IGNORED

The Official City V Nylons Match Thread

Aizoon

Yeah, I'm in no way defending the previous Manager and his poor record - it is quite indefensible.  But, had Fielding not had that mad moment v Bradford, Fonts not effed up a simple ball over the top v Cov, Baldock slotted into an empty net away at MK, Balders again put his chance away at Gills, Flint not passed it to Lee Hughes at Vale, Waggy not unnecessarily bundled over his man in injury time at Crewe then SOD might easily have had an extra 10 points on the board and things looking healthier.

I've mentioned many times during Sod's reign how the player errors were telling - and that it was the more experienced players making these errors, but it was a futile argument according to most on here.

All's I'm now suggesting is that the anti-Sodites bleated on and on about Sod being responsible and yet now all we're hearing from the Cotterettes is how the players individual errors are to blame, when in actual fact, the situation is exactly the same - ergo, was a change at the top necessary?

Folks on here can't have it both ways - either the players are at fault or the manager is at fault, not one or the other depending on who you like.

The reason people will forgive Cotterill more easily than O'Dreary is he's got a personality and we are playing football which is 10 times as attractive, win or lose.

That's not having it both ways mate that's having what we want, entertainment.

I would have ditched my season ticket if O'SafetyFirst had stayed.

And this is where the anti-Sodites and Cotterettes will be seen to be hypocritical.

SOD came in half way through a transfer window with no funds provided to him, with a team in 24th place and 20 games remaining.

Cotts came in 4 weeks before a transfer window, with funds being promised, with a team in 23rd place and 28 games remaining.

The anti-Sodites blamed SOD for our relegation last season.

If we get relegated this season, the Cotterettes will still blame SOD, even though he has taken over a team better placed, with 8 more games and more funds available.

I placed significantly more blame on McInnes last season than SOD, and was absolutely behind him this season.

By the same logic, if we go down I'll believe it will be more SOD's fault than Cotterill's, though SC has had more time to correct course.

I think if we don't beat/lose Carlisle it will indicate... ummm.... that we're in trouble.

What a bizarre statement.

Sorry, it will further indicate/HIGHLIGHT we are in trouble.

As a measure of progression/regression one return fixture in isolation means absolutely shite all.

And this is where the anti-Sodites and Cotterettes will be seen to be hypocritical.

SOD came in half way through a transfer window with no funds provided to him, with a team in 24th place and 20 games remaining.

Cotts came in beginning of December, with funds being promised, with a team in 23rd place and 28 games remaining.

The anti-Sodites blames SOD for our relegation last season.

If we get relegated this season, the Cotterettes will still blame SOD, even though he has taken over a team better placed, with 8 more games and more funds available.

Not all 'anti Sodites', as you call them, are confirmed 'Cotterettes', as you (somewhat strangely) call them, many of us are keeping our powder dry and watching his progress closely, hoping to be persuaded he is the right man.

Seeing the team showing heart, fight and real passion is what many of us will need to see to become 'Cotterettes', and if he gets that response regularly we'll hopefully be - just about -  alright.

If we go down again with a similar lack of fight to that displayed by SO'D's team I doubt you'l find one poster on here defendiing Cotterill.

Sorry, it will further indicate/HIGHLIGHT we are in trouble.

As a measure of progression/regression one return fixture in isolation means absolutely shite all.

Don't agree.

If we're unable to beat teams we previously have, even with the added advantage of being at home and a transfer window to strengthen sine, then we are clearly a worse team.

Not sure where the confusion is there.

The reason people will forgive Cotterill more easily than O'Dreary is he's got a personality and we are playing football which is 10 times as attractive, win or lose.

That's not having it both ways mate that's having what we want, entertainment.

I would have ditched my season ticket if O'SafetyFirst had stayed.

I'll stick my neck out and say that Cotterill doesn't have personality.  He has bluff and bluster and very little substance.

And I will stand by that.

Not all 'anti Sodites', as you call them, are confirmed 'Cotterettes', as you (somewhat strangely) call them, many of us are keeping our powder dry and watching his progress closely, hoping to be persuaded he is the right man.

Seeing the team showing heart, fight and real passion is what many of us will need to see to become 'Cotterettes', and if he gets that response regularly we'll hopefully be - just about -  alright.

