IGNORED

Subway

Tins

Almost 200 branches of Subway have stopped serving ham, bacon etc and are serving halal meat only.

As many of you know I'm fine about Halal meat and happy for it too be on the menu, but removing non-halal meat, especially bacon and ham is too far. Muslims make up 3% of the population of Britain and some how the rest of the population cannot have a meat they want from a SANDWICH shop because Subway want to please 3%. Ridiculous.

I shall never go to one of the branches again, mainly because I always have bacon or ham with my sub, but also out of sheer disgust.

And before someone makes this anti-Islam, I have no problem with their belief's but the problem is with Subway for becoming a Muslim shop and forgetting most of their consumers.

Rant over.

Almost 200 branches of Subway have stopped serving ham, bacon etc and are serving halal meat only.

As many of you know I'm fine about Halal meat and happy for it too be on the menu, but removing non-halal meat, especially bacon and ham is too far. Muslims make up 3% of the population of Britain and some how the rest of the population cannot have a meat they want from a SANDWICH shop because Subway want to please 3%. Ridiculous.

I shall never go to one of the branches again, mainly because I always have bacon or ham with my sub, but also out of sheer disgust.

And before someone makes this anti-Islam, I have no problem with their belief's but the problem is with Subway for becoming a Muslim shop and forgetting most of their consumers.

Rant over.

quick question,

where did you find out subway are doing this (ie what proof?) which country is it happening or even area? and why go to subway when you can make a better sarnie yourself?

quick question,

where did you find out subway are doing this (ie what proof?) which country is it happening or even area? and why go to subway when you can make a better sarnie yourself?

1. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2616576/Subway-removes-ham-pork-nearly-200-stores-strong-demand-Muslims-eat-Halal-meat.html

2. I discovered them in the US before they came here' ideal place for a really tasty, filling and good value lunch - lovely choice of bread, lost of fresh salad filling.  I cannot make a better sarnie myself.

However after reading that story earlier today I will never set foot in one again, I'm not supporting a business that actively chooses to support cruelty to animals.

1. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2616576/Subway-removes-ham-pork-nearly-200-stores-strong-demand-Muslims-eat-Halal-meat.html

2. I discovered them in the US before they came here' ideal place for a really tasty, filling and good value lunch - lovely choice of bread, lost of fresh salad filling.  I cannot make a better sarnie myself.

However after reading that story earlier today I will never set foot in one again, I'm not supporting a business that actively chooses to support cruelty to animals.

ahhh the dailymail I'll take that with a pinch of salt then,

Can't say I like subway anyway sooner make my own

quick question,

Daily Mail, Bristol Evening Post, all the papers really.

It's in the UK.

And I like subway because I could "make my own" in the store, without the hassle of buying all the ingredients at home.

Daily Mail, Bristol Evening Post, all the papers really.

It's in the UK.

And I like subway because I could "make my own" in the store, without the hassle of buying all the ingredients at home.

thats fair enough I've never really got Subway, I like to create my own sarnies at home, I can understand them doing it in stores in mainly muslin areas but 185 in the uk is far to much,

Nothing against Halai meat but I really wish we'd stop trying to please others the PM the other day said this is a Christian Country, I suggest we start acting like one and stop pandering

Rant over.

Not a lover of Subway but they will find they have made a mistake here.  There is no logical reason why they can't serve both except they are being lazy.

thats fair enough I've never really got Subway, I like to create my own sarnies at home, I can understand them doing it in stores in mainly muslin areas but 185 in the uk is far to much,

Nothing against Halai meat but I really wish we'd stop trying to please others the PM the other day said this is a Christian Country, I suggest we start acting like one and stop pandering

In Muslim countries it's fine. But in the UK where we love our bacon sarnies. Too far.

I don't even agree we are a Christian country but only 3% of our population are Muslim, it's ridiculous.

Isn't it Subway's prerogative to put on the menu what they want?

