IGNORED

"i'm A Winner."

Rule The Waves

If a manager has some interest in wanting to form a rapport with the fans:

Don't criticise them to the extent that long serving fans like ciderup are so insulted by his comments that they state they will no longer attend while he's in charge.

Don't publicly indicate it is the fault of the fans that he feels unable to pick long time underperforming players like Fontaine and Kilkenny when it was clearly their own shortcomings and incompetence over a very long period which led to them being unpickable.

When asked by a reporter why you repeatedly fail to acknowledge the fans when approaching the tunnel after a game don't sound completely baffled at the question and answer, 'Why should I'? or words to that effect.

It is expected that all City managers attend Q&A's, if they are arranged, and also take the squad on the odd school visit, of which I recall only one being publicised under SO'D.

His 'elaborate programme notes', though welcome in many respects, were only necessary because the team constantly failed to mirror his fine words by performances on the pitch, and the detailed explanations meant very little while the team he put out to represent his beliefs in how the game should be played so often failed to reflect his words and continued to play so poorly.

It doesn't hurt a manager to genuinely praise loyal fans where appropriate, to acknowledge applause when leaving the field, and to make the occasional positive comment in interviews to give the the fans hope, and help to lift the spirits around a clearly depressed club. In fact you'd think they were basics for anyone wanting to develop any sort of rapport with the fans, and doing the opposite indicates no interest, or even understanding, of the potential benefits to the well being of the club of forming such a relationship.

His 'support your local club' mantra was laudible but unfortunately not encouraged by his negative comments and persona, as well as the awful football and results, which made turning up to support BCFC an increasingly unenjoyable chore for many, and by the time he departed the fans were very visibly detached from him, his vision, and the club, and were staying away in their droves.

Your rhetoric is considerably more boring and dull than SOD ever was!

SOD went to a Q & A for The Exiled Robin and for the ST AND did an interview for The Bountyhunter - he was not "expected" to attend any of these, so you're wrong on that one.

It was also SODs idea to arrange that game at Ashton & Backwell, a COMMUNITY game and he also sorted the school visit after the little girl wrote to him directly about her grandad being ill.

He worked as a community officer for Bournemouth...

He wasn't criticizing the fans for Kilkenny and Fontaine...it was simply the truth, they could not play at AG and that was ultimately due to their failings as you suggest.

"Support your local club" - still there on a sign loud and proud outside AG...someone obviously thought it was a nice sentiment.

And the fans will be flocking. down the gate Saturday with mr media in charge won't they noggers ? the team might be a disorganised, spiritless shambles, who half the time don't appear to know what day it is let alone what position their supposed to be playing in, but hey who cares ?good old cotts is always good for a one liner and thats what counts !

I was at both Sheff U games. I'll say no more, except don't judge anyone on one game.

Fair enough what about the majority of games then? The bottom line is SOD deserved to be sacked and Cotterill was a poor appointment.

The club is at it's lowest point I can remember including 82, Pulis, et all.

My worry is simple, I cannot see anything within the club to suggest we can climb out of this, even avoiding relegation will not put right the ills within. Therefore what can we as supporters realistically do to change how the direction the club is going?

He was sacked because of his horrendous record. I can only think the people who said he was beginning to turn it around weren't at the Sheffield home game.

Sounds like the Sheffield away game was even worse and the goals conceded under SC is much worse than the last stages of the SOD era - SC appointment has moved us backwards

He was sacked because of his horrendous record. I can only think the people who said he was beginning to turn it around weren't at the Sheffield home game.

Is that the one where we should have been out of sight and Shef created one chance to win it at the death?

It would appear the regression from that point is considerable...

Sounds like the Sheffield away game was even worse and the goals conceded under SC is much worse than the last stages of the SOD era - SC appointment has moved us backwards

In what way? the only difference is JET can't move his lazy ass under SC. SOD left us in a mess and we are still in a mess not backward.

Right, so someone who has a much better record than our last manager is moving us backwards??

Again, as I like this fact quite a lot. The Leyton Orient game has been the only fixture where SC has bettered the result of the previous manager in the previous fixture.

SOD didn't have the pleasure of playing Stevenage and the Walsall game was as much to do with a honeymoon period as anything else.

Assessing where we are right now, we are worse. Defensively we have fallen apart. We aren't scoring as many goals, our previously good goal difference is disappearing which could have been worth something come the seasons end.

Cotterill is failing and the fact that the only defence people can (falsely) come up with is he is better than the previous guy is testament to that.

Again, as I like this fact quite a lot. The Leyton Orient game has been the only fixture where SC has bettered the result of the previous manager in the previous fixture.

SOD didn't have the pleasure of playing Stevenage and the Walsall game was as much to do with a honeymoon period as anything else.

Assessing where we are right now, we are worse. Defensively we have fallen apart. We aren't scoring as many goals, our previously good goal difference is disappearing which could have been worth something come the seasons end.

Cotterill is failing and the fact that the only defence people can (falsely) come up with is he is better than the previous guy is testament to that.

Just nonsense. He won 2 out of 18 league games. He failed to beat such teams at home like Shrewsbury and Colchester.

Just nonsense. He won 2 out of 18 league games. He failed to beat such teams at home like Shrewsbury and Colchester.