If we go down again with a similar lack of fight to that displayed by SO'D's team I doubt you'l find one poster on here defendiing Cotterill.

I'm glad you feel this way Noggers.  Believe me, many don't.  And their hypocrisy will come to bear.

For what it's worth (and I admit it may not seem that way judging by my recent comments), I also have been keeping my powder dry and hoping to be persuaded he is the right man.  I'm not seeing it so far though, but I'll keep looking.

I'll stick my neck out and say that Cotterill doesn't have personality.  He has bluff and bluster and very little substance.

Never said he has substance Harry, honestly don't know. But bluff and bluster is at least more interesting than the shite from O'Boring.

I'd argue the crap from O'Bluster-Driscoll was bluster, he said we were going to do this and that but it would take years "because of the years of under achievement". **** me forget the excuses in advance just get on with it - Crawley are above us for ***** sake.

And the football is infinitely better, surely you agree that? If not you need to watch an O'CoverMyAssWithBollocks game sober mate.

I dont agree Nick J but respect your opinion. And nogbadI think we did see evidence of it. I dont question his lack of personality or lack of inspiration he lacked both this by the boatload

I think SO'D spoke a good game tiz, but not too much evidence on the pitch.

In the final analysis he was damned by the team's appalling record under his management.

Imo he didn't have alot going for him from what we saw, however tactically astute he may have appeared from his programme notes etc, he was clearly incapable of putting it into practice at AG - similar to the brick wall he hit at Doncaster.

Never said he has substance Harry, honestly don't know. But bluff and bluster is at least more interesting than the shite from O'Boring.

I'd argue the crap from O'Bluster-Driscoll was bluster, he said we were going to do this and that but it would take years "because of the years of under achievement". **** me forget the excuses in advance just get on with it - Crawley are above us for ***** sake.

And the football is infinitely better, surely you agree that? If not you need to watch an O'CoverMyAssWithBollocks game sober mate.

You know I can never watch sober mate!! :drunk2:

I will agree that the games v Stevenage & MK Dons were both entertaining.  But so was the home game v Bradford, and the one v Orient, and the one away at Cov.  All very entertaining games I thought.  And the one away at MK.  And away at Carlisle.

The 2 games this week seem to have been entertaining more for the fact that the opposition were much better than us and could score at will.

I think SO'D spoke a good game tiz, but not too much evidence on the pitch.

In the final analysis he was damned by the team's appalling record under his management.

Imo he didn't have alot going for him from what we saw, however tactically astute he may have appeared from his programme notes etc, he was clearly incapable of putting it into practice at AG - similar to the brick wall he hit at Doncaster.

Not being backed by the owner from DAY ONE probably didn't help.

I don't know, but bluff and bluster may just be enough to inspire the players to fight for this club whereas someone sniffing miserably and bigging up our opponents looked very unlikely too.

Suggest we revisit this ' lack of personality' business you've picked up on at the end of the season, because he'll certainly have to display one to the players to keep this City side up.

As a fan, and for what it's worth my observation is he seems to have 10x the positivity, and personality of his predecessor.

You know I can never watch sober mate!! :drunk2:

I will agree that the games v Stevenage & MK Dons were both entertaining.  But so was the home game v Bradford, and the one v Orient, and the one away at Cov.  All very entertaining games I thought.  And the one away at MK.  And away at Carlisle.

The 2 games this week seem to have been entertaining more for the fact that the opposition were much better than us and could score at will.

Any entertainment under O'Negative was in spite, not because of him.

I'll see you with the games you mention and raise you with the home games against Shrewsbury, Colchester, Sheff Utd, Brentford, Crawley, all of which were dire. The home games against Oldham, Peterborough, Bradford and Wolves were entertaining purely because the opposition played decent football and we didn't.

I personally don't want bollocks about how it will take 5 years to learn how to be a club playing the right way, I could be dead by then. O'Dozy was sending this club to sleep and I cannot fathom how anybody could defend him!!

The ball is now being zipped around under Cotterill with purpose. Whether its bluff and purpose, at least the bloke is having a go.

The football in general has not been much better. If you compare the 2 MK Dons games, there was little difference in quality and perhaps we deserved to win more in the away game.

Tonight was pretty poor. Barnett missed a good chance when we were at 1-1 but after they got the 2nd it was a shocker from City. Don't think we created another chance all evening. Yes we were playing top of the league but to play so poorly was disappointing. At least make it tough for them.