I don't mind a Subway, on occasion, for convenience but thought it was a bit rich them having athletes endorse their produce as if it were healthy.

They use the cheapest ingredients they can and right up until recently used as many chemicals and other unsavoury manufacturing techniques as the other fast food chains.

No way would Jessica Ennis be using that shite in her diet. 

quick question,

There are many small bakeries around bristol that have been making great sandwiches for years. The thing is, they havnt got the advertising and marketing clout of Subway. In my opinion subway are bog average. If you want a doorstep sandwich using freshly cut bread and good fillings then get yourself into Denny's bakery on north st. Their sandwiches are unbeatable imo

Rant over.

Subway is, I believe, a franchise-based business so I guess it's down to individual branches/outlets whether they do this

It does seem slightly ridiculous that any branch would do this though as you could quite easily stick the halal meats alongside the non-halal meats and please everyone. Unless, I suppose, the vast majority of your customer are Muslims and the non-halal stuff was going off and being wasted

Rant over.

Have you thought of taking the matter up with the ECHR ?

Subway is, I believe, a franchise-based business so I guess it's down to individual branches/outlets whether they do this

Looks like it's not down to individual branches though. Well from what I can tell from reading the reports.

Have you thought of taking the matter up with the ECHR ?

No?

Looks like it's not down to individual branches though. Well from what I can tell from reading the reports.

Well I know as much about this 'meat-ban' as is in that Daily Mail article, but I do know that most if not all of the Subways in the UK are franchises, which is probably why only a certain fraction of them have made this change. I have no idea how much control Subway PLC has over their policies toward halal meat, I shall enquire in my local Subway post- haste! (And probably grab an Italian BMT while I'm there)

Well I know as much about this 'meat-ban' as is in that Daily Mail article, but I do know that most if not all of the Subways in the UK are franchises, which is probably why only a certain fraction of them have made this change. I have no idea how much control Subway PLC has over their policies toward halal meat, I shall enquire in my local Subway post- haste! (And probably grab an Italian BMT while I'm there)

Don't the franchises have to buy the ingredients from the same place? Therefore surely it will be banned in all?

Was speaking to a mate at weekend who works in the lamb industry. They provide lamb for Sainsburys and he said its all halal because whilst they only use the legs, they sell all the rest of the animal to kebab shops so they have to bless the whole thing.

Not sure if that's common knowledge or not.

Got hooked on Subway in USA as its one of the few relatively healthy fast foods you can get over there!

Don't the franchises have to buy the ingredients from the same place? Therefore surely it will be banned in all?

Yeah, I imagine they do but the article doesn't claim they all have, it specifically states that a certain number of them have, which is making me puzzled about what's gone on. It's still ridiculous that I can't enter any Subway in the UK and order the same sandwich; that's kind of the point, isn't it?!

Why is a curry 'obviously halal'?

Indians aren't Muslims. They have no reason to serve halal meat.

Pakistani, Bangladeshi etc yes.

Indian owned and operated no. Some may not serve beef if they are hindu, but actual "Indian Restaurants" have no need to be Islamified.

Why do you think most Pakistanis call their curry houses Indian? So halal can be slipped in

If there ain't no pork - it's an allah-lovers place.

It's the thin edge of the wedge folks - you can't say you weren't warned.

Bombings, school take-over plots, terrorism funding  'family days', sharia law courts, mass child-rape, Halal only shops, sharia law 'zones' - Islam certainly is the 'religion of peace'.

The only way to change Subway's decision is to vote with your wallets.

So do so. No subway, and for that matter, if you see halal for sale - shop elsewhere.

Wow! What an ignorant and racist response.

Indians aren't Muslims? I will just go and tell my Indian neighbour that he is in fact not Muslim. I think he will be shocked.

I wish all people like you would move to Oz.

Why is a curry 'obviously halal'?

Indians aren't Muslims. They have no reason to serve halal meat.

