IGNORED

Baldock Today

BITW

Baldock did go through a stage of missing a great deal of opportunities but was still bagging goals. Getting two but maybe being able to have shows the work he puts in and the positions he gets in to. However now, he seems to be more clinical and getting goals more regularly.

Young, very intelligent, finding his feet, leading from the front, and becoming prolific. Something we've not had since Mickey and then only saw glimpses as I still don't believe he ever worked as hard as Baldock does.

Just hope we can keep hold of him in the summer.

A lot of self-indulgent w..kers on here too!

Yep, have we gone back in time or something and Sam did not miss all those chances?

I can't be bothered to go over old ground but Sam B HIMSELF knows he should be on 30 already with the chances he's had this season.

Said it before and said it again, even the very best strikers miss good chances. SB could well finish on 25+, and for any of his earlier detractors to still be trying to defend their point is laughable. For a team who have been almost consistently relegation candidates all season to have the league's top scorer, finding 20 before mid-March is absolutely incredible, and the fact that he still gets stick beggars belief.

His GOALS to SHOTS ratio is the same as Luis Suarez, in fact it's possibly better as the football league stats are a good 2 or 3 games out of date.

I mean honestly, what more do you expect from a forward at this club?

Yep, have we gone back in time or something and Sam did not miss all those chances?

I can't be bothered to go over old ground but Sam B HIMSELF knows he should be on 30 already with the chances he's had this season.

Should be on 30? That's insane. Do you expect him to go to Brazil as well?

He'll be our first player to hit 20 league goals since Lita 10 years ago, try and be just slightly realistic.

Said it before and said it again, even the very best strikers miss good chances. SB could well finish on 25+, and for any of his earlier detractors to still be trying to defend their point is laughable. For a team who have been almost consistently relegation candidates all season to have the league's top scorer, finding 20 before mid-March is absolutely incredible, and the fact that he still gets stick beggars belief.

His GOALS to SHOTS ratio is the same as Luis Suarez, in fact it's possibly better as the football league stats are a good 2 or 3 games out of date.

I mean honestly, what more do you expect from a forward at this club?

Obviously this is a bit of an extreme example but mirrors the thought process. Michael Jordan and Babe Ruth were both up there with the most misses and most strike-outs. But they were also highest scorers and highest home run makers. Even the top players miss, it's natural. If you get into the position and bag a couple of goals every other game fans will be happy.

How can this be???  You can't possibly have such a high work rate ethic AND score goals at the same time...

Please can someone report this nonsense immediately!!!

And I notice there is some other "lazy" player down the bottom of that list who plays for Bristol City too.

Amazing we have a 30+ goal front pair, yet are closer to League Two than the championship. 

Well done Sam. I feel he is just much better at finishing the harder chance rather than the 1 on 1.

Can't knock 18 goals so far.

SC's move to place him on the wing seems to have galvanised him, perhaps because it changes the type of chances he gets, compared to previously.

Ultimately, he deserves massive credit for hitting such a large number of goals, considering the season this team has had.

Amazing we have a 30+ goal front pair, yet are closer to League Two than the championship.

Yep, anyone with half a brain can see that the issue is the number of goals conceded, and not a lack of goals scored.

Better defending and we could easily have been pushing for the playoffs and not narrowly avoiding relegation.

Sadly I can see us losing JET and Baldock in the summer, and we will struggle to score as freely as we have this year.

Fingers crossed though. A strong finish to the season and we might be able to convince them to stay beyond the summer.

The ONLY criticism - and I dont like the word criticism for last night because we all played our part in a great win - was that I would have brought Wes on a little earlier as a get out option.

There was a classic "Burns" scenario which Baldock was put clear with the entire Peterboro half - but because of tiredness and the defender being that bit quicker, Sam had to check himself, waste a bit of time and it ended up with their keeper.

Their defender would not have seen Wes for dust and he would have been clean through.

Again - feels like I am being picky there on such a good win.

The ONLY criticism - and I dont like the word criticism for last night because we all played our part in a great win - was that I would have brought Wes on a little earlier as a get out option.

There was a classic "Burns" scenario which Baldock was put clear with the entire Peterboro half - but because of tiredness and the defender being that bit quicker, Sam had to check himself, waste a bit of time and it ended up with their keeper.

Their defender would not have seen Wes for dust and he would have been clean through.

11 v 11 he would of with out a doubt in my mind, but with 10 men you need the experianced players to stay on the pitch and try an play more direct,

SoD's formations which led to so many tedious draws was perfect for last night after El Adb got sent off

Yep, anyone with half a brain can see that the issue is the number of goals conceded, and not a lack of goals scored.

Better defending and we could easily have been pushing for the playoffs and not narrowly avoiding relegation.

Sadly I can see us losing JET and Baldock in the summer, and we will struggle to score as freely as we have this year.

Fingers crossed though. A strong finish to the season and we might be able to convince them to stay beyond the summer.

Defence has been our out-and-out weak spot, but hopefully we are starting to look a little more cohesive in that area, and with players (with the exception of Maloney) who are safely under contract for several more years.

I too think we will struggle to keep either/or JET and Baldock this summer, but with that in mind, I hope the club are keeping their eyes peeled for potential replacements.  

Clearly, I would be delighted if both were here next year, but with Barnett not looking to be quite the player we all hoped, and very little other options (I don't include Burns as feel he's more a winger) up top, this could be an interesting area of transfer business at the season's end.

With Burns having put in what seems to have been a very energetic shift versus England the week prior, hence his not playing Saturday, I can understand SC reluctance to throw him on here, especially with another game Saturday.  

I can see him getting more minutes against Swindon, possibly at Baldock's expense.

