IGNORED

"i'm A Winner."

Rule The Waves

Other than my thread about Jay?

I have plenty of thoughts about where we go. This season is a write-off now... I don't think I'd keep Cotterill next season regardless of our league status, his signings have been poor, his coaching appears to be failing based on the evidence of our worsening performances and shambolic defending and I genuinely don't see him taking us up next season, which has to be the aim.

I'd invest in a proven coach. Someone who has a track record of improving players. I'd set out a long term plan that I would stick to no matter what pain it causes in the short term, I'd actually utilise the scouting networks available and bring in as many cheap lower league players as I could and get them coached to a high level.

In terms of keeping us up this season?

I'd like to see us get our best players playing with freedom to express themselves. I'd let our younger players play as much as possible because their attitudes have put many of the experienced players in our squad's to shame. Louis would be in the side ahead of Flint and El Abd but behind Williams and Osbourne.

Those are things id like to see, past that all I know is what's going on now is unacceptable and the new manager has not improved us at all, results or performances.

I agree with the second part of your post there - and the bit about the scouting network.

And yes,if Cotterill fails it will be because he failed to use January to strengthen where we needed it.  That said, most who trekked up to Sheffield said Wade Elliott was the one player who consistently performed and that more established team members were dire, so it's not a black-and-white picture.

If he keeps us up, I'd certainly give him more time. A sacking merry-go-round has got us nowhere - that's something that we can agree on - and given our position, he faced a hell of an uphill struggle when he joined.

Not sure I agree with this Aizoon. It's all relative. If you're playing higher quality opposition in a higher league then you should be playing them with a higher quality squad of your own.

There is something in that, but if you want a really good win ratio, bust a gut to avoid promotion. Now who does that make me think of? It's on the tip of my tongue...

Cringed as soon as I hear him say that. Anyone who calls themselves a "winner" makes me cringe. On par with saying "I never make mistakes".

He's becoming more and more like David Brent by the week

It may be easy to deride Cotterill over his 'I'm a winner' comment, but the message he was giving out was 'I ain't standing for that shit from one of my teams', which is actually quite refreshing to hear from a manager in this day and age. He looked genuinely angry at what he'd witnessed, which is no different from any of us who travelled up there and how we all felt watching it.

Whether he has the capability or the right mentality in his squad to avoid such an abject performance from happening again is questionable though.

It may be easy to deride Cotterill over his 'I'm a winner' comment, but the message he was giving out was 'I ain't standing for that shit from one of my teams', which is actually quite refreshing to hear from a manager in this day and age. He looked genuinely angry at what he'd witnessed, which is no different from any of us who travelled up there and how we all felt watching it.

Whether he has the capability or the right mentality in his squad to avoid such an abject performance from happening again is questionable though.

Well he's stood for that shit in nearly every performance since he has been here.... I don't expect any change.

Noggers - the one thing I agreed with him on was the interview immediately after his first game v Tamworth. He said that Marv was put into a deeper role because everyone knows he hasn't got the legs to be a box to box midfielder any more. The very next game (and in all subsequent games) he lets Marv do his box to box, every blade of grass performances. Ummmm, but, but Steve....you told us quite clearly and categorically he couldn't do that any more?!

In short, the selection of Marv in that position v Tamworth was his easy option to drop Pack, whom he'd not rated when previously managing him, so he didn't even want to look at him. Pack clearly made him think differently in training and forced his place back.

You haven't exactly given the bloke much of a chance in anything since he arrived have you??

Thats exactly what I heard him say.

Very honest interview 5 minutes after his players let everyone down - even he apologised for not giving a good interview because of it.

I wasn't overly impressed with his appointment and he was one of loads journeymen managers available and it would have made no difference at all if we had employed any one of the others. They are all the same.

But to pull him apart for one out of context comment is stupid.

Agree. Some of the comments are absurd criticising him.

He said exactly what I wanted.

Can't help think a lot come from people who have been against him since his first day in the job.

Well he's stood for that shit in nearly every performance since he has been here.... I don't expect any change.

I think you're exaggerating a bit there GH. He's actually overseen more wins than the past manager and 12 days ago oversaw a 3-1 away victory at a top club.

I'm not defending the performance at Sheffield U. It's unacceptable.

My first post, where you fixated on the SOD reference, was to say I don't think anyone should read too much into interviews given directly after football matches. I thought that under O'Driscoll and I think that now.

Trying to pick out phrases as sticks to beat the manager is a bit sad, frankly.

Other than my thread about Jay?

I have plenty of thoughts about where we go. This season is a write-off now... I don't think I'd keep Cotterill next season regardless of our league status, his signings have been poor, his coaching appears to be failing based on the evidence of our worsening performances and shambolic defending and I genuinely don't see him taking us up next season, which has to be the aim.

