IGNORED

"i'm A Winner."

Rule The Waves

He's a winner in the sense that he seems to have brainwashed our board into handing him a 3.5 year contract for a job that his previous managerial records indicate he shouldn't have in the first place. He's also managed to get the job at a time when the club shouldn't have even been looking for a new manager, with it being one of the most ill-timed managerial appointments I've ever witnessed. Not his fault though, of course he's going to accept the offer when it's handed to him. Shame on the board for making the decision to sack a manager that had lost 1 in 7.

You reap what you sow. Unfortunately us fans are the ones that have to suffer the consequences for the board's incredibly poor decision-making.

^. ^

This.well said.

Or another way of expressing it, is a manager with the worse win ratio in City history (if you discount caretakers and Copout) who had taken just one point out of a possible six in his last two games.

We're both just using statistics to bolster arguments.

I prefer to look forwards rather than backwards. Looking backwards condemns us to walk into life's lamp posts.

Would you sack Cotterill? That would just take managerial churn to the max. The theory didn't work over at the dark side of our city.

Given that he stays, what to do next?

SOD's poor form was admittedly depressing, but I was looking forwards and not backwards when we had lost 1 in 7 (the loss being through a Flint O.G as well). We then proceeded to sack a manager who had a reputation for benefiting clubs in the long-term and replaced him with a friend of the boardroom, who has had an uninspiring career as a football manager. I usually back a manager for longer than most in recent years (Millen, Del, SOD etc), but it's incredibly hard to back a manager whose appointment I found incredibly frustrating and didn't agree with in the first place. Nothing against SC, it's the board's fault, as I've said above.

Would I want Cotterill to go? If it was down to me, I'd get rid at the end of the season because I simply do not rate him as a manager (Burnley, Pompey, Forest fans would support me on that). I'm all for a long-term plan, hence my support for McInnes and O'Driscoll, but it'd be a huge shame if we finally stuck with a manager for the long-term, only for that manager to not be a very good one. This isn't a post in the heat of the moment after today's performance, I've been saying it since SC was appointed.

SOD's poor form was admittedly depressing, but I was looking forwards and not backwards when we had lost 1 in 7 (the loss being through a Flint O.G as well). We then proceeded to sack a manager who had a reputation for benefiting clubs in the long-term and replaced him with a friend of the boardroom, who has had an uninspiring career as a football manager. I usually back a manager for longer than most in recent years (Millen, Del, SOD etc), but it's incredibly hard to back a manager whose appointment I found incredibly frustrating and didn't agree with in the first place. Nothing against SC, it's the board's fault, as I've said above.

Would I want Cotterill to go? If it was down to me, I'd get rid at the end of the season because I simply do not rate him as a manager (Burnley, Pompey, Forest fans would support me on that). I'm all for a long-term plan, hence my support for McInnes and O'Driscoll, but it'd be a huge shame if we finally stuck with a manager for the long-term, only for that manager to not be a very good one. This isn't a post in the heat of the moment after today's performance, I've been saying it since SC was appointed.

Own goals still count mate!

Well, I think - as I keep saying - it's an entirely moot point as to whether we'd be better off or not. What anyone's done in the past elsewhere doesn't mean nowt (and personally I think Sean's miracle worker rep is slightly overinflated by his fans) because - as we've seen - we've had players who were good elsewhere but then poor here.

What's fact is we're no better off than when he was sacked. And what I think is also becoming clear, is that Steve (or Keith Burt - or both) managed to muck up the transfer window and opportunities for strengthening where the side needed it.

Looking forward here, I'd shift Osbourne back in the middle and bring Moloney into his position. Rest El-Abd. Rest Jet - at least for half the game - and put Pearson into a forward midfield role. And if Kelly's available play him rather than Pack.

Dunno what you do about the keeper conundrum - none of them has exactly inspired confidence.

One of the many reasons I was horrified by the appointment of Cotterill is that he's got a long habit of saying moronic things in the press that piss the fans off and cause disruption. He's really not very bright at all.

I hope we scrape by this season, but I wouldn't bet on it sadly.