And until Cotterill plays those teams we won't know the progress will we? This isn't about SOD, it's about the fact that we are worse than at any point this season under Cotterill.

At the start of the season we would lose games because of individual errors, coming away from games bemoaning bad luck as we had played well but not scored the goals or kept the clean sheet. Now we are getting outplayed for the majority of games. Our performances are WORSE and that is a suitable measure.

And until Cotterill plays those teams we won't know the progress will we? This isn't about SOD, it's about the fact that we are worse than at any point this season under Cotterill.

At the start of the season we would lose games because of individual errors, coming away from games bemoaning bad luck as we had played well but not scored the goals or kept the clean sheet. Now we are getting outplayed for the majority of games. Our performances are WORSE and that is a suitable measure.

Just remind me what position we were when SOD left? I will remind you he won 2 league games out of 18.

Under Cotterill we have picked up 11 points from 7 home games, not brilliant but not a complete disaster either.

Away from home, we have only lost at Wolves, Brentford and Sheffield, where most of us wouldn't have expected anything anyway.

Of the 13 games left, I can see us going unbeaten or close to it at home and only one away - Peterboro - where I would be surprised if we picked up anything, based on the home game against them.

I may be wrong, but if not this thread and some of the contributors will look a bit sad, and in any case the constant sniping from day one at a bloke who is on OUR SIDE is embarrassing.

Your rhetoric is considerably more boring and dull than SOD ever was!

SOD went to a Q & A for The Exiled Robin and for the ST AND did an interview for The Bountyhunter - he was not "expected" to attend any of these, so you're wrong on that one.

It was also SODs idea to arrange that game at Ashton & Backwell, a COMMUNITY game and he also sorted the school visit after the little girl wrote to him directly about her grandad being ill.

He worked as a community officer for Bournemouth...

He wasn't criticizing the fans for Kilkenny and Fontaine...it was simply the truth, they could not play at AG and that was ultimately due to their failings as you suggest.

"Support your local club" - still there on a sign loud and proud outside AG...someone obviously thought it was a nice sentiment.

I'll try and keep it short then Kid.

SO'D had no interest, imo, in forming a rapport with the fans - 3 examples given in my post above, although you have interpreted one differently.

He did though have a strong self interest in taking opportunities - as outlined by you above - to attempt to justify his failing methods with rhetoric, which increasigly fell on deaf ears with many.

I like this fact quite a lot, 3 wins in 27.. SC has already 5 wins and he's only been here 3 months, it's hardly glittering form but facts are facts SC is a better manager than SOD is for this club. SOD might write excellent programme notes, but results wise probably our worst ever manager.

Just remind me what position we were when SOD left? I will remind you he won 2 league games out of 18.

And I'll remind you that that is irrelevant.

Ignore SOD. Completely. Assess Cotterill individually without comparison.

Has he been successful in the transfer market?

Does he know his best team?

Have we been better organised at the back?

Have we created as many chances?

Cotterill is not a winner. He is a failure.

I like this fact quite a lot, 3 wins in 27.. SC has already 5 wins and he's only been here 3 months, it's hardly glittering form but facts are facts SC is a better manager than SOD is for this club. SOD might write excellent programme notes, but results wise probably our worst ever manager.

If you're going to include Tamworth in Cotterill's results then you have to include the cup wins under SOD which take his winning tally to 6.

Next.

We seem to be going round in circles. Neither manager has been able to get the return they should have with the players we have (or had). Is this down to management failings or player failings?

As I said elsewhere it seems whoever is in charge and whichever players we have we go backwards not forwards, and have done for too many seasons now.

And I'll remind you that that is irrelevant.

Ignore SOD. Completely. Assess Cotterill individually without comparison.

Has he been successful in the transfer market?

Does he know his best team?

Have we been better organised at the back?

Have we created as many chances?

Cotterill is not a winner. He is a failure.

How on earth is it irrelevant?

How on earth is it irrelevant?

Are you serious Super? SOD is the past, Cotterill should be analysed on his own terms and his own actions.

The timing of SOD's sacking was shoddy, above all else it has left the next manager open to criticism as people can argue we had turned the corner. However, his tenure should be seen as a failure (even if it could be argued that with time it might have been better) and it is judged as a failure on its own merits not with comparisons to Del.

Cotterill should be judged the same way. So I ask those 4 questions again.

When SOD left  

We needed 2 points to get out of the relegation zone with -3 GD   no teams had any games in hand

Now

We need 2 points to get out of the relegation zone with a -8  and teams around us have games in hand

that good enough reminder > we are in a worse position

Are you serious Super? SOD is the past, Cotterill should be analysed on his own terms and his own actions.

The timing of SOD's sacking was shoddy, above all else it has left the next manager open to criticism as people can argue we had turned the corner. However, his tenure should be seen as a failure (even if it could be argued that with time it might have been better) and it is judged as a failure on its own merits not with comparisons to Del.

Cotterill should be judged the same way. So I ask those 4 questions again.

I never said SC was ever the answer, just pointed out that he would have to go some to have a record as bad as the  previous manager.

When SOD left  

We needed 2 points to get out of the relegation zone with -3 GD   no teams had any games in hand

Now

We need 2 points to get out of the relegation zone with a -8  and teams around us have games in hand

that good enough reminder > we are in a worse position

So we are still in a mess then.

Archived