IGNORED

Baldock Today

BITW

Oh that Pitman, that is now back at his beloved Bournemouth, never starts a game and like with City ,is always on the bench. Pitman in the same class as Goater, now that is a big alarm bell for a clown comment. Mix the movement of Baldock with the finishing of Pitman, then you would have a player. Pitman was ok, but stop inventing hyperbole to suggest he was something that he was not. History too. Baldock is who we have, is getting into good positions, and if you research about strikers, you will find out that is the vital element. As over time, and seasons it is that which will bring goals. There was a very intense study made on this over a large number of players, seasons etc. Each player had a conversion rate and a level of chances created, that varied over time. At certain points everything goes in, then they get drought (Torres a good example) . Baldock is creating chances, scored 2 today, and will get over 20 this season. In a bottom 4 side. It is why sides need 4 or 5 strikers. At L1 level Sam is a good player.

Pitman, a lower league striker, scored 20 goals twice i think in a season in is career, last season too. Cannot score for toffee in the Championship. I am quite sure Baldock will get more than the 20 scored by Pitman last year in a promoted side, this season.

Where is the problem.

More worried by letting in the same type of goals, diagonal balls into the box, players at back post, behind defenders.

Who scored more goals in a season for City?

Baldock or Pitman

Perhaps you should check that and reconsider your comments

Right my 2 penny worth. Baldock and Jet don't seem to have much of a partnership, they don't work particularly well together, but between them they contribute a lot of goals.

I would have been tempted to take both of them off 10 minutes after HT, but without seeing Barnett play I looked around the rest of the team and couldn't really see where the 2 or 3 goals we needed would come from. Cunningham or Wagstaff looked the next most likely to score. Reid ? Pack? Gillett? Nope, unlikely. The rest of the defenders, even though they come up for every corner etc? Again unlikely.

I did like the introduction of Wes Burns, every game I have seen him play he has made a contribution. I like how we use Cunningham at the moment, suits his game better than purely defending. He got into some great positions but he isn't a striker, just as Wagstaff's strength isn't defending.

So as unconvincing as it is do we keep using Jet and Baldock as we do or try to get one of them to play with a different partner. We do really need to stop letting in unchallenged soft goals though, that's a certainty.

He will get 20 no doubt and is a good striker at this level. Just wish he could convert a few more one on one's.

amen to that brother,,,,,,imo we are getting a good return from him .....the real issue is the conceding,,,,, cut that out and draws like today become wins......even if we miss loads of chances ......

and i believe we will get there !

amen to that brother,,,,,,imo we are getting a good return from him .....the real issue is the conceding,,,,, cut that out and draws like today become wins......even if we miss loads of chances ......

and i believe we will get there !

Don't let sense get in the way of a good scapegoat opportunity!

The fact that we've dropped a level and we are still propping up a league due to goals conceded seems to have escaped the attentions of the whingers.

Fair play to the manager I would have taken Baldock of at half time but he stuck with it then he got 2 but if he could finish better we should have been 3 0 up before they had scored and we would have won easy then . Gillette had a good game Reid looked tired Cunningham very good oh great save from parish to

Thats why you, me and 9000 other City fans aint the manager. His movement, pace and positioning today went a long way to him having all those chances in the first half. If he could get in the same positions in the second half then he was going to hit the back of the net at some time. As\you say, well done SC for sticking with him.     

Thats why you, me and 9000 other City fans aint the manager. His movement, pace and positioning today went a long way to him having all those chances in the first half. If he could get in the same positions in the second half then he was going to hit the back of the net at some time. As\you say, well done SC for sticking with him.     

Spot on - those chances he missed might never have happened if he wasn't playing, who else makes the runs like he does?

On the one hand he scored two from 'five' chances today (a lot of other games he's scored zero from three, four chances) and gets in position to miss/score them; on the other the header in front of the EE was an abysmal effort and not untypical of some of his finishing this season plus, for me, he is at fault for missing 1 v 1s the same way - straight at the keeper.

Has he tried to go round the keeper at all (I honestly can't remember! He may have done!)? Surely he should be (and may be) working after training to get that bit of his game right as it is clearly amiss. In our line of work, whatever it might be, we'd work on something that wasn't up to the mark.

Couple of things on here: http://thenatchwall.wordpress.com/

But don;t all go too mental, it's all just a matter of opinion!

No matter what, gotta keep getting behind him and the lads cos by not winning games like this (ie in this manner) we are going down...

Question. Is part of the problem playing JET as a Baldock's strike partner? Most of the through balls that put Baldock one on one come from JET. What that means is that there's no other striker running in alongside, or slightly behind, Baldock. That means he's got no options, and that makes it easier for the opposing keeper. I'm thinking play JET behind the front two: he'll still get goals from there, will still be able to spot Baldock's runs and play to his strengths, but not mean that every time that happens it's a straightforward one on one. Thoughts?

