IGNORED

Bristol City Vs Sheffield Utd Match Thread

You Do The Dziekanowski

Our fans today were superb,if only the players had the same passion

Fair play to those who went, well done.

Re our position, the best we could have expected today was a point but in reality we haven't lost a great deal - there are plenty of winnable games remaining and let's hope we can get enough to get over the line, tough times but stay with us, our club needs us.

He took over a shambles from that last idiot.

Just back from Sheffield and re-living the game via OTIB - how sad is that!

Got to respond to this tho'. You have raised the matter of our former manager, so I'll bite.

I couldn't disagree with you more if you'd said we should play in blue next season!

I've been to most away games this season and I've got to say that under SOD we were anything but a shambles. We generally looked organised, we were hard to beat (never lost by more than the odd goal, we had players who had been brought in to do a job that they were suited for, they looked like they knew what to do, and what the plan was. I'm looking back at some of those games: Coventry - early on some shocking defending, but we fought back and it was a great game to watch. MK Dons - some great football from City, and enough chances to have won easily. Soton - great performance - matched a Prem outfit. P Vale - very disciplined, should have won. Crewe - not the best, but at a time when the priority was to stop conceding and to stop making silly mistakes we came within a whisper of a 0-0. Carlise - lost the plot first half, but completely back on track second and the players knew what to do. Tranmere - again, organised, good shape, good point. And at all these games I felt that the team selections made sense, the substitutions made sense, what we were trying to do made sense, and the players understood that. And, for the first time in ages, I was really enjoying away trips again.

Contrast that with Wolves, Brentford, Oldham, and now today. Today was a shambles. We had no shape. We played our two best centre backs as full backs. Our in form striker out in the wing. Baffling substitutions, players who looked like they didn't know what they were supposed to be doing - and certainly had no idea what the plan was.

However, you cant entirely blame either manager for today - either Sean's legacy or Steve's line up today. The fact is that the bulk of our side was recruited by a manager who had a certain style of play: possession, passing, technical. Now that squad's been inherited by a manager with a totally different style - speed, quickness, running, challenging for everything - but the players don't necessarily have those strengths and they've been coached something different for most of the season. Not surprisingly they look lost. We've got players who can play the Arsenal way being asked to play the Wimbledon way.

It's a bit like I start up a building form and recruit a head plumber and a load of apprentices, train them up as plumbers, coach them as plumbers, then sack the manager, appoint a carpenter in his place and tell him to run it as a carpentry business - then wonder why they struggle!

Today was pathetic: others have said enough about it. It was also a sharp contrast to how enjoyable those games above were. My emotions today were a mixture of boredom, anger and embarrassment.

I'm becoming more and more convinced that the boards decision in November to abandon their strategy for taking the club forward in the longer term was the worst decision in the 50 years I have been following City.

Interesting post ID - would happily add Swindon to that. It really did feel we were about to hammer somebody. Just a series of almost laughable mistakes costing us point after point, but we were competitive. Really felt we just needed maybe a little tinkering, some confidence, and heck, a little luck! Equally some poor efforts at home.

We then not only decided to bring in a new manager, but it is clear now one with a completly different approach. I had assumed he would bring in some confidence and self belief, a bit of fiddling, and we would be ok.

Fact is we are were we are. The only chance we have of staying up is with the current manager, as we are not going to change again this year. Just feels really deppresing right now. With the exception of Orient, we have been as poor for a run of games now as we have been all season. Looks grim.

Just back from Sheffield and re-living the game via OTIB - how sad is that!

Got to respond to this tho'. You have raised the matter of our former manager, so I'll bite.

I couldn't disagree with you more if you'd said we should play in blue next season!

I've been to most away games this season and I've got to say that under SOD we were anything but a shambles. We generally looked organised, we were hard to beat (never lost by more than the odd goal, we had players who had been brought in to do a job that they were suited for, they looked like they knew what to do, and what the plan was. I'm looking back at some of those games: Coventry - early on some shocking defending, but we fought back and it was a great game to watch. MK Dons - some great football from City, and enough chances to have won easily. Soton - great performance - matched a Prem outfit. P Vale - very disciplined, should have won. Crewe - not the best, but at a time when the priority was to stop conceding and to stop making silly mistakes we came within a whisper of a 0-0. Carlise - lost the plot first half, but completely back on track second and the players knew what to do. Tranmere - again, organised, good shape, good point. And at all these games I felt that the team selections made sense, the substitutions made sense, what we were trying to do made sense, and the players understood that. And, for the first time in ages, I was really enjoying away trips again.

Contrast that with Wolves, Brentford, Oldham, and now today. Today was a shambles. We had no shape. We played our two best centre backs as full backs. Our in form striker out in the wing. Baffling substitutions, players who looked like they didn't know what they were supposed to be doing - and certainly had no idea what the plan was.

However, you cant entirely blame either manager for today - either Sean's legacy or Steve's line up today. The fact is that the bulk of our side was recruited by a manager who had a certain style of play: possession, passing, technical. Now that squad's been inherited by a manager with a totally different style - speed, quickness, running, challenging for everything - but the players don't necessarily have those strengths and they've been coached something different for most of the season. Not surprisingly they look lost. We've got players who can play the Arsenal way being asked to play the Wimbledon way.

