IGNORED

Baldock Today

BITW

Just another thought on Sam's view of himself as "Not someone who heads a ball a lot." That would appear to be part of his psychological make-up, how he sees himself, the sort of footballer he is. So, over comes the ball on a Saturday, and here is Sam, and somewhere in his conscious, or sub-conscious thought, Sam's telling himself, as he meets the ball with the goal at his mercy, "I'm not someone that heads the ball a lot." Woops.

So, next time Sam runs in on goal, just the keeper to beat, what is running through his mind? "I'm someone who misses these a lot," ??

Methinks Lansdown Snr might do well to invest a few bob in someone to work on the between-the-ears stuff. But someone top drawer, not one of the "League One" sports psychos. I reckon Baldock is intelligent enough, sufficiently at ease with himself, to be open to this?

Why not just drop the bloke.He has cost us dear this season.

He has got goals, and everyone seems to agree, even him, that he dould have got a few more.

So here is the thing. Given its not entirely clear who we could play as an alternative that would knock them in for fun, what is our best chance of getting the best out of him? Boo, jeer etc, or give him support, notwithstanding his weaknesses?

Regardless of how easy the chances are in your mind though Nogbad, do you seriously expect Baldock to have 26 league goals at this stage of the season? That is Messi or Ronaldo territory.

I agree that he should have "some" more as should other strikers in the world (including JET - 1st minute on Saturday anyone?) but good strikers still miss gilt-edged chances, they have done ever since I started following football & they will do long after I turn to dust.

I wouldn't have expected it at the beginning of the season Madger, but if he's had so many gilt edged chances then why not?

It's not really a question of 26 being an incredible total at this stage of the season if he's had an extraordinary number of relatively straightforward chances, which in my view he has.

There's no rule I know of that says it's somehow understandable to miss numerous chances just because you've got to double figures despite doing so.

We all know he should be on alot more. I'd be very surprised if Baldock himself is anywhere near satisfied with his clear cut chances to goals ratio, and he himself would probably admit he should be on well over 20 by now.

He's even said himself he's never before in his career been presented with the chances this City team has created for him this season, so amassing an extraordinary total by this stage would have been far from ridiculous had he been confident and on form.

By the same token it's also not beyond the realms of possibility that he will notch a further 20 in the run in (if he gets his shooting boots on) should the chances keep coming at the same rate.

Then he could end up with even more than Bob Taylor, and he'll no doubt have fired us to safety - so let's hope so!

The reality is that what you're defining as "gilt edged" and "clear cut" are merely decent chances, and if there were 22 of those plus the 14 he scored that's slightly better than most strikers do. The standard you're trying to hold him to is absurd and nobody would meet it.

The reality is that what you're defining as "gilt edged" and "clear cut" are merely decent chances, and if there were 22 of those plus the 14 he scored that's slightly better than most strikers do. The standard you're trying to hold him to is absurd and nobody would meet it.

That's your version of reality, mine is different.

There are very few who disagree that he's been exceptionally blessed with an extraordinary number of takeable chances this season - including Baldock himself.

The debate is only really about just how many more of those we could reasonably expect him to have taken.

It's not absurd at all to believe he could, and should, have taken alot more, and it seems to me that if you're content to argue his conversion rate is acceptable then your expectations of Baldock are remarkably low.

That's your version of reality, mine is different.

There are very few who disagree that he's been exceptionally blessed with an extraordinary number of takeable chances this season - including Baldock himself.

The debate is only really about just how many more of those we could reasonably expect him to have taken.

It's not absurd at all to believe he could, and should, have taken alot more, and it seems to me that if you're content to argue his conversion rate is acceptable then your expectations of Baldock are remarkably low.

the top scorer in the league has 15 goals baldock has 12, your expectations are extremely high in fact only 3 players in the world meet them currently Messi, Ronaldo and Suarez, I can't see any of those dropping down for a league 1 relegation battle,

The fact 2 players have have scored 2 thirds of our goals is the shocking thing and the fact we can't keep a clean sheet in the last 4 years is equally shocking,

But still lets pick on one of our top scorers for missing chances even though he has one of the best strike rates in the league we are in,

Bristol City trying to destroy good players since 1894

the top scorer in the league has 15 goals baldock has 12, your expectations are extremely high in fact only 3 players in the world meet them currently Messi, Ronaldo and Suarez, I can't see any of those dropping down for a league 1 relegation battle,

The fact 2 players have have scored 2 thirds of our goals is the shocking thing and the fact we can't keep a clean sheet in the last 4 years is equally shocking,

But still lets pick on one of our top scorers for missing chances even though he has one of the best strike rates in the league we are in,

"Bristol City trying to destroy good players since 1894 "and largely succeding !

One of your worst posts ever I'm afraid monkeh.

If the top scorer in this division has 15 goals then, on the chances we've witnessed, Baldock should be top scorer by some way.

Simple as that, and no one's 'picking on' Baldock, or trying to 'destroy him' - quite the opposite, the AG crowd have been remarkably supportive, as has the manager, his team mates, and everyone else, while he's displayed some nightmare finishing.

His conversion rate remains a valid discussion for this forum and there's really no need to drag down the thread with comments like the above.

It does seem it's run it's course now though - apparently discussion and opinion on Baldock's missed chances simply isn't allowed, and anyone putting forward arguments that he should have done better MUST want to drive him out of the club.  :doh: 

One of your worst posts ever I'm afraid monkeh.

If the top scorer in this division has 15 goals then, on the chances we've witnessed, Baldock should be top scorer by some way.

