IGNORED

Subway

Tins

Spent the weekend in bars, clubs and on the beach so couldn't tell you about the city! Stag do is not for sightseeing!

The bars and the beach are two of the reasons it's the best city in Europe! Go back during La Merce in September- best piss up I've ever been to!

Better than Bristol ?

Well we do have our very own 'FC Barcelona of The Conference', but as their Camp Nou is moving to South Glos and the beach at Weston is a bit further out the city than Barcalonetta, I'd say the Catalans win by a nose

What has the EDL got to do with 3% of the population bigging it up over the other 97%?

Don't eat Pork? - piss off to somewhere that doesn't serve it. Like a Muslim restaurant or shop - pretty simple

I think you have it backwards. The Subway shops have chosen to introduce a halal menu because there is a demand* for it in the area. This means that the shops feel that they will make more money by having this menu. You could argue that this is freedom of choice, and it is a cornerstone of the British way of life.

*Demand in this case is an economics term, as in supply and demand.

I think you have it backwards. The Subway shops have chosen to introduce a halal menu because there is a demand* for it in the area. This means that the shops feel that they will make more money by having this menu. You could argue that this is freedom of choice, and it is a cornerstone of the British way of life.

*Demand in this case is an economics term, as in supply and demand.

The key here is choice, if there really was choice, there would be two preparation areas.  

Likewise  at supermarkets, there should be Halal Counters and standard meat counters.  What we have here is a lot of meat products not being marked as  Halal (why hide the fact?  because many many would probably not buy the product if they knew!), the reason in all likelihood, because it is too expensive to install separate service and product areas, so many people get what they are given, and there is no choice.  It is so much easier to get Halal meat, then sell a section as Halal meat, knowing full well you don't have to worry about cross contamination as it is all Halal meat.  Choice it is not!

Ultimately I expect most of us eat a hell of a lot of halal meat and have no clue whatsoever.

Dodgy cheap meats in kebabs, on pizzas, in currys etc etc.

If people really cared about welfare they couldn't eat any processed meat of any kind.

Personally, I don't like the thought of halal meat because I don't think religion should be forced upon anyone.

However, I agree that a huge amount of people kicking up a fuss about halal meat have no interest in how their meat is slaughtered (all halal meats served by subway are stunned first so are humane).

I imagine in highly populated London branches, it makes perfect business sense. However it is frustrating as someone that frequents subway quite often when working away from my office that pork wont be on the menu.

I don't think there is a bigger issue of muslim culture being forced upon Britain. You only have to look at the attempts to set up sharia-law zones to see this.

The key here is choice, if there really was choice, there would be two preparation areas.  

Likewise  at supermarkets, there should be Halal Counters and standard meat counters.  What we have here is a lot of meat products not being marked as  Halal (why hide the fact?  because many many would probably not buy the product if they knew!), the reason in all likelihood, because it is too expensive to install separate service and product areas, so many people get what they are given, and there is no choice.  It is so much easier to get Halal meat, then sell a section as Halal meat, knowing full well you don't have to worry about cross contamination as it is all Halal meat.  Choice it is not!

It is the retailer's choice in this case, not the customers'. The retailer's have chosen, where they think it will enable them to make more money, to sell a halal menu.

This arguement that if you don't want halal then you are racist is nonsense.

If you think all animals deserve the same humane treatment then you will logically come to the conclusion that halal is unacceptable.

Yet these UK chains are telling us their halal meat uses the stun before slaughter method, so it follows the "humane treatment"

The only group that can truly take any moral high ground on this is vegetarians!

If you think all animals deserve the same humane treatment then you will logically come to the conclusion that halal is unacceptable.

I agree that the welfare of the animals that produce our meat is very important. Killing a living creature is something that needs to be done as humanely as possible. However, there is not a huge difference between halal slaughter and the standard method of killing a chicken.

RSPCA factfile

I believe that a large number of people do not care about the animal welfare at all. Many people choose to be outraged by halal slaughter simply because it is Muslim. The lack of discussion of Shechita slaughter tells it's own story.