I have to admit I was a huge doubter, I thought he was going to be much better than he has been but the last 6 weeks he really has dug deep and worked hard. Now he's reaping the benefits of that hard work and so are we, both at Shrewsbury and again last night he worked his socks off!

Keep it up Sam Baldock

I have to admit I was a huge doubter, I thought he was going to be much better than he has been but the last 6 weeks he really has dug deep and worked hard. Now he's reaping the benefits of that hard work and so are we, both at Shrewsbury and again last night he worked his socks off!

Keep it up Sam Baldock

He has all season.

You shouldn't talk with your mouth full.

Not sure what you mean Chivs.

Some people were rightly questioning Baldock in early January after he'd fluffed numerous gilt-edged chances.  Those criticisms, lets not forget, also came from his Manager and from himself.

Someone dragging up a thread from 8 weeks ago, to prove themselves right and vilify other people's valid opinions, is just egotistical, self-indulgent bull.

I enjoy reading this site for it's frank and open views and it's the first place I come to for general BCFC news.  However, the multitude of "See, I'm right, you're an idiot" posts is becoming incredibly tedious.  Why can't people get back to having a proper debate without resorting to vilifying anyone who doesn't agree with you.

Some people were rightly questioning Baldock in early January after he'd fluffed numerous gilt-edged chances.  Those criticisms, lets not forget, also came from his Manager and from himself.

Someone dragging up a thread from 8 weeks ago, to prove themselves right and vilify other people's valid opinions, is just egotistical, self-indulgent bull.

I enjoy reading this site for it's frank and open views and it's the first place I come to for general BCFC news.  However, the multitude of "See, I'm right, you're an idiot" posts is becoming incredibly tedious.  Why can't pehople get back to having a proper debate without resorting to vilifying anyone who doesn't agree with yo

Harry while your posts are always well educated and informed by your same rationale in regards to bringing up old posts and trying to get one up on others in regards to their viewpoint there are plenty on here guilty of that.

Remember robboreds attacks on Johnson...he would always post when we lost but would never do so when we won..

Simarlirly with cotterill the likes of timothy bird have stated that cotterill Will ruin this club and when we lose he h as stated that all city fans who wanted o'driscoll out now have what they deserve but funny enough not heard from him on here for a while. Same for kid in the riot.

Surely its time for everyone to congratulate cotterill for progress thus far...its a massive improvement..also Baldock

Harry while your posts are always well educated and informed by your same rationale in regards to bringing up old posts and trying to get one up on others in regards to their viewpoint there are plenty on here guilty of that.

Remember robboreds attacks on Johnson...he would always post when we lost but would never do so when we won..

Simarlirly with cotterill the likes of timothy bird have stated that cotterill Will ruin this club and when we lose he h as stated that all city fans who wanted O'Driscoll out now have what they deserve but funny enough not heard from him on here for a while. Same for kid in the riot.

Surely its time for everyone to congratulate cotterill for progress thus far...its a massive improvement..also Baldock

Everyone is entitled to their opinion MC Risk (even Timothy & Robbo), and it's fine for us all to debate those opinions, it's the dragging up of threads from yesteryear claiming an all to egotistical "Look, look at me, I was right, you're a dumbass" posts that are beginning to get on my wick!

As for the Cotterill thing, I made my feelings known on the 'I'm a Winner' thread and made a pact with myself not to comment on him for the rest of this season.  I'm sticking by that.

As for Baldock, yes, he should rightly be congratulated for his 18 goals this season and his overall workrate.  However, I still maintain that we wouldn't have been struggling at the bottom for so long had he finished some (not all - some), of his gilt-edged chances he was presented with from August through to January.  He acknowledged this himself, as did his Manager - so it's all rather futile people coming on here and lauding themselves, when in actual fact the critique was justified.

Also - Kid In The Riot has still been very active on here recently - perhaps, like me, he just can't be bothered typing the same stuff about SC over and again.  I think the whole forum is aware of his views - there's no need for him to play it out every game.

It's funny but the season Maynard got 20 goals, it seemed like a great effort and a hard thing to do.

Sammy on the other hand, has almost got that with 10 games to go. He has breezed to 18 league goals. Yes it's league one, but it's probably not as easy in this league as people think.

In sammy, I think we have a better striker than we did in Maynard... Date I say

I enjoy reading this site for it's frank and open views and it's the first place I come to for general BCFC news.  However, the multitude of "See, I'm right, you're an idiot" posts is becoming incredibly tedious.  Why can't people get back to having a proper debate without resorting to vilifying anyone who doesn't agree with you.

To be fair Harry, it was the OP - BITW- who resurrected this thread.

Was he 'eating humble pie'? Not sure.

Did he need to? Certainly not.

His original comments were both valid and fair.

Baldock, by his own admission, was getting more chances than he's ever had in his career and was failing to take far too many of them.

The criticism and exasperation at the time of the original post was perfectly reasonable, and we're all happy and relieved he's been doing what City signed him for much better recently.

It has to be said also that things like your most expensive player repeatedly missing schoolboy chances are naturally going to be discussed in detail on BCFC forums, but I don't remember Baldock getting anything but support while on the pitch at AG.

In fact the manager, his team mates and fans attending matches all stood by him despite some really shocking and costly misses and frankly we can all take some collective credit for his return to confidence and form.

Mc risk, I post on here most days ! I havnt gone anywhere ! as for sc , no body is more pleased than m about recent results, whatever my opinions of sc he's our manager atm so theirs no point in going round and round repeating the statistics that suit us ,and trying to score points off each other ( and I've been saying that since Las December ) if sc keeps us uo I'm more than happy to say well dine to him, we'll then move on to the next stage and see if he has, and is capable of delivering a long term plan !

Archived