Pakistani, Bangladeshi etc yes.

Indian owned and operated no. Some may not serve beef if they are hindu, but actual "Indian Restaurants" have no need to be Islamified.

Why do you think most Pakistanis call their curry houses Indian? So halal can be slipped in

If there ain't no pork - it's an allah-lovers place.

Actually, the history of 'The Indian Restaurant' is more interesting and less sinister than that. The first Indian Restaurants spring up in the East End in the years immediately following the Second World War by men who'd been operating as cooks on cargo and military ships heading over from the subcontinent. These were mainly men from what is now called Bangladesh but then was just part of India. Bangladesh, as we know, is a predominantly Muslim area but as 1940s Britain was not known for its geopolitical accuracy, they merely became 'Indian Restaurants'. I think the first establishment to label itself as an 'Indian Restaurant' was in Birmingham in the early 50s, set up by Bangladeshi Muslims. So whenever you eat 'Indian' food over here, you're generally eating bastardised versions of food first brought over here by Muslims (there are many notable exemptions, for example Butter Chicken) or dishes that have been wholly dreamt up on these shores. It should be noted that most of these dishes were not 'Muslim' or 'Hindu' but specific to a given area. Obviously there are hundreds of restaurants run by Hindu or Christian or even Buddhist Indians, but the curry culture in this country can be traced back to those ships cooks from Bangladesh/East Pakistan (as it used to be known)

And also, Pork not generally found (though certainly not excluded from) in Hindu curry either; it's mainly a Goan Christian thing and even then it was due to the influence of Portuguese colonialism rather than local custom

So with your worldly views, what's your take on 50 year old Mohammed marrying 6 year old Aisha, you know, as you have an understanding of this sort of thing? You know, with your sympathy for Ian Watkins.

Or you could ask your Indian neighbour. You must move a lot, as they were Iraqi last year.Or were they African?

I can't remember as they seem to change on a weekly basis.

I suppose being a squatter is like that.

Oh!

I forgot your privileged upbringing you were boasting about. How lucky to live next door to a middle-class Indian Muslim, what are the odds?

Four lies in one post, a personal best my Gary Glitter loving friend.

I'm aware of that Chip - but thankyou for a level headed response.

Indian people who run restaurants have no need, or inclination to serve Halal food - period.

That's why I have no idea why our resident UAF **** is throwing the race card about.

Well, I do, as that's what UAF ***** do - throw the race card about.

Apparently though, RedDerve lives next an upper middle class Indian Muslim! What luck!

In RedDaves defence, I think the point he is trying to make is that India has the third largest Muslim population in the world so to say that because someone is Indian they are by definition not a Muslim is slightly disingenuous. Similarly your description of the term 'Indian Restaurant' somehow being utilised to cover up the proprietors religion is just plain wrong and sounds a bit conspiracy theoryish. So ignorant perhaps, but I don't think you were being racist

Maybe, maybe not.

How many 'Pakistani Restaurants" do you see?

For some reason, 'Indian Restaurant' just seems to be more acceptable to most people. That's not ignorant (like the way you still try to slip one in Chippy), just a reasonable perception.

Or would you disagree, and that infact, most people actually say, jeez, fancy a good Pakistani tonight?

No, most still say 'Indian'.

So wrong perhaps, but I don't think you were being an arrogant patronising buffoon. - Hey, this 'slip in an insult game' is pretty easy!

You were being 'ignorant' in the sense that you were wrong, like when you said "Indians aren't Muslims". I even qualified it by prefixing it with 'perhaps' and it wasn't me that brought the word to the thread but you still need to start an argument

Do you really think that individuals of Pakistani origin who start restaurant businesses call them Indian Restaurants so they can secretly feed you halal meat in the hope you might catch Muslim, or is just that 'Indian Restaurant' is the social convention for such establishments, with a justifiable history and it's a commercial decision to stick with it?

Archived