IGNORED

Football Trivia

Southport Red

Trivia?

1. Grimsby Town don't play in Grimsby, but in Cleethorpes..

2. Robert Fleck scored more goals at Stamford Bridge for Norwich (4) than he did for Chelsea.(3).

3. There have been five teams in the League with X in their name; Wrexham, Oxford, Exeter, Halifax and Crewe.

4. The fastest goal in a League game was scored by Jim Fryatt of Oldham after just four seconds!

5. The smallest League attendance ever was thirteen. Stockport's ground was closed and they had to play at....Old Trafford!

6. The biggest away win in League football is 9-1. Barnsley and P'boro' have both done it.

7. The two closest grounds are those in Nottingham.

8. Ashton Gate is nearer Griffin Park than Home Park but the London based media insist on referring to City v Plymouth as a derby fixture..

Stewart (Ipswich) Hayles (Fulham) Cureton (Gas) and one other?

EDIT: Unless Cureton had gone to Reading by then.

Zamora?

A time when they had Gary Penrice coaching their attackers, turned out one gem after another, sold them for millions, then let GP go to save a few quid.  Genius.

Trivia?

2. Robert Fleck scored more goals at Stamford Bridge for Norwich (4) than he did for Chelsea.(3).

3. There have been five teams in the League with X in their name; Wrexham, Oxford, Exeter, Halifax and Crewe.

4. The fastest goal in a League game was scored by Jim Fryatt of Oldham after just four seconds!

5. The smallest League attendance ever was thirteen. Stockport's ground was closed and they had to play at....Old Trafford!

6. The biggest away win in League football is 9-1. Barnsley and P'boro' have both done it.

8. Ashton Gate is nearer Griffin Park than Home Park but the London based media insist on referring to City v Plymouth as a derby fixture..

Re 6, Sunderland won 9-1 away at Newcastle many, many years ago. The same season Newcastle won the title.

Trivia?

10 - the most goals scored by a player in a first-class English game, by Joe Payne for Luton. I wonder who that was against...

Here's a question for you: in the history of international football, only four teams have defeated England more times than England have defeated them. Can you name them?

Brazil and Italy - yes.

Argentina and Germany - no (England v Germany is twelve wins apiece).

Two left.

Uruguay and Chile? 

Uruguay - yes.

Chile and Costa Rica - no (Chile is two wins apiece, and we've never played Costa Rica before).

The last country is one we've lost two high profile matches against in the relatively recent past.

Croatia? Portugal?

EDIT: Must be Croatia, they only came about in 94ish if I remember rightly?

Croatia? Portugal?

EDIT: Must be Croatia, they only came about in 94ish if I remember rightly?

We've beaten Croatia four times (friendly at Ipswich, Euro 2004 game in Lisbon, 4-1 in Zagreb when Walcott got a hattrick, and 5-1 at Wembley) and only lost to them twice (2-0 in Zagreb when Neville scored an OG, and 3-2 at Wembley).

Our record v Portugal is won 9, drawn 10, lost 3.

Curious about Romania. Like Holland, they're a moderately good European side and, like Holland, they had their years of glory with Haji, Petrescu and the rest...

Yes, they beat us in the 98 world cup and also in Euro 2000, and in a 1982 world cup qualifier in Bucharest. We've only beaten them twice (at the 1970 world cup and a friendly in 1939). The other six meetings have been draws.

I've got to be honest- I'm convinced England have lost more to Germany than won.

Bear in mind we had never lost to Germany prior to 1968 - most of the meetings before then were England wins, and those that weren't were draws.

Since 2000 it's 4-3 to Germany (England won in the meetings at Euro 2000, the 5-1 in Munich in 2001, and the 2008 friendly in Berlin. Germany's four wins were 1-0 at Wembley in 2000, 4-1 in Bloemfontein in 2010, 2-1 at Wembley in a 2007 friendly, and 1-0 in a friendly at Wembley last November),

And I should point out (before anyone else does) that Wikipedia says Germany lead 14-12 overall, as they count the 1990 and 1996 penalty shootouts.

The FIFA website treats 90 and 96 as draws (as I believe FIFA officially record tournament games that go to penalties as draws, for ranking points purposes), and says it's 12-12 overall.

If you want to include penalties, Germany would be a 5th team on the list.

And I should point out (before anyone else does) that Wikipedia says Germany lead 14-12 overall, as they count the 1990 and 1996 penalty shootouts.

The FIFA website treats 90 and 96 as draws (as I believe FIFA officially record tournament games that go to penalties as draws, for ranking points purposes), and says it's 12-12 overall.

If you want to include penalties, Germany would be a 5th team on the list.

Fair enough- good question either way!

Brazil and Italy - yes.

Argentina and Germany - no (England v Germany is twelve wins apiece).

Two left.

Uruguay - yes.

Chile and Costa Rica - no (Chile is two wins apiece, and we've never played Costa Rica before).

The last country is one we've lost two high profile matches against in the relatively recent past.

Bodes well for the summer.

Gotta be some random country we may have played only once ?

Bohemia on June 13th 1908, the match was played in Prague and England won 4-0.

Rather odd that as in 1867 Bohemia had become part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire.

In 1918 it became part of the new state of Czechoslovakia.

Archived