It's a bit like I start up a building form and recruit a head plumber and a load of apprentices, train them up as plumbers, coach them as plumbers, then sack the manager, appoint a carpenter in his place and tell him to run it as a carpentry business - then wonder why they struggle!

Today was pathetic: others have said enough about it. It was also a sharp contrast to how enjoyable those games above were. My emotions today were a mixture of boredom, anger and embarrassment.

I'm becoming more and more convinced that the boards decision in November to abandon their strategy for taking the club forward in the longer term was the worst decision in the 50 years I have been following City.

Great Post fella.

I'd also add that during our barren spell under Sod, I hardly heard (if at all) any criticism toward the 'attitude' of the players.  There were many comments as to their ability but never was their attitude or professionalism brought into question.

What we've seen since mid-January are more and more people questioning the players' professionalism, attitude, desire etc.

So yes, whilst results weren't great up until mid-October, the performances were generally ok and we were always 'in' games.  Now, we are getting a host of poor performances and are being resoundingly beaten in games, and the players no longer seeming to be motivated.

Sod was supposedly NOT a big motivator according to a lot of people, whilst SC is paraded as this huge motivator.

Seems the players recently aren't as motivated and 'up' for it as they were earlier in the season.  That doesn't bode well.

Well unfortunately it seems that people in the club went on their personal likes and dislikes too. If we took on todays equivalent to Brian Clough they would probably sack him for speaking his mind if it was criticism aimed at them. After all the most important talent for a manager is to be the kind of guy you could invite around for tea, isn't it?

No, the most important talent is being able to manage a football team. When you comprehensively fail at that, having an affable personality is some consolation.

Great Post fella.

I'd also add that during our barren spell under Sod, I hardly heard (if at all) any criticism toward the 'attitude' of the players. There were many comments as to their ability but never was their attitude or professionalism brought into question.

What we've seen since mid-January are more and more people questioning the players' professionalism, attitude, desire etc.

So yes, whilst results weren't great up until mid-October, the performances were generally ok and we were always 'in' games. Now, we are getting a host of poor performances and are being resoundingly beaten in games, and the players no longer seeming to be motivated.

Sod was supposedly NOT a big motivator according to a lot of people, whilst SC is paraded as this huge motivator.

Seems the players recently aren't as motivated and 'up' for it as they were earlier in the season. That doesn't bode well.

Always 'in' games, Harry? I can't remember that when Peterborough tore us a new one at AG, or when we looked sub L2 versus Wycombe - to say nothing of the abject failures last season.

Now I know you rated Sean and don't like Steve, but your problem is you over-egg your arguments and look on the SOD era with the old rose-tinted bifocals.

I respect your POV but don't overdo it.And let's try to suggest how we can get out of this quagmire, eh?

Always 'in' games, Harry? I can't remember that when Peterborough tore us a new one at AG, or when we looked sub L2 versus Wycombe - to say nothing of the abject failures last season.

Now I know you rated Sean and don't like Steve, but your problem is you over-egg your arguments and look on the SOD era with the old rose-tinted bifocals.

I respect your POV but don't overdo it.And let's try to suggest how we can get out of this quagmire, eh?

Yep, we were always 'in' games with P'boro being the only exception.  That was the ONLY game we lost by a margin of more than 1 goal.  We are now being beaten convincingly and are very much 'out' of games.

I'm not trying to over-egg it Robbo, it's what I genuinely believe.  As Italian Dave's post pointed out, in all bar the P'boro game, we could have got something with a bit more luck, concentration, composure etc.  In recent games under SC, we are nowhere near.

Sorry Robbo, forgot to answer this bit in my last post.

How do we get out of it?  Well, for starters, drop El Abd.  Play 2 of Osborne, Flint & Williams as 2 CB's.  Play Cunningham at LB.  If he doesn't like Moloney (clearly not), then go out and loan a genuine RB.  Drop Barnett and put Baldock back up top.  START with 2 wingers in home matches.

How's that for starters?

Yep, we were always 'in' games with P'boro being the only exception. That was the ONLY game we lost by a margin of more than 1 goal. We are now being beaten convincingly and are very much 'out' of games.

I'm not trying to over-egg it Robbo, it's what I genuinely believe. As Italian Dave's post pointed out, in all bar the P'boro game, we could have got something with a bit more luck, concentration, composure etc. In recent games under SC, we are nowhere near.

Not so sure about that H, could've but didn't - therein lies the problem. But we'll leave it there as no point going over the same ground.

I must say I am indebted to your knowledge of youth and non-league players out there. No way do I have the time to keep up with football much outside of the depressing world of BCFC at the minute.

Not so sure about that H, could've but didn't - therein lies the problem. But we'll leave it there as no point going over the same ground.

I must say I am indebted to your knowledge of youth and non-league players out there. No way do I have the time to keep up with football much outside of the depressing world of BCFC at the minute.

To be perfectly honest, this is the only thing which is keeping me interested in football these days!  I've lost complete touch with the Premier League over the last couple of seasons and actually hate watching it now.  Keeping my eye on the lower leagues and youngsters is my passion now.

