IGNORED

Baldock Today

BITW

Because Baldock's been spoiled with excellent service all season?!

He's had long balls pumped to him from defence for 80% of the season!

Apart from all the one on ones he's missed that have been threaded through to him on the ground???

Notts county miss - ball played on the ground.

3x Coventry misses - ball played on the ground.

2x misses today - ball played on the ground

Miss vs Crawley - ball played on the ground.

Miss vs Watford - ball played on the ground.

I could go on and on. Don't get this "long balls pumped to him" bollucks.

Because Baldock's been spoiled with excellent service all season?!

He's had long balls pumped to him from defence for 80% of the season!

Quite simply, yes. The amount of chances he has missed for a striker we paid good money for is frankly, embarrassing.

You can't fault his effort but Brett is 10 times the finisher Sam will ever be.

Baldock's header miss was a big blow but the one on ones weren't as simple as they might have been. Not a good angle and covering defenders made it hard for him to go across the keeper.

Scoring two out of five chances is a normal return for a striker so why people make such a big deal about it is beyond me. I said at the start of the season he'd break 20 - and only two strikers since Taylor have done that for us in the league - and he will.

JET wasn't at his best but I'd make two points. One: He still created a lot - sprung the offside trap for Baldock four times I think and started the move that led to his good chance in the first half. Two: On the two or three prominent times he lost the ball he was carrying it out of defence, with no passing options in front or level with him, and being challenged by two or three opponents together.

To be honest I think some people watch too much Premiership. You can't expect a striker to score every chance and when they've got 33 goals between them just over half way through the season complaining about either of them is complete nonsense.

Apart from all the one on ones he's missed that have been threaded through to him on the ground???

I'm not saying he hasn't missed chances he should have buried.

But there's still only 6 players in the entire division that have scored more than him, so that tells it's own story. People just aren't happy unless they have someone to moan about.

I don't need to be at the game to know the type of finisher Baldock is.  he is a scorer of goals, he is not a good finisher. If i am there to witness it or not it matters not. If he hadn't scored 2 we would have lost 2-0, if he had scored the ones he missed we could of won, if MK dons had scored 2 sitters they missed we could have lost, it matters not, he scored 2 goals,if he hadn't we would have  lost 2-0. So he may have actually got us a point.

Striker missing numerous golden chances doesn't matter.

Beyond belief isn't it. Just beyond the halfway point and conceivable he could finish the season on 25, yet every week berated for his wastefulness. Only OTIB. :grr:

Never mind the fact that we concede in EVERY SINGLE GAME, with woefully inadequate defending.

22 missed 1 on 1s?

What's your thoughts on that?

Baldock's header miss was a big blow but the one on ones weren't as simple as they might have been. Not a good angle and covering defenders made it hard for him to go across the keeper.

Scoring two out of five chances is a normal return for a striker so why people make such a big deal about it is beyond me. I said at the start of the season he'd break 20 - and only two strikers since Taylor have done that for us in the league - and he will.

JET wasn't at his best but I'd make two points. One: He still created a lot - sprung the offside trap for Baldock four times I think and started the move that led to his good chance in the first half. Two: On the two or three prominent times he lost the ball he was carrying it out of defence, with no passing options in front or level with him, and being challenged by two or three opponents together.

To be honest I think some people watch too much Premier League. You can't expect a striker to score every chance and when they've got 33 goals between them just over half way through the season complaining about either of them is complete nonsense.

Because he sticks one of those away early on we have something to hold onto and gives the team a boost. He misses them and low and behold we're 2-0 down at half time.

The oddity is that he struggles with one on ones and yet is such a clinical penalty taker. Instinctive finishers who struggle with one on ones usually struggle purely because they have time to think about where they're going to put the ball, which should give them even more issues when they take a penalty.

To be honest I think some people watch too much Premier League. You can't expect a striker to score every chance and when they've got 33 goals between them just over half way through the season complaining about either of them is complete nonsense.

Indeed.

It seems people want to go back to the good old days when our top striker manged 8 goals!

Where we need to improve is the team as a fully function unit in defence and attack, we seem to be getting the parts, we just need to fit them together into some sort of consistent cohesive unit

22 missed 1 on 1s?

What's your thoughts on that?

My thoughts are he's one of the highest scorers in League One and the joint highest in our team, and on course for 20-25 league goals.

Why does no one talk about the number of missed tackles that Flint makes? Or the number of times JET tries to take on 8 players and loses possession?

Ultimately, a striker is measured on goals scored, and for him to be on course for that total when we've been propping up the league all season makes it beyond belief that every game ends in a thread bemoaning a "wasteful" striker.

Who is to blame for the 2 concede then?  if we hadn't we would have won 2-0!!

Sorry but that's utter crap, I won't slag off Baldock because he scored 2 albeit simple goals today but if he had taken the first 2 chances instead of his last 2, we would have taken 3 points today. What people seem to forget is that as a defender you can't take back a mistake that leads to a goal or 2 once they have been scored. As a striker it seems ok that you can miss a hatful of chances as long as you make up for it in the second half. Baldock put extra pressure on the defence today by not taking at least 1 of the 3 guilt edge chances he had in the first 15 minutes. At say 2 or 3 nil people could forgive us conceding the first goal but at 0-0 its magnified 10 fold as the reason we didn't get 3 points imo.

