IGNORED

The Official City V Nylons Match Thread

Aizoon

Had a bad last two games, and we missed Pack Saturday.

I think Pack is one of the best players we have, but people don't give him enough credit. He is very much like Cole Skuse, a player who does all the dirty, unnoticed work, until he doesn't get played. The two games we have lost under SC, he hasn't played in both. Also, he is the only player, who comes and collects the ball from defense, and will turn a defense into attack.

In this formation, with little width, I hope we see more of Pack's offensive game, rather than him being asked to mop up in front of the defence; that should be Elliott's role tonight.

I think Pack is a good player who we've yet to see the best of, but he's not naturally inclined to be played so far down field; it hobbles his game.  

Hope tonight is an opportunity for him to impose himself more.

Agreed. Honestly in disbelief at people being happy at our top scorer, top assist maker and all round best player left out

Yup.  

I can understand people wanting to see players bust a gut, but JET's ability to drag us back into games with assists and goals is not something simple effort can replace.

Whilst I think this a dangerously poor selection, I'm totally unsurprised by it given SC's comments.

He clearly doesn't rate Maloney, and is shoehorning Osborne into the side following El Abd's arrival. I think it's likely El Abd would have been basically guaranteed First Team football.

Reid can't play two games in a week, so is "rested".

W.Elliott is 35 and likely can't play two games in a week, so is saved for Saturday when he'll have trained with our squad a bit.

M.Elliott and Pack are selected to "toughen us up" in midfield a little bit. I don't think it will work personally, but I reckon that's the theory. For what it's worth I think Marv gets a bit of unfair stick from some. He'll be energetic and break up or disrupt their play, although we all know he can't really pass for toffee. 

i don't think JET being left out is anything other than being rested, as others have said, if a serious bid had come in he wouldn't be in the squad. We'll miss his creativity/goals/assists and the space he creates for others.

I think the whole selection is SC trying to make us a little more physical, which of course has meant we'll sacrifice creativity. Set pieces are our best bet for a goal.

Agreed. Honestly in disbelief at people being happy at our top scorer, top assist maker and all round best player left out

I just hope there isn't anything else to it? Due to Reid also being left out I don't think there is as it's clearly a more direct approach.

Staggered that some are happy at JET being left out. Nothing amazes me with BCFC though.

Whilst I think this a dangerously poor selection, I'm totally unsurprised by it given SC's comments.

He clearly doesn't rate Maloney, and is shoehorning Osborne into the side following El Abd's arrival. I think it's likely El Abd would have been basically guaranteed First Team football.

Reid can't play two games in a week, so is "rested".

W.Elliott is 35 and likely can't play two games in a week, so is saved for Saturday when he'll have trained with our squad a bit.

M.Elliott and Pack are selected to "toughen us up" in midfield a little bit. I don't think it will work personally, but I reckon that's the theory. For what it's worth I think Marv gets a bit of unfair stick from some. He'll be energetic and break up or disrupt their play, although we all know he can't really pass for toffee. 

i don't think JET being left out is anything other than being rested, as others have said, if a serious bid had come in he wouldn't be in the squad. We'll miss his creativity/goals/assists and the space he creates for others.

I think the whole selection is SC trying to make us a little more physical, which of course has meant we'll sacrifice creativity. Set pieces are our best bet for a goal.

Have we scored more than one of these this season?  Because God help us if that is true.

What were we told by Pompey/County/Forest fans?

"Expect to see your talented players replaced by physical players that try a lot and you'll only score from a set piece" or something along those lines. Hope to **** this comes off because he's set us up to play with no creativity at all

You obviously did not go to Wolves then, as he was our best player by a clear mile, and looked the only one who wanted to put a shift in.

No, but i've seen plenty of him in the last few seasons and generally been a spent force.

If we we're decent he wouldn't be getting a look in.

One reason why we are where we are.

OK, but a championship midfielder who has made 18 appearances ,albeit at 35, should still be walking straight into this side.

May be, just may be a player who joined us at midday today might not be a logical starter?

He'd hardly know his team mates' names, let alone their pluses and minuses.

Yeah you would have thought so. Strange thinking from SC tonight. Hope it works though.

Cotterill would have worked with the team for the last couple of days, Wade Elliott only signed early afternoon so would not have worked at our system. Will be in on Saturday i would imagine along with Reid and JET. Having seen Brentford's pitch on Friday night it was really heavy and bobbly, not a pitch where JET and Reid would be at there best on but i do agree it is a big risk.

I'm going to give the opposite opinion to the majority of the posters. I think this is a good team selection!

Although I rate JET, this doesn't mean I feel he has to be selected for each game. Even top teams in the Premiership rotate players and operate on the. " horses for courses" principle. IMO, in this game, City need to be able to break at speed from defence. A lot of posters seem to have forgotten Barnet's performance earlier in the season and have dismissed him as a good player. To me he is the ideal player for this sort of game on a heavy pitch.

I'm going to give the opposite opinion to the majority of the posters. I think this is a good team selection!

Although I rate JET, this doesn't mean I feel he has to be selected for each game. Even top teams in the Premier League rotate players and operate on the. " horses for courses" principle. IMO, in this game, City need to be able to break at speed from defence. A lot of posters seem to have forgotten Barnet's performance earlier in the season and have dismissed him as a good player. To me he is the ideal player for this sort of game on a heavy pitch.

I'm with pongo. I think it may be somewhat agricultural but the team probably matches the conditions and could pull it out the bag. 

Archived