IGNORED

Next Season May Be A Good Opportunity For Us

Loderingo

As people may be aware we operate under SCMP (salary cost management protocol) which limits clubs to spending 60% of their revenue on wages. Last year this worked against us we were stuck paying out for deadwood like Fontaine and Kilkenny.  This summer we've finally been able to clear out the deadwood and this means SCMP can start working for us.  If we look at the average attendances of clubs for 13-14 who will be in our division next year they are as follows:

Sheff U 17.5k

Bradford 14.1k

CITY 11.9k

Barnsley 11.6k (Champ)

Preston  10.2k

MK Dons  9.0k

Donny 9.0k (Champ)

Swindon  8.1k

Yeovil 6.6k (Champ)

P'boro  6.3k

Chesterfield 6.3k (L2)

Vale  6.2k

Gillingham  6.2k

Notts 5,5k

Orient 5.5k

Crewe 4.9k

Walsall 4.8k

Oldham 4.4k

Scunny 4.0k (L2)

Col U 3.7k

Crawley  3.5k

Rochdale 2.9k (L2)

Fleetwood 2.8k (L2) 

Coventry  2.3k

You would expect the relegated clubs' attendances to drop a bit and the promoted clubs' attendances to increase.

The key take away from this is that City can potentially spend up to twice the amount of your average L1 club on wages and 3 times as much as some of the smaller clubs,

This is no guarantee of success of course.  Firstly just because the club can spend 60% of revenue on wages doesn't mean it will.  Secondly you have to spend your money wisely.  Rovers had one of the biggest potential budgets in League 2 and managed to get relegated.  However, research has shown that while clubs under or over perform in the short term, in the long term the clubs who spend the most money tend to be most successful.

There's been a lot of talk about Fleetwood and their big spending owner but they will struggle to get any further up the pyramid and will probably get relegated in a few years unless they can get more bums on seats.  SCMP will take away an advantage of having a big spending owner.

Why is this season a good opportunity?  Because no bigger clubs got relegated (like Wolves the year before).  While Donny and Yeovil are used to this league they will have to work under tighter constraints than us.

If Mr Lansdown allows us to spend up to our cap and Mr Cotterill spends it wisely then we should be in with a good shout of the play offs at least.

NB:  I am assuming that while the rugby coming to AG may help cut costs it won't lead to any extra revenue.

Quite agree. Plus Lansdown can still put money into the club in the form of equity for transfer fees, for example. He's always shown himself to be "willing" on that front.

Cotterill has the basis of a decent, young squad already IMO and it sounds like he's going to add some experience with half a dozen or so permanent signings.

Great opportunity to shape the squad to how he wants it and yes on paper as a club and with the quality of player we are able to bring in, a top 6 finish should absolutely be the aim and not an unrealistic expectation.

It would be a sound theory, if it just applied to the revenue from attendances. But to be fair our commercial and assets side of things is lacking considerably, so we might not necessarily have as much to spend (within FFP) as some clubs who get lesser attendances.

That being said, its about time we had a season where we don't even think about relegation, so lets hope we spend well, regardless of our budget! COYR

Average attendance's don't determine absolute revenues. In our numbers there are a lot of junior/family/student/OAP members who pay a lot less.

Also transferred EastEnders seats are numerous and are well documented as the cheapest adult season tickets in the league.

When the new east end or the other stands are built, surely Lansdown could use one of his "other" business to pump a massive sponsorship deal into the club for a year. A bit like what Man city did when they moved into the "Etihad", just a few hundred million say for a years deal!

When the new east end or the other stands are built, surely Lansdown could use one of his "other" business to pump a massive sponsorship deal into the club for a year. A bit like what Man city did when they moved into the "Etihad", just a few hundred million say for a years deal!

No need...

Quite agree. Plus Lansdown can still put money into the club in the form of equity for transfer fees, for example. He's always shown himself to be "willing" on that front.

I confidently predict that next season will be OUR season - as I have done for the last 54 years. Once or twice, I've even been right...