I'd invest in a proven coach. Someone who has a track record of improving players. I'd set out a long term plan that I would stick to no matter what pain it causes in the short term, I'd actually utilise the scouting networks available and bring in as many cheap lower league players as I could and get them coached to a high level.

In terms of keeping us up this season?

I'd like to see us get our best players playing with freedom to express themselves. I'd let our younger players play as much as possible because their attitudes have put many of the experienced players in our squad's to shame. Louis would be in the side ahead of Flint and El Abd but behind Williams and Osbourne.

Those are things id like to see, past that all I know is what's going on now is unacceptable and the new manager has not improved us at all, results or performances.

That is an honest and rational judgment that cannot be faulted

I disagree. There has been a massive change in effort and application from the players since SC took over from SO'D, in my opinion, but he can't completely change the negative streak that runs through this club overnight so there will still be performances like yesterday's shambles more often than we'd like.

I think you're exaggerating a bit there GH. He's actually overseen more wins than the past manager and 12 days ago oversaw a 3-1 away victory at a top club.

My first post, where you fixated on the SOD reference, was to say I don't think anyone should read too much into interviews given directly after football matches. I thought that under O'Driscoll and I think that now.

Equally, the Orient game was the only one which Cotterill has bettered the result achieved by SOD... Sean didn't get the pleasure of playing Stevenage. 

I don't disagree that it is a bit sad, but he doesn't help himself at all (Neither did SOD, who said things that would only piss some people off) and as Harry said earlier in this thread, the soundbites and interviews (Written and spoken) are the only way we can gauge a managers personality. I know that many will be like me and find unwarranted arrogance a major turn off with regard to liking a manager's personality. There's nothing worse than hearing that kind of self-adulation when quite frankly his performance at this club and the two previous clubs he has been at have resulted in vast mocking from their supporters and an unpopular legacy. 

I just wanna be clear with this, I wasn't at all enthused by his appointment, but I have actually liked some of what I've heard from Cotterill. However, judging him at this point there is nothing I would argue that he is 'succeeding' at. His transfer activity has been abysmal, his coaching has had no effect (If anything many aspects of the team have looked to be going backwards, under SOD it was individual errors that were costing us games having played well as a unit for the majority of games. Under Cotterill we're getting torn apart much more and defensively are an absolute shambles.) and tactically he still doesn't have the foggiest idea what his best team is. If we ignore SOD comparisons, personality and reputations from before (Which I admittedly have not done much) Cotterill is failing miserably here already and does not appear to be a good fit for BCFC at all.

I totally agree with you. The job here would be a poison chalice for any manager given the calibre of the squad. Steve Cotterill will have done amazingly well by just keeping us in this division. Without serious investment in the playing squad for new players I can see nothing but bottom tier football for years to come. The club has been reduced to the level of the Gas.

Equally, the Orient game was the only one which Cotterill has bettered the result achieved by SOD... Sean didn't get the pleasure of playing Stevenage. 

I don't disagree that it is a bit sad, but he doesn't help himself at all (Neither did SOD, who said things that would only piss some people off) and as Harry said earlier in this thread, the soundbites and interviews (Written and spoken) are the only way we can gauge a managers personality. I know that many will be like me and find unwarranted arrogance a major turn off with regard to liking a manager's personality. There's nothing worse than hearing that kind of self-adulation when quite frankly his performance at this club and the two previous clubs he has been at have resulted in vast mocking from their supporters and an unpopular legacy. 

I just wanna be clear with this, I wasn't at all enthused by his appointment, but I have actually liked some of what I've heard from Cotterill. However, judging him at this point there is nothing I would argue that he is 'succeeding' at. His transfer activity has been abysmal, his coaching has had no effect (If anything many aspects of the team have looked to be going backwards, under SOD it was individual errors that were costing us games having played well as a unit for the majority of games. Under Cotterill we're getting torn apart much more and defensively are an absolute shambles.) and tactically he still doesn't have the foggiest idea what his best team is. If we ignore SOD comparisons, personality and reputations from before (Which I admittedly have not done much) Cotterill is failing miserably here already and does not appear to be a good fit for BCFC at all.

I utterly agree with this.  These debates seem to inevitably collapse into SOD vs Cotterill and that muddies the water so I don't want to go down the road but Cotterill has not impressed me at all and has shown absolutely nothing that suggests to me he can find a way to lift the club and improve our fortunes.  I completely agree with how bad the transfer activity and coaching seems to be.

We've had the slight improvement of fortunes that clubs tend to get for a few games when they get a new manager but, now that has passed, there is not very much left.

Come on H, don't turn into one of those posters who makes stuff up based on your dislike of the manager. There's enough of those on here already.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7O83-WvtLw8&list=UUq_5VYwAoOvaL4lyGkwoboQ&feature=c4-overview

Fair enough Glyn.

