IGNORED

Football Trivia

Southport Red

Joe Baker was the first footballer to play for England despite never having previously played in any of the English leagues - born in Liverpool of Scottish parents, moved to Scotland and played for Hibs.  Whilst there, he was selected to play for England v N. Ireland in 1959 and in doing so also became the first player to be picked for England whilst playing for a club outside of the English league system.

Incidentally, one other player has been picked to play for England despite never having previously played in any of the English Leagues. His name ...

Owen Hargreaves

Who was the first goalkeeper to save a penalty in a FA cup final?

What player has scored for the most number of premier league clubs?

Dave Beasant?

Alan Shearer?

Dennis wise is the only player to have won the FA cup in 3 different decades. (Wimbledon x1, Chelsea x2)

Tony Adams is the only player to Captain a title winning team in 3 different decades.

The 1950 world cup is the only one not to have had a final. Instead the winner was decided by a second group (consisting of the 4 winners of the first round groups) the winner of which won the world cup.

Tottenham Hotspur is the only club in the football league whose full name ends with the letter r. (I'm assuming this is still correct- it was a few years back but I can't be bothered to check! It catches a lot of people out as they think it ends with s.)

3 Scotsman have played in Serie A. Dennis Law, Graeme Souness and (of Course) Joe Jordan.

There are also only 3 ROI players to have done so but unfortunately I can't remember one of them... Robbie Keane and Liam Brady are 2 of the 3.....

Ian "Paddy" Rush :yes:

Rush said when he was playing for Juventus that he couldn't settle in Italy because it was like living in a foreign country. :facepalm:

Dave Beasant?

Alan Shearer?

Surely not Shearer, he only played for 3 prem clubs. Andy Cole as far as I know scored for 6 prem clubs, maybe 7. I'm not sure that record goes to Cole, but certainly more than shearer.

Not by me they're not ;) and what vital security role did Wolverhampton Wanderers play during WW II ?

OK I'll answer that myself. During the Battle of Britain, suspected Nazi paratroopers were asked to say "Wolverhampton Wanderers", in the belief that their beastly Hunnish mouths wouldn't be able to cope with the two W's.

What was the fatal flaw in this test?

Who was the first goalkeeper to save a penalty in a FA cup final?

What player has scored for the most number of premier league clubs?

If its scored then Anelka has to be up there surely?

Bolton, WBA, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool and Man City..... that's 6

Edit: Darren Bent also has played for 6 clubs and scored for them in the Prem....Ipswich, Spurs, Charlton, Sunderland, Aston Villa and Fulham.

When Duncan Edwards signed for Man Utd the signing on "fee" was a new washing machine for his mother.

Bristol City, although an English club, won the Welsh cup in 1934.

Bristol City's first floodlights were designed and built by the chairman's own company. (Harry Dolman - Brecknell Dolman & Rodgers)

If its scored then Anelka has to be up there surely?

Bolton, WBA, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool and Man City..... that's 6

Edit: Darren Bent also has played for 6 clubs and scored for them in the Prem....Ipswich, Spurs, Charlton, Sunderland, Aston Villa and Fulham.

plenty have scored for 6. Barmby marcus bent les ferdinand to name a few. Have to find someone who has scored 7. Not sure there is one that scored 7 andy cole maybe? Newcastle, Man u, blackburn man city, portsmouth, birmingham, Sunderland. Dunno if he scored for brum though

Edit ignore this. Just checked, brum was in the championship.

plenty have scored for 6. Barmby marcus bent les ferdinand to name a few. Have to find someone who has scored 7. Not sure there is one that scored 7 andy cole maybe? Newcastle, Man u, blackburn man city, portsmouth, birmingham, Sunderland. Dunno if he scored for brum though

Edit ignore this. Just checked, brum was in the championship.

Ah fair enough, I'm not old enough to remember some of them in their prime   ;)

Archived