I don't understand why people or us fans would be pissed off though on this one?

He is saying we were abysmal, he is saying the players let him down - they did, he is saying the fans were superb and were let down - they were.

I thought the interview was of a pissed off manager who thought his team were appalling and let him and us down.

Which to me is honest and bang on the money??

I don't understand why people or us fans would be pissed off though on this one?

He is saying we were abysmal, he is saying the players let him down - they did, he is saying the fans were superb and were let down - they were.

I thought the interview was of a pissed off manager who thought his team were appalling and let him and us down.

Which to me is honest and bang on the money??

Sure he said we were shite which we were but he has said so many stupid things including the winner comment.

I listened to the interview and it didn't really annoy or offend me at all.

Now had he come on, said we were unlucky, the players tried or that it was the refs fault I would have been pissed off.

He didn't. He was annoyed and said the players were awful and we've got to work much harder.

I thought it was honest and exactly what I'd expect.

It was fine as interviews after shite performances go.

Now had he come on, said we were unlucky, the players tried or that it was the refs fault I would have been pissed off.

He didn't. He was annoyed and said the players were awful and we've got to work much harder.

Apparently in the radio interview he said he didn't see it coming....

A 0-3 loss? After he put in hard work on the training ground??

Why would he?

Apparently they did nothing they trained on this week.

I blame the players here.

He didn't see it coming because he didn't recognise how bad the performance was against Tranmere was last week. Apparently we were tired. Yet somehow tired old Sheff Utd managed to hammer us today.

I'm not saying the players shouldn't take any blame but the manager should too. I prefer not to have to hear how bad we were from a manager. He should tonight be saying how we took advantage of a tired Sheff U side like Tranmere did to us last week.

still doesnt know his best team or formation, which is embarrassing. Two central defenders at full back who for me are the best two cb's.

What amazes me is the part time understanding the players have of each other. For me JET didn't even bother turning up, El-Abd was all over the place leaving the opposition unmarked and hoofing the ball about as much as Fontaine. In fact we left the whole of their team completely unmarked with about 3 shots on target all game.

Just listened to his interview, looks like he's about to burst into tears

It looked like pure frustration and thinly disguised rage to me.

Fairly clear the interview followed immediately after a very frank exchange of views in the dressing room.

If he's telling the interviewer the performance was abysmal he certainly won't have minced his words with the players just beforehand.

A bit of a GJ hand grenade moment by the looks of it and a number of players will have been left in no doubt how unacceptable their performance was - and quite rightly by the sound of it.

Exactly right.

We want straight talking and honesty about our team, and the performance, and as far as I can see that's exactly what we got.

He didn't pull any punches and said it exactly as the fans saw it, with no excuses, so it's really hard to see why people are hammering him for that.

I must be the only one in isolation did not mind that interview - he is clearly spitting at the performance, as he should.

Nothing wrong with that interview - he was seething and just about kept it together, he cares. His reaction reminded me of someone.... Me after most games for the last few years.

There were better options out there but that's not SC's fault. The fact that SL felt Warnock and Holloway weren't the right fit tells you were that criticism should stand.

Let's look at who he's managed

Sligo Rovers - winner

Cheltenham - winner

Stoke - loser

Burnley - loser

Notts County - winner

Portsmouth - loser

Forest - loser

City - loser

5/3 in favour of loser.

Except he was successful at Burnley - at almost 4 years the longest serving manager in the Championship at the time - and certainly at Portsmouth, and kept Forest up by 10 points. Hardly a loser at any of those clubs.

As for City, he'll be judged by most on whether he keeps us up or not.

It looked like pure frustration and thinly disguised rage to me.

Fairly clear the interview followed immediately after a very frank exchange of views in the dressing room.

If he's telling the interviewer the performance was abysmal he certainly won't have minced his words with the players just beforehand.

A bit of a GJ hand grenade moment by the looks of it and a number of players will have been left in no doubt how unacceptable their performance was - and quite rightly by the sound of it.