I think Cotterill was saving JET for Saturday - big gamble that needs to pay off. I didn't like the guy before I came and haven't seen much from him so far to suggest he will be good long term for us but happy to be proved wrong. We swapped managers at a crazy time and I can't see that it has helped us much.

The signing of El Abd was pointless especially when the defence looked more solid. Now it looks terrible again.

If we don't win Saturday then I think we are pretty much down - will be a long long way back anyway especially when you aren't winning games very often...

The football in general has not been much better. If you compare the 2 MK Dons games, there was little difference in quality and perhaps we deserved to win more in the away game.

Tonight was pretty poor. Barnett missed a good chance when we were at 1-1 but after they got the 2nd it was a shocker from City. Don't think we created another chance all evening. Yes we were playing top of the league but to play so poorly was disappointing. At least make it tough for them.

I think Cotterill was saving JET for Saturday - big gamble that needs to pay off. I didn't like the guy before I came and haven't seen much from him so far to suggest he will be good long term for us but happy to be proved wrong. We swapped managers at a crazy time and I can't see that it has helped us much.

The signing of El Abd was pointless especially when the defence looked more solid. Now it looks terrible again.

If we don't win Saturday then I think we are pretty much down - will be a long long way back anyway especially when you aren't winning games very often...

Thanks for the assessment Alex.

Out of interest; was El Abd actively bad, or simply part of a problematic whole?

My concern is that not only has he thrown the equilibrium out but that he, individually, isn't beginning to show any quality.

Right here's my take from tonight's game.

We actually started the game ok. For the first 15 we were on top but after it went downhill fast. The rest of the game was a non event. So poor.

Interesting team selection. Yes Osbourne scored but why square pegs in round holes from the start at RWB again? Scored a great goal to be fair.

Flint will get slaughtered for the OG but I wouldn't blame him. Shortly before he dealt with a ball very similar that Parish should have come and claimed, but no, as is always the case rooted to his line. 5mins later cross comes in, Flint can't trust him, tries to deal with it....disaster. We seriously need another keeper if Fielding is not worth another go. Parish just can't be trusted.

3 incredibly weak goals conceded again tonight and we just couldn't live with Brentford's movement. At first I thought we looked solid in a 3-5-2 under SC but we have looked anything but now the honeymoon period is over. I think El-Abd is the type of defender and character we have needed for a long time but I just don't believe he can play on either side of a back 3. He was absolutely carved to shreds first half. Admittedly Osbourne going off injured didn't help him out at all (even though he shouldn't be RWB) but time after time Brentford got in behind El-Abd and caused us an awful lot of problems down that side of the pitch. For me El-Abd either needs to play in the centre of a back 3, or as one of only 2 centre halfs, so that the full backs can tuck round and cover. I'm sure he will be a good signing for us but so far he has been horribly exposed when either side of a back 3.

For all those calling for JET to be dropped in favour of Barnett....seriously get real. This was apparently because Barnett would be 'hungry' or have a 'point to prove'....all based on a few non existing sub appearances and he's suddenly deemed fit to start over our main man? I suggest you pay a bit more attention in the future, because tonight you got your wish and it didn't work at all. I accept he's short on match practice and when fit will be a good addition but as a pair Barnett and Baldock were never even close enough. SC must have been watching a different game to me, he said Barnett 'worked his socks off for 90mins'....ummmm well Steve if that's work rate then it makes JET look like he has the work rate of Roy Keane in his prime. Barnett couldn't trap a bag of cement tonight and at 1-1 missed an absolutely glaring opportunity. He won a few good headers but hold up play very poor and didn't take any pressure off of us when needed.

The only player that can come out with any kind of credit was Marv. Purely on effort, nothing more. To be fair to Flint as well he never gave up.

Had we kept it at 2-1 until HT we may have had a chance but as per silly mistakes. The second half was gutless and as bad as I've seen all season. Absolutely no fight what so ever and apart from a snap shot from Barnett created nothing.

What worries me most is under SC I didn't think we would be so gutless and lacking fight. Hope tonight and Wolves are a one off. I personally don't buy the whole bollocks of....'oh well what did you expect' or we were 'never going to win' it doesn't excuse that tonight. We need to buck up our ideas and fast.

