IGNORED

Baldock Today

BITW

Apart from the FACT that Jet has scored more goals despite prior to this season never being an out and out forward.

Plus the FACT that Baldock is our pen taker so would likely get a few more goals as he has.

You mention Jets passing however would you like to down the route of assists this season v Baldock Or would you rather quit now and climb out of the hole you've dug yourself.

Why would you measure a striker on assists you clown?

I measure a striker at the end of a season on goals. SB is on course for 20+ which would be a phenomenal return given that we are looking at the real possibility of a relegation battle.

Quite.

Bottom line is if he was scoring that many he wouldn't be playing for us!

Anyone would think we were Man City the way we think so highly of ourselves. We're propping up division 3 people, reality check.

This is such an invalid argument I'm afraid....You refuse to recognise the 22 missed 1 on2s this season.

Frustrating first half performance, it has definitely become a psychological thing now (in regard to the amount of one and ones he's missed), but credit to Sam for bouncing back in the second half and scoring two important goals. Hopefully he can kick on from this now.

At the end of the day Sam and JET are on twelve goals each in the league, just three behind the overall top goalscorer.. That's not bad when considering they're both in a team that's currently 22nd place. It would surprise me if Sam ended up top goalscorer in the league if we can go on a little run. With a bit of added confidence and having the likes of Reid, Gillett and Pack in the side, he will continue to get those one on ones and if he starts converting a higher percentage of them he will be cruising.

This is such an invalid argument I'm afraid....You refuse to recognise the 22 missed 1 on2s this season.

I'm not failing to recognise them. But 22 one on ones? Give me a break, it's not that many. Suarez probably hasn't had 22 one on ones this season.

Is he as clinical as we would like? No.

But he is our joint top scorer and the only striker we have who could finish a season on 20 goals.

As someone else said he shouldn't have to score a hat trick for us to win a game.

Goals conceded have been our problem for years and that still hasn't been fixed yet.

I'm not failing to recognise them. But 22 one on ones? Give me a break, it's not that many. Suarez probably hasn't had 22 one on ones this season.

Is he as clinical as we would like? No.

But he is our joint top scorer and the only striker we have who could finish a season on 20 goals.

As someone else said he shouldn't have to score a hat trick for us to win a game.

Goals conceded have been our problem for years and that still hasn't been fixed yet.

Your right he shouldn't have to score a hat trick for us to win but that's a completely different subject.

Why would you measure a striker on assists you clown?

I measure a striker at the end of a season on goals. SB is on course for 20+ which would be a phenomenal return given that we are looking at the real possibility of a relegation battle.

No need for personal abuse.

You refered to Jets passing not me, you refered his inability to find a team mate, which is unfair considering he is top of both assists and goals this season. Striker are also based on assists.

When you compare Jet v Baldock, Jet without doubt has had a great impact on the team this season.

Baldock may or may not get 20 goals by the end of the season and he should given his reputation, however Jet will likely be on 20 goals by end of the month, whereas Baldock will be doing well still to be captain at the end of the month.

If the season finished today. Who would be top scorer.

The one thing I can't help thinking every time I see Baldock play is, if only he had Brett Pitman's killer instinct and eye for goal, to go with his pace and workrate.  

Then I remind myself that if he did, he wouldn't be with us for very long!!!

So because west ham panic bought a striker (it's what they do) he has to perform to a higher standard than anyone else in the league?

I fail to see how you can expect a striker in a team that's been as bad as we have all season to have more than Baldock does at this stage of the season.

Jet has

So because west ham panic bought a striker (it's what they do) he has to perform to a higher standard than anyone else in the league?

I fail to see how you can expect a striker in a team that's been as bad as we have all season to have more than Baldock does at this stage of the season.

Jet has

Baldock's header miss was a big blow but the one on ones weren't as simple as they might have been. Not a good angle and covering defenders made it hard for him to go across the keeper.

Scoring two out of five chances is a normal return for a striker so why people make such a big deal about it is beyond me. I said at the start of the season he'd break 20 - and only two strikers since Taylor have done that for us in the league - and he will.