To be honest, I never wanted to post anything about Cotterill at all, but my anger has gotten the better of me this last couple of weeks.

I make a promise now, in front you Glyn, and all other otib'ers, that I am not going to talk about Cotterill again.  I've made my position pretty clear on him and I'll rest at that.  As far as comments on SC are concerned, I'll see you all at the end of the season.

I shouldn't worry to much about Glyn, Harry. if past form is anything to go by, a couple more defeats and he'll be the biggest cotterill basher on this forum !

You've accused me of manager bashing before tim, and I suppose I'll have to ask you again, can you prove it? Show me my posts where I've bashed any of our managers. Of course, if you class me questioning their methods or team selections as bashing, well then I suppose I'm guilty. I certainly don't criticise managers based on their accents or what they put in their hair.

I'll be in Bar BS3 on Saturday if you fancy that pint.

Yes Glyn, of course I can dredge up every single post you've made using my ancient mobile phone, all I know is that last summer you pledged total loyalty to sod, and the 5pillars ,pleading for patience, and urging others to show the same, you and your little helper monkeh verbally savaged anybody who dared to disagree, ,Results went south, their was a period of silence from you, followed all to soon by your re_ emergence as sod,s biggest critic, all pleas for patience thrown out of the window, well know you've got what you want, the opposite of sod, although I expect your position to change in the near future, look up the word hypocrite,! as for your offer of a drink, I have come to the conclusion that their are very few peope who post on here that I would wish to share a drink with, and you are not one of them !

Yes Glyn, of course I can dredge up every single post you've made using my ancient mobile phone, all I know is that last summer you pledged total loyalty to sod, and the 5pillars ,pleading for patience, and urging others to show the same, you and your little helper monkeh verbally savaged anybody who dared to disagree, ,Results went south, their was a period of silence from you, followed all to soon by your re_ emergence as sod,s biggest critic, all pleas for patience thrown out of the window, well know you've got what you want, the opposite of sod, although I expect your position to change in the near future, look up the word hypocrite,! as for your offer of a drink, I have come to the conclusion that their are very few peope who post on here that I would wish to share a drink with, and you are not one of them !

:P

We should never have sacked SO'D but that's done and dusted now, I'm not particularly enthralled with SC but we need to give a manager a decent run in the job to have a chance of turning things around. This club has damaged many managers who have then gone to be successful at other clubs. Looking back, we'd probably been better off keeping either Millen or McInnes, things couldn't have been as bad as they are now.

The problem is that the players are shell-shocked. Some of them have played under six different managers here in a relatively short period of time, each one coaching differently and acquiring players to suit their style of play. The result is we've got a group of players rather than a team. The Board must allow things to stabilise even if they get worse in the short term.

We should never have sacked SO'D but that's done and dusted now, I'm not particularly enthralled with SC but we need to give a manager a decent run in the job to have a chance of turning things around. This club has damaged many managers who have then gone to be successful at other clubs. Looking back, we'd probably been better off keeping either Millen or McInnes, things couldn't have been as bad as they are now.

The problem is that the players are shell-shocked. Some of them have played under six different managers here in a relatively short period of time, each one coaching differently and acquiring players to suit their style of play. The result is we've got a group of players rather than a team. The Board must allow things to stabilise even if they get worse in the short term.

I agree. I was under the impression that SOD was a long term appointment but the Board lost its nerve and I expect couldn't cope with his dour personality. They seemed to believe that what we needed was a more motivational type of character. Sadly they've picked someone who seems out of his depth and unlikely to be able to build for the future. I had the sense with SOD that he was playing the long game. With SC it looks like tinkering around the edges.

I agree. I was under the impression that SOD was a long term appointment but the Board lost its nerve and I expect couldn't cope with his dour personality. They seemed to believe that what we needed was a more motivational type of character. Sadly they've picked someone who seems out of his depth and unlikely to be able to build for the future. I had the sense with SOD that he was playing the long game. With SC it looks like tinkering around the edges.

He was sacked because of his horrendous record. I can only think the people who said he was beginning to turn it around weren't at the Sheffield home game.

I can't believe that a boarf who panicked and threw aside all the principles they have been preaching will suddenly find calmness and patience, although I suppose that the present incumbents ( alleged ) close friendship with t the chairman will gine him more stability than others were afforded, which woukd be ironic as he is our worse manager since Osman imo.

I guess he is saying he is not used to losing. I thought we made the effort to bring in players who also had that 'winning mentality', Flint involved the the playoffs, so to was El Abd and Moore etc. we had young hungry players, Reid, Bryan etc. have we somehow turned them into more Bristol City losers again?

No matter who plays, or who is in charge we seem to get sucked into a downward spiral of relegation. Why are so many affected, we've been bloody well cursed.

Archived