Right here's my take from tonight's game.

We actually started the game ok. For the first 15 we were on top but after it went downhill fast. The rest of the game was a non event. So poor.

Interesting team selection. Yes Osbourne scored but why square pegs in round holes from the start at RWB again? Scored a great goal to be fair.

Flint will get slaughtered for the OG but I wouldn't blame him. Shortly before he dealt with a ball very similar that Parish should have come and claimed, but no, as is always the case rooted to his line. 5mins later cross comes in, Flint can't trust him, tries to deal with it....disaster. We seriously need another keeper if Fielding is not worth another go. Parish just can't be trusted.

3 incredibly weak goals conceded again tonight and we just couldn't live with Brentford's movement. At first I thought we looked solid in a 3-5-2 under SC but we have looked anything but now the honeymoon period is over. I think El-Abd is the type of defender and character we have needed for a long time but I just don't believe he can play on either side of a back 3. He was absolutely carved to shreds first half. Admittedly Osbourne going off injured didn't help him out at all (even though he shouldn't be RWB) but time after time Brentford got in behind El-Abd and caused us an awful lot of problems down that side of the pitch. For me El-Abd either needs to play in the centre of a back 3, or as one of only 2 centre halfs, so that the full backs can tuck round and cover. I'm sure he will be a good signing for us but so far he has been horribly exposed when either side of a back 3.

For all those calling for JET to be dropped in favour of Barnett....seriously get real. This was apparently because Barnett would be 'hungry' or have a 'point to prove'....all based on a few non existing sub appearances and he's suddenly deemed fit to start over our main man? I suggest you pay a bit more attention in the future, because tonight you got your wish and it didn't work at all. I accept he's short on match practice and when fit will be a good addition but as a pair Barnett and Baldock were never even close enough. SC must have been watching a different game to me, he said Barnett 'worked his socks off for 90mins'....ummmm well Steve if that's work rate then it makes JET look like he has the work rate of Roy Keane in his prime. Barnett couldn't trap a bag of cement tonight and at 1-1 missed an absolutely glaring opportunity. He won a few good headers but hold up play very poor and didn't take any pressure off of us when needed.

The only player that can come out with any kind of credit was Marv. Purely on effort, nothing more.

Had we kept it at 2-1 until HT we may have had a chance but as per silly mistakes. The second half was gutless and as bad as I've seen all season. Absolutely no fight what so ever and apart from a snap shot from Barnett created nothing.

What worries me most is under SC I didn't think we would be so gutless and lacking fight. Hope tonight and Wolves are a one off. I personally don't buy the whole bollocks of....'oh well what did you expect' or we were 'never going to win' it doesn't excuse that tonight. We need to buck up our ideas and fast.

Excellent post and I agree with everything you have said.

However, the opening goal wasn't Flint's or Parish's fault as it was actually mine! Just after successfully clearing the one beforehand that you mention I decided it was a good idea to pipe up with 'at least Flint has stopped scoring own goals'. So yeah, egg on mine and I take responsibility for the own goal. Sorry everyone.

Excellent post and I agree with everything you have said.

However, the opening goal wasn't Flint's or Parish's fault as it was actually mine! Just after successfully clearing the one beforehand that you mention I decided it was a good idea to pipe up with 'at least Flint has stopped scoring own goals'. So yeah, egg on mine and I take responsibility for the own goal. Sorry everyone.

Haha good honesty mate. We've all done it.

Even if he didn't nudge it past Parish we would have more than likely gone onto get beat.

Cashley wasn't a brilliant keeper but is one of the few who has scored a goal from a kick inside his own box and at that time the whole team worked together at the moment there is a culture of  too much panic within the defence no one trusts each to give a controlled pass to let our midfield get on with their job and this is not  a dig at S C  its been going on for at least 2 if not 3 seasons how many clean sheets have we kept over that time ? Not many we walk out of A G  with a good feeling if we have and that hasn't been many

Don't agree.

If we're unable to beat teams we previously have, even with the added advantage of being at home and a transfer window to strengthen sine, then we are clearly a worse team.

Not sure where the confusion is there.

In August we conceded two to Bradford, but a few weeks ago, away from home, they were restricted to just one goal.

Our defence must have improved therefore....

Archived