IGNORED

Think It Could Go To The Wire This Year

Loderingo

We've been in a fair few relegation battles in recent years. Last year we were looking sunk since mid-March, while a few years back Easter wins over Cov and Forest meant the last few games weren't needed. This year I think it could go to at least Crewe if not the last game. We seem to be steadily picking up points but not so many as to pull out of it and not so few as to sink without trace. If we look at form over the whole season and pro rata then we could be looking at this situation after 44 games:

Crawley - 62

Col U - 52

Carlisle - 52

Oldham -51

Gills -51

Tranmere -50

City - 47

--------------

Crewe - 47

Shrews - 45

Stevenage - 45

Notts - 41

So in this scenario it would pretty much be a head to head vs Crewe. A win and we might be safe with a game to spare unless Shrews or Stevenage win in which case would need a draw at already safe Crawley. Lose and our only chance is to win at Crawley and hope to sneak it on GD if Crewe or Trannie messed up. A draw leaves multiple permutations

Alternatively if we look at last 8 games form

Crawley - 72

Oldham -55

Tranmere -54

Carlisle - 53

City - 52

Gills -52

Stevenage - 52

--------------

Crewe - 52

Col U - 50

Shrews - 42

Notts - 39

In this scenario Col U's current poor run of form (lost 4 out of 5)has seen them drop into the bottom 4. With so many teams in the mix a win here would almost certainly see us safe. A loss would lead us needing to win at Crawley but might still have a chance. A draw again would have lots of permutations.

Lets hope City can pull away and not leave it this close. Certainly with games against all of the bottom 4 plus Col U it is definitely in our hands. A whole series of relegation 6 pointers really.

Was asked about our chances Saturday morning an I said I thought 50/50. However, I just have a feeling we'll be alright.

Went to the game Saturday and thought, individually, our players weren't that bad. Didn't understand the game plan and thought us bloody unclinical (could easilly have effed it up) but man for man thought we were well worthy of the win.

So I actually believe we have the quality to do it, albeit the flow and pace was very hit or miss.

Archived