JET wasn't at his best but I'd make two points. One: He still created a lot - sprung the offside trap for Baldock four times I think and started the move that led to his good chance in the first half. Two: On the two or three prominent times he lost the ball he was carrying it out of defence, with no passing options in front or level with him, and being challenged by two or three opponents together.

To be honest I think some people watch too much Premier League. You can't expect a striker to score every chance and when they've got 33 goals between them just over half way through the season complaining about either of them is complete nonsense.

He scores one and we hold onto a lead and lose momentum and end up losing three one, who's to say what would happen?

Point is, he scored two, from five chances. Missed one sitter. The one on ones weren't sitters they were decent chances but not ones you'd expect to score every time - MK Dons missed two like that as well.

Let's not mention El Abd (who was otherwise good) giving away the first goal or all three central midfielders and three central defenders letting them walk unchallenged through the middle of the pitch for the second shall we?

These quotes are far too sensible for this thread!

It's the same argument as "Well at least he's trying", it doesn't stick at all, 22 1 on 1s and to score 0 any player in any division at any level is shocking

I am not sure that is entirely fair.

It is being said he has missed 22. I have not counted them, but Its not really 0/22 is it - more like 6/28 or something.

For most forwards, I supect their scoring rate on a sample comprised solely of misses is not that great..

Has he scored any goals he had no right to? (Like JET has for example)

Not for me, so with the 22 missed 1 on 1s I believe he should be on more and City should be higher in the league.

Has he scored any goals he had no right to? (Like JET has for example)

Not for me, so with the 22 missed 1 on 1s I believe he should be on more and City should be higher in the league.

Come on list them you are mentioning this 22 one on ones he has missed. You could be right, I'd like to see this fact people keep mentioning.

Jet has

And JET is in a quality league all of his own as we know

The difference is Baldock is never a passenger. You could argue that if JET could gee himself up for every game, rather than every other game, we'd be clear of danger.

The bottom line is even the worlds best strikers miss chances. Baldock is far from that, but a return of 20 league goals, at any level, is considered an excellent return, and he is well on course for that.

If we were mid table this would be a non issue. But it's a lot easier for the unintelligent fan to jump on a striker for missing a chance than being able to recognise the defensive mistakes that lead to chances conceded

Make no mistake, it is our goals conceded that have us in the drop zone, not our lack of goals scored.

Jet 18 goals

Baldock 14 goals

So far.

How is this so difficult

I've never said JETS goal scoring hasn't been impressive. But frankly right now with our league position I couldn't care less about JPT or cup goals.

You can't expect a striker at any level to get more than 20. If we'd kept more out at the other end we wouldn't be where we are.

I am not sure that is entirely fair.

It is being said he has missed 22. I have not counted them, but Its not really 0/22 is it - more like 6/28 or something.

For most forwards, I supect their scoring rate on a sample comprised solely of misses is not that great..

The frustrating thing with Baldock is every time he finds himself in a one on one situation, he just does the same thing and blasts the ball straight at the keeper.  

You'd think he'd occasionally try to dummy the keeper and put it to his wrong side.  Any keeper watching SB will know you just need to stand your ground and he'll hit the ball straight at you!

Sam is still our joint leading scorer, but with a little composure, he could have been leading the whole division. 

And JET is in a quality league all of his own as we know

The difference is Baldock is never a passenger. You could argue that if JET could gee himself up for every game, rather than every other game, we'd be clear of danger.

The bottom line is even the worlds best strikers miss chances. Baldock is far from that, but a return of 20 league goals, at any level, is considered an excellent return, and he is well on course for that.

If we were mid table this would be a non issue. But it's a lot easier for the unintelligent fan to jump on a striker for missing a chance than being able to recognise the defensive mistakes that lead to chances conceded

Make no mistake, it is our goals conceded that have us in the drop zone, not our lack of goals scored.

And yet our defence is the best of the teams around us, our problem hasn't been losing games this season (we have lost less games than peterboro), more that we have drawn too many because we aren't turning them into wins. Strikers not taking chances.

Defence has been improved in centre weeks with two new centre Halfs who will improve when they all know each other better, yet as today showed YET AGIN certain players aren't taking their chances.

Archived