The stats are still incomparible.

Pitman finished better than Baldock in the one on one environment, but Baldock scores more goals.

Personally I'd rather have someone who will give you 20 a season than someone that is more "clinical" but doesn't make enough chances. 1 in 2 is better than 1 in 4 whichever way you slice it up.

Not if you break it down to minutes on the pitch. Baldock is ever present.

Anyway, I don't wish to slate Baldock. As I have stated in a previous post, his goal to games ratio this season is as much as the most optomistic fan could have asked from him.

I just don't happen to believe that he is a 'natural' finisher. Pitman was one of the most 'natural' finishers I have seen in my time at the gate, along with Bob Taylor and (in his time with us) Leroy Lita.

Oh, and Andy Cole, of course.

They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time, it works everytime..........and you mean bollocks, bollucks is a spherical soap

Two ways of looking at it today.

Baldocks poor finishing cost us 3 points.

Baldocks 2 goals got us a point.

Both Fully accurate.

More accurate, our defending cost us a win, score 2 goals at home you should win.

Because he sticks one of those away early on we have something to hold onto and gives the team a boost. He misses them and low and behold we're 2-0 down at half time.

He scores one and we hold onto a lead and lose momentum and end up losing three one, who's to say what would happen?

Point is, he scored two, from five chances. Missed one sitter. The one on ones weren't sitters they were decent chances but not ones you'd expect to score every time - MK Dons missed two like that as well.

Let's not mention El Abd (who was otherwise good) giving away the first goal or all three central midfielders and three central defenders letting them walk unchallenged through the middle of the pitch for the second shall we?

He set up Baldocks chances for **** sake!!!!!

Anyone who would sell JET over Baldock needs their head tested. Running around isn't a skill. JET = most talented player we've had in years and years.

That what I was saying in response to the poster who was slagging off JET.I am in total agreement for ****sake.

Two ways of looking at it today.

Baldocks poor finishing cost us 3 points.

Baldocks 2 goals got us a point.

Both Fully accurate.

Could double that for both the Dongs games this season.

For all the frustrations with his, is it our goals for, or goals against that is the core of the problem?

Sorry but that's utter crap, I won't slag off Baldock because he scored 2 albeit simple goals today but if he had taken the first 2 chances instead of his last 2, we would have taken 3 points today. What people seem to forget is that as a defender you can't take back a mistake that leads to a goal or 2 once they have been scored. As a striker it seems ok that you can miss a hatful of chances as long as you make up for it in the second half. Baldock put extra pressure on the defence today by not taking at least 1 of the 3 guilt edge chances he had in the first 15 minutes. At say 2 or 3 nil people could forgive us conceding the first goal but at 0-0 its magnified 10 fold as the reason we didn't get 3 points imo.

It is just as crap as blaming the striker for missing, by your reckoning Baldock should be scoring a hattrick every game due to defensive frailties not being the problem of thse making mistakes, that i am  afraid is utter crap as you so eloquently put it

Not if you break it down to minutes on the pitch. Baldock is ever present.

Anyway, I don't wish to slate Baldock. As I have stated in a previous post, his goal to games ratio this season is as much as the most optomistic fan could have asked from him.

I just don't happen to believe that he is a 'natural' finisher. Pitman was one of the most 'natural' finishers I have seen in my time at the gate, along with Bob Taylor and (in his time with us) Leroy Lita.

Oh, and Andy Cole, of course.

Maybe so but he scored just 20 times in nearly 80 games. If Baldock isn't driven out by the time he's played 80 games for us he could be on 30-35

I don't know how often he starts for Bournemouth but he's on 5 in 24 this season. So still VERY strange for people to be lamenting him as the one who got away when our only out and out striker who starts games is considerably more prolific.

Less clinical perhaps, but still by far the more prolific striker.

He scores one and we hold onto a lead and lose momentum and end up losing three one, who's to say what would happen?

Point is, he scored two, from five chances. Missed one sitter. The one on ones weren't sitters they were decent chances but not ones you'd expect to score every time - MK Dons missed two like that as well.

Let's not mention El Abd (who was otherwise good) giving away the first goal or all three central midfielders and three central defenders letting them walk unchallenged through the middle of the pitch for the second shall we?

I don't disagree with you, at least we're creating chances I think we created more chances today then the whole time SoD was here. But we get that early goal it changes the game as we saw Tuesday and today we don't take our chances we get punished as the defence isn't good enough to keep clean sheets. A bit more compourse from Sammy today and we would of had 3 points.

The oddity is that he struggles with one on ones and yet is such a clinical penalty taker. Instinctive finishers who struggle with one on ones usually struggle purely because they have time to think about where they're going to put the ball, which should give them even more issues when they take a penalty.

Both his penalties went straight down the middle, rare that he puts them into a corner

Archived