Simple as that, and no one's 'picking on' Baldock, or trying to 'destroy him' - quite the opposite, the AG crowd have been remarkably supportive, as has the manager, his team mates, and everyone else, while he's displayed some nightmare finishing.

His conversion rate remains a valid discussion for this forum and there's really no need to drag down the thread with comments like the above.

It does seem it's run it's course now though - apparently discussion and opinion on Baldock's missed chances simply isn't allowed, and anyone putting forward arguments that he should have done better MUST want to drive him out of the club. :doh:

To be honest I don't see the problem in having an opinion and constructive debate about it.

Can people not accept that others may have a difference of opinion without wanting 'destroy him'

What an utterly ridiculous and petulant statement.

Don't say I didn't warm you Nogbad! Soon you will be accused of forcing him out of the club ;)

To be honest I don't see the problem in having an opinion and constructive debate about it.

Can people not accept that others may have a difference of opinion without wanting 'destroy him'

What an utterly ridiculous and petulant statement.

Don't say I didn't warm you Nogbad! Soon you will be accused of forcing him out of the club ;)

Nogbad is forcing Baldock out .

When he's missing tons of one on ones for another club it Will be Nogger's fault .

Don't say you have n't been "warmed"

Feel sorry for Baldock personally. Runs his socks off every game. As hes said is just going through a bad patch atm however has still scores a decent amount of goals. Imagine how many he will get in this league when hes inform. People need to remember hes still young as well will get better.

Baldock when hes not scoring offers work rate and stretches the game with some clever off the ball runs. Same cant be said about jet who when he has an off day offers nothing. That being said we have two of the best strikers in this league the defence and midfield lets us down sadly.

Feel sorry for Baldock personally. Runs his socks off every game. As hes said is just going through a bad patch atm however has still scores a decent amount of goals. Imagine how many he will get in this league when hes inform. People need to remember hes still young as well will get better.

Baldock when hes not scoring offers work rate and stretches the game with some clever off the ball runs. Same cant be said about jet who when he has an off day offers nothing. That being said we have two of the best strikers in this league the defence and midfield lets us down sadly.

I think it's frustrating when you see SB miss chances. But I think most intelligent fans can See what a good little player he is. Remember this forum is not representative of your average fan. And there are a lot of attention seekers on here. If we can tighten up the defence, and if Jet and SB can keep scoring at the rate they have been. There is no reason we can't finish mid table.

I think it's frustrating when you see SB miss chances. But I think most intelligent fans can See what a good little player he is. Remember this forum is not representative of your average fan. And there are a lot of attention seekers on here. If we can tighten up the defence, and if Jet and SB can keep scoring at the rate they have been. There is no reason we can't finish mid table.

Quite right, defence have been shocking for far to long now, Jet & Baldock must have more goals between them than any other pairing in the division (with the possible exception of the Coventry strikers) and still plenty of moaners on here complaining

Apart from his off day Saturday that involved creating a chance for Cunningham that he should have done better with and 2 chances for Baldock that helped to spark the debate on this thread on whether he wastes too many chances.

I've seen players have good games and do less.

Apart from his off day Saturday that involved creating a chance for Cunningham that he should have done better with and 2 chances for Baldock that helped to spark the debate on this thread on whether he wastes too many chances.

I've seen players have good games and do less.

There have been games this season when its been like literally playing with one less player. I'm not saying hes a bad player there's no doubt ability wise hes the best we have. I'm just saying that his work rate is poor and his lack of movement off the ball is poor. I also think he slows down our play too much.

But as mentioned its not the strikers we should be complaining about. If we kept more clean sheets we would be in a much better position.

Like I said in another thread, if Maybard had the same service that Baldock gets now he would of bagged 20/25 already this season.

For the amount of chances he gets he is very much an a average striker IMO.

And we all know your opinion means nothing. 

PS

Sam Baldock Bristol City 18

Britt Assombalonga Peterborough United 17

Ryan Lowe Tranmere Rovers 17

Callum Wilson Coventry City 17

Leon Clarke Wolverhampton Wanderers 16

David Mooney Leyton Orient 16

Clayton Donaldson Brentford 15

Joe Garner Preston North End 15

Kieran Agard Rotherham United 13

Nicky Ajose Peterborough United 13

Chukwuemeka Aneke Crewe Alexandra 13

Jay Emmanuel-Thomas Bristol City 13

Cody McDonald Gillingham 13

Nouha Dicko Wolverhampton Wanderers 12

James Hanson Bradford City 12

Kevin Lisbie Leyton Orient 12

Franck Moussa Coventry City 12

Callum McGregor Notts County 11

Bakary Sako Wolverhampton Wanderers 11

Lee Frecklington Rotherham United 10

Danny Kedwell Gillingham 10

Moses Odubajo Leyton Orient 10

Tom Pope Port Vale 10

Marcello Trotta Brentford 10

Craig Westcarr Walsall 10

Good night xx

His quality should never have been questioned by anyone. His failure to convert chances earlier in the season was clearly more psychological than anything else. I'm glad Sam has got over that block and is now made a few people look very silly.

Leading by example, and on a side note, also one of the most articulate footballers you'll ever listen to in pre/post-match interviews.

We'll be extremely lucky to still have him next season, but hopefully he opts to stay if he continues to score in a team that is being built around him. From Cotterill's very first interview he was talking about getting the best out of Sam.

He said himself he'd never missed so many chances and should have scored many more - should Baldock himself be eating humble pie?

Criticism from fans on forums when he misses a number of sitters, unbridled adulation when he's finding the net.

That's the way of the world for strikers and goes with the territory.

Nothing more and nothing less than Baldock would expect.

Archived