IGNORED

What Type Of Forward?

Bat Fastard

Both Freeman and Little look like really excellent additions to the squad. Both are really good at crosses in to the box - but we have no aerial threat at all up front. I would like to think that SC is looking for a John Galley type of forward to convert all those crosses. Those really were the days!!

A target man type I reckon, a replacement for Barnett so someone in the same mould but better.

I reckon we'll sign either Elikobi or Nosworthy in defence, a keeper for cover, and reckon we'll bring in a well known striking target man option from either league one or league two. That or a premier league youngster on loan.

But from the tone of Burts interview I get the impression we aren't looking to loan anyone unless its for cover for injuries if they happen, I think they want a squad that can compete and get promoted and compete in the Championship without too much tweaking needed.

I think we could do with a more experienced target man-esque striker who may not necessarily start every game but can come into the side and give us a different option against the more physical defences in this league. I certainly don't want to see Tyrone Barnett in a City shirt again.

Forget about yer target man, SC was after Grigg who isn't a target man...

Although Stockhausen shot that rumour down saying we never bid for him ? and also Walsall also said they haven't had any bids for him, so was SC really after him at all ?

We need someone who doesn't mind kicking and elbowing his way through, need to be more nasty this season

One who scores goals.

This. As I believe the kids say nowadays.

If you look at the current World Cup I really can't see many "target men".  Football seems to have evolved so that the "big lump up front" is a thing of the past.  I'd like to see a fast, defend from the front, get in behind type forward.  i.e. Baldock lookalike.

We need someone who doesn't mind kicking and elbowing his way through, need to be more nasty this season

Give it up already.  He's been banned for 4 months.

The days of the old fashioned target man are done.  If we're to sign another forward it would be nice to have a powerful player but making a goalscoring contribution is more important.  We didn't lack for goals from forwards last time at all.

The days of the old fashioned target man are done.  If we're to sign another forward it would be nice to have a powerful player but making a goalscoring contribution is more important.  We didn't lack for goals from forwards last time at all.

bad news for the likes of Giroud,Zlatan and Carroll  .

This. As I believe the kids say nowadays.

If you look at the current World Cup I really can't see many "target men".  Football seems to have evolved so that the "big lump up front" is a thing of the past.  I'd like to see a fast, defend from the front, get in behind type forward.  i.e. Baldock lookalike.

Maybe, but I have noticed that England are not the only team in this tournament to be undone by the accurate 40/50 yard "punt" up the field. Is it possible that with all the "tip tap" Spanish style football, that defenders have forgotten how to deal with the big hoof?

What would we say to Ishmael Miller?

I am not sure if he's a free agent or not..

Always had lots of potential, strong, powerful and 25 or so.

we might say " we prefer that you stay in Bristol during the week when there are two games rather than buggering off to Nottingham every five minutes "

I know! I remember seeing him rip us apart at AG when at WBA. Had a few injuries

Always remember him ripping the rovers several new ones during an FA battering a few years back.

At that time he was genuinely awsome. Injuries have certainly halted his career, but he seemed to be effective in a struggling Yeovil team (penalties aside) and, if fit, would tear this league apart.

Having said that, I wouldnt think he is the "type" that SC is looking for here.

More or less spot on. I believe the phrase that's usually employed is "physical presence". People automatically associate this with a type of player they don't like (or think they won't like) and immediately come up with a predictable knee-jerk reaction, but sometimes - perhaps especially at L1 & L2 level - you encounter teams with a couple of gorillas at centre back who try to bully and intimidate the opposition forwards. You have to be able to deal with it, like it or not.

We can look a bit lightweight in these situations and you can lose games because of an inability to field a man who can look after himself and take some of the pressure of the smaller guys. It helps other payers like Sam Baldock (and he's said as much himself in post-match interviews on occasion) in matches where physicality is one of the factors likely to determine the outcome.

We've seen this ingrained prejudice before on OTIB in relation to players who attract tags like "targetman" and "journeyman" and we need to be a bit more open-minded about recruiting players who can do a necessary job for the team, even if it's not always pretty to watch.

Archived