. Just to see what all the fuss was about. Greer, Bonnie, well known to the authorities too. Know your NME, Bard...

I bow to your superior knowledge of the telegraph your lordship.  

The female Enoch!    Do we now refer to the former city striker as Ms Showunmi?

In my opinion, you just significantly improved your chances of staying up! Bloody good signing for a League One club and he'll give you 110% every week! Always seems to know the right buttons to press to wind the opposition's forwards up, and a good ability to know just how far to push the ref. Hard nut and a true gent at the same time. Great player and an Albion legend, he'll be missed by everyone at Brighton, i'm gutted to see him go, but have to wish him all the best at BCFC! Good luck for the rest of the season.

3pjg.jpg

Living in Brighton I have seen and heard a lot of the local reaction to El Abd's departure. There is so much respect for him and genuine wishes for him to do well for us - I honestly havent read or heard a single bad word about the bloke.

A BHAFC season ticket holding mate said he is great in the air for someone just short of 6ft and described him in a totally complimentary way as an "animal". Great news we have got him in my opinion.

Great signing. Finally a leader with a bit of bite. Harsh on whoever gets left out of the back 3, but 4 quality CBs between 3 spots is a good problem to have. Very much reduces the chances of seeing Fonts or Louis in a city shirt again. I'm not one for captain worship but it's been years since we've had a regular first teamer who could be called captain material. Now we've got a championship one in his prime for less than 100k (apparently) with nothing but glowing reports.

Anyone piping up about pillars kindly take a cold shower...

Great signing. Finally a leader with a bit of bite. Harsh on whoever gets left out of the back 3, but 4 quality CBs between 3 spots is a good problem to have. Very much reduces the chances of seeing Fonts or Louis in a city shirt again. I'm not one for captain worship but it's been years since we've had a regular first teamer who could be called captain material. Now we've got a championship one in his prime for less than 100k (apparently) with nothing but glowing reports.

Anyone piping up about pillars kindly take a cold shower...

I'm not sure who to drop but I always think genuine competition for places is healthy and you need some quality subs. I welcome this signing.

Have not looked all the way through the tread so if it has been said before sorry ,wonder if he will be in the team tomorrow or on the bench ,I personllly can't wait to see him play . Really need a bit of bite hopefully he will bring.

Bringing in an Experienced player straight out of the Brian Clough handbook, offer him the armband and he will drop a level

5 figure fee reported is great news

I highly doubt he will be the disaster that Hunt and Stewart turned out to be - had to show him the longer contract because he would probably go on  a free at end of contract to another Champ club if his contract wasn't renewed.

If that was due in the summer then that would explain the 5 figure fee, the departure from his one club

Optimistic about this one - has the potential to be a squad changer

I'm not sure who to drop but I always think genuine competition for places is healthy and you need some quality subs. I welcome this signing.

Think he'll(Cotterill) will switch to a back four. As an outside shot he may play him in a defensive midfield role in a 352. Alternatively SC just might not rate Flint. It's going to be interesting how the line up. I'm pleased SC appears to be adding a spine.

Brighton fans have been watching him for years and they love him to bits. I had a quick look on their North Stand Forum and they seem gutted to see him go. You don't get that sort of praise from football fans for acting like a big pussy whilst just picking up a wage. I'm really happy with this signing.

Welcome to Bristol City Adam, you sound exactly like what we need.

This thread is indicative of why football clubs are run by a manager and NOT a committee.

There are pros and cons to every signing, and our defence ain't the best.

Hopefully we can get rid of Carey and Fontaine now - don't let the door hit you on the arse on the way out guys ............

Archived