I remember saying we would get into Europe at the start of our last season in the old Div 1, we all no how that ended  :facepalm:

A frightening reminder of our (current) status when we see that only 5 (including BCFC) has attendances in excess of 10K

Under Osman, we used to get 7-8k in the equivalent championship.

Out attendances have been good. Excellent, if you take into account recent failures on the pitch.

A good season will see us getting 13-14k average next season (pretty much full house with the redevelopment going on)

Under Osman, we used to get 7-8k in the equivalent championship.

Out attendances have been good. Excellent, if you take into account recent failures on the pitch.

A good season will see us getting 13-14k average next season (pretty much full house with the redevelopment going on)

I wonder if the lack of seats will actually lead to higher attendances and people having to commit earlier to make sure they'd get in.  

Anyone know how the league would stand on restricting away numbers during redevelopment? A similar attendance to last year could mean seriously few matchday tickets for 'bigger' games.

Another thing..... BCFC are seen as a 'Bigger' Club in this division. Players and Agents are going to have to realise and lower their expectations coming here, when it comes to wages.

Am I the only one who is not convinced we are thought of as a big club in this league by neutrals? Several teams in this league have played in the premiership or have even won things in the longer past.

When Rovers fans claimed they were a big fish in league two we howled with laughter.

The reality is Bristol does not have a big team. This is not a problem though....if we were size obsessed we would be following someone like Man Utd.

Although we obviously need to show a big improvement next season it's the season after when we really need to go up. While we're comfortable in L1 with the salary cap if we get promoted to the Championship we'll struggle with the FFP rules especially if the stadium's like a building site with reduced capacity. If we start in the Championship in 2016/17 with the stadium development finished that would be ideal, if we got there a year earlier we might come straight back down because of financial constraints.

The key is a good start. 15 points after 18 games is not an option.

So it's mass suicide if that happens? I honestly don't understand this "not an option" and "unacceptable" stuff. It reeks of Americanism to me...

I often wonder if Ashton Gate will change it's name when the development is finished to the Hargreves & Lansdown Ashton Gate. Just so a good few mill can be added to annual turnover, via sponsorship revenue.

In reality, Hargreaves Lansdowne is a major PLC owned by its shareholders and with a strategic marketing plan built around developing positive brand awareness among its target market segment.

If it was Joe Scrott's plumbing co owned by one person, the option to throw cash at the sole owner's plaything might be more viable. Assuming said owner had the funds freely available to divert away from the core business.

So in my humble view we will not be attending the Hargreaves Lansdowne arena anytime soon....

In reality, Hargreaves Lansdowne is a major PLC owned by its shareholders and with a strategic marketing plan built around developing positive brand awareness among its target market segment.

If it was Joe Scrott's plumbing co owned by one person, the option to throw cash at the sole owner's plaything might be more viable. Assuming said owner had the funds freely available to divert away from the core business.

So in my humble view we will not be attending the Hargreaves Lansdowne arena anytime soon....

Nurse! crack open the natch...he's starting to talk sense.......

Not sure it will be our year, we are still in a state of flux and rebuilding both squad and ground. If we had gone up with the squad that finished last season, likelihood is that we would have struggled/ got relegated, better to build a squad that can not only go up, but also compete at a higher level.

Not sure it will be our year, we are still in a state of flux and rebuilding both squad and ground. If we had gone up with the squad that finished last season, likelihood is that we would have struggled/ got relegated, better to build a squad that can not only go up, but also compete at a higher level.

This is why it is imperative that we bring in the right players...one's that will grow with the team...they have to have experience but not be at the end of their careers.

It's all well and good having a back bone of experience, but if you have to keep replacing them every year or two, because they are now too old, then it becomes of vicious circle of going no where fast.

That's why I'm so peeved at El Abd being signed on a 3 and half year deal at 30 years old.

If we are to gain promotion in the next couple years...what good, is a then 31/32 year old CB in the Championship that's not good enough for a Championship side at 30?

I think Sheff Utd will walk it next season. I also think we will just make the play offs, that's a realistic target considering the players at helm and the budget we have over other clubs in this division.

Archived