@havanatopia, @29AR

I know it's tough being a city fan at the moment, but can't you see you're making the same mistake that we've made for the last 5 years (if not longer)?

By continually telling yourself that all this would've been avoided if only we'd appointed that manager or bought that player you're perpetutating the myth that just that one simple change will solve our problems. And all the evidence tells us this isn't true!

This is called cognitive bias and it's why people continually repeat the same course of action and expect a different result even though the evidence suggests that the outcome will be exactly the same.

The club is very low on confidence (not just on the field, look at the operations screw ups...) and is feeling unloved and lonely. What it needs is stability and a sense of self belief again.

The latter will come as soon as they put some results together but the former certainly won't if we sack another manager and reset again.

You are completely mis-reading my posts; I am not advocating the sacking of Cotts, I did not advocate the sacking of SO'D and i do not recall shouting from the parapet asking for McInnes to go either. Millen, on the other hand, I did for sure but GJ no.

What I am consistently saying is that the board and owner of this football club have made rather naive errors from the day GJ left the club that are pretty plain and clear to see and they keep making them almost as if on some self destruct crusade.

In the event we stay up this season it will be by as much luck as strategy from a man who can talk the talk but is yet to prove he can walk the walk.

I couldn't agree more. I can sort of understand them panicking when they sacked Delboy, after all they had entrusted the new strategy to a comparatively unproven Manager and it appeared to be backfiring. To then do the same with a manager who had done this before successfully at this level, just when things appeared to be turning the corner was shocking. 

I have been part of this forum since the Danny Wilson era and can't remember how many posts on this forum over the years have bemoaned the use of journeymen players and our poor return from the youth policy, but it must be in the hundreds, if not thousands, yet this appears to be a policy they were all too readily keen to return to. 

I could understand it if this was a decision made purely football reasons ( I could understand it but I would have still disagreed with it), but when SL used that away fans forum a few weeks basically say it was because the Manager was a bit miserable, I lost all confidence in there ever being a sensible decision made by this lot again.

Clubs like Southampton and Swansea realised that their only real possibility of competing at the highest level,was through a coherent policy that ensured consistency of approach even when the personnel was changed, Their boards have had the bravery to stick to that approach even when there were setbacks, and (in the case of Southampton in particular) probably under immense fan pressure, Thanks to FFP the Lansdown millions are not much use to us now from a playing side perspective, what we need is someone capable of making good football decisions as well as business ones.

Been looking at another SU forum - s24su.com - another interesting perspective on yesterday, especially this. Depressing reading I'm afraid - but worth a look - and yes they do ask themselves why they hate being called "Sheffield" but keep calling us "Bristol"!:

"I also had a look at their main forum, and the atmosphere felt much like this forum did after the Crewe game. I therefore decided to have a look back and see what people were saying after they won away at Leyton Orient a couple of weeks ago.

There the similarity ended.

They are, at least, consistent in their depression. Even having just won away against a team near the top of the league, they were very down. There was the odd "credit where it's due" but generally the view was still that the team was disinterested, that they'd been lucky to win and - where most of the focus lay - that Cotterill was the main problem.

Their view of Cotterill couldn't be more different to our view of Clough. We tend to see Clough as the bright spot when things go badly, and the hero when things go well. They see Cotterill as the cause of most of their woes.

The general atmosphere is much worse than here. They sound as if they think they're down".

I thought the board was eerily quiet after the Orient game.

The usual rush of people, keen to post "Cotterill is a tvat" and "sack the board" didn't even make an appearance.

TBH in the stands and the pubs - as opposed to on here - most people I talk to haven't decided about Cotterill's competence. He has made mistakes, but it's still fairly early here and we've seen other manager's do similar. I can't say I was ecstatic at his appointment, but I haven't written him - or us - off yet. 

This was a really bad loss and Cotterill has to take his share of the blame with the players. The other recent losses were against top sides and Orient excepted, we've not been able to compete with them all season.

As others have said, round pegs in round holes is essential for our starting line-up against Gillingham. 

Great Post fella.

I'd also add that during our barren spell under Sod, I hardly heard (if at all) any criticism toward the 'attitude' of the players.  There were many comments as to their ability but never was their attitude or professionalism brought into question.

So yes, whilst results weren't great up until mid-October, the performances were generally ok and we were always 'in' games.  Now, we are getting a host of poor performances and are being resoundingly beaten in games, and the players no longer seeming to be motivated.

Seems the players recently aren't as motivated and 'up' for it as they were earlier in the season.  That doesn't bode well.

Sorry but I ain't having that. Any player worth his salt doesn't need an older bloke stood in front of them to "motivate" them. That comes from within and shows you exactly what sort of "characters" we have in that dressing room at the moment.

Sorry but I ain't having that. Any player worth his salt doesn't need an older bloke stood in front of them to "motivate" them. That comes from within and shows you exactly what sort of "characters" we have in that dressing room at the moment.

It wasn't my quote fella.  I was only stating that the 2 managers have a perception on here.  One had the perception of not motivating players, the other has the perception of being a much better motivator.

Archived