Spot on. If his bosses are listening they will find some serious cash for loan signings. We need at least 3 real men, battlers not battlers in NOW - and Carey needs to return.

It's a great interview if you are the type of fan who is blinded by bluster.  Oooh, Steve's so angry, he must've really battered the players in the dressing room.

For those who don't have the wool so easily pulled over their eyes, it's yet another interview of a man failing to take ownership and responsibility.  Perhaps he'd like to explain using his astute tactical brain why our players are suddenly putting in performances which lack desire, motivation & professionalism.  Perhaps they either don't like or don't understand your methods?

Zero responsibility taken at any time, it's either the pitch, the wind, the tiredness or the players not doing what they're told.

Oh, when we win though, it was his excellent substitutions, or motivational half time chats that were the catalyst.

Bluff and Bluster.

Except he was successful at Burnley - at almost 4 years the longest serving manager in the Championship at the time - and certainly at Portsmouth, and kept Forest up by 10 points. Hardly a loser at any of those clubs.

As for City, he'll be judged by most on whether he keeps us up or not.

Surely, at the very least, you deserve a yellow card for "ungentlemanly use of facts on otib". Any more of that and you're off.

It's a great interview if you are the type of fan who is blinded by bluster.  Oooh, Steve's so angry, he must've really battered the players in the dressing room.

For those who don't have the wool so easily pulled over their eyes, it's yet another interview of a man failing to take ownership and responsibility.  Perhaps he'd like to explain using his astute tactical brain why our players are suddenly putting in performances which lack desire, motivation & professionalism.  Perhaps they either don't like or don't understand your methods?

Zero responsibility taken at any time, it's either the pitch, the wind, the tiredness or the players not doing what they're told.

Oh, when we win though, it was his excellent substitutions, or motivational half time chats that were the catalyst.

Bluff and Bluster.

It's just an honest interview Harry.

If you don't like him - which you freely admit you don't - you'll use his straight talking as a means to criticise him.

Which is exactly what you've done, with no good reason from what he actually said.

Oh, and if the players don't like a few home truths, that's too bad.

It's a great interview if you are the type of fan who is blinded by bluster. Oooh, Steve's so angry, he must've really battered the players in the dressing room.

For those who don't have the wool so easily pulled over their eyes, it's yet another interview of a man failing to take ownership and responsibility. Perhaps he'd like to explain using his astute tactical brain why our players are suddenly putting in performances which lack desire, motivation & professionalism. Perhaps they either don't like or don't understand your methods?

Bluff and Bluster.

Bit like Sean in that respect then Harry. Can't remember him coming out and saying he'd mucked up after his many losses. However I can recall him using the wind as an excuse on one occasion.

Tbh anyone's a mug who reads too much into these post match interviews. Before managers have time to get their heads together and really analyse the game, they have a mic pushed in their face and told to fill 5 minutes of airtime.

I thought that during the scathing examinations on here of O'Driscoll's interviews too.

It's just an honest interview Harry.

If you don't like him - which you freely admit you don't - you'll use his straight talking as a means to criticise him.

Which is exactly what you've done, with no good reason from what he actually said.

Oh, and if the players don't like a few home truths, that's too bad.

You're absolutely right Noggers, I don't like him.  Have I made that too obvious. ;)

However, you're wrong with your 3rd sentence, I am justifiably criticising his words, as he takes no responsibility when the team loses, but praises himself to the hilt when they win.  I don't like that trait in people.

I understand where he's coming from, as I thought myself a winner - as in I can't stand losing - I would constantly moan and bark at any players not tracking back or doing what they should've been. after a loss at 5 a side I would be be in a right foul mood for hours if not days, unable to understand how others could laugh and joke and not care.

I think that's what he means. He's of that type.

But could I manage a team... and be a winner in the true sense as a manager? No chance.

Steve its clearly so caught up in his own little world that he is blind to his own short comings.

Great when you want to talk yourself into a job at an interview, but the long term realty doesn't hold up and you will get found out.

I was never a fan, and although I have nothing against the bloke I blame the board -, I think he will take us down.

Archived