IGNORED

Football Trivia

Southport Red

Hello everyone,

I am starting a Trivia website www.trivipaedia.com.  The idea is to have a kind of Wikipedia for trivia.

I would love some good football/sporting trivia.  Do any otib members have some good trivia they can share?  Please either post hear or, alternatively, you can contribute directly on the site, so to www.trivipaedia.com and click on 'submit some trivia'.

Looking forward to seeing what the community can come up with.

Thanks all.

SR

Hello everyone,

I am starting a Trivia website www.trivipaedia.com.  The idea is to have a kind of Wikipedia for trivia.

I would love some good football/sporting trivia.  Do any otib members have some good trivia they can share?  Please either post hear or, alternatively, you can contribute directly on the site, so to www.trivipaedia.com and click on 'submit some trivia'.

Looking forward to seeing what the community can come up with.

Thanks all.

SR

Apparently Ryan Taylor was originally signed by Bristol City as a striker.

Who'd have thunk it?

Eidour Gudjohnsen came on as a substitute in an international match for Iceland replacing his dad only time its ever happened.

Michael Owen has never scored more than 20 league goals in a season, despite people referring to him as 20 goal a season striker.

Ian Wright was plucked from non league for a transfer fee of: a set of gym weights

Perhaps one of my favourite is when Seth Johson signed for Leeds Utd, Johnson and his agent wanted 13k a week, before they said anything Risdale's offer was 30k a week. Johnson and his agent just looked amazed and said what? Risdale responded with. Ok then 37k a week? 

They're perhaps the most random I remember.

Dennis wise is the only player to have won the FA cup in 3 different decades. (Wimbledon x1, Chelsea x2)

Tony Adams is the only player to Captain a title winning team in 3 different decades.

The 1950 world cup is the only one not to have had a final. Instead the winner was decided by a second group (consisting of the 4 winners of the first round groups) the winner of which won the world cup.

Tottenham Hotspur is the only club in the football league whose full name ends with the letter r. (I'm assuming this is still correct- it was a few years back but I can't be bothered to check! It catches a lot of people out as they think it ends with s.)

3 Scotsman have played in Serie A. Dennis Law, Graeme Souness and (of Course) Joe Jordan.

There are also only 3 ROI players to have done so but unfortunately I can't remember one of them... Robbie Keane and Liam Brady are 2 of the 3.....

I think I am right in saying that Bristol Rovers are the only ever league side not to qualify for the 1st Round of the League Cup. One year they had one preliminary round match and they lost it, I think to Boston?

Anyone got a better memory than me.

Dennis wise is the only player to have won the FA cup in 3 different decades. (Wimbledon x1, Chelsea x2)

Tony Adams is the only player to Captain a title winning team in 3 different decades.

The 1950 world cup is the only one not to have had a final. Instead the winner was decided by a second group (consisting of the 4 winners of the first round groups) the winner of which won the world cup.

Tottenham Hotspur is the only club in the football league whose full name ends with the letter r. (I'm assuming this is still correct- it was a few years back but I can't be bothered to check! It catches a lot of people out as they think it ends with s.)

3 Scotsman have played in Serie A. Dennis Law, Graeme Souness and (of Course) Joe Jordan.

There are also only 3 ROI players to have done so but unfortunately I can't remember one of them... Robbie Keane and Liam Brady are 2 of the 3.....

Had to google it but the other Republic of Ireland player was Ronnie O'Brien!

I think I am right in saying that Bristol Rovers are the only ever league side not to qualify for the 1st Round of the League Cup. One year they had one preliminary round match and they lost it, I think to Boston?

Anyone got a better memory than me.

Perfectly true. 93rd out of 92 :D

Dennis Law once scored 6 goals in a cup match and finished on the losing side.

Had to google to check the details, but Law scored all 6 goals for Man City in an FA Cup tie v Luton in 1961, but with Man C leading 6-2 after 69 minutes the match was abandoned because of a waterlogged pitch. They started from scratch at a later date when Luton ran out 3-1 winners ( with Law scoring Man C's goal.)

There is one team in England whose name is composed entirely of vowels.

Go on. Apart from qpr (not the full name) I can't think of one. Is it non league.

Only one team has only letters that are not enclosed like e o g b q etc.

Archived