As I keep saying, Has Sam Baldock really scored any goals this season he had absolutley no right in doing so? No

Has Sam Baldock missed 22 1 on 1 chances with the keeper this seadon? Yes

Should Sam Baldock have scored more than he has this season? Undoubtably

As I keep saying, Has Sam Baldock really scored any goals this season he had absolutley no right in doing so? No

Has Sam Baldock missed 22 1 on 1 chances with the keeper this seadon? Yes

Should Sam Baldock have scored more than he has this season? Undoubtably

Some of his finishes have been decent. I to would have liked him to have scored a few more of course, but I refer you to my previous question. Given those chances, how many would he have to have scored at this stage for you to have been content?

Some of his finishes have been decent. I to would have liked him to have scored a few more of course, but I refer you to my previous question. Given those chances, how many would he have to have scored at this stage for you to have been content?

I'm not sure that it's a question that I can answer, if we were playing well and the rest were chipping in goals then I would be happy if he had scored 3.

The fact is we are where we are and part if that reason is Baldock has missed 22 chances where you would expect a competent striker to have scored at least half of them.

There is no reason to say Baldock should not be on a very minimum of 22-25 goals already this season with the chances he's had.

There's a reason Baldock's played basically every game we've played. We don't have anyone who will put the ball in the back of the net as much as he will, so maybe people should try supporting rather than constantly picking fault.

Apart from Jet obviously....

Ok. As your being pedantic, I'll repeat the question CLEARER for you as you obviously missed the understanding.

Who has scored more goals in Championship season for City.

Unreal comment Pitman played a few more games im guessing without checking,just for the record in 2 tears time who will be in the higher div,answer me then but answer will be Baldock!!

Well its all about views I guess.

Just find it odd those who have a go at our front two for missing chances, as if the chances created are delivered like Xmas presents and completly unrelated to how the two are playing.

To be honest, I can find the workrate, missed chances as frustrating as anything to. I cannot think of a City side that so consistently creates chances - I just happen to think a fair bit of that is down to Jet and Sammy themselves!

Pitman scored almost 1 in 4 for us, Baldock is close to double that, yet everyone talks about how clinical Pitman is. :facepalm::grr:

f810ef1aac7218e2c802247bf9658cd3.png

You link is inaccurate as it ignores the FACT that both Nahki Wells and Patrick Bamford have both scored more goals in this league this season.

Your stats also ignore THE FACT that Pitman played for us at a higher standard of football as all his goals were at championship level.

Pitman scored the goals that were required to keep us in the championship. Baldock contrived towards relegation.

Apart from Jet obviously....

Baldock is now joint scorer with JET. who knows who will finish the season on more.

At least Baldock wanted it today. More than can be said for JET who can seemingly do no wrong.

Much is made of Baldock's chances missed but nothing of JET who today couldn't find a team mate more often than he was dispossessed.

I'm not sure that it's a question that I can answer, if we were playing well and the rest were chipping in goals then I would be happy if he had scored 3.

The fact is we are where we are and part if that reason is Baldock has missed 22 chances where you would expect a competent striker to have scored at least half of them.

There is no reason to say Baldock should not be on a very minimum of 22-25 goals already this season with the chances he's had.

There is the conundrum.

He really could be the top scorer in the country right now. However to say that to be content with him, because of how the rest of the team is doing, he would have to be the countrys top scorer is setting the bar very high indeed.

It is very frustrating, but if we were tighter, I think we would be celebrating his winners much more than his misses.

I think...

Baldock is now joint scorer with JET. who knows who will finish the season on more.

At least Baldock wanted it today. More than can be said for JET who can seemingly do no wrong.

Much is made of Baldock's chances missed but nothing of JET who today couldn't find a team mate more often than he was dispossessed.

Apart from the FACT that Jet has scored more goals.

Apart from setting up Baldock numerous chances which he misses, of course.

There is the conundrum.

He really could be the top scorer in the country right now. However to say that to be content with him, because of how the rest of the team is doing, he would have to be the countrys top scorer is setting the bar very high indeed.

It is very frustrating, but if we were tighter, I think we would be celebrating his winners much more than his misses.

I think...

Valid point about the defence,

for me it's purely down to the chances he's missed, these are not what I consider to be half chances hence why I believe he probably should be the country's top scorer right now.

There is the conundrum.

I think...

Quite.

Bottom line is if he was scoring that many he wouldn't be playing for us!

Anyone would think we were Man City the way we think so highly of ourselves. We're propping up division 3 people, reality check.

Apart from the FACT that Jet has scored more goals despite prior to this season never being an out and out forward.

Plus the FACT that Baldock is our pen taker so would likely get a few more goals as he has.

You mention Jets passing however would you like to down the route of assists this season v Baldock Or would you rather quit now and climb out of the hole you've dug yourself.

Archived