But the vast majority of halal meat in this country is killed in pretty much exactly the same way as normal meat. Unless you can say, hand on heart, that you know exactly how every scrap of meat you eat (halal or not) is slaughtered, you can't criticise the halal process as it is in modern Britain. I don't go into Burger King and demand to know that the cows were treated with the utmost respect

Where this thread actually started was in regard of Subway pulling pork products from 12% of their shops. I don't disagree with them using halal products, but I do believe that making pork products in unavailable is divisive and contrary to the idea of multiculturism. It would also really piss me off if I went to a store and they put turkey in my Italian BMT

Called all the other stores halal days ago. They don't label for a reason, the reality is that there is way more halal meat than Muslims to eat it because of the simple economics of playing a prayer over a loud speaker and killing your meat as you would have anyway is undeniable.

Yet these UK chains are telling us their halal meat uses the stun before slaughter method, so it follows the "humane treatment"

The only group that can truly take any moral high ground on this is vegetarians!

and i do ;) muslim one at that

But the vast majority of halal meat in this country is killed in pretty much exactly the same way as normal meat. Unless you can say, hand on heart, that you know exactly how every scrap of meat you eat (halal or not) is slaughtered, you can't criticise the halal process as it is in modern Britain. I don't go into Burger King and demand to know that the cows were treated with the utmost respect

Where this thread actually started was in regard of Subway pulling pork products from 12% of their shops. I don't disagree with them using halal products, but I do believe that making pork products in unavailable is divisive and contrary to the idea of multiculturism. It would also really piss me off if I went to a store and they put turkey in my Italian BMT

Most modern factory farming methods are disgusting. I don't like halal, I don't like kosher, I don't like battery farming either.

I think it is a positive thing that people are starting to reject the dominance of halal meat. Liberal left types should be calling for a total ban on non-stunned animal slaughter - not pandering to some backward religion.

Most modern factory farming methods are disgusting. I don't like halal, I don't like kosher, I don't like battery farming either.

I think it is a positive thing that people are starting to reject the dominance of halal meat. Liberal left types should be calling for a total ban on non-stunned animal slaughter - not pandering to some backward religion.

What you said is offensive. Calling someone's religion "backward" is insulting. I'm sure you didn't mean to be rude and simply dislike animal cruelty. You may consider all religions to be out dated in a modern society, but the way you have phrased your post is not making that point.

What you said is offensive. Calling someone's religion "backward" is insulting. I'm sure you didn't mean to be rude and simply dislike animal cruelty. You may consider all religions to be out dated in a modern society, but the way you have phrased your post is not making that point.

no more insulting than getting killed for leaving it though eh? Heaven forbid become a Christian!   :)  In the circumstances I think Backwards is quite generous!

I've never been. Would you recommend it for a family trip? Kids are 5 and 7

I wouldn't recommend it from what I saw. Lots of historical things to see which they won't be interested in and good bars and clubs which is no good again. The beach is nice but you can find nice beaches all over Europe with more for kids to do.

Most halal meat is from stunned animals. I think that's been proven now. The whiners can move on to the next thing to moan about.

A lot of moaning nowadays it seems.

Some is, just like some meat is stunned in normal abattoirs, many abattoirs regularly mistreat animals.  

What  if Religion offends me and I do not want to eat Blessed meat?  Serious question.

no more insulting than getting killed for leaving it though eh? Heaven forbid become a Christian!   :)  In the circumstances I think Backwards is quite generous!

I'm not defending religion. I'd like to see a debate about the humane slaughter of our meat without resorting to name-calling.

Some is, just like some meat is stunned in normal abattoirs, many abattoirs regularly mistreat animals.  

What  if Religion offends me and I do not want to eat Blessed meat?  Serious question.

Then why would you worry about which imaginary deity has been invoked before your meat was killed? Serious question.

It would be very difficult to live in this country (or most western societies) and be offended by Christmas presents, Easter eggs and St George's day.

I'm not defending religion. I'd like to see a debate about the humane slaughter of our meat without resorting to name-calling.

I think it is going to be very hard to prove animals are humanely killed in any abattoir., you would need monitors in every abattoir all the time to guarantee that.

I don't particularly want to offend any abattoir workers now, but, I think imo, there has to be something slightly worrying that anyone would be happy to spend their time killing animals.  I know i couldn't, although I am a massive hypocite as I will happily eat them!  Something not quite right when you can happily kill a animal and do it every day.

Archived